Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spanish Manlove posted:

He wasn't allergic to money, he was allergic to effort. He just refused to do any amount of work, at all. Even avoiding the slight bit of effort behind checking to see if a programmer wasn't a complete idiot. Just a spoiled rich kid who never grew up

It's impossible to overstate the level to which he just didn't put a single scintilla of effort into this place yeah

Like every single time he was bitching about someone he was lying afaict

Frank Frank posted:

My two cents? He was a relatively intelligent guy who was born into generational wealth that had an idea at the dawn of a technical revolution that could have been A Big Deal(TM). I don’t think he was an “evil” person and I don’t think he meant to harm anyone but he got addicted to <x>, perhaps through no fault of his own. Addict behavior is sometimes out of character and although near the end you could totally still see flashes of the guy he was, he was just too far gone into booze and pills to come back without some sort of serious intervention.

I’ll be quiet now. I may be way off. Just my feeling after having dealings with the guy over a few years. I don’t think he was a bad person, just a very lazy person who felt like the world owed him something - the world delivered and he just kept up the “what have you done for me lately” shtick until he fell over the edge

E: to be super clear, domestic abuse is beyond the pale and I had already severed ties with the guy when that came to light - part of why I feel terrible now. One of the reasons I felt bad for Rich and wanted to help him was that I empathized to some degree. Ive had my own struggles with substances over the years but I have never, ever resorted to physical violence against folks I care about - even when I was at my lowest. Zero excuses for any of that poo poo.

Tl:Dr; rich was a man of contrasts

I don't think you're wrong, it's just that's what bad people look like. No-one really thinks they are a bad person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
the banality of lowtax

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Dude was an idiot, an addict and an abusive shithead but he could have just been a fun idiot doofus instead of those other things and that’s kinda sad. I dunno.

sebmojo posted:

I don't think you're wrong, it's just that's what bad people look like. No-one really thinks they are a bad person

You are very likely correct and that’s more than a little depressing. Welp, that’s enough internet for me today.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 6, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sebmojo posted:

i consider myself incredibly loving slow on picking this up, but i think it was around zdr even my dumbass was like "boy it sure seems like every person that lowtax does any business with is a treacherous liar, what a weird coincidence"

you know, you go around all day and meet nothing but assholes etc etc

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Dude was an idiot, an addict and an abusive shithead but he could have just been a fun idiot doofus instead of those other things and that’s kinda sad. I dunno.

You are very likely correct and that’s more than a little depressing. Welp, that’s enough internet for me today.

chill out man people are weird and contradictory and its a sad fact of humanity

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

grimly shedding a tear for the tarnished soul of the man who ran the pig balls website

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sebmojo posted:

It's impossible to overstate the level to which he just didn't put a single scintilla of effort into this place yeah

The tragedy of Lowtax is that it would have been easy for him to not be a bad person. In fact it probably would have been easier on him over all. But he made his choices and they ruined his life and hosed over the lives of others.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm going to start trying to get money out of people by telling them to give me money in the middle of my messages. Give me money. Let's see if it works.

DM me your bank details

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sweet geek swag posted:

The tragedy of Lowtax is that it would have been easy for him to not be a bad person. In fact it probably would have been easier on him over all. But he made his choices and they ruined his life and hosed over the lives of others.

well if he was a better person i imagine he wouldn't have gotten quite so many cookies or drugs, so from his perspective i imagine it was a fair trade

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CoolCab posted:

well if he was a better person i imagine he wouldn't have gotten quite so many cookies or drugs, so from his perspective i imagine it was a fair trade

Cookies and drugs vs the love of your family, truly can we judge this man?

Yes, yes we can.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I brought this up in the cursed image thread a couple days ago, but elise the great made chili out of her own placenta. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3844826&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post479715547

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
fuckin hippies.

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I brought this up in the cursed image thread a couple days ago, but elise the great made chili out of her own placenta. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3844826&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post479715547

:whitewater:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

every time people post like that i have to wonder how insanely sheltered they are. skin like printer paper

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

My favorite part about the whole thing is once Matt reveals that he is a crazy person, this is the very next post:

Black Baby Goku posted:

Awesome, thank you Matt. You can count me as a fan for sure

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CountryMatters posted:

This reminds me, was there ever any drama or a story around the total ban on pokemon games in the Let's Play subforum a few years back?

