Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

AITA for giving our youngest child a “better” life than the older kids?

I have some sympathy to this because I do feel like my much younger siblings got a better run of things, and I could see myself venting about it to a friend or something, but on the other hand I'm just happy for them and wouldn't want them to feel bad about that.

DemoneeHo posted:

a dispute about customer skills is tearing apart my agrotourism business

I'm picturing my retail coworkers from back in the day complaining to management that I'm not putting enough variety in how I repeat the weekly sales to the customers. :nallears:

Who the gently caress has time for this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi, I handle food and drink at a local theatre and I'm really upset because the lead actors keeps saying the same poo poo every night. I think this is very annoying and unprofessional and the actors should switch up their lines for every performance.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

How about some tree law!

AITA for cutting down a neighbors tree that was causing a huge mess on my grandpas property?

quote:

My grandpa is in his late 80s and for almost 50 years his yard was his absolute price and joy. My grandma died shortly after giving birth to my mom and my grandpa maintained the yard as a tribute to her. He can’t do it anymore so we help out whwre we can.

His original neighbor had a willow tree that the trimmed in such a way that the seed pods and leaves would not fall on my grandpas property. A younger couple bought the house a few years ago to turn into an Airbnb and they let let the tree just grow. The leaves and sees pods then blew into my grandpas yard creating a huge mess.

This would lead my grandpa to get into these huge finks because he couldn’t go out and clean it up. I tried to have a conversation with the owners about hiring a landscaper, they would know what to do as my grandpa and his previous neighbor had a system that worked for 20 years.

How to put this, they are very uppity people who don’t give a crap about the character of the neighborhood and they said the tree photographs well the way it is for their Airbnb ads. I emailed them and Airbnb to see if we could come up with a solution. They refused and told me to stop bothering them.

I decided to take it into my own hands I went and cut down the tree. I waited for a time when I was able to talk to an bathroom remodels who said he would be there for 7 days—no Airbnb guests. I basically blended in with the other workers and brought that piece of crap down. Th stump is a total hack job and looks bad but I did remove all the wood and we’ll use it for campfires this year at mountain bike races.

My sister and cousins think I opened up a huge can of worms that we all will deal with and have called me rear end in a top hat among other things. But so far there’s no fall out.

AITA ?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

How about some tree law!

AITA for cutting down a neighbors tree that was causing a huge mess on my grandpas property?

quote:

My sister and cousins think I opened up a huge can of worms that we all will deal with

heh heh heh, yeah

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I just trespassed and destroyed my neighbor's property, in the process likely impacting their business. They have records of my interactions complaining about the tree, but just to be safe I should probably also post about this on a public forum."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DemoneeHo posted:

a dispute about customer skills is tearing apart my agrotourism business

Jenn and John will be useful when they transition from agritourism to their stated field of agrotourism.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Baron von Eevl posted:

"I just trespassed and destroyed my neighbor's property, in the process likely impacting their business. They have records of my interactions complaining about the tree, but just to be safe I should probably also post about this on a public forum."
"Also, I kept the wood, which is almost certainly being stored on my land and is easily visible."

Did anyone crosspost this to the legal advice forum? Those cats loving love tree law cases.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why not just trim the part of the tree overhanging the lawn?? Depending on where you live you can usually trim up to the property line.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I like that he thought he was being sneaky and no one noticed him cutting down a big rear end willow tree and stacking the wood on the property next door.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nah, he's good, most bathroom remodels end up cutting down a tree or two as a side effect

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao that that dude finally figured out a way to be the bigger jerk in a story that involved AirBnB housing hoarder scumfucks

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
lmao of course he doubles down in the comments

"i just destroyed six digits worth of my neighbor's property, you people must be idiots if you think i'll get in any kind of trouble for this", lol too bad we'll never hear how it goes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

uppity

Hmmm...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Beachcomber posted:

Please, no meat touching sir.

Lol

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you poo poo too long into the abyss...

You poo poo?

coronatae posted:

IMO take the kid to the pro, let the pro discuss that it will look bad, if the kid still wants it let the pro do it. Unless they're refusing outright.

In the 1990s I asked a hair cutting person (beautician? stylist? I don't know the correct term) to cut my chin-length hair long in the front and short in the back. She refused. Years later a very similar haircut appeared on Kate Gosselin.

From Captain Awkward:

quote:

Hi,

This is my first post here! 🙂

This guy (22, he/him) was super into me (21, she/her). I told him that I found him attractive a day before leaving for home for a week. He took that very well. We even had a good, long conversation after that (the week I got back).

We stay back after class and study together but we weren’t supposed to do that the week I got back. However, he got snarky during that conversation and told me to stay back. The day before I did that, I texted him informing him that I would be staying back. He bailed on me the next day. When I confronted him about it, he said that he did see my name pop up but he had received so many messages that he didn’t read them.

He texted me the next day and apologized. I asked him what his preferred method of communication was. He got back to me EXACTLY 24 hours later and said he doesn’t use his phone much so it would be best to talk to him in person. I found that weird bc he always used to get back to me within 2 hours before that. I was too angry to reply.

Two days later, he came and stood by my table (my friends were with me) with a friend (facing it) in hopes that I would say “hi”, I didn’t. The next day, he kept staring at me as I walked by him, again I ignored him.

This week his friend (22, she/her) asked me when I would start studying with him again, I panicked and said next week.

His friend is still SUPER nice to me and I don’t know what’s happening.

He has always been super outgoing and sweet to everyone including me but he’s also a bit weird. For example, he finds out things about me (certainly through mutual friends bc we have a lot of friends in common) that I never told him and then he confirms them with me. He says like “Were A, B and C in the same class as you in grade 7?” or “Were G, H and I in the same class as you in grade 11?” which points to the fact that he has talked to them about me bc I wasn’t friends these people (nor have I added them on social media) but he is. He also found out that nobody from my sister’s college has gotten residency in her hospital after her. I don’t know how he figured this out. He said he asked around but I hadn’t told him my sister’s name (he probably stalked my social media for that tho).

He tricked me into studying with him. He said he had no idea how to study for the licensing exams and how he didn’t know anyone who had given them so I offered to study together. During our first study session he told me his cousin had given the exams this year and had matched into a residency program. Then the next week he told me about a senior (one of his close friends) is also planning on giving it this year. I thought he didn’t know anyone who had appeared/ was planning on appearing for them.

My thoughts keep racing, maybe he’s trying to reject me or maybe I’m just overreacting. Maybe he’s trying to act aloof in an attempt to make me like him more or something idk. My friend says he’s trying to manipulate me and it does make sense.

I don’t know if I should reach out. My ex was super manipulative so I’m scared that he might take advantage of me reaching out first.

Any thoughts on what he’s trying to do and what my next step should be?

Thank you,

Frustrated

ugh

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

quote:

We stay back after class and study together but we weren’t supposed to do that the week I got back. However, he got snarky during that conversation and told me to stay back. The day before I did that, I texted him informing him that I would be staying back. He bailed on me the next day.

Is this written by an AI?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I don't really know what is going on there but when in doubt, sever. And it's troubling that any of these people are apparently becoming doctors or something like that.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
You like tree law? How about some tunnel law??

quote:

My neighbor won't unlock their side of the tunnel, has anyone ever experienced this before?

Just bought a house here and the neighbor has the door on his side of the tunnel between our basement's locked. Is this normal?

Edit: my post with the diagram was removed, here is a link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/comments/w9lnbe/tunnel_op_here_there_was_a_request_for_a_diagram/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DogoDogo posted:

Lol, what :psyduck:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How to put this, they are very uppity people who don’t give a crap about the character of the neighborhood

OP's probably going to demolish the neighbors' house in broad daylight next, since he seems so keen on going a-razin' in the sun

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

DogoDogo posted:

Oh, so this is the Minneapolis sex tunnel* debacle that people are retweeting on my feed

*Their words, not mine

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DemoneeHo posted:

Oh, so this is the Minneapolis sex tunnel* debacle that people are retweeting on my feed

*Their words, not mine

sex tunnel? I thought they closed that place down

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

quote:

there's no statutory or constitutional right to exit the tunnel on your neighbor's side of the tunnel.

OP posted:

Exactly. There is no explicit law forbidding us entry or exit from either side of the tunnel. The constitution says that rights do not have to be enumerated, they are self-evident.

Thus, and I can't stress this enough, My neighbor and I both have a right to entry and exit from either side of the tunnel.

This is my legal right.

quote:

OP, are you a sovereign citizen by any chance?

OP posted:

Common law and maritime law don't apply here. This is basic tunnel law, I don't care what color the fringe of the flag is.

