Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
https://www.wonkette.com/alex-jones-thinks-he-s-going-to-beat-the-legal-system-he-is-wrong

Always a favorite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So when Reynal flipped the bird at Mark, he knew he still hadn't responded to that e-mail and the clock was just ticking away.

Jesus. It's like that Hitchcock quote about the bomb underneath the table once you realize it.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

i need some sort of text alert for when the jury reaches a decision

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

There better not be any more insane poo poo happen tomorrow because I am completely spent from today's nuclear chili blast from Marky Mark.
I don't have any more emotion-cum. I'm out. Let's hope for hundreds of millions and then another round of punitive later on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

So when Reynal flipped the bird at Mark, he knew he still hadn't responded to that e-mail and the clock was just ticking away.

very very funny that he promised to email Mark his phone number so they could continue the furious conversation

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I don't care about the money, because a shithead with a shithead fanbase can essentially print unlimited money.

I want the data from that phone to find the right prosecutor's office

January 6th collusion. Bribing politicians. Bankruptcy fraud. There's got to be some amazing stuff on there. Stuff for which he might actually see inside of a prison cell.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Not a lawyer, but I did work in litigation support/ediscovery, and when I worked at a law firm we had an IP case where somebody was accused of stealing proprietary information from his old company. We got his Outlook profile from the plaintiff, loaded it up, and... literally the first thing that comes up is an email sent to his personal address with all the pertinent documents/data attached to it. I pretty much turned to the attorneys and paralegals and said "Welp, there ya go." I think the case was literally settled the next day.

I've done a lot of this too, and just as a normal IT wonk, not working in litigation. It is amazing how many people go to work for a place and use their work email as a personal email.

This is somewhat unrelated to this thread, but there have been times where I had to pull a past employee's email archive to search for certain terms that were pertinent to upcoming litigation, or just to some particular project, and those search terms pulled up a ton of emails I'd have to look at to determine if they were about the issue at hand.

And it's shocking how many times I'd see people had used their work email to send and receive love letters, and the like. Messages from people about drugs. Fights with significant others, haggles with their landlords, insurance companies, graphic talk about sex, whatever.

I would think in this day and age most people would understand that every single thing you say using your employer's email/IM system is literally the company's property, and there isn't a court in all the land that will hear a case challenging that, nor a lawyer who would take the case. In our setup, if you deleted an email and then removed it from the deleted folder, we'd lose the ability to restore it from backups after a certain amount of time, but the employees didn't know that.

People, keep your personal bidness completely isolated from your job bidness.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Untold gross horrors too
Just weird stuff with dracula shaming and too much ice cream

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This thing about Alex being in our collective consciousness is correct - this trial is not just an "America lol" thing - it would probably be good for the whole world if this somehow takes InfoWars down.

They said "150 million in damages, 1 dollar for every american who had to listen to your dumb rear end, Alex", but since 2012 (the Sandy Hook shooting), AJ gained a huge global audience and inspired a whole generation of worldwide conspiracy grifters trying to copy his business model to earn a cent.

Between that and Facebook, the damage might be irreversible, or take a generation to undo, while society learns how to deal with instant communications

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

very very funny that he promised to email Mark his phone number so they could continue the furious conversation

13 days ago, Mark just started e-mailing Reynal constantly. Hundreds a day. It was hard to see the privilege inquiry when it was nestled in a sea of RE: RE: FW: RE: and pictures of a gorilla using a kiddie pool.

madmatt112 posted:

There better not be any more insane poo poo happen tomorrow because I am completely spent from today's nuclear chili blast from Marky Mark.
I don't have any more emotion-cum. I'm out. Let's hope for hundreds of millions and then another round of punitive later on.

I'm just assuming after the sentence is read out Alex is gonna up and pull a Norris from The Thing. It's honestly the most logical next step right now.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In 2020 until around May of this year I've had really bad mental health. I was in a dark place and by my own estimations very mentally ill.

But then I watch Alex Jones explicitly untreated narcissistic personality disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, and likely drug and alcohol addictions and it's like "You know, in hindsight it wasn't -that- bad..."

Ok sure, the trial might be over and all but raging out every night and making up explicit lies and speculations about the judge and lawyers is some mentally handicapped poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol that a guy with 'mandingo' in his name was probed for 'using insensitive language'

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You have to divide the pot of stuff on that phone into two buckets. There's a bucket of communications between Alex Jones and his lawyer's. Those texts, audios, etc. are privileged material. An email from Jones to his lawyer saying "I deliberately did this, please help me beat it" would likely be inadmissible. The privilege belongs to the person, not the attorney, so his lawyer can't waive it through incompetence. It's embarrassing, and may reveal things like trial strategy, but they probably can't be used against him.

The second bucket which is pretty much everything else including communications with employees, friends, politicians (fingers crossed) is not subject to the privilege and should have been turned over months ago. Those are fair game and are going to be glorious.

Apparently there was also a third party's medical records on the phone for some reason. They deleted those.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Apparently there was also a third party's medical records on the phone for some reason. They deleted those.

The reason is that Alex Jones pays people to steal the medical info of his targets so he can go through them looking for mud to sling.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The reason is that Alex Jones pays people to steal the medical info of his targets so he can go through them looking for mud to sling.

This Alex Jones guy.

