Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZeusCannon posted:

Any recommendations for a portable outdoor bluetooth speaker?

Doesnt need to be fancy my outside space isnt huge more worried about weather proofing when i forget its out there and dont bring it in

https://a.co/d/dkflWOP

I’ve been using this for years in the shower/outside. It’s been perfect for me, sounds great and holds connection. I managed to drop it and break it once and rebought the same model. The new one was improved in a lot of ways so if I manage to bust this one I’ll almost surely buy another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

Doesnt need to be fancy my outside space isnt huge more worried about weather proofing when i forget its out there and dont bring it in

Been a big fan of the little Bose soundlinks micro. Put out a great amount of sound, quality is nice and of you get more you can pair them in a party mode for surround sound.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to raise a cheap 48" inch TV by about 2 feet. I could just stack a few boxes but I'd like it to look slightly better. . Not interested in wall mounting - I'd like the option to easily change its position. It's currently on top of a ~3 foot high IKEA TV stand, but I need an additional 2 feet or so to get it to standing eye level for dancing games.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to raise a cheap 48" inch TV by about 2 feet. I could just stack a few boxes but I'd like it to look slightly better. . Not interested in wall mounting - I'd like the option to easily change its position. It's currently on top of a ~3 foot high IKEA TV stand, but I need an additional 2 feet or so to get it to standing eye level for dancing games.

not necessarily this one, but you can buy replacement height adjustable stands that screw on where a wall mount would
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pedestal-Mount-Swivel-Feature/dp/B07N4GL2LW/

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Glottis posted:

not necessarily this one, but you can buy replacement height adjustable stands that screw on where a wall mount would
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pedestal-Mount-Swivel-Feature/dp/B07N4GL2LW/

I looked at a couple like this and it doesn't look like any go as high as I need them to - they only offer a few more inches over the current TV feet.

Edit: Found the perfect thing - this will bring my TV almost exactly to eye level and even has a shelf for my laptop. Should be DDR heaven!

https://www.amazon.com/Tilting-Adjustable-600%C3%97400mm-Rolling-Supports/dp/B08F1ZC9BF

Harriet Carker has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jun 17, 2022

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Here's an item I just noticed is on clearance from Misen and I really like my oven steels. I may have to buy another pair for a future gift.

https://misen.com/products/oven-steel-sale?variant=39936941064273

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Oddhair posted:

Here's an item I just noticed is on clearance from Misen and I really like my oven steels. I may have to buy another pair for a future gift.

https://misen.com/products/oven-steel-sale?variant=39936941064273

Thanks for the heads up, been wanting an oven steel for a while. Picked up a 2-pack.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZeusCannon posted:

I have a VAVA VOOM. It's pretty nice and the battery life is impressive as hell.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Anyone recommend a sofa or loveseat that can easily be assembled/disassembled that's not IKEA? I was looking at Campaign, but they've been OOS for like a year now and I don't like the design of the Floyd sofa. As someone who needs to move frequently, it's one less thing to require a moving van for.

halokiller has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Jun 30, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

halokiller posted:

Anyone recommend a sofa or loveseat that can easily be assembled/disassembled that's not IKEA? I was looking at Campaign, but they've been OOS for like a year now and I don't like the design of the Floyd sofa. As someone who needs to move frequently, it's one less thing to require a moving van for.

Lovesac, but they are $$$$

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have this blender. it's a very nice blender from I think the 50s I got at a rummage sale that was in pretty decent shape, no rust or anything, just some of the settings didn't work(sadly liquify is broken).

I've been using it daily to puree watermelon, strawberries, bananas, etc for smoothies, it's loving fantastic and far better than soda or whatever garbage. but I think it's starting to conk out, or maybe I need to get it lubed up or something, because it gets real loud and grindy and sometimes has trouble chopping up some stuff. I dunno if I can even get something like this repaired, so I might as well ask now in case I need a new one, what's the best blender on the market? I'd like options for both on a budget and if money is no option. I've heard Blendtec Blenders are phenomenal, but also beyond that I am entirely unfamiliar with what blenders are good or not. something I can use daily that is easy to clean like this one would be nice, this old one is like 25 pounds of glass and metal, and cleans in seconds so long as you wash it out immediately upon pouring out the smoothie.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://www.target.com/p/ninja-professional-blender-1000w-bl610/-/A-15124276#lnk=sametab

We have this one or a Ninja model basically identical to it. It's awesome. Has handled everything we've thrown in it and is super easy to clean and maintain.

America's Test Kitchen has a bunch of really good blender videos on youtube that cover quite a few over the years.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I have this blender. it's a very nice blender from I think the 50s I got at a rummage sale that was in pretty decent shape, no rust or anything, just some of the settings didn't work(sadly liquify is broken).