It was a combination of a ton of pretty lovely Pokmeon LPs, and one particular low point where someone was playing a Pokmeon Mystery Dungeon game. In the first pair of Mystery Dungeon games, you're canonically a human who was turned into a Pokemon somehow, and you take a personality quiz to determine what Pokemon you are. The LP apparently got into some weird roleplaying around the whole thing, which lead to the thread crashing and burning and the ban being instated for a long time.

ulvir posted:

sure, that guy was a dipshit, but the ban reason was extremely bitchmade.

There were a lot of pretty weak "we're banning you because we think you're trolling" bans back then tbh.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Spanish Manlove posted:

That would have involved more than zero effort

dude was supernaturally consistent at this one thing

Frank Frank posted:

The way he presented it to me was “my crazy abusive wife has kidnapped my child and is fleeing to Canada. How do I stop her?”

Dude was in tears. I helped him and I feel awful about it knowing what I know now.

Also this

I spent a bunch of time and energy yelling about how lowtax's stories were just piles of red flags on top of red flags and emphatically were just one side of the story, which yknow, they were, but also I think people just naturally do not perceive those red flags unless they've had some reason to see sort of the macro-process of how domestic dispute stuff always plays out. There's always two sides to a story and if you specifically aren't hearing one side, it's by design. Even for people who aren't being deliberately lovely and do deserve the benefit of the doubt, they'll still be telling a story that casts them in a more favorable light just because that's how people process intense things and create their own narratives out of experiences. Once you have an actual dirtbag involved, all bets are really off with just how much they'll manipulate the version of events they tell to cast themselves as the beleaguered good person and the other partner as the scheming, manipulative monster.

That said, I don't think there's really a way to not be naive to that stuff without having seen it before hand. It sucks for everyone involved that people were pretty naive to it at first, but to this place's credit, a pretty complete 180 happened and a ton of people learned a valuable lesson about never taking one side of a domestic dispute as the entirety of a situation.

idk, that whole situation was pretty fuckin sad, but I think it got rid of a bunch of unhealthy culty poo poo that had been lingering on SA since the early days

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 7, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was a combination of a ton of pretty lovely Pokmeon LPs, and one particular low point where someone was playing a Pokmeon Mystery Dungeon game. In the first pair of Mystery Dungeon games, you're canonically a human who was turned into a Pokemon somehow, and you take a personality quiz to determine what Pokemon you are. The LP apparently got into some weird roleplaying around the whole thing, which lead to the thread crashing and burning and the ban being instated for a long time.

There were a lot of pretty weak "we're banning you because we think you're trolling" bans back then tbh.

We still get a lot of whiny 'this guy is trolling' reports, which are righteously misced unless it's really egregious/annoying

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

He wasn't allergic to money, he was allergic to effort. He just refused to do any amount of work, at all. Even avoiding the slight bit of effort behind checking to see if a programmer wasn't a complete idiot. Just a spoiled rich kid who never grew up

That reminds me of a short butst of drama.

During either the lead up to, or aftermath of, the creation of TGRS, Negromancer decided that Lowtax had to be skimming CC numbers from the forums, and got banned and fired from his job for doing cyber crimes to try and prove it. I don't think Koalas March weighed in on it, but I'm pretty sure TB also bought into it.

It was super obvious to anyone paying attention that Negromancer was full of poo poo because collecting that sort of data from transactions and covertly turning it into real money without immediately getting caught would have required far more effort and foresight than Lowtax ever put into anything.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

During either the lead up to, or aftermath of, the creation of TGRS, Negromancer decided that Lowtax had to be skimming CC numbers from the forums, and got banned and fired from his job for doing cyber crimes to try and prove it. I don't think Koalas March weighed in on it, but I'm pretty sure TB also bought into it.

It was super obvious to anyone paying attention that Negromancer was full of poo poo because collecting that sort of data from transactions and covertly turning it into real money without immediately getting caught would have required far more effort and foresight than Lowtax ever put into anything.

There was also the time that people were clamoring for him to be a mod, and ZDR came into the thread and asked "hmm, well, before we do that, could you please explain why you attempted an SQL attack on us at such and such date?". Negromancer's response was he left his automatic-sql-attacker on.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I spent a bunch of time and energy yelling about how lowtax's stories were just piles of red flags on top of red flags and emphatically were just one side of the story, which yknow, they were, but also I think people just naturally do not perceive those red flags unless they've had some reason to see sort of the macro-process of how domestic dispute stuff always plays out.