Yeesh.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

why doesnt Jones try to go ssj god by eating a whole jar of brainforce, be an alpha not a beta soyboy pills so he gets psychic powers and he can vaporize the judge with his mind?

https://i.imgur.com/aABHANO.mp4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's no sound on that

0/10. Also thats ssj 1, not ssj god.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Good Gravy! I'm not sure If I can stand another day!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
From r/knowledgefight

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Upsidads posted:

Untold gross horrors too
Just weird stuff with dracula shaming and too much ice cream

:raise:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

emotion-cum

in there’s ever an alex jones memorial namechange thread,

mods

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

teen witch posted:

From r/knowledgefight

Zoom out and it's the Judge with an R9X ninja missile.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So are there still two more trials just like this one on the way?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What was that podcast that had one of the lawyers on?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's from Knowledge Fight, which has a mini-series called "Formulaic Objections" covering the disposition. I believe this should be the episode with one of the lawyers.

This one has the other lawyer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fart Dumbass posted:

lol that a guy with 'mandingo' in his name was probed for 'using insensitive language'

Heh, good point. This was an obscure reference. Back in the beginning of the 1000 years of liberal darkness of ~2007-2008 there was a news article that misnamed Nelson Mandela as Nelson Mandingo, and I believe had a picture of Dave Chappelle (How the gently caress do you confuse the two?). Who at the time did a terrible skit as "Nelson Mandela", boot camp instructor and I used that as my avatar for a while.

quote:

So are there still two more trials just like this one on the way?

Oh yes. There is one in CT from Sandy Hook families and another from someone else he basically explicitly defamed. I want to say a security guard or paramedic? Someone help me out here.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Knowledge Fight is just a great podcast in general.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You have to listen to something like that in small doses I think, binging either Knowledge Fight or Behind the Bastards immediately makes me unfit for human company.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Like gently caress

I would be sweating having anyone look through my phone, even just if they knew how much I googled different types of tea

But I can't imagine how Alex Jones must feel, knowing his phone is not basically in the hands of anyone with an axe to grind

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Jestery posted:

even just if they knew how much I googled different types of tea

:mods:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

I assume then that the jury hadn't reached a decision and will continue today? I decided to go to sleep about apparently 1/3 through mullet lawyer's closing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I decided to look at r/law. Choice quotes

quote:

Wouldn't surprise me if a rogue paralegal is the sole reason this got passed to the plaintiff's counsel.

quote:

It's got to be a real comfort to know that on the single worst day of your career, you could show up without pants and ill-prepared for the simple questions you're being asked and in hindsight, you'd still have glided over the bar set today with a seemingly effortless grace.

Frankly, I'm envious.

quote:

I’m almost in my second year of practice in CT. i can confirm this has cured my imposter syndrome until 2023 at the earliest.

quote:

Two words: Sidney Powell.

The dumber of my two dogs is a better lawyer AND MY DOGS HAVEN’T YET BEEN ADMITTED TO THE BAR.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They only had like 30 minutes to deliberate yesterday. They probably barely choose which of them would be the jury rep or whatever the title is. Will pick back up today at 9 Austin time. Not clear on if they are gong to live stream people milling about the court while we wait.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
This was quite a thread to catch up on today. I wonder if we’ve hit the high-water mark of insane events yet or if this trial still has more in the tank.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

This was quite a thread to catch up on today. I wonder if we’ve hit the high-water mark of insane events yet or if this trial still has more in the tank.

before today i would have said "maybe today". after today i feel like all things are possible

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

I found a recording of the recess in question. It's the one once Alex is finished on the stand. Plaintiff's attorneys are congregating and discussing the texts. You can't make out most of the words but at one point one of them, not Bankston, says "there's going to be months of fallout from this." Bankston is showing them things on his phone, they are laughing really hard about it and Bankston is audible at one point saying, "Yeah, it's pretty good," before he laughs loudly.

So if someone was watching a different stream than the official one, it's possible that they might have caught more words. It's possible they referenced specifics in the conversation because there are a lot of inaudible words before "months of fallout" and "yeah, it's pretty good."

No clear video I could find though.
there was a segment of hot mic where reynal's asking about what the contents of the phone covered, then a later section as you describe. i had an ear on those hot mics from start to finish and didn't hear a blip about a senator, but with the mumbling and distortion if that's what the person wanted to hear it'd be p easy for them to convince themselves

i probably should have clarified this earlier but the thread was having fun with it and wasn't taking it seriously before i went to bed
the judge would ignore this if there wasn't part 2 and him in theory taking the stand again over net worth, it's clear he is incapable of listening to his counsel though

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

A few years ago in the UK there was a case where the defendants appeared to show genuine remorse ("Boo hoo we realise we did a terrible thing, we're so very sorry") so the judge gave them relatively lenient sentences.
They immediately went on social media saying "lol haha we totally fooled the idiot judge and got off easily". The judge found out about this, hauled them back in and gave the maximum sentence.

But I guess in a civil case like this there's not much the judge can do about Jones bitching about her, if it's all really up to the jury now. Or is there some sort of civil-contempt-of-court or other sanctions?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

I decided to look at r/law. Choice quotes

You could be a crow and still a better lawyer than those chucklefucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

But I guess in a civil case like this there's not much the judge can do about Jones bitching about her, if it's all really up to the jury now. Or is there some sort of civil-contempt-of-court or other sanctions?

well, there is the perjury