Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the ultimate British folk song is 'kill, have sex with, and then eat your rich friends', the ultimate Chinese folk song is 'I dodged the draft to have sex with my mother', and the ultimate Irish folk song is 'I got tricked into leaving Ireland by a beautiful fairy, but getting drunk and beating up the English makes me feel better about it'. Gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I wish twitter hadn't made it so hard to read tweets without signing in. My blood pressure is about 500 right now after reading about Corbyn's £multi-million house that probably cost £2.50 when he bought it and the vile Hodge woman not quite saying but definitely allowing the reader to infer that Naomi is anti-semitic. And as for the pillock commonly known as Crafty Wank....
I must sign out and only read embedded tweets on here.

franco posted:

I don't have a twitter account, but a pro tip (that I might have learned from this thread?) if you get the "LOG IN TO SEE THIS YOU BELLEND" is to click/tap the login option then you get an X top left of the box and go to town.

This week I swapped from Chrome to Firefox as the former will prevent adblockers from working early next year. One trick I discovered is that uBlock Origin has a couple of options for 'annoyances' filters that are off by default, but if you enable them it blocks the Twitter login pop-up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I saw this pic doing the rounds yesterday too:

https://twitter.com/MrM58415790/status/1565363069802500097

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
JK Rowling books are like American diner food, terrible but at least the portions are huge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Stolen from FB

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Imagine if any part at all of the modern web was designed for the user instead of for increasing value for shareholders, what a world would that be

Though maybe making it harder to read twitter does count as improving our lives i suppose

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's how you get geocities.

I.e. a much better web.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

JK Rowling books are like American diner food, terrible but at least the portions are huge.

Speaking of Rowling, I discovered her latest example of awfulness.

She (maybe) has Ireland still under the rule of the hated Brits in the Harry Potter Universe.
Basically someone posted this on Ireland Simpsons Fans.

To put it in context (since I needed to have this fully explained) by one commentator,

"This would be like if the Irish soccer team was owned organized and administered by the British ministry of the interior."

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/jrmallcock/status/1565732298892480513

:toot:

I'm still impressed how many replies are people just refusing to believe it, or telling them to just raise their prices or fire some staff.

We are quite the boot licking nation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't the restaurant just wear a jumper

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of Rowling, I discovered her latest example of awfulness.

She (maybe) has Ireland still under the rule of the hated Brits in the Harry Potter Universe.
Basically someone posted this on Ireland Simpsons Fans.

To put it in context (since I needed to have this fully explained) by one commentator,

"This would be like if the Irish soccer team was owned organized and administered by the British ministry of the interior."

IMO the Irish shouldn't have their own national team if they are under the purview of the British. Outrageous.

It's easily explained by the fact that Joanne wrote an awful lot of things without considering any possible consequences of them. Because she's deeply uninterested in anything but trans people I assume

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They could just buy more energy efficient kettles and then cook their meals in those.

Wallop. Energy crisis. Sorted.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Makes sense, quidditch is like an ultra posho sport that exists apart from prole world.

Irish hedge wizards play different sports where they find quidditch lads and hit them in the flying balls with a big flat stick.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

I'm still impressed how many replies are people just refusing to believe it, or telling them to just raise their prices or fire some staff.

A lot of people just simply don’t believe it, which is fair because:

A - it just doesn’t make sense, with what they know of the world
B - everything has been focused on the price cap which doesn’t matter if you’re a business

As you can imagine, my brewery uses a lot of electricity and the next X months until the government does something - and it’ll surely have to, even with Truss - are going to be spicy as gently caress.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The whole price cap thing seems like a bizarre red herringy way of talking about energy prices.

It's not a cap on the amount a household can be charged in a year, but some people think it is

It's not a cap against prices going up, only against overcharging relative to wholesale prices (I think?)

