Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

OLED burn-in hasn’t been a thing in years

I don't know how long "years" is, but my s8+ had massive, obvious burn-in by sometime in 2019.

Edit: I don't even know whether it would be considered burn-in or burn-out but it caused patterns all over my screen that were 100% obvious whenever lighter colors were displayed.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

Some dudes in this thread were saying that there won’t be a second Deck, and Valve was only trying to inspire third-party manufacturers to build for the form factor
It's too early to know how Valve is going to follow-up on the Deck, but it isn't equivalent to the Steam Machine situation.

Right now, the Deck being a single hardware target (like consoles) is a big advantage despite the rest of its "shortcomings" (which is mostly a TDP cap and reasonable battery life)--it gives a performance profile that developers can tune to (or at least, Redditors can share), and provides an opportunity for crowd-sourced shader caching. Allowing for arbitrary low-power hardware configurations gets rid of the single-target advantage. PCs get away with having a wide-array of performance profiles by generally being powerful and configurable enough to cover a wide gamut, but lower power devices don't necessarily have that flexibility.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Vic posted:

I don't get why OLED is a big deal to people. Draw more power, produce more heat, and have burn-in to have brighter brights and darker darks. I turn these things down to reduce eyestrain on a regular LCD.

Because if you care about image quality it looks a hell of a lot better. Hades on the Switch OLED is like looking at high quality print, it’s beautiful with high contrast and inky blacks. On the Deck it’s an average looking 2D game. Response times are normally much faster on OLED. Screen brightness is a moot point because the Deck’s screen isn’t very bright anyways, not any better than the Switch OLED’s outside in sunlight (not that I ever play that way anyways). And burn-in has been a solved problem for years now unless you leave your handheld running with the screen on for weeks at a time with a static display

https://youtu.be/crFifvVwSaQ

A decent OLED screen is just objectively better than what the Deck has.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fwiw, those 2020 LG C1 tvs that are pretty popular had burn in issues after a few months of pc desktop use according to some big tech YouTubers.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Fwiw, those 2020 LG C1 tvs that are pretty popular had burn in issues after a few months of pc desktop use according to some big tech YouTubers.

Yes, if you run static images like a desktop taskbar for hundreds of hours you can get burn in on an OLED. It’s not gonna be a problem on a portable game console. It’s already not a problem on the Switch OLED and I’m sure school kids are way less careful than the average Deck buying techie.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For what it’s also worth, I don’t see any burn in on my Vita (which might be more of a testament to how little I’ve used it overall).

It has those ugly splotches when displaying dark images, though. I think that’s no longer an issue with modern OLEDs.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Any good strategies on how I could get mumble or any program to 'persist' throughout the SteamOS so that it can be used for voicechat?
(i.e. It can be used without being the maximized window)

I'd like to bind it to the back paddles permanently for every game and app.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Some dudes in this thread were saying that there won’t be a second Deck, and Valve was only trying to inspire third-party manufacturers to build for the form factor

Who knows what Valve has planned, but they've already extended an offer to several third-party manufacturers to use Steam OS on their devices and sell them through the Steam Store. If enough of them agree, I could see Valve stopping their own production. So far I think only one has confirmed that they were interested in Valve's proposal.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You should absolutely worry about OLED burn in if you only ever play 1 or 2 games for months straight. If you're a literal professional gamer and grind a certain FPS all day, if you only ever play one MMO, or if you speedrun it should be a concern. For normal gamers it's no big deal.

Yes technically it's burn out but whatever it's the same effect as burn in on older panels and CRT. It's fair to use the same term imo.

Animal posted:

Yes, if you run static images like a desktop taskbar for hundreds of hours you can get burn in on an OLED. It’s not gonna be a problem on a portable game console. It’s already not a problem on the Switch OLED and I’m sure school kids are way less careful than the average Deck buying techie.
This is really easy to avoid if you know about it (hide taskbar, inactive monitor turns off, no wallpapers etc) and really easy to get hosed over by if you don't (OLED for a workstation, don't hide taskbar, default wallpaper, normal window sizes). Very recent OLED displays will do this thing where it subtly jiggles the image by like 1 pixel rarely so minimizing this effect is also increasingly built into the display.

