Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Buying one of every Chisel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
project farm is a treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2szflBzicM

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it really is

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

they even have a vid on making biodiesel, which will be an upcoming hobby for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwpKA7oBmWY

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

that but about 4x the size. Blade caught the knot, locked up for like 10 milliseconds and then everything gave way and all the stored tension kicked the board back out the feed and blasted him in the hand

oh right, yeah big industrial machinery is kinda beyond the scope of this thread imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

anyway, spokeshaves are the best hand tool

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There are a bunch of dads on youtube that tell you things about your car. It's pretty cool.

my dad used to do everything himself on his car and I liked to watch him and help him a bit when I could

it inspired me to never consider doing any of that poo poo myself because it was such a pain in the rear end lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

modern cars are way harder to work on, not sure its really worth it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

i wont even gently caress with my 2005 expedition really. i'll change oil and air filters but if it needs plugs? to the shop it goes. Too loving many trim panels and STEPS 1-8: REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR, A/C COMPRESSOR (PURGING THE REFRIGERANT), BATTERY, INTAKE MANIFOLD AND VALVE COVERS to do anything at all.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rotor posted:

oh he did do it on older cars that were easier to work on, but he never had the proper tools and our driveway was lovely and cramped and he still embarked on complex stuff like replacing the distribution belt or the clutch. for that last one it was on a renault r18 iirc and he had to hoist the engine and I don't remember what ridiculous jury rigged method he employed but these project always involved a lot of swearing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

all of my projects involve a lot of swearing

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I have to watch my swearing because my garage is next to my sweet old neighbors' house and it's the summer so they have their adorable little grandkids over all the time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

i wont even gently caress with my 2005 expedition really. i'll change oil and air filters but if it needs plugs? to the shop it goes. Too loving many trim panels and STEPS 1-8: REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR, A/C COMPRESSOR (PURGING THE REFRIGERANT), BATTERY, INTAKE MANIFOLD AND VALVE COVERS to do anything at all.

The trim stuff is such a huge pain in the rear end. I broke my side mirror assembly and to replace it I need to remove the entire door trim. I used some duct tape instead.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

maybe new cars are fun to fix if you're an EE and love reading error codes and replacing subassemblies but man idk

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

rotor posted:

maybe new cars are fun to fix if you're an EE and love reading error codes and replacing subassemblies but man idk

the thrill wears off quickly after you spent two hours with a multimeter and wiring diagrams from a sketchy russian website to prove that your ac compressor clutch is getting voltage but never engaging, only to still get charged for diagnosis time when you bring it in for a new compressor

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm trying to fix the 40 year old cassette deck from my car RN, havin' a blast. Got a Don Henley tape at the ready in case I pull it off

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

I'm trying to fix the 40 year old cassette deck from my car RN, havin' a blast. Got a Don Henley tape at the ready in case I pull it off

I wonder if the cassette player in my truck still works. probably not and I don't have anything to try it with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
know we have a thread for photography but as a hobby it gets me out of the house and I have recorded more memories of my kids than I otherwise would have and have met some really nice people in the tfp modelling scene and you also get to geek out on the camera poo poo too and I just think it's neat

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rotor posted:

i am an ee and the newest car i have ever owned was made in 1969, so i dont think you're right there

i mean i also need to build a new harness for the fuel injected motor that's going into it, but it will be much simpler than the oem stuff

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

know we have a thread for photography but as a hobby it gets me out of the house and I have recorded more memories of my kids than I otherwise would have and have met some really nice people in the tfp modelling scene and you also get to geek out on the camera poo poo too and I just think it's neat

did u see both canon and nikon are gonna stop making SLRs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dslrs are the crts of cameras

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What happened to mustache and beard guys? That seems like a good hobby.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Taking your manliest trait and turning it prissy and foppish, that's a hobby I guess.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ll never find it again but way back some goon posted their array of probably over a hundred brushes, creams, mugs, razors, etc.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
their makeup kit

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

makeup owns

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
make up doesn't necessarily imply cosmetics, just "making up your face" which doing beardo rituals certainly is

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i, to my eternal shame and regret, cannot grow a beard or moustache. i am 41 years old

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What happened to mustache and beard guys? That seems like a good hobby.

honestly it’s ableist against us who can’t grow nice beards

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
if u use dude wipes and man branded beauty products u will grow a beard. more beard if u don’t use any wipes at all

i have a middlin grade beard and tbh I don’t see the appeal. beats shaving tho

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
paint decoy birds to make friends with real birds and then string them along emotionally

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

i, to my eternal shame and regret, cannot grow a beard or moustache. i am 41 years old

suddenly i get why you have linus as your avatar

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

akadajet posted:

honestly it’s ableist against us who can’t grow nice beards

owned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have beard it’s kind of part of who I am

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Improbable Lobster posted:

paint decoy birds to make friends with real birds and then string them along emotionally

i have a blank decoy for this but i need to get a new hobby before i start painting on it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
become a cobbler

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies

tag yourself, i’m talking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im not reading

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i'm decorative birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Blender is free, open source software suite that does 3d computer modeling and so much more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRqY_20ti9A

blender.org

It's free so you may as well give it a whirl, all you've got to lose is some time.

Swing by the YOSPOS blender thread!:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893167