It's expressed as a yearly figure, but changes multiple times a year

It represents an "average" household

It doesn't apply to businesses, or to people like my friend who lives in a (shared ownership, flammable cladding) block of flats with shared heating, because she doesn't have a contract with an energy company (the BBC have at least noticed this - love the "government spokesperson" dismissing this is a "small minority")

The only use I can see is "price cap goes from £1000 to £2000" means energy prices double. But is it too nerdy to just want a price per kWh?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Red Oktober posted:

A lot of people just simply don’t believe it, which is fair because:

A - it just doesn’t make sense, with what they know of the world
B - everything has been focused on the price cap which doesn’t matter if you’re a business

As you can imagine, my brewery uses a lot of electricity and the next X months until the government does something - and it’ll surely have to, even with Truss - are going to be spicy as gently caress.

Yeah, the bill for a friend's small shop that she runs is going from £300 a month to £2500 a month and it's like, there is no cost saving or passing on to customers you can do to cover that. Especially since people are going to have less money to spend anyway. Gonna be even more ridiculous when parliament goes into recess again on 23rd September without having done anything, kicking it forward for another few weeks.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Bobstar posted:

[price cap reporting is lovely]

The only use I can see is "price cap goes from £1000 to £2000" means energy prices double. But is it too nerdy to just want a price per kWh?

True all that, and I loathe that the only numbers given as the "average household". In case anyone was looking for it, you can find the find the kWh prices here

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

...but even that's buried.

It's of a piece with utility switchers, pension calculators, etc etc - they obfuscate and make assumptions instead of being precise. Just gimme the drat rates, you goddamn chiselers!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Looking forward to the photos of a deserted Oxford Street in the run-up to Christmas; no money to spend and no surviving shops to spend it in

Those damned millennials and their online shopping finally killed the high street, they’ll say

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

xtothez posted:

This week I swapped from Chrome to Firefox as the former will prevent adblockers from working early next year. One trick I discovered is that uBlock Origin has a couple of options for 'annoyances' filters that are off by default, but if you enable them it blocks the Twitter login pop-up.

What’s this about chrome stopping ad blockers?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Brave is Chrome but with built in ad blocking, if that's useful to anyone.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

IllusionistTrixie posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/10/23131029/mozilla-ad-blocking-firefox-google-chrome-privacy-manifest-v3-web-request

Basically they are preventing the more powerful ad blockers from working in real time to new forms of ads.
Currently, browsers can read the incoming data and decide if its an ad or not in real time, and can block that entire website domain thats sending them.
Usually ads are sent by ads.whatever.com or notso its easy to determine or keep a list to compare to.

Chrome says its going to remove the ad blocker ability to check the incoming data, so any new ads not recognized will get straight through.
Chrome is going to become how Netscape ended up, wall to wall ads for poo poo.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
At least Netscape gave us a cute dinosaur with sunglasses. Chrome just gave us the multi-colored HAL 9000, which seems appropriate.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

TACD posted:

Looking forward to the photos of a deserted Oxford Street in the run-up to Christmas; no money to spend and no surviving shops to spend it in

Those damned millennials and their online shopping finally killed the high street, they’ll say

Wall to wall sweet shops

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

happyhippy posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/10/23131029/mozilla-ad-blocking-firefox-google-chrome-privacy-manifest-v3-web-request

Basically they are preventing the more powerful ad blockers from working in real time to new forms of ads.
Currently, browsers can read the incoming data and decide if its an ad or not in real time, and can block that entire website domain thats sending them.
Usually ads are sent by ads.whatever.com or notso its easy to determine or keep a list to compare to.

Chrome says its going to remove the ad blocker ability to check the incoming data, so any new ads not recognized will get straight through.
Chrome is going to become how Netscape ended up, wall to wall ads for poo poo.