/r/relationships: This is basic tunnel law

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yuuuuup. The text part of that post is accurate and really was posted seriously by some dude that doesn't understand why he can't just wander into his duplex neighbor's house through the basement doors. The linked post and diagram is one of the poo poo posts r/Minneapolis has been cranking out since then. It's been nothing but tunnel memes since the original post.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

torgo posted:

Freeman under the land

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Don't Tread on My Sex Tunnel

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DemoneeHo posted:

*Their words, not mine

The "Make the Hiawatha Golf Course Into a Public Sex Forest" people have set their goal a bit lower.

https://racketmn.com/why-cant-minneapolis-have-a-public-sex-forest/

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How about some tree law!

the injustice of never seeing the resolution of this :smith:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Baronjutter posted:

Hi, I handle food and drink at a local theatre and I'm really upset because the lead actors keeps saying the same poo poo every night. I think this is very annoying and unprofessional and the actors should switch up their lines for every performance.

This reminds me of the one about the stage actress who ad libbed "I'll screw your mother" instead of "I'll kill your mother" in a play she was doing.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

torgo posted:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that you can entry and exit from either side of the tunnel.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

red means no

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hughlander posted:

:wtc: :nms:

TIFU by admitting to my girlfriend that I pretend she is a giant cockroach when we have sex.

Update:

UPDATE 2 (another year later)

Next post is going to be an alpha chad-cockroach cucks him, calling it now.

OP's cousin is the anal vore guy

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so if I were to build some kind of couch cushion tunnel from my door to my neighbor's door, I could go into their house?

how about a breezeway? would a breezeway count?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
okay so let's say the neighbor unlocks his door. now OP's in his neighbor's basement, exercising his legal right to enter and exit. now what, what was the plan from there

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for telling my girlfriend that she cleans up well despite being poor?

quote:

My GF comes from a struggling family. She has 12 siblings (yes, 12) and faced financial problems her whole life. It still continues to this day - she lives in a tiny apartment with her family as she has to care for her mom and they consistently have problems with the electricity, mould etc.

I hate to discuss my status in comparisons to hers but I’m “blessed”. (Despite this, I’m passionate about supporting those in need and currently involved in the development of a charity). Anyway, this is about my GF so moving on….

You wouldn’t be able to tell that she’s disadvantaged by just looking at her. She dresses well, looks clean, and has the features to pull off the image she desires to project.

Here’s the problem…

A few days ago I brought her along to dinner with a few friends. She was nervous about meeting them because she felt she didn’t fit in. However they adored her. She looked stunning in her dress, spoke well and grabbed everyone’s attention. It was all effortless and she was the highlight of the evening despite her humble background.

On our way home afterwards she told me that my friends were sweet. Here’s the problem; I told her that she cleans up well despite coming from a poor background. She stared at me and then got mad. I asked her what’s wrong and she said that everything is wrong and that I’m an rear end in a top hat. I explained that she’s great at fitting in and that’s actually hard to pull off when you’re working with little. So it was a huge compliment.

She thinks I’m an rear end in a top hat now and cancelled our upcoming trip abroad. Am I really the rear end in a top hat here? Everyone I’ve spoken to disagrees but I want to expose myself to a variety of opinions.

This is either:

1. The biggest bait post to be posted.
2. Someone so terminally unaware that it surprises me on how they are alive.

I vote number 1.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Meighbors

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

okay so let's say the neighbor unlocks his door. now OP's in his neighbor's basement, exercising his legal right to enter and exit. now what, what was the plan from there

Maybe he's like a cat and just wants to have the ability to be on either side of a door at any time of his choosing, regardless of whether there is anything to be accomplished by it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

How about some tree law!

my_tree_crimes.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It came from the search terms:

AITA for saying no to my aunt cutting/bleaching my hair for her interview with a hair salon?

quote:

