Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

9 years ago the new Doctor was announced. Yes, David Tennant will be.... wait, no, it must have been Matt Smith..... it was Peter Capaldi!?!?! I could swear it has only been six seasons since the 50th Anniversary spectacular!

Peter Capaldi has been known as The Doctor for about 1/5 of the years that Doctor Who has been airing new episodes. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Today's listen was The Dalek Invasion of Winter, and I thought the format was interesting: it was longer than the companion chronicles, but still not fully dramatized - there was a fair bit of narration (apparently these releases are meant to feel like an audio reconstruction of a missing episode), but its a cracking Dalek story.

It's set on a planet suffering a 500 year winter, and Dalek occupation, and really captures the feeling of the era well. At times I could almost picture the First Doctor in an almost Tsar-era Russia like setting, standing in black and white and eyeing up the Daleks in the corner of the ballroom. Speaking of, the Daleks are consistent with their sixties incarnations, with Briggs going for a more Roy Skelton sound for the voices at times. There's a sense of cold that's maybe not as convincing as say, Spare Parts, but you can imagine the sets if this had been made in the 1960s. Peter Purves plays the Doctor and does a good job at capturing the spirit and tone of Hartnell's performance: you can tell he picked up a lot from working with him all those years ago.

Honestly Steven and Vicki aren't characters I'm massively familiar with, and maybe dropping the narration in exchange for more story telling via sound design and dialogue would have worked, but this is a very solid story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorWhat posted:

I always assumed that Davros's original body had melted eyes but at some point the Daleks forgot to duplicate that when bringing him back.

I wouldn't put it past Davros that he just ripped the eyeballs out of some poor passing space pilot and jammed them into his empty eye sockets just to gently caress with the Doctor.

Remember, this is the man who was so paranoid about being assassinated that he somehow cloned his own head, stuck it in a jar, and had people believing it was the real him while he hid behind a curtain. (i.e. Revelation of the Daleks)

edit: Finished the boxset UNIT: CYBER-REALITY, and holy crap, episode 4, "Master of Worlds". In the previous boxset, we were introduced to "The Auctioneers", a group who deal in black market alien tech. They're one of the villains in CYBER-REALITY, along with the Cybermen, and during a heated confrontation between them and UNIT (and UNIT's temporary ally The War Master), The War Master flat out, and nonchalantly, murders all The Auctioneers, because, basically, ... gently caress 'em. Derek Jacobi is the best.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 6, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1555584465396703233

Rory… goes to nursing school! Ryan.. falls off his bike! Yaz.. decides to go fash! Jo Grant… smokes a lot of weed!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Rory… goes to nursing school! Ryan.. falls off his bike! Yaz.. decides to go fash! Jo Grant… smokes a lot of weed!

Davros: Ahh yes, those carefree days of youth. I myself was quite the rapscallion. After escaping the field of landmine-hands, I recall stripping out the chemical residue of weapons in order to generate a home-defense system to protect myself from looters. This of course caught the eye of the Dal Military, upon which time I was apprenticed to a code-breaking division where we worked 20-hour shifts decrypting Thal military communications. There was a real sense of camaraderie I had with the other boys who didn't go mad or commit suicide. Salad days.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Listening to the latest river song big finish and there's a line that has me more cringing than anything I've ever heard.
River Song: Beatrix Potter??, trust me she's such a minx and i know! maybe it was the delivery but that one was hard to stomach. Like Alex Kingston is thinking how did I end up here? And that cringe comes through in the delivery.

Edit: I enjoy the diary of river song and don't mind when they go a bit over the top but this was next level and I just couldn't let it go.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 6, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Rory: (pining for Amy over many years, in a state of quiet desperation)

Jo Grant: (bottom of all her classes in almost every subject, but uses her uncle's connections to land a posh government job working for UNIT regardless)

Fixed a couple of those for ya :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF did Davros as a young'in in "I, Davros". He locked his tutor in a radiation chamber and turned it on, fascinated by what the results would be.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cybus Industries news

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mmm yes, indiscriminate murder of billionaires. Good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is incredible and hilarious

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This is incredible and hilarious

They really nailed the TedTalk feel and echo there.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Elon Magpie :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

His son has come a long way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, wasn't expecting the Cybermen to be the good guys and making the world a legitimately better place, interesting stuff!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/1556582730883899394

