Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
even birds know
https://twitter.com/TansuYegen/status/1564980521263833091

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

get that bird an account

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

drat thats a crazy rear end video

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

some plague rats posted:

Maybe it's because people are probably hesitant to interrupt a clown's funeral

Don't wanna risk a road rage incident with a clown car. They just keep piling out...

for the record, I love the clown car

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

got a nice new bike lane in town and... uh...

https://twitter.com/christina_mcmac/status/1564737543798661120

god damnit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I guarantee all they think "gee, this lane seems pretty shrimpy"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I guarantee all they think "gee, this lane seems pretty shrimpy"

They think "if I don't park and deliver these packages right now I will get behind schedule and be fired."

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Weembles posted:

They think "if I don't park and deliver these packages right now I will get behind schedule and be fired."

still, to drive in the moving truck lane, tsk tsk

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

he's doing the shittest drug delivery mission from GTA Online, have a little sympathy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

that permabanned goon is gonna sh**t him

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

a goon with a permaban is a goon with nothing left to lose

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my other account still hasn't been unbanned and it's not perma'd whats the deal

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

my other account still hasn't been unbanned and it's not perma'd whats the deal

You have to pay the ten bucks.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Suplex Liberace posted:

I had a great one today! And yesterday infact

hell yea

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Someone honked at me in the crosswalk again today, and I don't think it's because I'm really hot. Their windows were so tinted that I could only see their knuckles on the wheel. This is a sensible way for people to interact with each other.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

this isn't really true for buses in the city .. they all have the schedules linked to google/apple so you know when the next one is coming, your phone tells you which bus to take and which stop to get out or transfer, it's more comfortable to travel in a bus whether there's traffic or not, and when you factor in not having to park or walk to the parking spot you come ahead on time for sure.

just my 0.2 miles :iiaca:

lmao, lol. Schedules are at best a suggestion. And live tracking of transit vehicles? What is that wizardry. Here our buses and trains regularly arrive 10-20 minutes late, or sometimes 5-10 minutes early, and that's how we like it, just learn to embrace chaos as your master.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Someone honked at me in the crosswalk again today, and I don't think it's because I'm really hot.

fuckin' Canada geese

Harik posted:

For reference, here's an average completely normal and non-violent car interaction, illustrated. My friend's bedroom, at night. Drunk driver went completely through it, nothing left. Had they been asleep at the time I'd have been at their funerals. This is after the guardrail, a couple trees and a power pole. All designed to break-away to keep the driver safe, hurray!

Driver fled the scene to sober up, no charges.

My ~wife~ was hit by a car while walking down a sidewalk and spent a few days in hospital plus has lingering issues. The driver pulled in to park, then suddenly accelerated into a brick wall. Literally one second away from being completely flattened or conversely, entirely unscathed. A detective contacted her later and after a few meetings said that the driver reported having a medical condition (possibly epilepsy) but also that they were a nurse and 'too busy' to be interviewed about the incident and that was the end of it.

I play hockey with a goalie who has had several seizures while on the ice and who's gonna stop him from driving? (mostly unenforceable laws in some jurisdictions, YMMV)

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Sep 1, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

eXXon posted:

A detective contacted her later and after a few meetings said that the driver reported having a medical condition (possibly epilepsy) but also that they were a nurse and 'too busy' to be interviewed about the incident and that was the end of it.
"Oh officer, you want to talk about whether I'm a serial killer? Sorry I'm just too busy. Thanks, I knew you would understand."

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Sep 1, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Losing my mind here. Every time a popular business opens near our busy downtown, people complain because "it's going to generate traffic."

OK, to repeat that: People don't want convenient grocery stores and good restaurants because they imagine they will slow down their driving. They don't see this as a car problem. They see having too many good things in an area as a bad thing. They want amenities spread out across town to "keep traffic down." Sprawl, the very thing that drives traffic. This is why people are upset that there's going to be a grocery store within walking distance of thousands of people who would otherwise have to drive across town. gently caress

Where the heck do you live and where do you hear complaints like this?

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I have heard it but in the context of fast food only. In my last town there's a new starbucks going in, this was the chief complaint on the town facebook group. It's a fair complaint because there's no crosswalks within 500 feet of the location, and a cute old couple got creamed by a driver there last month. most supporters of the new starbucks said the expanded tax base might help support town infrastructure which is at least ostensibly true. there was some complete numbskull citing the traffic study as a reason it wouldn't affect traffic (which was a worthless NHTS estimate only) but that was it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

It's not that uncommon. There are some small suburban towns in Massachusetts that have literally no supermarkets and virtually no stores or restaurants at all and oppose any development because of "traffic" with the result that everyone who lives in the town has to drive to neighboring towns that do have supermarkets just to get milk or something

Essentially it's like taking the suburban euclidean zoning dream to an even shittier extreme. Instead of just making everything else shittier at the expense of keeping your own street "nice", the entire town is trying to keep its entire area as single family homes and trying to push all development into the adjacent towns. Even though the result isn't even pleasant since it means a long drive for everything, it's also kind of fundamentally lovely because from the perspective of the people doing it they're clearly also motivated by the desire to push negative externalities on other people.