Today my aunt called me out of the blue and said that she got a second interview with a local hair salon. I was very happy for her, when she asked if I could help her out. I said absolutely. She then told me she needs two people to take to her interview so she could demonstrate how she cuts/highlights hair. She already got my cousin's approval, but needed a female model. She told me she needs to cut my hair (which is at midback length) to my neck and bleach fourteen 1-inch sections. My hair texture is thick and kinky. I love my hair the way it is, and I've never even been to a hair salon. The only time I have ever done anything to my hair was in middle school, when my aunt took me to her house and tried bleaching a section of my hair with her new bleaching kit. When my dark hair wouldn't lighten, she took a hair straightener and put it on the foils. I could actually smell my hair burning. I don't know a single thing about hair, so I thought it was fine. When I got home the section of my hair was a bright copper and just fried. I immediately begged my mom to take me to the drug store and messily dyed the section back to black, and refused to let my hair down until it grew out.
When my aunt told me this, my jaw dropped. I asked her if she had any other people she could ask, to which she said no. I really wish she told me what she was going to do before I agreed to help her. Mostly, I regret not telling her no while still on the phone, but she sounded so happy. I'm horrified. AITA if I call my aunt back and tell her no?
Edit: Texted my aunt and let her know that I am uncomfortable and definitely unprepared to maintain bleached hair. This irritated my mom, who said this was "a favor" and that hair grows back. But what disturbs me the most is that even if I did agree, my aunt said she would cut my hair to above my neck and bleach half of my head. She already decided what she was going to do to my hair without asking if I preferred a different style, which definitely made me anxious. I'm still going to help my aunt find someone though, but I'm not sure if I'm going to find many people comfortable with a hairstyle already chosen for them. Thank you all for your comments
Edit: I wasn't expecting so many people to respond! I know I've been a bit quiet but I promise I've been reading all of your comments, and I appreciate every single one! Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me with this, it really does mean a lot to me. My mom is still a bit upset but I hope that in a few days we'll be back to normal :) And I promise, the next time someone asks for a favor I will be 100% sure to ask them first! I really want to help my aunt get the position, and I'm still trying to help her find a model! My aunt isn't very adept at using bleach, but she is amazing at cutting hair! But my hair is just way too difficult to work with and wouldn't look flattering on me :( Thank you all so much!

I can’t envision that proposed hairstyle.

AITA for cutting my girlfriend’s hair short?

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together about six months. She’s been talking about needing a haircut, but she didn’t want to pay for it, so she asked me to do it. I told her I’d never cut hair before and had no idea what I was doing, but she said she didn’t care. So I figured, why not, it could be fun.
So before the haircut I asked her how she wanted it, and she told me I could do whatever I wanted. She was very casual about the whole thing, and I thought she didn’t really care how it turned out.
I thought she would look cute with short hair, so I decided to go for it. I started cutting her hair above her shoulders, probably taking off around 12-14 inches of hair.
Pretty soon, when she saw all the hair on the ground and realized how short I was cutting, she stood up and started yelling at me. She said I cut it too short and I should have known she didn’t want short hair.
I tried to calm her down and she ended up sulking while I finished the haircut. I think it turned out pretty good for a free haircut, but she’s still mad at me. I offered to pay for her to go to a real salon but she said they’d just cut it shorter. She obviously hates the haircut and I feel bad, but at the same time I don’t think I did anything wrong. I took “do whatever you want” at face value.

I think I saw this on Calvin and Hobbes

AITA for having my partner cut my hair and then having a barber check her work?

quote:

A little background - My partner (let's call her Bobbi Jean) went to cosmetology school and has cut hair professionally in the past. I am a Marine Corps veteran, and had the importance of a good haircut drilled into me during my formative years.
Bobbi Jean and I purchased a very nice set of electric clippers for her daughter's birthday present and we all agreed that Bobbi Jean could use them to cut my hair when her daughter didn't need them. Before Bobbi sits me down for a haircut, she candidly discloses that she's out of practice and is very explicit about letting me know that it may not be perfect. Throughout the duration of the haircut, she mentions that the light isn't great in the kitchen and that she could really use her glasses. She also mentions that she's not used to cutting hair so short. Further, the scissors that she used didn't cut very well and painfully pulled on my hair. When she was done cutting my hair, she told me that it may not be perfect but it should grow in well. I went to the mirror and saw that overall my hair looked good, but something about the fade seemed a little "off" to me.
Here's where I supposedly messed up - The next day I was scheduled to start an installation job at a warehouse facility. I had to meet with the managers for the first time and wanted to make a good impression. This got me thinking that maybe I should go to my barber and have him check my new haircut. He sat me down and touched up a few areas but overall felt that she had done a good job. Later, I told Bobbi that my barber said that she did a good job. Maybe this isn't the sort of thing you tell your partner for the sake of domestic stability, but I didn't think it was a big deal and I wanted her to know that another industry professional confirmed that her work was good.
Her point of view is that I don't trust her and that even if she doubted herself, I should have been supportive and had faith in her abilities. She feels that I permanently damaged her self esteem and is waiting for an apology. Further, she has told her side of the story to several of her friends that I have to see on a regular basis and they "all agree that I'm being an rear end in a top hat."
I recognize that she is hurt and feeling insecure, but I do not feel that I did anything deliberately underhanded or malicious. Because of her lack of confidence in her own work, the painful hair pulling, and the comments about needing glasses and about the lighting being too dim, I was worried about making a good first impression with the haircut.
AITA?