Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

CitizenKeen posted:

For an RPG concept I'm tinkering with, I'm creating these nerd groups called houses. Think MMO guilds that transcend any setting/IP. Anyway.

They've got names like House Atreides, House Stark, House of Mogh, House of M, etc. Stuff nerds are into.

I feel like I'd like a house for anime. I've penciled in House Pikachu or House Evangelion, but that's because I know poo poo about anime. Suggestions for cool sounding anime house names that non-fans would recognize? I acknowledge anime is huge and picking one name is an impossible task, but whatever.

House Zeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hausu no Otaku*

*Otaku means home

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1563058143479103488

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Nuns with Guns posted:

So it was a box with a few short adventures you run through using prefab characters? What a strange implementation of the game.

Yes indeed. I figured it was meant as an easy gateway for computer gamers to try tabletop games. If they liked it, there were other, full, Alternity games waiting for them.

Now that I think of it, the Diablo II RPG Wizards did was the same, using stripped-down D&D.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

House Goku feels completely necessary tbh, probably the most necessary.

Splicer posted:

Hausu no Otaku*

*Otaku means home

lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Teslasaurus Imperiex, the Lightning in His Eyes.

Well dammit now I've sold myself.

Congratulations, you've come full circle and created Jurassic World.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Hausu no Otaku*

*Otaku means home

L5R already did that (and later renamed to Utaku)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do they have be houses? Can one be the Dragon cabal Z? Because you're going to struggle to make one that conveys "anime" to the uninitiated without seeming obnoxiously obvious to even a limited viewer, so you're gonna have to use a pun to soften the blow.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Student Council House

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do they have be houses? Can one be the Dragon cabal Z? Because you're going to struggle to make one that conveys "anime" to the uninitiated without seeming obnoxiously obvious to even a limited viewer, so you're gonna have to use a pun to soften the blow.

They don't have to be. They're all called "Major Houses". I try to name them after a "House" or "House of" in the major genre/IP they'll be aping, but if that doesn't exist, I'll just make something up. So there's House Olympus (formerly House Madden), and "House Olympus" doesn't mean anything. Likewise House Dunwich. If I have to reach a little deep into the IP, then I usually will, see e.g., House Bombadil.

So where possible I lean on an existing "House [of]", but if it doesn't exist, then I've just prepended "House" to something that sounds cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like most of the houses you mentioned sound cool to the people into the thing they're referencing, but most of these anime suggestions sound more like they're taking the piss rather than trying to be something an in-universe fan would want to associate with. As a big manga nerd the last thing I'd want to do would be to join Otaku House or w/e.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My suggestion would be to break it down to two or more houses, or at least make the one house you have for anime refer to a specific kind like Shounen. No not every anime fan is isn't shounen stuff but many of the ones that are would probably think "Hidden Leaf Village" or "Kame House" sound like a cool houses.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Countblanc posted:

I feel like most of the houses you mentioned sound cool to the people into the thing they're referencing, but most of these anime suggestions sound more like they're taking the piss rather than trying to be something an in-universe fan would want to associate with. As a big manga nerd the last thing I'd want to do would be to join Otaku House or w/e.
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that you think I was being less than serious with housu otaku asterisk pause asterisk otaku means home

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Countblanc posted:

Yeah, exactly. These are meant to be crew playbooks, to borrow a term. They're meant to sound cool to fans of X (for some minimum value of cool), and understandable to anybody sitting down to play a TTRPG. If you've literally never consumed any Star Wars media, "House Organa" might be lost on you, but if you're sitting down to play a TTRPG, you'll probably get the reference even if you're not particularly into Star Wars.

Just wanted to ask fans what that phrase is, without going to r/anime or whatever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Kame House is very good if your players will get it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Countblanc posted:

My suggestion would be to break it down to two or more houses, or at least make the one house you have for anime refer to a specific kind like Shounen. No not every anime fan is isn't shounen stuff but many of the ones that are would probably think "Hidden Leaf Village" or "Kame House" sound like a cool houses.

Uh, "Kame House" based on some internet searching seems perfect. Thank you.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Maybe House Nakama too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
On a tangent to bring in other media, may I throw out house arrest, house call, and house fire.

Though house call mean no house house

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Who are these people? Haven't asked them yet. Looks like I joined an anime house by accident.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

House Futanari, from the Duchess Futanari "Big Sword"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel like doing specific media properties and then The Whole of Anime is a poor idea in general

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was going to ask, they "transcend any setting/IP" but also defined by, what, a certain fandom? I'm trying to name something I don't actually understand.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The Dean, angrily: “Anime House!”

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leraika posted:

I feel like doing specific media properties and then The Whole of Anime is a poor idea in general

You think you're there for House One Piece but you find out you're there for House School Days.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Leraika posted:

Yeah, sorry. That's not quite what I'm trying to do, though I recognize I may be approaching it or phrasing it wrong.

I was attempting to find what the biggest anime franchises were, and then find a house in that. As a total outsider to anime, my guess had been Neon Genesis Evangelion, Pokemon, and DBZ in terms of size of franchise. I might do two houses from two big IPs, or maybe three if I need more.

The idea is (in this universe) less "All anime fans like this" in the same way that it's not "all science fiction fans like Dune/Star Wars/Star Trek", but more "if you want to hang with people with similar interests".

The Major Houses (in universe) are probably most analogous to MMO guilds and those MOBA teams that all live in the same house. They're each a self-governing society in a Dream Park-like world where LARPing is the world's most popular sport.

(Mechanically, they're similar to Blades in the Dark Crew Playbooks, as each player team is a Minor House within a Major House.)

DalaranJ posted:

The Dean, angrily: “Anime House!”
The fact that I didn't think of Animal House makes me a little cranky.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leraika posted:

While it is certainly fading I think you can still discern a certain sort of Fandom (Anime) (General) out there; it is just that there has been enough exposure and nuance for people to develop actual discerning tastes within he medium. That said, the intended goal seems to be 'a recognizable way to assume the identity of some kind of empowered anime fan, recognizable in fact to people with only passing familiarity to the medium'

So Kame House is a pretty good way to split the difference, since Dragon Ball is up there for 'universally recognized anime program'

Nessus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 26, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CitizenKeen posted:

I was attempting to find what the biggest anime franchises were, and then find a house in that. As a total outsider to anime, my guess had been Neon Genesis Evangelion, Pokemon, and DBZ in terms of size of franchise. I might do two houses from two big IPs, or maybe three if I need more.
Eva is big but less big than you'd probably think. If you're going in terms of financial imprint you're probably looking at House Pretty Cure and House One Piece, with everything else being a rounding error. Ghibli might also be up there but I'm not sure how big Ghibli actually is in Japan-proper.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

CitizenKeen posted:

e.g., House Bombadil.

For the love of Eru and all the Valar, make this house Feanor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe this is a USA thing but I feel like DBZ absolutely nails "universally recognized anime", yeah. You've got an absolute ringer there in Kame House. It's not any more obscure than calling one of them House Atredies instead of House Dune or House Trek.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The anime house should ironically be called the Kobayashi Maru.

Maru means "circle" but traditionally a lot (most? all?) of ships were named the <something> maru, and the star trek Kobayashi Maru is just some ship named in the Japanese fashion,. But of course, as a star trek joke, naming the anime house after the ship in the unsolvable scenario in which cadets learn to accept that there are no-win scenarios, until a superheroic leader changes the game to make a point, feels like it suits, no?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 26, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nessus posted:

Eva is big but less big than you'd probably think. If you're going in terms of financial imprint you're probably looking at House Pretty Cure and House One Piece, with everything else being a rounding error. Ghibli might also be up there but I'm not sure how big Ghibli actually is in Japan-proper.
They technically don't count, but Pokemon and Anpanman have made billions and billions, and Transformers is in the same neighbourhood as DBZ and Gundam, which are the biggest franchises that started with anime.

The really surprising thing is that NGE has made less money than Fist of the North Star, and both of them make the vast majority of their money from pachinko machines. We need to figure out how to get Monsterhearts on one of those sports betting websites.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 26, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tulip posted:

You think you're there for House One Piece but you find out you're there for House School Days.

Nice Houseboat

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Kame HAME HOOUUUUSSSSEEEE

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Magnusth posted:

For the love of Eru and all the Valar, make this house Feanor.
Please do not encourage Fëanorians.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nessus posted:

It has its own sold-out theme park to the point where I've never been able to get a ticket even with planning trips a year+ in advance. Miyazaki's movies and the list of highest grossing Japanese films are almost the same lists in different orders. There's an absurd market for Ghibli products that's mostly kept down by draconian quality control meaning that the island of Kyushu can't drown in plush Totoro dolls.

Studio Ghibli is loving huge in Japan.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It may be an older thing but self-identifying as “otaku” was a big thing in the anime fandom (not just the western one, even: the term Entered the English lexicon through Otaku no Video, a show about Japanese nerd culture), and self-deprecation was also a bit of a thing back when I internalized all this stuff.

In the mid to late 00s.

Urgh.

Now, I too am become one of those people constantly complaining about being reminded they’re no longer college age! It seemed so quaint when I was 20. :shobon:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lumbermouth posted:

Maybe House Nakama too.

A strong important word with no direct translation in English and not just because Kaizoku Fansubs were lazy. :hai:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

One of my white whale gaming ideas was a Savage Worlds game where the players were members of the Haggar administration in Metro City, solving civic issues and throwing criminals into trash cans.

This is a fantastic idea. You should also have rules for piledriving a punk into a inbox worth of paperwork.

Tulip posted:

I'd read a rulebook for a Caves of Qud TTRPG.

In the Indy sphere there is. Or at least it is pretty heavily inspired by Qud. It is called Vaults of Vaarn .

https://graculusdroog.itch.io/

https://vaultsofvaarn.com/

I have the first book. There are four at the moment.

Here are a couple backgrounds of characters from Vaarn. Also if you really like tables, you will like Vaults of Vaarn.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Caves of Qud is almost literally just a Gamma World fan project turned into its own IP, especially with respect to the earlier (in terms of real-life release date) parts of the game and its lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Caves of Qud is almost literally just a Gamma World fan project turned into its own IP, especially with respect to the earlier (in terms of real-life release date) parts of the game and its lore.

You are right. Gamma World just totally slipped my mind.

Anyway I have a question for you all that I think is better asked here than the Steam thread. I'm looking for a cooperative boardgame that either has a digital version or someone has made a setup of in Tabletop Simulator. The boardgame should be for 8 year-olds or at maximum 10 year-olds to adults. I want to stay away from any mechanic that incentivizes player vs player conflict. Opinions appreciated.