Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I played Alien Logic, it was... a game. It felt weirdly barren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
On the flip side, I saw someone’s retro games podcast the other day had an interview with Flint Dille just talking about his work in CRPGs and it felt very weird. Just “oh I don’t know that side of the man at all”.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thank you all for indirectly clearing up my confusion. This

will be branded in my brain forever more.

My work here is done :colbert:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Oh man, Twilight 2000 takes me back, must've been the first PC game I ever had.

So many weird quirks, like half the skills in character generation not actually being used in the game (not marked as such except in a single sentence in the paper manual, mind) or quest givers speaking completely random languages, so somehow the mayor of Krakow speaks only Welsh - hope you gave every member of your 20-man platoon a single point in a different language! Or how the stat that determined if characters got multiple rounds in combat (by far the most useful stat) was randomly rolled, and only after you'd spent multiple minutes running through the lifepath system. Or how there were a billion kinds of gun and a trillion kinds of ammunition and you were just supposed to know which was for which off the top of your head.

Somehow though, not a bad game. Maybe my standards were just much lower then.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man, I remember this for the Apple II. And I was a huge Car Wars fan too; built cars all the time and ran them in arenas with my friends. (Still am, hypothetically, I guess, but don't know who to play with.)

Anyway, something happened while playing and suddenly my bank account of $5000 turned into $495,000. Don't remember anything I did after that but I must've had a car with 2-3 lasers forward. (It would have been +1 laser more on the car but I'm guessing this was before you could have a turreted weapon smartlinked to your fixed weapons; not sure they even had turrets in Autoduel.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gort posted:

So many weird quirks, like half the skills in character generation not actually being used in the game (not marked as such except in a single sentence in the paper manual, mind) or quest givers speaking completely random languages, so somehow the mayor of Krakow speaks only Welsh - hope you gave every member of your 20-man platoon a single point in a different language! Or how the stat that determined if characters got multiple rounds in combat (by far the most useful stat) was randomly rolled, and only after you'd spent multiple minutes running through the lifepath system. Or how there were a billion kinds of gun and a trillion kinds of ammunition and you were just supposed to know which was for which off the top of your head.
Pool of Radiance had weird poo poo like that. Ports, man.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought Pools of Radiance on steam, after thirty years of memories. I was NOT prepared to re-experience a command line UI, not at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought Pools of Radiance on steam, after thirty years of memories. I was NOT prepared to re-experience a command line UI, not at all.

I replayed it over quarantine. I had the game on one monitor, all the pdf guidebooks on a second, and a UI app for it on a third.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Huuue, I may play it again at some point, I'm just grateful it's been made available at all. Now give me Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday, a game that I'm positive actually rivals Mass Effect and hasn't merely grown in my imagination :argh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've played PoR a ridiculous number of times, but only the NES port. I know that's crazy, but the C64/Amiga version is just too loving ugly. And, you know, the interface.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I have the suspicion that of those games the one for OGRE is probably the most playable by modern standards, and that mostly because it seems like a mostly straight and direct adaptation of the original board game

Also I will probably be beating myself up for the rest of my life for not jumping into that huge anniversary edition of the game they did a Kickstarter for like a decade ago, well unless SJG decides on a whim to do a new edition someday

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I believe most of the parts of that are still available from SJG (except for the one Kickstarter exclusive sheet)? It was just a gigantic set of cardboard models anyway.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Me reading this : "wow, PoR was kind of dope o it's on steam? maybe I'll go see how muc-O gently caress NO".

I'm not used to a single-line post making me feel a full narrative arc.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I replayed it over quarantine. I had the game on one monitor, all the pdf guidebooks on a second, and a UI app for it on a third.

I had *no* idea of the existence of the gold box companion app, and, wow. Time to replay the entire gold box I guess!

For those curious:

- party HUD with HP and status effects above the dosbox window
- automapper (both exploration and battle map, battles show PC and Mobs position/HP/held status)
- fix command for PoR, usable anywhere except in combat (on all games)
- quick combat disable after a fight (some games had it, some didn't)
- level up UI, can use out of training halls
- can open journal entries in game
- font changer
- other stuff i havent touched like various editors

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For my part, I had no idea there was a NES port and, you know what? It's great? It's a faithful recreation of the actual game as far as I can tell, Plan looks the same, ruins seem the same, combat mechanics etc. Only having two main and four total buttons makes everything a LOT MORE intuitive. I'd even say the art's better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fun fact, Fallout was originally going to use the GURPS engine until SJG decided that a PC was incapable of the same quality experience as a tabletop RPG.

Oops. They're probably be bigger than D&D today, considering the timeline.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack B Nimble posted:

Duskers is good though

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Duskers is good though

Well, because I hadn't loaded up a manual on a second screen, I had to do things like discover what key is used for half the commands by trial and error. And it's not intuitive on a modern keyboard - down in the menu is Numpad1.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

For my part, I had no idea there was a NES port and, you know what? It's great? It's a faithful recreation of the actual game as far as I can tell, Plan looks the same, ruins seem the same, combat mechanics etc. Only having two main and four total buttons makes everything a LOT MORE intuitive. I'd even say the art's better.
Imagine me at 8 years old, trying to figure out what's going on with all these AD&D mechanics under the hood. I knew they were there, because even the instruction manual has weapon tables with "larger than man size damage" and stuff like that.

Like, why do darts score multiple hits and end up doing more damage than longbows? Why can the fighter attack 5 kobolds, but can't attack more than one orc? When I finally read AD&D it was revelatory.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 12, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, why do darts score multiple hits and end up doing more damage than longbows? Why can the fighter attack 5 kobolds, but can't attack more than one orc? When I finally read AD&D it was revelatory.

It wasn't particularly revelatory re: the dart/longbow damage thing, other than "Because we said so, that's why. Also we no math good."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I had no idea that the PC with the dart was making multiple attack rolls to begin with. It doesn't show you any dice math.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

moths posted:

Fun fact, Fallout was originally going to use the GURPS engine until SJG decided that a PC was incapable of the same quality experience as a tabletop RPG.
I had heard it was the other way around, that Steve Jackson just objected to the amount of violence in the video game so Interplay walked and just made their own engine.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I thought they just didn't want to pay the license fee.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding pools of Radiance, has anyone tried using only 4 characters?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Huuue, I may play it again at some point, I'm just grateful it's been made available at all. Now give me Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday, a game that I'm positive actually rivals Mass Effect and hasn't merely grown in my imagination :argh:

I remember playing Buck Rodgers Countdown to Doomsday a few years ago because I really enjoyed that ship to ship combat mini-game when you are flying around the solar system. It was abandonware I think and I had to download DOS box. Still fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Looking for a recommendation for a fun casual 2 player boxed card game. I was thinking something like sushi go but that is better with 3+....

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever played in a TTRPG where all, most, or many of the dice rolls and mechanics were processed by the GM, so that you didn't know things like your hit points, skills, etc, and engaged with the game based purely or largely on in character knowledge? If so, what did you think of it, was there anything in particular you liked or disliked, and was there anything you very much wanted to roll yourself, like perhaps the essential combat dice?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Has anyone ever played in a TTRPG where all, most, or many of the dice rolls and mechanics were processed by the GM, so that you didn't know things like your hit points, skills, etc, and engaged with the game based purely or largely on in character knowledge? If so, what did you think of it, was there anything in particular you liked or disliked, and was there anything you very much wanted to roll yourself, like perhaps the essential combat dice?

I have, and enjoyed it as a different sort of experience, but I don't think I'd like making it my normal thing.
Part of the fun of RPGs is the RP, but so is the G, and that requires access to the system crunch.
Just opinion though. I'm certain there are many who'd love it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Atopian posted:

I have, and enjoyed it as a different sort of experience, but I don't think I'd like making it my normal thing.
Part of the fun of RPGs is the RP, but so is the G, and that requires access to the system crunch.
Just opinion though. I'm certain there are many who'd love it.

I should have said, I'll be running it explicitly as an experiment, for three months, before then settling into a projected 18 month d&d module. Running the module is me taking my turn as a DM, and I'm happy to do it, but I'm confident my players will indulge me in running a smaller project of my own first, so I'm thinking a stripped down game like Five Torches Deep with many of the mechanics obscured.

What I keep thinking about is how often perfect knowledge of a setting or system robs a sense of wonder from the game. And really, what dice the players roll is already on a spectrum; think of perception tests.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jack B Nimble posted:

that just sounds like freeform roleplay with less player agency

e: unless you're given enough information to gradually deduce what the actual mechanics are, which still doesn't sound like much fun to me but for different reasons. and i have played a game like that, albeit not in tabletop form -- that's exactly how Blaseball works

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Vaguely related and I didn't get to play in it, but a friend ran a nWoD mortals game where everyone started with blank character sheets and amnesia. They gradually filled in their character sheets as they attempted to do things and learned who they were. It sounded like a blast, but the gimmick wouldn't last outside of a couple sessions.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a fun casual 2 player boxed card game. I was thinking something like sushi go but that is better with 3+....

I strongly recommend Hanamikoji, it's a fantastic two player game that is incredibly easy to teach but has solid bluffing action. There's also The Fox in the Forest which is a trick taking game.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Unknown Armies does this with player HP and damage received but only for those things because the idea is that people are bad at subjectivity and knowing exactly how bad they're doing and it's not as much of a hurdle as it could be because if you're in a situation where you're getting hurt in UA, something has gone very wrong.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i have played a game like that, albeit not in tabletop form -- that's exactly how Blaseball works

If you wanted to do tabletop blaseball, would it be more important to play as the players/teams or to play as fans in the universe?

That Old Tree posted:

Vaguely related and I didn't get to play in it, but a friend ran a nWoD mortals game where everyone started with blank character sheets and amnesia. They gradually filled in their character sheets as they attempted to do things and learned who they were. It sounded like a blast, but the gimmick wouldn't last outside of a couple sessions.

I mean, a blast that has a reasonable expiration date is two points in its favor.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

mcmagic posted:

Lost Cities is a good time. It's simultaneously more basic than Sushi Go but with much more complex emergent strategies, so it might not land quite right if you're expecting something like Sushi Go. Your call.

If you're okay with a slightly bigger box, Summoner Wars 2nd Edition is extremely good.

People tell me Hive is good too but I've never clicked with it. I keep feeling like I should be thinking sixteen moves ahead but I don't know what any of the pieces do and aaaaaaaa

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mcmagic posted:

I like Hanabi.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

potatocubed posted:

Lost Cities is a good time. It's simultaneously more basic than Sushi Go but with much more complex emergent strategies, so it might not land quite right if you're expecting something like Sushi Go. Your call.

If you're okay with a slightly bigger box, Summoner Wars 2nd Edition is extremely good.

People tell me Hive is good too but I've never clicked with it. I keep feeling like I should be thinking sixteen moves ahead but I don't know what any of the pieces do and aaaaaaaa

Agreed on this and Hanamikoji. Also the board game thread will have a ton more suggestions. I'll add Jaipur and Schotten Totten to the list.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tulip posted:

If you wanted to do tabletop blaseball, would it be more important to play as the players/teams or to play as fans in the universe?

Unless it were meant to be a completely different project in the same universe, definitely fans. Blaseball isn't really about the sport itself, it's about obsessing over statistics, commiserating over your team sucking, and rooting for your least favorite players to get incinerated. :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unless it were meant to be a completely different project in the same universe, definitely fans. Blaseball isn't really about the sport itself, it's about obsessing over statistics, commiserating over your team sucking, and rooting for your least favorite players to get incinerated. :v:

Oh yeah for sure that's kind of my mentality too. I'm wondering if you can make a compelling RPG that's not about being an agent but about being an observer.

To clarify I have total faith that you can I'm just kind of curious about how to go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mcmagic posted:

Lost Cities, as said, but also Battleline. Knizia has a mess of two-player card games that are easy to pick up, impossible to master that are great because there are other opponents in the design, i.e. your past selves and also the concepts of Math and Causality.

Also not a card game, but Patchwork is great at 2. Adorably cut-throat.