I've been using it daily to puree watermelon, strawberries, bananas, etc for smoothies, it's loving fantastic and far better than soda or whatever garbage. but I think it's starting to conk out, or maybe I need to get it lubed up or something, because it gets real loud and grindy and sometimes has trouble chopping up some stuff. I dunno if I can even get something like this repaired, so I might as well ask now in case I need a new one, what's the best blender on the market? I'd like options for both on a budget and if money is no option. I've heard Blendtec Blenders are phenomenal, but also

beyond that I am entirely unfamiliar with what blenders are good or not. something I can use daily that is easy to clean like this one would be nice, this old one is like 25 pounds of glass and metal, and cleans in seconds so long as you wash it out immediately upon pouring out the smoothie.

They're not cheap, but just get a vitamix. Nothing comes even close and they last forever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been using it daily to puree watermelon, strawberries, bananas, etc for smoothies, it's loving fantastic and far better than soda or whatever garbage. but I think it's starting to conk out, or maybe I need to get it lubed up or something, because it gets real loud and grindy and sometimes has trouble chopping up some stuff. I dunno if I can even get something like this repaired, so I might as well ask now in case I need a new one, what's the best blender on the market? I'd like options for both on a budget and if money is no option. I've heard Blendtec Blenders are phenomenal, but also

beyond that I am entirely unfamiliar with what blenders are good or not. something I can use daily that is easy to clean like this one would be nice, this old one is like 25 pounds of glass and metal, and cleans in seconds so long as you wash it out immediately upon pouring out the smoothie.

We have a Vitamix we’re very happy with but they are anything but cheap.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Thirding the Vita-mix rec.

I got mine through Craigslist for $75, though. It’s about thirty years old or so but it’s still crazy powerful. Even a used one is a great deal.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Vitamix has an online refurbished store!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Blenders are super common on CL and Marketplace because people either upgrade, move in with someone who already has one, don’t want to move it cross country, or never use it. Definitely second hand deals to be had.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought a refurb'd Kitchen Aid a number of years back and its been solid. The carafe is glass and heavy, which can be clunky but thats ok. I don't use it a ton, mainly for soups, because:

I do have, though, a bullet blender and I use it just about every day. You can do glass sized shakes, and it comes with a larger (but not as big as a full blender) carafe for when I want to do bigger shakes or whatnot

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a drone with a good camera? It’s for my dad so ease of use is a high priority. Budget is pretty high but I really have no idea what to expect, price wise.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Harriet Carker posted:

Can anyone recommend a drone with a good camera? It’s for my dad so ease of use is a high priority. Budget is pretty high but I really have no idea what to expect, price wise.

Any of the latest DJI drones all have good cameras, but come with some pretty big geofencing and potentially privacy issues with it being a big Chinese company (I don't personally agree that it's any worse than any other company, but this is a point that's commonly brought up regarding them).

Autel drones have good cameras and some are US built. They're pricier than their DJI equivalent though.

Another option is the Skydio 2+. They have a good camera (though less good than the new DJIs, as they've been updated more recently). They're US designed and built, and have the best obstacle avoidance available. They're pretty heavily automated so it's the least hands-on flying, but with the avoidance and devices like the beacon also have excellent following and orbiting.

Oh, and anything 250g or heavier have to be registered with the FAA. The DJI Mini series and Autel Nano are both 249g.

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Jul 4, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mrs. Pointer has sent me goonward for recommendations on scents to cover up the smell of our dogs in the room they hang out in, during the day.

In the main living space, I have a pretty massive BlueAir air purifier that runs at turbo speed overnight and at medium speed during the day. I suggested getting something smaller for the library, where the doggles hang out in the daytime, but she's saying she wants to do something less expensive and visually obtrusive (the BlueAir is pretty large, admittedly), and go with some sort of scent.

The problem is that I am highly sensitive to strong smells; I've made her throw away numerous kinds of dry shampoo, hidden away vaporizers for essential oils, and covered up scented candles. So my hopes of this working out are not high, but, hey -- here I am.

Anyone with pets discovered anything for odor control that doesn't involve making the house smell like a boudoir?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You probably want an air filter with a carbon component to absorb the smells that way. You'll have to replace the carbon of course on whatever interval works for your space but that should do exactly what you need.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
How have been your experience with Thermacell?

I've been looking for a solution like it, but it seems like there's a few types of Thermacell alone?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LowOnCyan posted:

How have been your experience with Thermacell?

I've been looking for a solution like it, but it seems like there's a few types of Thermacell alone?