This is why you absolutely should not divide up municipalities so that suburban single family home owners have completely control of their own area with no consideration to overall planning.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Sep 1, 2022

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Something about my velomobile really does short-circuit carbrain, because I get almost universal positive reactions from drivers when I'm in it vs. when I'm on a normal bicycle where cars either pretend to not see me or intentionally try to run me over for sport. I don't know if they think I'm disabled, or if they think it's actually a car of some kind.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

if they think it's actually a car of some kind.
It's probably this, OP

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Metro Atlanta. It's the typical refrain around here. People actually want all of their amenities spread out because they can only understand density through the lens of car traffic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hear it wrt grocery stores and apartment buildings. People generally seem excited about fast food; they blame other drivers for the traffic backups.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
why is there long line when I want food??? car is supposed to go fast, not slow!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Something about my velomobile really does short-circuit carbrain, because I get almost universal positive reactions from drivers when I'm in it vs. when I'm on a normal bicycle where cars either pretend to not see me or intentionally try to run me over for sport. I don't know if they think I'm disabled, or if they think it's actually a car of some kind.

Hate when I get my carbrain short-circuited because I saw some kid stealing iron man's codpiece

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

mystes posted:

This is why you absolutely should not divide up municipalities so that suburban single family home owners have completely control of their own area with no consideration to overall planning.
Set up tolls on all the entrances and exits to the suburb. I'm 100% for congestion pricing.

or if they think it's actually a car of some kind.
They think it's a cute baby car in the wild. It's so rare to see a baby car outside of a Ford factory.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

larper posted:

I have heard it but in the context of fast food only. In my last town there's a new starbucks going in, this was the chief complaint on the town facebook group. It's a fair complaint because there's no crosswalks within 500 feet of the location, and a cute old couple got creamed by a driver there last month. most supporters of the new starbucks said the expanded tax base might help support town infrastructure which is at least ostensibly true. there was some complete numbskull citing the traffic study as a reason it wouldn't affect traffic (which was a worthless NHTS estimate only) but that was it

Does the Starbucks have a drive-thru and a giant parking lot? If so, it will not, in fact, bring in an expanded tax base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Had a good ride the other day

My sister in law is wanting to modeshift her grocery shopping

So I found a $25 second hand cruiser. Rode 10 km to pick it up, then rode 10km doubling the purchased bike and have spent the last week doing it up

New tyres and grease, a quick clean of the chain and gears and it rides like a dream

I added the trunk in the back, I have the same system on my bike and it's been great for groceries for the last year

Bicycle advocacy!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Great colour!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ridiin two bikes at once is a high level technique

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I am keeping an eye out for second hand tandem bikes

After having my converted cruiser cum cargo bike I want to make a convertible cargo/tandem hailer

Like putting some foldable pedals on it and a foldaway cargo flatbed

Since I genuinely use my bike as my primary transport being able to confidently carry a second person and/or 50/100 kg of cargo

As long as I can hit a comfy 20km an hour and have some super low gears I can deal with most anything

Most of my friends ride bikes and I live near a two major bikeways, would be sick to take care of my shopping, then ride to a mates place, and then we ride together to a movie theatre or w/e. Or to pick up my partner after a night out in the city

So just keeping my eyes on the classifeds

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I mean

Booo cars....
Yaaay bikes...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

cum cargo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

ridiin two bikes at once is a high level technique

i always think the second bike is stolen when I see it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I did it a week ago and my arm still hurts , rip my body

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Jestery posted:

Had a good ride the other day

My sister in law is wanting to modeshift her grocery shopping

So I found a $25 second hand cruiser. Rode 10 km to pick it up, then rode 10km doubling the purchased bike and have spent the last week doing it up

New tyres and grease, a quick clean of the chain and gears and it rides like a dream

I added the trunk in the back, I have the same system on my bike and it's been great for groceries for the last year

Bicycle advocacy!

hell yeah now we just need a 2nd of you in america

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Death to CAR

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

CAR: no, death to YOU

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1565665463618752514

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

cars that kill people in crashes go to car valhalla if they get wrecked in the process