Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You'd be justified and a good mod for doing so

but not so much if Euphronius had spent months loving with that user and threatening them and everyone had been yelling at the mods to please ban Euphronius we don't want him here, he's weird and hosed up and making us all unhappy and uncomfortable

then you'd be negligent

yeah that's what makes the situation less black and white for me and why I'm not fully on team "keep cumshitter permabanned forever" (I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other on his merits as a poster because I never interacted with him as a poster or as a mod). His response was wrong and unacceptable, but it was a response to a bad situation that was in part due to our slow response as a mod team. As I said at the top of that post, we had been hitting Alec with much harsher punishments and were actively talking about a permaban, but cumshitter jumped the gun in a way that can't be acceptable here.

I say all this not necessarily to make a case for cumshitter to stay banned, but to explain why he was permabanned in the first place, to provide context for people who only heard about this second or thirdhand, and to give you the rationale for why the admin team will probably not agree to free him. While some CSPAM posters have fond memories of cumshitter and we as a CSPAM mod team can make the case that he would in all likelihood be fine if allowed back, it's likely that it still won't happen because it could set a precedent that doxxing threats are acceptable under certain circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

vyelkin posted:

this is an internet forum, not a court of law. If somebody started targeting you by repeatedly posting "euphronius you have to post that you love Steph Curry and Nikola Jokic or I will contact your employer and send them an embarrassing video that could get you fired and ruin your life" and included in those repeated posts both a link to the video and your employer's email address, as a mod on this website I would not give a poo poo if they actually followed through, I would permaban them without thinking twice.

Frankly, I don't care that someone who commits blackmail via threats of murder gets a lesser sentence than someone who actually murders someone, this is an internet forum and threats of doxxing are a permaban offence even if actual doxxing is even worse. Just because people get permabanned for a really severe bad thing doesn't mean a permaban is off the table for other bad things that are less severe.

ok but we don’t know who euphronius’ employer is because he doesn’t post videos of himself at work with his employer clearly viable. Also I wouldn’t use the word “embarrassing” to describe a video where someone is waving a razor blade and joking about suicide in the classroom where they work.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Trump thread ➡️➡️➡️ CCCC

💯

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

paul_soccer12 posted:

Full disclosure i paid AIT 500 dollars to launch this campaign

that's the sort of initiative real leaders are born with

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

I understand your pov but part of being a mod is having prosecutorial discretion . posting crimes are not always a strict liability thing. there are plenty of places on the forums where rules are flouted and it’s fine . mods can take the entire circumstances into account. the entire context .

in this case was a lot of context here that is not what I would consider a normal doxxing situation and different than the hypothetical you posit .

I think a commutation of the sentence would be proper in this case . it does not in anyway undermine the basic principle that doxxing is forbidden but does recognize cumshitter deserved to be punished severely . and they were. now that time has passed and cooler heads are looking back in hindsight it’s my opinion the punishment was too harsh considering the circumstances and considering that perma bans have been revoked in other cases .

if the perma is lifted, no one is going yo think “oh doxxing people is allowed now”

also while I agree it’s not a criminal court , people are very familiar with how courts and criminal codes work and consider them to be (more or less - sometimes a lot less ) a fair system of dispute resolution. trials and courts go back thousands of years and are how people talk about these kinds of issues. so yes it’s not a criminal court but i think the metaphor works .

i think the mod is just saying even if you apply the "metaphor" of a court, it's still a forum so the max punishment is a permaban. So naturally both bad things and very very bad things will result in the same "sentence" (a perma) because there just aren't worse penalties

As far as "commuting his sentence" az seems like he already agreed to bring it up with the supreme arbiter, so i think you won here already lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

VideoKid posted:

ok but we don’t know who euphronius’ employer is because he doesn’t post videos of himself at work with his employer clearly viable. Also I wouldn’t use the word “embarrassing” to describe a video where someone is waving a razor blade and joking about suicide in the classroom where they work.

I don't get it, what part of this exactly validates someone threatening to doxx him? You people seem to be unable to maintain 2 ideas simultaneously, it's bad that Alec kept on spamming vlogs, and it's also bad that someone threatened to doxx him for it.

Threatening to doxx someone isn't a normal reaction.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

vyelkin posted:

yeah that's what makes the situation less black and white for me and why I'm not fully on team "keep cumshitter permabanned forever" (I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other on his merits as a poster because I never interacted with him as a poster or as a mod). His response was wrong and unacceptable, but it was a response to a bad situation that was in part due to our slow response as a mod team. As I said at the top of that post, we had been hitting Alec with much harsher punishments and were actively talking about a permaban, but cumshitter jumped the gun in a way that can't be acceptable here.