Personally, I feel like my thermacell works.

It’s radius isn’t huge though.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

null_pointer posted:

Mrs. Pointer has sent me goonward for recommendations on scents to cover up the smell of our dogs in the room they hang out in, during the day.

In the main living space, I have a pretty massive BlueAir air purifier that runs at turbo speed overnight and at medium speed during the day. I suggested getting something smaller for the library, where the doggles hang out in the daytime, but she's saying she wants to do something less expensive and visually obtrusive (the BlueAir is pretty large, admittedly), and go with some sort of scent.

The problem is that I am highly sensitive to strong smells; I've made her throw away numerous kinds of dry shampoo, hidden away vaporizers for essential oils, and covered up scented candles. So my hopes of this working out are not high, but, hey -- here I am.

Anyone with pets discovered anything for odor control that doesn't involve making the house smell like a boudoir?

What about an ozone generator?

https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-G...8168805&sr=8-12

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ozone kills smells really well but it is not great for breathing

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yes, but that’s just a more permanent solution to the problem if you turn your head and squint a bit, no? :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

You absolutely don't want anything making ozone while you're around (so, for example, air purifiers that intentionally make ozone are an insanely bad idea and should be illegal).

You can probably manage to use a big commercial ozone generator safely somehow with effort but it's the sort of thing where you would have to start it running on a timer and then get out immediately.

It might work after you were temporarily pet sitting for a week but I can't it being a solution to pet odor when you actually own pets and have them around all the time.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
So if the scent is in the air then I'm not sure, but if it's in the fabrics I would try something like PowAir Penetrator Spray. I use it on my hockey gear and it seems to work well. Another spray solution could be to use a 50/50 mix of 70% alcohol and Peroxide. Or some sort of Vinegar based spray (I can't stand the smell but I hear it goes away pretty fast).

Something else you could do is to have a machine washable carpet laid down, and then wash that once in awhile.

Also, a note about Ozone. It does work. It will harm your lungs if not aired properly as others have mentioned. But one more thing is that it seems to wear out elastics and degrade foams as well.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

null_pointer posted:

Smells often hang around in fabrics most strongly, so take a look at what the dogs are lying on in that room. You can replace any of the fabrics or dog beds with things that are more easily washed or which resist smell impregnation.

Also, if your dogs shed a ton you can consider getting them groomed semi-regularly. You can also clean them regularly yourself too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hang cut flowers/herbs from the rafter/ceiling to dry?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Smells often hang around in fabrics most strongly, so take a look at what the dogs are lying on in that room. You can replace any of the fabrics or dog beds with things that are more easily washed or which resist smell impregnation.

Excellent advice. This is what I'm going to be pursuing. Thank you!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

LowOnCyan posted:

Also, a note about Ozone. It does work. It will harm your lungs if not aired properly as others have mentioned. But one more thing is that it seems to wear out elastics and degrade foams as well.
Very true. Ozone is a strong oxidiser, and it will happily attack anything made out of rubber.
It is one of the main reasons why tires that have been on a car that's parked outside, start to crack after 10 years or so.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Well, normally I would have said "are you trying to kill me and my family?" with the ozone machine suggestions, but last night my wife decided to set a bag of microwave popcorn on fire, and the smell is still lingering. Maybe an ozone generator is in my future after all.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good small medkit / first aid kit to leave in a car?

I know i can just buy the standard semi rigid zippered compartment full of bandaids but figured id ask in case theres actually a quality answer

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Are you looking for a bandaid kit or a trauma kit?

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗
Welly makes some cute kits, though they're just pretty basic first aid stuff. And also their face saver clear spot bandages are amazing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
North American Rescue was having a sale on their D-BCRK Individual Bleeding Control Kits with the nylon pouch so I have one of those in my car. I need to supplement it with a general purpose first aid kit with bandages, painkillers, and an emergency blanket.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ArcMage posted:

Are you looking for a bandaid kit or a trauma kit?

Just basic I wouldnt know what to do with a trauma kit.

rekko posted:

Welly makes some cute kits, though they're just pretty basic first aid stuff. And also their face saver clear spot bandages are amazing.

never heard of this brand before ill check them out

Android Apocalypse posted:

North American Rescue was having a sale on their D-BCRK Individual Bleeding Control Kits with the nylon pouch so I have one of those in my car. I need to supplement it with a general purpose first aid kit with bandages, painkillers, and an emergency blanket.

This looks like the sort of thing I wouldn't know how to use. But also could be nice to have it in the car ill check it out.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ah yeah the kit I linked is a trauma kit for extreme situations (like a car crash or similar).