Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Asterite34 posted:

How would this work? Would you play as a giant monster? Or would you be one of the human characters who engage with the often-crazy human scale plot while a monster attack happens in the background? Like you're a scientist trying to stop Atlanteans stealing your robot schematic, or a PI busting up a diamond smuggling ring, or a journalist protecting a foreign dignitary/psychic Martian from assassins or whatever, and occasionally you have to dodge some falling building rubble?

I would absolutely adore a game where you play the psychotronic spy portion of a Godzilla movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Halloween Jack posted:

It actually got one, the Pokemon Jr. Adventure Game. Very short-lived.

Give me an E!

Give me an F!

Give me a B!
BEEF!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

How would this work? Would you play as a giant monster? Or would you be one of the human characters who engage with the often-crazy human scale plot while a monster attack happens in the background? Like you're a scientist trying to stop Atlanteans stealing your robot schematic, or a PI busting up a diamond smuggling ring, or a journalist protecting a foreign dignitary/psychic Martian from assassins or whatever, and occasionally you have to dodge some falling building rubble?

So I have two thoughts:

1) Players are a group of people accomplishing an objective during or because of a monster attack. Basically all of your suggestions there, or maybe you're part of the task force trying to deal with Godzilla et al and y'all get to ride that sweet flying submarine or pilot a prototype Mechagodzilla or something.

2) You play as monsters but it's the very goofy showa era movies so it's mostly about being goofy and doing weird wire fu and "talking" to each other. This would probably be something very light on the level of Lasers and Feelings or All Out Of Bubblegum and is probably not the option an official RPG would go for :v:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

The Deleter posted:

Godzilla? Feels like something someone would look at, although my impressions of the higher ups at Toei are that they are even more prehistoric than the big scaly guy himself so maybe it's not that surprising.

There was a Kaiju game as a subsection of Pantheon, but that's not a traditional RPG.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Toho, not Toei, owns Godzilla.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The one I always think of for "surprising there isn't an RPG yet" is currently six movies and a few shows and video games deep, and that's Jurassic Park.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does Disney have some sort of official TTRPG?

Which part of Disney? Star Wars has had a few. Admittedly, all the released ones were worked out before Disney bought it. There's a new one in the works now. Same with a Marvel RPG. They haven't done any sort of licensed RPG with their famous animated films or product lines, as far as I know.

CitizenKeen posted:

That's a good point. I guess I could/should rephrase the question as "What's the IP that's most surprising as not having a TTRPG?"

In terms of Western IPs corporations would reasonably see as worth licensing? Minecraft, maybe? I know there's some old 3e era World of Warcraft licensed rulebooks, but it's surprising nobody's tried with 5e rules yet. Starcraft hasn't gotten anything official has it? Otherwise, maybe God of War and The Last of Us? Oh and League of Legends.

The Elder Scrolls might be surprising, but maybe they see TTRPGs as being close to direct competition for the niche they occupy?

I'm surprised WotC hasn't tried doing a full MtG re-wrap of 5e rules yet, but that's still possible after they finish the upcoming rules update.

e- I guess other Hasbro products are still open and maybe they're holding off until the rules conversion on them, too? Things like GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Transformers. No wait disregard that, Renegade Game Studios has made RPGs for all of those.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 24, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Countblanc posted:

Pokemon is massively popular and profitable, regularly branches into weird territory wrt spinoff brands, and has a unique setting, so it's a bit surprising.

Digimon is a lot less popular (though still doing fine) but is even more surprising given how much they like to make it seem like a more mature franchise with its spinoffs.

Bandai has been doing a lot with Digimon the last couple of years so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a tabletop RPG shows up eventually

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

A game about being government bureaucrats trying to find a way to stop the rampaging Kaiju wrecking the city like in ShinGoji...

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Plutonis posted:

A game about being government bureaucrats trying to find a way to stop the rampaging Kaiju wrecking the city like in ShinGoji...