:sigh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

uhhh, which life of Clara's counts for this collection?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh. It's an ARG after all. https://cybusindustries.org/parakeet/

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

edit: Finished the boxset UNIT: CYBER-REALITY, and holy crap, episode 4, "Master of Worlds". In the previous boxset, we were introduced to "The Auctioneers", a group who deal in black market alien tech. They're one of the villains in CYBER-REALITY, along with the Cybermen, and during a heated confrontation between them and UNIT (and UNIT's temporary ally The War Master), The War Master flat out, and nonchalantly, murders all The Auctioneers, because, basically, ... gently caress 'em. Derek Jacobi is the best.

I love this particular episode for exactly that - and the begrudging respect that develops between the UNIT team and The Master yet sudden horror at realizing "Oh yea this guy is loving nuts".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

More Who figures; Planet of the Daleks, Death to the Daleks, 8th and 10th Doctors

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Doctors sets aren’t great, although more 8 is good. When it was leaked way back that an 8th Doctor 3 pack was coming, there was tons of speculation about who the other two figures would be; Lucie Miller, Charlie?? - this is way more disappointing. Daleks are good though.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

That first 10th Doctor figure doesn't make a ton of sense though - isn't that the "Raggedy Doctor" attire that Smith was running around in for all of his first episode? If so, that's not how 10 was dressed when he regenerated, so it doesn't work as one of those "pre/post regen" figures they'll sometimes pump out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

That first 10th Doctor figure doesn't make a ton of sense though - isn't that the "Raggedy Doctor" attire that Smith was running around in for all of his first episode? If so, that's not how 10 was dressed when he regenerated, so it doesn't work as one of those "pre/post regen" figures they'll sometimes pump out.

Apparently the 10th pack are all comics inspired, which is why he’s got a solid blue suit as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New figures??! :confused:

Edit: try and order one

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

New figures??! :confused:

Edit: try and order one

reversed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8B_gjslaQ8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve just come across Utopia on Gamefound, which reads like Doctor Who (and specifically Faction Paradox) with the serial numbers filed off.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone know why Jaime Mathieson hasn’t anything in five years? Not even just Doctor Who he hasn’t written anything at all.

Recently rewatched Flatline which I still adore and it’s a shame he’s not writing more.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RTD's production company might be the key on getting back to a somewhat regular schedule. Filming in November for a Fall release next year?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1558095424245956609?t=iXvxnwhD-aLFy9IWrLL3jg&s=19

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This means we'll probably be seeing his costume this fall! Hurray!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yannick_B posted:

This means we'll probably be seeing his costume this fall! Hurray!

That is the costume

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Anyone know why Jaime Mathieson hasn’t anything in five years? Not even just Doctor Who he hasn’t written anything at all.

Recently rewatched Flatline which I still adore and it’s a shame he’s not writing more.

No idea but I desperately want to see another Who episode written by him, his stories are so loving good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

!!!

It’s from a fan event today

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Jerusalem posted:

No idea but I desperately want to see another Who episode written by him, his stories are so loving good.

Is the Dirk Gently series any good? I loved the novels back in the day but leery of adaptations. Seeing that he's written for it helps though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DW_Infostamp/status/1557708648163557377

Other titles include:

The Impossible Astronaut: Invitation from the Doctor
Day of the Moon: The Silent Invader
The Doctor's Wife: The House Trap
Night Terrors: SOS From The Little One
The God Complex: The Closed Hotel
Hide: The Witch of the Well
Time Heist: Bank Robbery
Heaven Sent: Captured By Shadows
Hell Bent: At The End Of Time and Space
The Pilot: Promise
Knock Knock: Share House
Resolution: Endless Nightmare and New Journey

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SOS From The Little One is an adorable name :3:

The_Doctor posted:

It’s from a fan event today

That's what UNIT would have you believe at least :tinfoil:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
How To Die In Space is a pitch-perfect title for a Doctor Who episode. I'd say it's perfect for Oxygen, but honestly, it's perfect for most episodes of the show.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That is the costume

It ain't until I see full foot-wear!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That is the costume

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That is the costume

The Loungewear of Rassilon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

It ain't until I see full foot-wear!

The saddest thing about the regeneration will be losing Jodie's incredible boots :sigh: