Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Catboy Slim
Aug 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Slow News Day posted:

While you losers were doomering, Dems were making things happen:

:smug:

hey will the resulting court cases still fall under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court jw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If I had to rely on what fell from the sky, idk if I could grow anything.

oh you’ll be growing things all right, inside you, from the PFAS in the rainwater and so on. good luck getting surgery and chemo and surviving it!

this is assuming you don’t succumb to millennial colon cancer in the next 10-15 years.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Catboy Slim posted:

hey will the resulting court cases still fall under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court jw

they will fall under the jurisdiction of my very large dick, hth

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s gonna suck hard when you can’t get vaccines or ppe or antivirals

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Slow News Day posted:

While you losers were doomering, Dems were making things happen:

:smug:

ah yes, after a nonbiased bipartisan public scientific review process they'll be able to implement lobbyist approved regulations in as few as four or five years from formulation

of course, if automakers or energy companies sue that'll be another three or four years of cases and appeals or more if the appeals court remands it more than once or twice

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

endlessmonotony posted:

1. Got those.

2. Got those too. I can easily deal with travel like that, and for healthy people it isn't a big deal.

you can blacksmith? that's a pretty cool skill to have (serious)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Eason the Fifth posted:

The cool thing about the universe is that it ensures organic life sees itself out

"The purpose of life is to end." -- Agent Smith

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Green onions are the easiest thing ever dude. I've already harvested 20 lbs of garlic, 100+ lbs of tomatoes (40lbs went into jars as sauce), endless kale and chard. Just growing in 570 square feet too.

But I can just turn on the tap and get all the water I want. If I had to rely on what fell from the sky, idk if I could grow anything.

I'd say it's not just water, but redundancy in general.

We've had a garden every year for around a decade. We grow so much food at this point that trips to the grocery store in the summer and spring are really just a luxury. We also got wrecked (for the first time ever!) by deer this year, despite our garden being locked up like fort knox. Who cares, no big deal, time to get the fall garden in, but it'd be a huge loving deal if we were specifically growing food to feed ourselves instead of as as a fun hobby.

Growing, building, and maintaining things are useful skills to a community, but without that community, you're always one bad break away from being hosed. People who obsess over their amazing survival skills rarely understand how deeply they're benefitting from society's existing support systems. This criticism doesn't apply if you're already a mountain man who's been living off the grid for the past twenty years, but lmao to everyone else.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

it’s gonna suck hard when you can’t get vaccines or ppe or antivirals

the american experience

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Evil_Greven posted:

collapses are, implicitly, not slow

Faster than the build up, sure, but some forms of collapse are faster than others

Rome didn't fall in a day

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

Faster than the build up, sure, but some forms of collapse are faster than others

Rome didn't fall in a day

the path of increase is slow, but the road to ruin is rapid

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i'm not going to be like all those farmers who suffered under droughts and kings and warlords and weather and sickness and emperors and gods and priests throughout history. unlike them, i know all about the upcoming biosphere collapse, which to date, has been easily measured and meeting all expectations. i'll be fine.

the dust bowl? holodomor? yellow river floods? lol. unlike these people, i'm smart. i will easily survive off the raw, plastic riddled land, with its total lack of topsoil. plus, like, i own a gun. what are they going to do? shoot me?

yeah I live like 10 miles outside of seattle so I think when the Great Famine comes, those people will probably die off before they manage to walk to my homestead. hell, thats more than ive ever walked in a day.

Minera has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Aug 23, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Minera posted:

i'm not going to be like all those farmers who suffered under droughts and kings and warlords and weather and sickness and emperors and gods and priests throughout history. unlike them, i know all about the upcoming biosphere collapse, which to date, has been easily measured and meeting all expectations. i'll be fine.

I don't like your sarcasm. I'll be fine though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

screaming "based" at the wilting crops to try and offset the cringe as i realize the crops dying of cringe means i will actually, literally starve and die

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm going to be that woman at the end of Threads desperately trying to mill some bits of wheat on the bare ground with a rock, while crying.

Feels good to have a plan :smug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Minera posted:

you can blacksmith? that's a pretty cool skill to have (serious)

Yeah, but I really shouldn't. That's auntie's job.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Plus I know what's going to eat you alive and how to protect myself from it without needing to rely on a dwindling supply of medications to keep it at bay.

A whole lot of people are strangers to the land around them and will just stay put until it's too late. :smug:

endlessmonotony posted:

Of course, if you try to follow in my footsteps without the preserved knowledge of generations before me, you'll literally be eaten alive. :madmax:

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm staying in the city as long as I have access to a flush toilet and cold fresh water literally on tap.

I hear they're hard to appreciate if you've always had 'em. :clint:

You got a weird attitude, fella. Emojis and emphasis added for accuracy.