One of my white whale gaming ideas was a Savage Worlds game where the players were members of the Haggar administration in Metro City, solving civic issues and throwing criminals into trash cans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plutonis posted:

This conversation reminded me Godzilla 2 for the NES, where you start by playing planes and tanks fighting the kaiju, and later Godzilla and friends are on your side against the alien kaiju.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Asterite34 posted:

Starchilde games had Monsters! which was pretty much Kaiju the RPG and Savage Tokusatsu has PC Kaiju as a default campaign type.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

This might not be the biggest ips out there but I was always surpriased no one tried to make rpgs out of Hyperion Cantos .

Hyperion would have the Rifts problem of wildly different ability levels between the genres included in its kitchen-sink setting.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

theironjef posted:

The one I always think of for "surprising there isn't an RPG yet" is currently six movies and a few shows and video games deep, and that's Jurassic Park.

Not licenced but there is a fairly recent PBTA rpg called Escape From Dino Island that may be up your alley.

I think the biggest missed opportunity (and this may be straying into full blown industry talk so apologies) is actually sports as a genre in rpg's. It's kind of crazy that FIFA or the NFL have never in all their money making exploits ever thought to licence an rpg for people to live out sports based stories in, considering there is already tons of built in drama and they seem to licence for every other form of media but I suppose there's an expectation of those interests being mutually exclusive.

(they aren't, one of the top 10 games on steam every year is a spreadsheet football game)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Blood bowl is RIGHT THERE, ready to be stolen into an xcom alike where the foozeball is turned based and RPGified.

Hell, back in the late 90s my TTRPG friends at another high school made a football board game that was a big hit over there. I think it was just a simple paper rock scissors of play making plus some simple dice rolls?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Not licenced but there is a fairly recent PBTA rpg called Escape From Dino Island that may be up your alley.

I mean I don't specifically want a JP ttrpg experience, the question was more "what big franchise are you surprised doesn't already have one."

That said I will check it out because I do love dinosaurs and the usual problem with dino RPGs is the seemingly inescapable desire to make up goofy new dinosaurs. Isn't a baryonyx scary enough that developers don't constantly feel like they have to give it lightning eyes and call it a Teslasaurus Imperiex or whatever?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I was going to say Transformers, but it's got one in the works.

Oh man, I just remembered playing some Transformers RPG on IRC about 200 years ago. I wonder what game it was, I think it was based on FATE or something.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I'm not at all surprised about the lack of a licensed sport RPG. The only good sports RPG I can think of - period - is Worldwide Wrestling. Making a good sports RPG would be pretty tough. Making it good enough that the cost of slapping the NFL logo on the cover is worth it would be ever harder.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the influences and spiritual predecessors of Spell Jammer? Flash Gordon, that one I know. And Buck Rogers? What would be recommended examples of both? Any particular prog rock album? Movie? Are there any well regarded novels in Spell Jammer itself?

Literally watch the Buck Rogers movie. Its on youtube and the soundtrack is from Queen.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I'm not at all surprised about the lack of a licensed sport RPG. The only good sports RPG I can think of - period - is Worldwide Wrestling. Making a good sports RPG would be pretty tough. Making it good enough that the cost of slapping the NFL logo on the cover is worth it would be ever harder.

It's just be Fantasy Football except now you gotta act out the Tebow prayers or whatever.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

habituallyred posted:

Literally watch the Buck Rogers movie. Its on youtube and the soundtrack is from Queen.

That's the Flash Gordon movie. Buck Rogers just had a TV show.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

BUCK.... Ah aaaaahhh! He'll save every one of us!

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Nuns with Guns posted:

Starcraft hasn't gotten anything official has it?

A tie-in with the Alternity system. With no vehicle rules!

https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Alternity:_StarCraft_Edition

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Wheeljack posted:

A tie-in with the Alternity system. With no vehicle rules!

https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Alternity:_StarCraft_Edition

So it was a box with a few short adventures you run through using prefab characters? What a strange implementation of the game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the influences and spiritual predecessors of Spell Jammer? Flash Gordon, that one I know. And Buck Rogers? What would be recommended examples of both? Any particular prog rock album? Movie? Are there any well regarded novels in Spell Jammer itself?

The art of Rodney Matthews was a rather large inspiration. Jeff Grubb, the big architect of Spelljammer in the late 80s, had this particular poster in his dorm room in college

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

theironjef posted:

I mean I don't specifically want a JP ttrpg experience, the question was more "what big franchise are you surprised doesn't already have one."