Yeah, I didn't say it at the time because it would have been yelling into the wind and I also didn't want to get banned, but I used to work in domestic-violence advocacy, and Lowtax's stories were absolute textbook "abuser painting self as victim" stuff. The repeated emphasis on how he never hit or beat her (because so many people still consider physical abuse as the only form of spousal abuse), the vague assertions that she was "crazy," referring to her "stealing" from the joint account when there's no evidence she had any other finances (and tons of evidence that he was keeping her financially dependent on him), treating their child as his sole property and suddenly becoming passionate about fatherhood when the kid's being "stolen"... I don't blame people for not recognizing it, but it could have been a Lundy Bancroft case study.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

There was also the time that people were clamoring for him to be a mod, and ZDR came into the thread and asked "hmm, well, before we do that, could you please explain why you attempted an SQL attack on us at such and such date?". Negromancer's response was he left his automatic-sql-attacker on.

Don't suppose either of you happen to have links to those threads? Sounds entertaining.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

Don't suppose either of you happen to have links to those threads? Sounds entertaining.

Here's the other guy's. This wasn't the only time negromancer did this, but it's at least one example. My example is somewhere in the archives in the 2016-ish US politics DND thread and I'm not up to digging through that monolith.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Arrhythmia posted:

Here's the other guy's. This wasn't the only time negromancer did this, but it's at least one example. My example is somewhere in the archives in the 2016-ish US politics DND thread and I'm not up to digging through that monolith.

Appropriate it that it happened in the bad with money thread.

Edit: Also that thread is wonky when changing between pages. Presumably from ZDR deleting all their posts (for whatever reason).

Edit2: Somehow FAU got called racist for banning negromancer.

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 7, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuns with Guns posted:

the "no pokemon" rule was etablished before i was an LP mod but this was the reason afaik. the rule has since been recinded.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

EasilyConfused posted:

Edit: Also that thread is wonky when changing between pages. Presumably from ZDR deleting all their posts (for whatever reason).

This was a hilarious saga of it's own. ZDR melted down over some disagreement with Lowtax and tired to delete all their own posts from the database. This broke a ton of poo poo, and Lowtax poo poo all over ZDR, until out of nowhere now it was a mistake and now ZDR was the good guy again. Then later ZDR asked for a bunch of money from posters and disappeared.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Peachfart posted:

This was a hilarious saga of it's own. ZDR melted down over some disagreement with Lowtax and tired to delete all their own posts from the database. This broke a ton of poo poo, and Lowtax poo poo all over ZDR, until out of nowhere now it was a mistake and now ZDR was the good guy again. Then later ZDR asked for a bunch of money from posters and disappeared.

they also removed tori's access to all forums except E/N and Tori created about one trillion alts to try to get around it lmao

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sally posted:

the "no pokemon" rule was etablished before i was an LP mod but this was the reason afaik. the rule has since been recinded.

I recall slowbeef also mentioning that a bunch of pokemon LPs were effectively the same thing in regards to commentary. "Huh, where am I? Who is this professor? I'm gonna give a snarky response. My name is DICKS"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Peachfart posted:

i remember everyone loudly insisting that, no, ZDR hadn't melted down and almost crippled the forums, it was just a freak technical difficulty, sea lion. and then ZDR came back and made up some story about needing money and how this work on the forums would get done, i swear... then he just vanished and, no, you couldn't comment don't how dumb that was either, chud.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Zdr ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I still don't fully understand the ZDR situation, like he clearly hosed with the site while deleting his own posts, but anything involving Lowtax is still a mystery. I mean by default I would believe ZDR over Lowtax 100% of the time, because.. well, you know

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I wish he'd come back even just to make a single post describing all the poo poo that happened from his viewpoint, because it would be an interesting read.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah wasn't part of the thing about needing money being bc lowtax never sent him some or something???

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think spiting Lowtax owns

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Roth posted:

I think spiting Lowtax owns

This but all mods/admins

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i remember telling zdr that Lowtax sounded like a wife beater with the way he constantly lies and everything is someone else's fault and he's trying so hard but nobody ever gives him a chance! anyway like a year later it came out that he was in fact a wife beater. guess my stupid rear end can be right once and a while.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Larry Parrish posted:

i remember telling zdr that Lowtax sounded like a wife beater with the way he constantly lies and everything is someone else's fault and he's trying so hard but nobody ever gives him a chance! anyway like a year later it came out that he was in fact a wife beater. guess my stupid rear end can be right once and a while.

what, lowtax a wife beater? larry, parrish the thought

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
not to be too cynical. but would it be feasibly possible for an admin to use a user's account as their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

I recall slowbeef also mentioning that a bunch of pokemon LPs were effectively the same thing in regards to commentary. "Huh, where am I? Who is this professor? I'm gonna give a snarky response. My name is DICKS"

yah that was part of it. lots of people wanting to be LP superstars dumping garbage threads.