Genuinely curious, why do you want to survive? A sense of both determination to and certainty that you will survive seems to be your cope, and that's fine. We all have our brains broken by this somehow. Personally I just find the prospect of survival really fuckin' unappealing! What do you like about it?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

lol if your plan isn't to hole up and drink yourself to death right before things get really really bad.

r u ready to WALK posted:

i haven't even got a stockpile of cheap alcohol
i'm a terrible prepper

thats actually probably a good idea. everyone will want drugs and alcohol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Samuel Glompers posted:

You got a weird attitude, fella. Emojis and emphasis added for accuracy.

Genuinely curious, why do you want to survive? A sense of both determination to and certainty that you will survive seems to be your cope, and that's fine. We all have our brains broken by this somehow. Personally I just find the prospect of survival really fuckin' unappealing! What do you like about it?

Your emoji are all off by a lot, and that accusation of being weird sure feels like projection.

I don't like surviving, in fact, I don't really like surviving what I'm going through now. But I'm quite good at surviving things I don't enjoy surviving, and have to enjoy the things I enjoy instead. Which are not common now, so being reduced to a subsistence lifestyle sounds like a solid sidegrade.

Sorry, but my reaction to "it's all meaningless" has been "so there's no reason I should hold myself back". You can despair for both of us, I'm sure you're up for the challenge.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

I’m honestly not sure if arfjason is doing a bit like he’s been doing for ten years on a host of threads and topics or unironically making GBS threads on people in this thread for worrying about an extinction event

hes hitting the post button

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

I'd say it's not just water, but redundancy in general.

We've had a garden every year for around a decade. We grow so much food at this point that trips to the grocery store in the summer and spring are really just a luxury. We also got wrecked (for the first time ever!) by deer this year, despite our garden being locked up like fort knox. Who cares, no big deal, time to get the fall garden in, but it'd be a huge loving deal if we were specifically growing food to feed ourselves instead of as as a fun hobby.

Growing, building, and maintaining things are useful skills to a community, but without that community, you're always one bad break away from being hosed. People who obsess over their amazing survival skills rarely understand how deeply they're benefitting from society's existing support systems. This criticism doesn't apply if you're already a mountain man who's been living off the grid for the past twenty years, but lmao to everyone else.

I'm not so sure the mountain men make it either. Sure, there's the hope that collapse happens instantly enough that cars become a nonissue, but if gasoline and such become less available over even a few months they'll face a wave of tens to hundreds of thousands of wannabe mountain men and I'm not sure that their habitat survives that one.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

You can despair for both of us, I'm sure you're up for the challenge.

Lmao there's that bizarre attitude again. I guess the tough guy eff u doomer stuff helps you cope with disaster? Whatever you need to get by man, like I said we're all cracked here

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't like surviving, in fact, I don't really like surviving what I'm going through now. But I'm quite good at surviving things I don't enjoy surviving, and have to enjoy the things I enjoy instead. Which are not common now, so being reduced to a subsistence lifestyle sounds like a solid sidegrade.

Sorry, but my reaction to "it's all meaningless" has been "so there's no reason I should hold myself back".

Idk what to say man this is all borderline incoherent. Hold back... What? For me it was holding back on certain indulgences I find destructive, and since I let go of that I have been enjoying plastic wrap and paper towels a great deal, along with all matter of partying at the end of the world. Ofc the end of the world still makes me sad sometimes. It's sad to see mass genocide of life!

I really, truly am curious why you want to survive - just more love of life than most? It's baffling to me bc I see nothing to live for there other than morbid curiosity, and personally I'll pass on that. If you wanna face the question and answer earnestly, I'm all ears. Doomsday attitude is interesting to me. I'm sorry to hear about the rough poo poo you're surviving now fellow doom poster, and I wish you success in your survivalist efforts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
emojis added for accuracy

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Samuel Glompers posted:

Lmao there's that bizarre attitude again. I guess the tough guy eff u doomer stuff helps you cope with disaster? Whatever you need to get by man, like I said we're all cracked here

Idk what to say man this is all borderline incoherent. Hold back... What? For me it was holding back on certain indulgences I find destructive, and since I let go of that I have been enjoying plastic wrap and paper towels a great deal, along with all matter of partying at the end of the world. Ofc the end of the world still makes me sad sometimes. It's sad to see mass genocide of life!

I really, truly am curious why you want to survive - just more love of life than most? It's baffling to me bc I see nothing to live for there other than morbid curiosity, and personally I'll pass on that. If you wanna face the question and answer earnestly, I'm all ears. Doomsday attitude is interesting to me. I'm sorry to hear about the rough poo poo you're surviving now fellow doom poster, and I wish you success in your survivalist efforts

Honestly, leading with inaccurately attributing tone to someone for emphasis is a bold move, shame you don't have the chops to pull it off.