Nearly all things just wear out and need to be replaced over time. Life isn't perfect but you gotta learn to live with it and enjoy what you have.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

GolfHole posted:

Any good strategies on how I could get mumble or any program to 'persist' throughout the SteamOS so that it can be used for voicechat?
(i.e. It can be used without being the maximized window)

I'd like to bind it to the back paddles permanently for every game and app.
Discord works like this out of the box. Any nonsteam program really allows you to run it in background in game mode. It multitasks no problem.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Vic posted:

Discord works like this out of the box. Any nonsteam program really allows you to run it in background in game mode. It multitasks no problem.

Hmm interesting.
Does it keep PTT key bindings/passthrough for it?

In Desktop mode this is generally not a problem, but I can't quite get it to work in game mode.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GolfHole posted:

Hmm interesting.
Does it keep PTT key bindings/passthrough for it?

In Desktop mode this is generally not a problem, but I can't quite get it to work in game mode.

I'm not sure, I only used voice activated in game mode. The mics are amazing btw. And the game audio filtering works great.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Animal posted:

Because if you care about image quality it looks a hell of a lot better. Hades on the Switch OLED is like looking at high quality print, it’s beautiful with high contrast and inky blacks. On the Deck it’s an average looking 2D game. Response times are normally much faster on OLED. Screen brightness is a moot point because the Deck’s screen isn’t very bright anyways, not any better than the Switch OLED’s outside in sunlight (not that I ever play that way anyways). And burn-in has been a solved problem for years now unless you leave your handheld running with the screen on for weeks at a time with a static display

https://youtu.be/crFifvVwSaQ

A decent OLED screen is just objectively better than what the Deck has.

It takes about a year of daily use. OLED looks great and all but I don't care if Hades looks like a 2d game. My priorities are different from yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the deck's screen is good

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Also controllers should have scroll wheels (I'm blanking on it atm, but I think there's been one or two before? maybe it was just a patent filing.).

It's not a true scroll wheel, but I've been setting the left trackpad as a scroll wheel in some games. Left trackpad behavior -> Scroll Wheel. Then click the gear button to the right of the dropdown, and set swipe direction to vertical. Then bind the clockwise command as scroll wheel down and counterclockwise as scroll wheel up. It say clockwise and counterclockwise but if it's set to vertical then it ends up as swipe up/down (or is it down/up? they really need to make it change that text). Then you can adjust sensitivity to your tastes. You could also make it scroll horizontal or circular but those make less sense to me if I'm just binding a scroll action.

With respect to trackpad controls the trackball mode doesn't do a whole lot for me. I've mostly been using it as a cursor mover though, I just don't like the momentum that it gets when used with a cursor. I prefer just using the joystick and gyro when aiming but it's really just a preference thing.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Nearly all things just wear out and need to be replaced over time. Life isn't perfect but you gotta learn to live with it and enjoy what you have.

New thread title?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You know, it would be nice if they came out with an OLED Deck model that uses the same (eDP?) screen connector. Then you could just replace your own screen.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You know, it would be nice if they came out with an OLED Deck model that uses the same (eDP?) screen connector. Then you could just replace your own screen.

Would be cool if a third party sells an easy OLED replacements like GuliKit does with the HAL sensor sticks. But I don’t know if that would work well with stuff like selective refresh rate, adaptive brightness, etc. It’s Linux, so maybe it can just be made to work?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Animal posted:

Would be cool if a third party sells an easy OLED replacements like GuliKit does with the HAL sensor sticks. But I don’t know if that would work well with stuff like selective refresh rate, adaptive brightness, etc. It’s Linux, so maybe it can just be made to work?

As long as it can actually set those display modes I don't see why it wouldn't Just Work. The software's not going to see any differences.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

An update because everyone cares: I'm out of RMA hell and have what appears to be a fully functional Deck that doesn't make weird noises. :confuoot:

I haven't done anything crazy with it yet, but it's definitely more comfortable to hold than a Switch. I'm interested to see how the experience holds up when it's plugged into a TV.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

As long as it can actually set those display modes I don't see why it wouldn't Just Work. The software's not going to see any differences.

The panel would have to support those arbitrary refresh rate settings. I’m not sure how much of that would be a problem with small OLED screens, but I hope it’s a non issue since most high end smartphones these days use OLED panels with variable refresh rates.

