Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
aw man i thought parenti was cool

terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Parenti is cool. :colbert:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

To Kill A Nation and Parenti's work in general was a major eye opener for me, but when Ames or when people who live in Serbia support the massacre claims (Lily Lynch or the RWN guests), I do have a hard time squaring the circle in my head. Sometimes I think Parenti is right, that the numbers were super inflated. But then I trust Ames who seems to have researched this just as exhaustively. The entire conflict was terrible, and I believe without a doubt the Western media lied about some stuff (or just published unverified claims), and others they greatly exaggerated or highlighted to give cover to NATO

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
im a little late but that was a really good newsletter, dolan is right “The Private History of A Campaign that Failed" is worth a read if you haven't.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Parenti is cool. :colbert:

no, you don't understand. the baby must be thrown out with the bathwater.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Parenti's N-word moment (geNocide)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

they're all just temporarily confused roman citizens anyways, dont see what the issue is

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
in the book, parenti name dropping mr bernard sanders for his support of the nato bombing seemed personal

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I think this was posted here before but it's worth another, and there's a brief moment where Parenti brings up John Lennon at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNQEHbusSA&t=103s

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Serbs are orcs, croats are orcs, bosniaks are uruk-hai, kosovars are goblins, slovenes are kobolds.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tito really broke the mold of being a Croat.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gotta say, didnt expect Tito's big econ trick to be continuously ask for loans and never pay them back

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Tito was GOATed rip tito

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hey ben aris is back on to talk economic war re: ukraine/russia

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

crepeface posted:

hey ben aris is back on to talk economic war re: ukraine/russia

He's a great guest, totally called the shortage fallout from the sanctions.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he has a very nice voice in my opinion

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I started listening to the annibale episodes, and man, this show is hitting levels of "cool knowledgable uncle" I didn't even know were possible. it's also pretty amazing going back and seeing their predictions from a few years ago pan out.

I think Aris is a great guest, he's not always spot on, but he was saying that the sanctions would hit the west harder than russia before anyone, and it seems to be true. that gives him a lot of credit. this winter will be really interesting to see how much pain europe will take in order to defend "shared values".

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
It was quite eye opening to hear him describe the non-western parallel sphere of influence that's bound to grow. It makes total sense too - the "developing world" has been in that state for long enough that they're just developed now, and why shouldn't they take advantage of that? Economic belligerence from the US seems like it could only backfire from here out (worse than usual) . India's permissive handling of the Russian shipping fleet, for example.

I was also struck by how Germany has some 20 remaining years of Russian oil dependance before green energy would replace it. With that frame, Putin's choice to attack makes so much more sense. Their leverage will expire soon, so this is their shot at flipping the table.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's funny that clancy's Red Storm Rising happens very differently; a european war starts because russia can't make enough gas

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

beer gas canister posted:

I was also struck by how Germany has some 20 remaining years of Russian oil dependance before green energy would replace it. With that frame, Putin's choice to attack makes so much more sense. Their leverage will expire soon, so this is their shot at flipping the table.
also russia gave themselves who knows how many billions in windfall from the increasing the price of oil and natural gas by invading. they’re gonna get another big chunk of ukraine AND some nice walking around money

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

William Hogeland interrupting everyone's celebration to remind the crowd that Sherman was a white supremacist makes me think the 1619 Project debates made a big impact on him. He generally was a critic, but mostly on the specifics of the argument. I never got the impression he was invested in defending the symbolism of the US War for Independence as a positive historical development.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm deeply jealous of everyone who attended the live show. Also the Blowback crossover is another nice episode. Definitely feels like perfect timing to revisit the Korean War, especially with an American Korean war movie coming out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/xruiztru/status/1553302022430097410

Lmfao the greeks lost over a 3rd of the island.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sounds like they should have taken those quota agreements!!!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm deeply jealous of everyone who attended the live show. Also the Blowback crossover is another nice episode. Definitely feels like perfect timing to revisit the Korean War, especially with an American Korean war movie coming out.

What movie?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Tankbuster posted:

What movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDEGP6VjYY

Looks bad

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

What movie?

The Chad Jihad posted:

the blowjob brothers

aka devotion

e
maybe those top guns should have been thirsty for cum instead of blood

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Technically this is a prequel to The Battle at Lake Changjin.

Johnathon Majors is playing a guy who gets killed at the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Committing war crimes to beat racism :patriot:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
was the notion of a american gi taking a dead guy's identity so common that lead people to believe the kim il sung story and all the fiction characters like don draper and skinner?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
re: airfield explosions in crimea.

can't remember where i saw it, but i was under the impression that all HIMARS have their targeting go through the US? a lot of people seem to think sabotage is more likely.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

re: airfield explosions in crimea.

can't remember where i saw it, but i was under the impression that all HIMARS have their targeting go through the US? a lot of people seem to think sabotage is more likely.

yeah it was sabotage

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

War nerd episode on the partition

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

War nerd episode on the partition

i'm excited

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Depressing if enlightening episode.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

by luck I've been listening to 252 — Irish War or Independence & Civil War with Brian Hanley over the past couple days while I do chores, solid episode

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is there a list out there of all the books the boys have recommended?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
john going to chapo days before the big wins by ukraine was another unfortunate case of poor timing

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

john going to chapo days before the big wins by ukraine was another unfortunate case of poor timing

I really like RWN, but lol:

https://twitter.com/Forever_Wario/status/1569752556640911361