The entire question is wrong, and the only possible answer is "mu". I don't have to love life to keep surviving, all I got to do is not die, and nobody can keep that up forever, so I'll get around to dying when I can find a moment. It can wait, until it can't, and then I'll be insensate and beyond the capacity to care. I'm not tough enough to survive forever, frankly it's a miracle and a half I'm around now, but I know I won't lie down and die either.

But I also grew up among a culture consisting entirely of weirdoes who didn't like other people and were preparing for the day society collapses, so I'm rather over taking all the doom and gloom seriously.

To be fair to my culture it wasn't that way before WW2 and being driven out of our home.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Reflecting on those engineers and workers in the depths of the Titanic dutifully keeping the lights on and the boilers burning despite the futility of it all. That's most everyone's unstated plan for confronting climate change.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

we’re all just gonna get gunned down by police when the line for water rations turns violent

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Homeless Friend posted:

emojis added for accuracy :engleft:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I want to survive so I can issue the last and loudest I told you so

Then I will die

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Chinese scientists clear blue-green algae bloom from massive lake with cheap ‘sterilisation’ boat

China has figured out how to combat algae bloom. They basically pop the air bubble that holds it afloat and it sinks into the deep and dies.

quote:

But a special boat developed by Cong Haibing, a professor at Yangzhou University's College of Environmental Science and Engineering, was able to reduce the concentration of floating algae in Lake Tai by more than 80 per cent, the official Science and Technology Daily reported.

The drone-guided boat is able to approach an algae colony as soon as it appears on the lake surface and implement a "birth control" technique that requires no drugs or chemicals, Cong told the paper.

"In order to remain suspended on the water surface to receive light for growth and reproduction, cyanobacteria have evolved a tiny air pocket in their bodies to provide buoyancy," the professor was quoted as saying.

The boat has equipment to crush those air pockets, causing the cyanobacteria to sink to the bottom of the lake and eventually perish.

The algae will not die immediately, but "wither away in the dim, dark [underwater] environment". "This is equivalent to a sterilisation operation," said Cong.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 09:24 on Aug 23, 2022

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Even those monks who are arahants, whose taints are destroyed, who have lived the holy life, done what had to be done, laid down the burden, reached their own goal, utterly destroyed the fetters of existence, and are completely liberated through final knowledge

... you'll not be destroying *my* taint, no sir

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The permacringe is slowly being consumed and releasing irreversible amounts of fail into the ecosystem. What? Whats so funny? You think its funny the world will never be based again??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Samuel Glompers posted:

I really, truly am curious why you want to survive - just more love of life than most? It's baffling to me bc I see nothing to live for there other than morbid curiosity, and personally I'll pass on that.

People don't need to rationalise their will to survive you loving weirdo, it's like the single most ingrained instinct in any life form.

E) anyway the answer to "what's going to eat you alive" is probably mosquitos for lots of us.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ArfJason posted:

The permacringe is slowly being consumed and releasing irreversible amounts of fail into the ecosystem. What? Whats so funny? You think its funny the world will never be based again??

what do you do when you get probed?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Evil_Greven posted:

collapses are, implicitly, not slow

depends how you define your terms. like there's the concept of catabolic collapse... where crises force a given society to shed some portion of its infrastructure, governing culture or whole sectors of its economy as unsustainable. But when that happens, it frees up resources for more productive uses, resulting in a new stability or even partial recovery. at least until the next crisis.

seen from the perspective of history, we just call this a collapse. but for those who live it, it's more of stairstep sequence of decline where each downward slide sheds untold numbers of people into poverty and immiseration. in the U.S. this poo poo started in the 70s.

climate induced catastrophe of the sort discussed itt certainly seems like it would accelerate this process, but overnight collapse is largely the stuff of fiction... really a form of wish fulfillment. except I guess on a local scale. if your house in Eastern Kentucky got swept away in a flood of rain and coal slurry that probably seemed pretty collapsey.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

CODChimera posted:

what do you do when you get probed?
goes back to his beautiful wife

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
subsistence farming your way out of the apocalypse lmao

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

People don't need to rationalise their will to survive you loving weirdo, it's like the single most ingrained instinct in any life form.

E) anyway the answer to "what's going to eat you alive" is probably mosquitos for lots of us.

I don't really agree, I think most people rationalize their desire to live on some level or another after grappling with a search for meaning and purpose in life, and that the biosphere collapse short circuits a lot of those rationales that people would otherwise never examine too closely. There is a reason the thread policy is that you should not kill yourself.

I'm also clearly not alone in not wanting to trudge on in the doom, plenty of posts about planned or existing drug hoards and booze hoards for whenever things get too grim.

Survivalist mindset is sincerely interesting to me, I'd love to hear a biosphere collapse prepper wax philosophical about the whole thing

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
So is the idea that the idea of making out a living wouldn't be possible when the global and local infrastructure collapses? Starvation doesn't sound that fun ngl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catboy Slim
Aug 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
i would simply choose somewhere safe when the earth turns into an oven