Which browser should I move to?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

notaspy posted:

Not for me to say, its your own personal choice.
It hasn't happened yet, so who knows if it will do so.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

https://labourheartlands.com/a-reply-to-owen-jones-keep-it-comradely/

Have something to do with our tankie mate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never stopped using firefox, I use it on my phone too so I can watch youtube without ads, it's good.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

notaspy posted:

Edge and Brave are both based on the same engine as Chrome, so Firefox will probably be the only option for adblock. Aside from Safari.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Firefox works fine for me, easy to customise with adblockers, scriptblockers etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I use ublock origin and noscript, haven't seen an ad in a long time.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Mebh posted:

all they have to do is increase their meal prices ten-fold. checkmate, bourgeoisie!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I never stopped using firefox, I use it on my phone too so I can watch youtube without ads, it's good.

Ditto, been using it since i left AOL decades ago.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have a Pi-hole that hangs around on the way to my network, giving ads misleading directions so they never find their way to my precious devices.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Except Youtube ads, you still need ublock for them. They're very sneaky.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I have a Pi-hole that hangs around on the way to my network, giving ads misleading directions so they never find their way to my precious devices.

The only decent ISP I have available is Sky and their router doesn't like a Pi-hole :orks:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just can't easily get away from the google ecosystem. I've tried Firefox and brave and i just end up having chrome installed to do various things that fall over in another browser. Then just use chrome for everything. Doesn't help that I have a pixel phone, but the drat thing is Nokia 8210 indestructible and I'm a clutz.

Also having all my passwords stored and able to easily be shared to any device i need is just so goddamn convenient. If worryingly insecure at times.

Yeah it's all stuff i could set up and probably will once the ad blocking goes away, either that or just get a raspberry pi and set up pihole.

One thing i will miss is sponsorblock that youtube vanced comes with optionally. Basically user based tagging that will auto skip sections of videos like intros, sponsored segments, useless guff etc. Really nice quality of life.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Youtube ads really suck, but if you want a real treat try watching stuff on the Chinese site Youku where they let you skip the ads if you just pay 10 Yuan. Unsure if that's a one off fee but the way it reads is you need to pay every time, £1.30, to skip the Chinese Coca-Cola ads

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I never stopped using firefox
:same:

Z the IVth posted:

The only decent ISP I have available is Sky and their router doesn't like a Pi-hole :orks:
Can you set it up as just a modem and put your own router behind it? Virgin let you do that and they're famously cagey about their equipment.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bobstar posted:

The whole price cap thing seems like a bizarre red herringy way of talking about energy prices.

It's not a cap on the amount a household can be charged in a year, but some people think it is

It's not a cap against prices going up, only against overcharging relative to wholesale prices (I think?)

It's expressed as a yearly figure, but changes multiple times a year

It represents an "average" household

It doesn't apply to businesses, or to people like my friend who lives in a (shared ownership, flammable cladding) block of flats with shared heating, because she doesn't have a contract with an energy company (the BBC have at least noticed this - love the "government spokesperson" dismissing this is a "small minority")

Similarly I've noticed something similar regarding how energy companies are setting direct debits. A lot of people have smart meters now and can see they've been charged £60-80 for August for energy and are now stunned when the companies are trying to set direct debits to £200 a month etc and theres a mental disconnect because unlike most other bills energy is paid over an estimated 12 month usage and we're in literally the lowest cost month right now. The projections for January alone are around £400 for the average home. There are a lot of people who are cancelling direct debits and paying month by month who are going to get an absolute shafting come November onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mebh posted:

I just can't easily get away from the google ecosystem. I've tried Firefox and brave and i just end up having chrome installed to do various things that fall over in another browser. Then just use chrome for everything. Doesn't help that I have a pixel phone, but the drat thing is Nokia 8210 indestructible and I'm a clutz.

Also having all my passwords stored and able to easily be shared to any device i need is just so goddamn convenient. If worryingly insecure at times.

Yeah it's all stuff i could set up and probably will once the ad blocking goes away, either that or just get a raspberry pi and set up pihole.

One thing i will miss is sponsorblock that youtube vanced comes with optionally. Basically user based tagging that will auto skip sections of videos like intros, sponsored segments, useless guff etc. Really nice quality of life.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. I'm just too latched into the google system to split away easily, I'll have to find a workaround for when this drops.