Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

wiegieman posted:

Here's a fun thought: every one of us has microplastics in us. What health effects do you think those are having?

Go read the deviant art thread and you’ll see what thr millennial / zoomer version of lead brain looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cyrano4747 posted:

Go read the deviant art thread and you’ll see what thr millennial / zoomer version of lead brain looks like.

I think that might be a left-handedness trap. Just because something is more visible doesn't mean it's more prevalent.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

wiegieman posted:

I think that might be a left-handedness trap. Just because something is more visible doesn't mean it's more prevalent.

Counterpoint: look at that thread and tell me that every day we do not drift further from the light of God.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

how much did casting/handling musket balls back in the day also give people boomer brain?

This reminded me of Laura Ingalls Wilder writing about watching her Pa make bullets in Little House In The Big Woods.

quote:

Every evening before he began to tell stories, Pa made the bullets for his next day’s hunting.

Laura and Mary helped him. They brought the big, long-handled spoon, the box full of bits of lead, and the bullet-mold. Then while he squatted on the hearth and made the bullets, they sat one on each side of him, and watched.

First he melted the bits of lead in the big spoon held in the coals. When the lead was melted, he poured it carefully from the spoon into the little hole in the bullet-mold. He waited a minute, then he opened the mold and out dropped a bright new bullet onto the hearth.

The bullet was too hot to touch, but it shone so temptingly that sometimes Laura and Mary could not help touching it. Then they burned their fingers. But they did not say anything, because Pa had told them never to touch a new bullet. If they burned their fingers, that was their own fault; they should have minded him. So they put their fingers in their mouths to cool them, and watched Pa make more bullets.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wiegieman posted:

Here's a fun thought: every one of us has microplastics in us. What health effects do you think those are having?

more buoyancy

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Panaflex posted:

It's called ISR. (infant self, or swim rescue) It's a highly effective program that generally runs a half hour a day for 6 or so weeks. We have an in ground pool and we put both our kids through it when they were each 6 months old. It was quite shocking to watch at first but both kids by the time they were done with the class could be tossed in fully clothed and pop up on their backs and float. They're 7 and 10 now and just own at swimming in general.

How do you get over the whole "toss my infant child into the water" thing? It seems like a tough barrier to entry.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

satanic splash-back posted:

How do you get over the whole "toss my infant child into the water" thing? It seems like a tough barrier to entry.

Don't be crazy, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe, just hand over the baby already idiot.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

it's true there is a certain amount of natural selection going on but over a long enough timeframe we expect it to be perfectly safe

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Unless you worked in a shot tower, your atmospheric and environmental lead exposure level would be vastly lower than the leaded gas era.

Clearly its the only explanation for my posting.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Fermilab is getting up to some Aperture Science poo poo. Get your jumpsuits and springboots ready.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

"Be ready to kill Mantis-Men!"

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

McCracAttack posted:

I would feel better if it just popped up a cube with a question mark on it and told the driver to take the wheel because it didn't know WTF that was.

Edit: Though I guess "uncertainty" is still kind of a weak spot for AI.

The fact that it keeps guessing and doesn't hand off the task, despite the fact that it clearly doesn't know what it's doing is so perfectly on-brand for a tesla

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm already making a list of people whose houses I'm gonna burn down with combustible lemons

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cat Hatter posted:

:dumb: "Maybe just this once I won't bother to meticulously reread my post to make sure my phone's keyboard didn't get any ideas"

If this isn't a joke, what is the middle adapter doing?

Making the entire setup, just that much worse.

Its *possible* that the middle one is just to add some space between the trailer end "hitch" and the bumper.
Like maybe if they got rid of the middle one then the top part of the trailer end hitch would hit the car bumper and well obviously this person is so careful and attentive and safe, they can't damage the bumper on their car!!

Though they could probably trim it (the adaptor) just a little bit to make it not hit the bumper if that is the problem.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

*Old person rant

KIDS THESE DAYS, EVEN THEIR DISEASES ARE MADE OF PLASTIC, BACK IN MY DAY, WE HAD THINGS MADE OF METAL IT WAS MEANT TO LAST!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ELON MUSK posted:

it's true there is a certain amount of natural selection going on but over a long enough timeframe we expect it to be perfectly safe

ftfy

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I don't think the only choices are "toss it in and it swims for a bit" or "baby dies".