I say all this not necessarily to make a case for cumshitter to stay banned, but to explain why he was permabanned in the first place, to provide context for people who only heard about this second or thirdhand, and to give you the rationale for why the admin team will probably not agree to free him. While some CSPAM posters have fond memories of cumshitter and we as a CSPAM mod team can make the case that he would in all likelihood be fine if allowed back, it's likely that it still won't happen because it could set a precedent that doxxing threats are acceptable under certain circumstances.

See I think the lesson is not so much "doxxing is okay" but more "we mods hosed up by not listening to our users"

and a good way to prevent that sort of thing from happening again might be listening to users

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes the thread moved on as I was typing all that up . or I got confused in responses . thank you

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

euphronius posted:

yes the thread moved on as I was typing all that up . or I got confused in responses . thank you

you did just fine buddy, have a treat on me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Like no one is going to say:

Well according to CSPAM v. Vyelkin, the precedent has been set that doxxing is not always a permabannable offense so we've got to free ModDoxxer6969

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

free moddoxxer6969

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

moddoxxer6969 did nothing wrong

speng31b
May 8, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

free moddoxxer6969

sorry moddoxxer6969 is currently serving two consecutive lifetime permas without the possibility of a QCS

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

redneck nazgul posted:

free moddoxxer6969

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't get it, what part of this exactly validates someone threatening to doxx him? You people seem to be unable to maintain 2 ideas simultaneously, it's bad that Alec kept on spamming vlogs, and it's also bad that someone threatened to doxx him for it.

Threatening to doxx someone isn't a normal reaction.

I think that the way Alec was treating Cumshitter should be taken into account. I don’t think a permaban is justified in this situation. I hope Jeff looks at all the facts and decides to commute Cumshitter’s sentence.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
bad: digging through years of posts and offsite links to form a profile of your posting enemy

not bad: clowning on the moron who openly posts (and who continues to do so) personally identifying information, ruins thread discourse, and who the mods are taking their sweet loving time handling

I hope this primer helps my fellow smooth brained

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Red Baron posted:

bad: digging through years of posts and offsite links to form a profile of your posting enemy

not bad: clowning on the moron who openly posts (and who continues to do so) personally identifying information, ruins thread discourse, and who the mods are taking their sweet loving time handling

I hope this primer helps my fellow smooth brained

They're both perma'd and the mods have apologized for taking so long to deal with the vlogging guy. Is it okay to threaten to doxx someone if their posting bothers you?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
seriously it's bullshit that The Larry Issue is considered resolved and untouchable because jeffrey is annoyed by him or something even though the situation that led to his forumban in the first place has completely changed (I don't think the current mod team would get the same ire from the wee man)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Like no one is going to say:

Well according to CSPAM v. Vyelkin, the precedent has been set that doxxing is not always a permabannable offense so we've got to free ModDoxxer6969

I think this is probably correct, in that one of the advantages of SA moderation is that we can look at context and don't have to be perfectly consistent in every situation, because moderation is circumstantial. Az has already said he's going to raise this situation with the other admins for review, and I think it's a point in cumshitter's favour that they were apparently posting just fine on an alt account recently, which implies that with Alec gone they could probably go back to being a normal (if you can call them that) poster. As I said, part of why I put the effort in here is to try and provide some transparency for people who missed this the first time around, and to explain why it's possible that even after an admin review cumshitter may remain permabanned, because it's very possible that the admins will decide they don't want someone around who has the potential to threaten doxxing if they don't get their way on forums moderation quick enough.

redneck nazgul posted:

free moddoxxer6969

buddy, you couldn't pay me to take moddoxxer6969

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i think they would get the same ire but i also think they'd be able to deal with it in an adult manner rather than crying to the admins that they got told to choke on a fishbone

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They're both perma'd and the mods have apologized for taking so long to deal with the vlogging guy. Is it okay to threaten to doxx someone if their posting bothers you?

yeah, actually

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
here’s an idea: don’t wanna be doxxed? don’t flood a thread with your personal info

revolutionary I know

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
feel like I’m crossing the line into petty posting and I have said my due, gonna take a break

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I agree that goons post too much PII, I think it rocks that we have a thread full of people that think it's okay to doxx someone using that information.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

threatening to doxx is bad and should be at least a month off + nominal administrative fee

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
So did cumshitter actually poo poo cum?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

all those [mod edit: removed personal information] posts look like actual doxxing and not just threats?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

vyelkin posted:

imo there's more to it than that. Alec should have been permabanned before cumshitter melted down about it, there's no doubt about that in my mind. To put some flesh on the bones Az mentioned, we had been talking about what to do with Alec for about a month at that point, including giving him bans and increasingly lengthy probations for his unhinged posting. From October 25th 2021 to his eventual permaban on January 9th 2022, Alec was banned twice and spent a month and 21 days on probation. Az was also going back and forth with cumshitter in private and with Alec in private and in public to try and get them to stop feuding. We were talking about Alec being on a short road that ended in a permaban, but at the time the guidance we were getting from the admins was that since he was just being persistently annoying rather than actively harmful, we should just start banning him every time he was particularly annoying.