Vic posted:

It takes about a year of daily use. OLED looks great and all but I don't care if Hades looks like a 2d game. My priorities are different from yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

I guess we do, I value image quality in my games and movies as a top priority, and am willing to pay a premium for hardware that will more closely approximate the developer/filmmaker’s vision.

Animal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 10, 2022

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Animal posted:

The panel would have to support those arbitrary refresh rate settings. I’m not sure how much of that would be a problem with small OLED screens, but I hope it’s a non issue since most high end smartphones these days use OLED panels with variable refresh rates.

I guess we do, I value image quality in my games and movies as a top priority, and am willing to pay a premium for hardware that will more closely approximate the developer/filmmaker’s vision.

I would definitely be surprised if the average PC developer is targeting OLED screens, considering OLED displays make up a minuscule percentage of PC displays.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

I would definitely be surprised if the average PC developer is targeting OLED screens, considering OLED displays make up a minuscule percentage of PC displays.

No, but artists definitely spend a lot of time thinking and and working on color palette choices and contrast. As I said before, Hades on a Switch OLED really shows off the love the artists put in that world. Its gorgeous and seeing it side by side on a regular Switch or Deck screen is not even fair.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

HDR mode quality in PC games vary a lot game to game. Most developers are finally starting to get it right for console games and that work will transfer over to PC ports, but many PC games still have HDR implementations that are underwhelming or not customizable to your display. More HDR displays are finally starting to come out for PCs though. And the first step to good implementation is good support on the display side of things.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Animal posted:

No, but artists definitely spend a lot of time thinking and and working on color palette choices and contrast. As I said before, Hades on a Switch OLED really shows off the love the artists put in that world. Its gorgeous and seeing it side by side on a regular Switch or Deck screen is not even fair.

Do you have any video or stills of this? Would love to see the comparison and am weighing up whether to upgrade my TV to oled at some point this year.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wouldn't a comparison video be useless unless you're also viewing the difference on an OLED screen?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Vita has a web browser. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Commander Keene posted:

The Vita has a web browser. :v:

Which is very useful, since that's how you used to break it open to install CFW. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As well as the 3DS, the Wii U, I'm not as familiar with the PS hacking scene but IIRC the PS3, etc.

Maybe Nintendo's decision to not put a full accessible web browser in the Switch makes a bit more sense now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Wouldn't a comparison video be useless unless you're also viewing the difference on an OLED screen?

There's a lot of useless comparisons online but that never stopped anyone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"lets check out this game in 4K vs 1080p", Uploads video in 720p

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are some things you can tell in oled vs lcd or hdr vs sdr videos while watching on an sdr lcd, but it's mostly just "oh yeah, the blacks are deeper on this one i guess" because the raised blacks on an lcd will appear even more raised on your monitor. it obviously doesn't get across what it's really like in person though

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New patch on the beta channel for keyboard stuff. Personal highlight bolded.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675200/announcements/detail/3401926123915931061

quote:

- Fixed styling for CJK keyboard glyphs so everything appears centered correctly on keys
- Fixed Recommended Layout not always showing up for the author of controller configuration
- Fixed CJK font issues in SteamOS updater when running on Steam Deck
- Fixed focus issue when tapping the show/hide password button
- Removed the gap between keys on the virtual keyboard for improved typing
This is fantastic I thought it just dropped inputs sometimes even though it gave the tactile feedback.

Different topic but early on I had an issue where pasting text didn't work quite correctly. It's hard to describe the characters would not come out 100% they way they came in. A few would be missing or out of order. Pasting the same thing twice gave different results. A restart fixed it and since then background downloads have been disabled. Haven't seen it again but I think it's fascinating. Didn't know pasting text strings was something a PC can mess up.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have a regular Dell office monitor next to a color-accurate Ultrasharp and the difference (not only) in Hades is really amazing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

jokes posted:

There definitely won't be a third deck.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Gabe Newell said on launch they want to do more Decks in the future: https://youtu.be/zw54nB5BQpM (at 8:12)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

if valve were actually serious about wanting to encourage other handhelds then they probably wouldn't have abused their monopoly power to release a product that is impossible to compete on price with

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

if valve were actually serious about wanting to encourage other handhelds then they probably wouldn't have abused their monopoly power to release a product that is impossible to compete on price with

It's more expensive than a Switch though

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

can’t tell if joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

can’t tell if joking

how do you compete with a handheld valve can sell at a loss, subsidized by game sales?