That said I will check it out because I do love dinosaurs and the usual problem with dino RPGs is the seemingly inescapable desire to make up goofy new dinosaurs. Isn't a baryonyx scary enough that developers don't constantly feel like they have to give it lightning eyes and call it a Teslasaurus Imperiex or whatever?

Some sympathy for the position, but as soon as I read the words "Teslasaurus imperiex" I wanted to know more, so I think it's pretty clear why people make up goofy new dinosaurs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

The art of Rodney Matthews was a rather large inspiration. Jeff Grubb, the big architect of Spelljammer in the late 80s, had this particular poster in his dorm room in college

I always wondered about this Frazetta. My stepdad had a poster of it in the living room when I was a kid:

Galleon, 1973.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'd read a rulebook for a Caves of Qud TTRPG.

Asterite34 posted:

awesome

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tulip posted:

I'd read a rulebook for a Caves of Qud TTRPG.

awesome

I had that poster! So cool.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Atopian posted:

Some sympathy for the position, but as soon as I read the words "Teslasaurus imperiex" I wanted to know more, so I think it's pretty clear why people make up goofy new dinosaurs.

Really makes me annoyed that Dinosaur Planet Broncosaurus Rex ended up being mediocre Confederacy apologia because the concept of "steampunk cowboys ranching dinosaurs on an alien planet" is an amazing concept and deserves a better game

Leperflesh posted:

I always wondered about this Frazetta. My stepdad had a poster of it in the living room when I was a kid:

Galleon, 1973.

Kind of has me picturing War of The Worlds or Mars Attacks but with the Martians invading places like Neverland, Wonderland, and Oz

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

theironjef posted:

To be fair to RPGs the Jurassic World movies do the same thing. (Watch Prehistoric Planet instead/in addition)

Also there are, what, three new somewhat Baryonyx-like spinosaurids out of southern England in the last few years? Ceratosuchops inferodias, Riparovenator milnerae, and the huge one that hasn't been named yet afaik?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

...and the huge one that hasn't been named yet afaik?

Teslasaurus imperiex

Has to happen.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Teslasaurus Imperiex, the Lightning in His Eyes.

Well dammit now I've sold myself.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For an RPG concept I'm tinkering with, I'm creating these nerd groups called houses. Think MMO guilds that transcend any setting/IP. Anyway.

They've got names like House Atreides, House Stark, House of Mogh, House of M, etc. Stuff nerds are into.

I feel like I'd like a house for anime. I've penciled in House Pikachu or House Evangelion, but that's because I know poo poo about anime. Suggestions for cool sounding anime house names that non-fans would recognize? I acknowledge anime is huge and picking one name is an impossible task, but whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
house x hunter, for HxH. its not going to be recognizable to non fans, but it is funny

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 26, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CitizenKeen posted:

For an RPG concept I'm tinkering with, I'm creating these nerd groups called houses. Think MMO guilds that transcend any setting/IP. Anyway.

They've got names like House Atreides, House Stark, House of Mogh, House of M, etc. Stuff nerds are into.

I feel like I'd like a house for anime. I've penciled in House Pikachu or House Evangelion, but that's because I know poo poo about anime. Suggestions for cool sounding anime house names that non-fans would recognize? I acknowledge anime is huge and picking one name is an impossible task, but whatever.

There's probably a good Castle in the Sky/Castle of Cagliostro/Howl's Moving Castle joke in there somewhere.

Why does Miyazaki keep making movies that get translated to have "castle" in the title. That's incredibly specific.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CitizenKeen posted:

House Deikun is obscure enough to be nerd bait without actually being a deep cut at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CitizenKeen posted:

Hakurei

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

So the majority of these are already “Houses” or direct references to something that is a house in the family sense. Ideally you’d want a house in the family sense from some famous anime, or an anime title with the term in it, as with “House of M”.

However, what you can do is rely on the fact the word “Otaku” originally had a meaning similar to household/family, which means you can use that double meaning of both household/family and huge loving nerd by just naming something “Otaku” in place of “House”. (Any actual real-world language problems with this can be elided as simply English-language anime nerds getting it wrong.) So like… “Annie May no Otaku”: “House of Annie May”, but also implies anime nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hausu