I really wish this had sound.
https://i.imgur.com/BNljXlc.mp4

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

ekuNNN posted:

crosspost from the schadenfreude thread:

also
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rglif7pHKo1r0uzl6.mp4

I work in a hardware store and can tell you that anyone who buys that neon green paint color looks like the gentleman in the video. One guy thought it would make girls think about sex more when they would see his living room this color.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Like the gentleman with the sword? Yeah I bet it turns all the bitches on!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Toupee Groupie posted:

I work in a hardware store and can tell you that anyone who buys that neon green paint color looks like the gentleman in the video. One guy thought it would make girls think about sex more when they would see his living room this color.

There are people who paint one wall in chroma key green and aren't planning on making YouTube videos?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

ChesterJT posted:

I don't think the only choices are "toss it in and it swims for a bit" or "baby dies".

I really wish this had sound.
https://i.imgur.com/BNljXlc.mp4
Best I could find...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWmQRrPNUI

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

That is the last test after the 6 weeks. The instructors are very gentle with the babies and spend a lot of time working with them on basic swimming technique like going 5 feet to a rigid structure they can grab. It's quite striking how well the instructors interact with them.

The YouTube link that started all this is clearly the end test for a baby.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

HolHorsejob posted:

The fact that it keeps guessing and doesn't hand off the task, despite the fact that it clearly doesn't know what it's doing is so perfectly on-brand for a tesla

I mean you could wake the driver up but that could lead to angry tweets. Better to find out what that looming white object or small tan one is on your own really.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

So did that fuckin guy run himself or his kid over or what?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cat Hatter posted:

There are people who paint one wall in chroma key green and aren't planning on making YouTube videos?

Nnnoootttt YouTube videos specifically....

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Give up, skeleton.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who has had to deal with the aftermath of ivy really getting into a wall and roof, gently caress that plant forever.

Such a destructive bastard weed.

What does it do?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I know on my garage if it gets under the roof it'll start splitting the roof/shingles off.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

TotalLossBrain posted:

It'll be microplastics for us

the dinosaurs' revenge

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

GotLag posted:

What does it do?

Ivy sends root tendrils into any cracks it can find. Not only do these tendrils grow, they are used to support the growing weight of the vine. This tends to be bad for whatever they're stuck into.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. It pulls roofs and sides of houses right the gently caress off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

brick has to be maintained regularly, to the surprise of everyone who thinks "brick wall strong good" then ends up seeking a $35,000 HELOC to redo the exterior and abate whatever water damage resulted from the wall turning into a standing waterfall feature every time it rained

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Toupee Groupie posted:

You'd think they'd notice someway or another that it's only their dick that is that color. Strange.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ivy on walls looks whimsical. I say keep it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ive also murders trees, especially english ivy.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

brick has to be maintained regularly, to the surprise of everyone who thinks "brick wall strong good" then ends up seeking a $35,000 HELOC to redo the exterior and abate whatever water damage resulted from the wall turning into a standing waterfall feature every time it rained

Euh not if you know how to build a brick building.
My parents hous is almost 100 years old, no maintenance is ever done to the brick work.
Ventilation is key I thinks

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

ivy on walls looks whimsical. I say keep it.

Ivy on walls is really nice in Planet Zoo because it covers my horrible architectural decisions.

I assume the same applies in real life.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Plan R posted:

"Be ready to kill Mantis-Men!"

Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You’ll know when the test starts

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mynameismud posted:

Euh not if you know how to build a brick building.
My parents hous is almost 100 years old, no maintenance is ever done to the brick work.
Ventilation is key I thinks

Have they repointed it, ever? Because maybe that’s ok if they live in Arizona but ruh roh if they live someplace that gets rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have they repointed it, ever? Because maybe that’s ok if they live in Arizona but ruh roh if they live someplace that gets rain.

Do you think that everyone is constantly having to get their houses repointed in the UK? My parents lived in a centuries old brick house that has never needed repointing whilst they were there over 2 decades, not even close to needing it. There's loads of old brick houses around, it rains a lot, and you rarely see people having to get the brickwork re-done.