Cumshitter didn't like that state of affairs and had a meltdown where he threatened to doxx Alec. These were the posts in question, so that we can all be on the same page for this discussion rather than playing telephone about what was actually said and done:

cumshitter claims that they never actually sent anything to the school board, but they very clearly and repeatedly threatened to do so, essentially blackmailing Alec via the repeated and insistent threat of doxxing him if he didn't do what cumshitter wanted.

This is a difficult situation, because what cumshitter wanted was correct: for Alec to leave him alone, stop being the main character of the Trump thread, and ultimately be permabanned, which we finally accomplished like a week later. But the way he went about it is absolutely unacceptable. You cannot threaten other posters with doxxing to get your way on this website, and that has to be non-negotiable from a mod or admin standpoint no matter how much the target sucks. If you do, it's a permaban even if you PM a mod afterwards and say "pssst hey my very public repeated threats of doxxing my posting enemy is just an empty threat, don't worry about it". That is a kind of posting that absolutely can't be tolerated for reasons that I hope are very obvious, even though in this case the target of that posting was someone that the would-be-doxxer was right to want gone. Historically, on SA, that kind of behaviour is a permaban offence because we have a zero tolerance attitude to anything close to doxxing, and this was well over that line. And honestly I think this would be a much worse forum if we didn't have that kind of zero tolerance attitude towards both doxxing and doxxing threats.

While these were a lot of words, I read them and have now sided against freeing this poster. However, Paul must still be made IK

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I offer a threefold solution:

1) Unperma both Alec Eiffel and cumshitter, create a special Post My Favorites thread where they (and only they) both have posting privileges, and remove their access to the rest of the forums.

2) Make this an actual court of law in the hopes that one day euphronius will be required to cite cumshitter v Alec Eiffel in open court

3) Robert and Michelle King to make a Forums Court legal drama called The Good Mod

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I agree that goons post too much PII, I think it rocks that we have a thread full of people that think it's okay to doxx someone using that information.

Yeah... its pretty hosed up that people are like well what did he expect? No poo poo you shouldn't do that, but it's not an excuse to then take the information and threaten them with it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

docbeard posted:

3) Robert and Michelle King to make a Forums Court legal drama called The Good Mod

what the gently caress is wrong with you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not saying what cumshitter did was ok or that they didn’t deserve to be punished . just saying that now , 8 months later , perma seems a little severe given all the context

8 month probation is still a major sentence

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

all those [mod edit: removed personal information] posts look like actual doxxing and not just threats?

it was 99% information Alec shared in his vlogs on this site just none of the mods watched them to know that

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

really queer Christmas posted:

Yeah... its pretty hosed up that people are like well what did he expect? No poo poo you shouldn't do that, but it's not an excuse to then take the information and threaten them with it.

spoken like someone who never experienced the reign of Alec

euphronius posted:

not saying what cumshitter did was ok or that they didn’t deserve to be punished . just saying that now , 8 months later , perma seems a little severe given all the context

8 month probation is still a major sentence

but mostly this

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

really queer Christmas posted:

However, Paul must still be made IK

a paul for us all!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

vyelkin posted:

Allow him to come back under psudonym. If anybody reports him for perma-evasion ding that for doxing.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

KirbyKhan posted:

Allow him to come back under psudonym. If anybody reports him for perma-evasion ding that for doxing.

already happened

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

VideoKid posted:

I think that the way Alec was treating Cumshitter should be taken into account. I don’t think a permaban is justified in this situation. I hope Jeff looks at all the facts and decides to commute Cumshitter’s sentence.

Alec’s posting made cumshitter go insane? The hell kinda excuse is this

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

The uncomfortable truth that no trimpf thread goon wants to admit is that cumshitter, along with everyone else in that thread, was always insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the takehome from the alec v cumshitter era of the trump thread was "drat better stop reading this terrible thread named after a guy who stopped being president years ago"