Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I would simply wear headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like Feb 8th is latest hit for 512 orders, ahead of the Feb 25th order start. I'd imagine next week is going to be slow, then pick up again after.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
For a game where audio matters as much as it does in Death Stranding there's no *way* I'd be playing it without headphones. I basically wear headphones all the time anyway because I like to be able to crank music or videos or whatever and not have to give a care about bothering anyone else.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

TuKeZu posted:

Select the gear icon next to (L/R) Joystick / Trackpad Behavior -> Output -> Output Joystick. You can even have multiple inputs set to the same stick and they'll work simultaneously. Swapping those around won't change your gyro behavior though, if you're using gyro as stick then it also has the same Output Joystick option in a similar location

Will give that a go, thanks!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Does anyone have any experience playing Magic Arena on deck?

Almost all of the internet posts are from 3 months ago and mostly just say what I already do: run the installer as a non-steam game, then change that shortcut to point at the installed executable.

That's worked fine for me for the dozen or so non-Steam games I've installed but Magic Arena only works the first time I install it. After that it'll still patch and take me to the screen that would normally have a login except that that's always blank. This has happened across three reinstalls and many Proton versions.

Most of the internet posts are also from people looking forward to playing, not actually playing, or looking like they've only played it the once.

New set came out and I'd kind of like to not be tethered to a computer.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there like a dummy's guide to sharedeck? The Death Stranding setup they have just says to set everything to 40fps which I've done, but I'm getting half the battery life it says I should be. The options don't exactly line up 1:1 so I feel like I'm missing something

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Is there like a dummy's guide to sharedeck? The Death Stranding setup they have just says to set everything to 40fps which I've done, but I'm getting half the battery life it says I should be. The options don't exactly line up 1:1 so I feel like I'm missing something

Step 1: don’t believe the bullshit you read when someone says what works on their system.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Cool feature that Valve should add: different game performance profiles that automatically change depending on if the Steam Deck is plugged in or not.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Cool feature that Valve should add: different game performance profiles that automatically change depending on if the Steam Deck is plugged in or not.

Would be nice

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thinking about changing the fan to be quieter, anyone have words of wisdom about it?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

After succumbing to Goon pressure, largely from this thread…I picked up Vampire Survivors tonight.

Thank you all for the peer pressure hive mind consensus, game owns!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

After succumbing to Goon pressure, largely from this thread…I picked up Vampire Survivors tonight.

Thank you all for the peer pressure hive mind consensus, game owns!

It's fuckin great. I love changing direction after a while and hoovering up a billion XP crystals.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there an easy way to connect the deck to your PC to transfer save files between the two? I have not hosed around with installing windows on it or anything, just running the deck as-is. Just plugging in a USB cable doesn't make it pop up as a hard drive I can manage, which wasn't too surprising.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there an easy way to connect the deck to your PC to transfer save files between the two? I have not hosed around with installing windows on it or anything, just running the deck as-is. Just plugging in a USB cable doesn't make it pop up as a hard drive I can manage, which wasn't too surprising.

Warpinator is so easy even I did it

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

here is my "how's the controller" question: I don't feel I can play smash bros well with the switch in handheld mode. would the deck be better or worse for that? like, action games where you have to use all the buttons with good reflexes and stuff.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

v1ld posted:

lol. I used a switch pro controller with the switch and it broke, never got to use it with Steam. According to this post from the Steam developers from 4 years ago the pro controller's gyro should just work in Steam: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller support via Steam Input.

Are you sure you've bound the gyro input in your config? It's the infinity symbol like thing in the bottom left of the last pic in that article. Click it and make sure it's bound to some action when you move the controller.

It's not bound to anything by default.

E: I've only skimmed, but this video seems to cover it in possibly too much detail and in a very excited voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CenJLOTGxLc

that really does go into detail, great helper video. If he said you can, I missed it, but can you go gyro for the up-down and stick for the left-right?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is a whole thing. Fan running loud also means that the system is using a fair bit of power which cuts down on battery life. I generally try to tune games so they won't run the fan much and get 3-4 hours handheld (if possible), and if I'm docked the extra power goes to FSR scaling.

How long do you get handheld out of, say, slay the spire vs death stranding vs an snes emulator?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 2, 2022

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Mescal posted:

How long do you get handheld out of, say, slay the spire vs death stranding vs an snes emulator?

For me, I run P4G just fine with every power saving measure on and it reports ~6 hours.
The highest power drain I've seen has been Xenoblade 3 in yuzu and that was ~3 hours.

Beyond draining the battery quickly; the heat, noise and plastic smell make running higher drain games much less enjoyable.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Turn on Windows Samba sharing so you can wirelessly transmit files in desktop mode. Or you can check out SyncThing.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

For me, I run P4G just fine with every power saving measure on and it reports ~6 hours.
The highest power drain I've seen has been Xenoblade 3 in yuzu and that was ~3 hours.

Beyond draining the battery quickly; the heat, noise and plastic smell make running higher drain games much less enjoyable.

plastic smell?? that's a terrible omen.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah uh electronics should not smell like burning plastic under load wtf

Though to be fair I built a new desktop about a year ago and that thing smelled like flux under load for the first something like eight months so idk. I bought it at the tail end of the worst part of the chip shortages that we still haven't fully recovered from, I imagine the assembly line QC was and is a bit loose.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hello I just got my thing and kinda forgot to have ordered it in the first place and now I'm figuring out what the hell this is and how quickly I can turn it into a fully functional posting station

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Uhhhh you maybe should get your deck looked at there

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

imo there’s a performance cutoff where people would be better off streaming to the deck rather than running locally eg Elden Ring

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Goons Are Great posted:

Hello I just got my thing and kinda forgot to have ordered it in the first place and now I'm figuring out what the hell this is and how quickly I can turn it into a fully functional posting station

That takes like 45 seconds. Just tab over to chrome

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I tried turning the wattage down from 15 to 10 and that seemed to quiet my fan down, though it didn't do much for my battery life. Does that sound right or just a coincidence?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I tried warpinator for file sharing and the windows client finds the deck for like half a second and then says it's offline, while the deck client can't see anything

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
can mobaxterm or the like handle mounting samba shares

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Super No Vacancy posted:

I tried warpinator for file sharing and the windows client finds the deck for like half a second and then says it's offline, while the deck client can't see anything

Make sure you're using Winpinator on the windows side.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Boy I really hate these analog sticks. I want to put some thumb grips on them but apparently there's some capacitive component to them and things won't work right. Does anyone have some caps on theirs they can recommend?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah, you're going to need something special for the touchpads on the buttons. I've found a decent compromise is a grip on the left stick, with the right one bare. I've not run into any control issues with that so far.

if you wanted maybe you could wrap some al foil around a grip and see if theres enough capacitance running through it? not ideal, but well

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can just cover them, you're probably not going to be using the capacitive input on the top of the stick for anything unless you use it to turn on Gyro aiming.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

Make sure you're using Winpinator on the windows side.

yeah I am, and let (both instances of?) it through the windows firewall so idk

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah I am, and let (both instances of?) it through the windows firewall so idk

Go into winpinator preferences and change the network adapter from auto to the ethernet or wireless adapter you use on the PC. Change it from auto to wlan0 in warpinator on the deck. I had the same issue.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah saw that suggested on reddit and had no luck with that either. thanks tho

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A couple controller related tips:

- Turn down the dead zone on the analog sticks

If you find navigating in desktop mode cumbersome, I highly recommend remapping your controller with these tweaks:

https://youtu.be/piBDVQdVexA

Easy access to middle click, back/forward mouse clicks, and iPod-style circular scrolling with the left trackpad is really nice.

I also like turning acceleration on for the right trackpad - I’m really surprised this is off by default? Moving files from one half of the screen to the other was quite annoying without this turned on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Any way to VNC (or otherwise) into the desktop mode of the deck to control it without having to plug in a hub?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam Link will allow you to stream the Decktop. I've been using it a lot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was thinking about this recently; it would be a nice idea however a third scenario is that you're plugged into a battery bank, in which case the device wouldn't necessarily be able to determine the difference between being plugged into the grid but you'd still want to be in the lower-power mode to maintain maximum battery life.

Opopanax posted:

I tried turning the wattage down from 15 to 10 and that seemed to quiet my fan down, though it didn't do much for my battery life. Does that sound right or just a coincidence?

It should definitely reduce the heat generated and thus lower the fan noise, however it should also reduce power consumption and thus improve battery life. To note is that the power adjustment is only the APU, not total system draw (e.g. the display and all other components,) so you're not going from 15 to 10 W, instead it's more like, say, 25 to 20 W (not exact numbers, the point is that it's less than a 33% reduction in power use.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Commander Keene posted:

Steam Link will allow you to stream the Decktop. I've been using it a lot.

Thanks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Thanks to thread legened sigher for helping me get Yuzu working!