Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

fuctifino posted:

I just wish that the left were better at platforming people
Therein lies the problem though. The right and occasionally some centrists are allowed to put all the cunts they want on a platform while the media are paid to run interference for them.

Everyone we put up has to be squeakiest cleanest human ever - which turns out doesn't work either because then they aren't ruthless enough AND the media just make poo poo up about them anyway. Bit of a lose-lose situation tbh.

keep punching joe posted:

It occurred to me that the Harry Potter universe is completely devoid of any culture. There are no wizard novels, or plays. There are paintings but they're purely portraiture. The children at school do purely practical work on magic. They do not study languages or literature.

poo poo world for unimaginative cunts.

The next update to the franchise will include Hogwarts creative writing classes, where students produce reams of ficticious Tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

You've seen how she writes Asian and Jewish characters, do you really want the team led by Irish bishop-wizard Paedo O'Drunk?

Oh I'm sure it would have been awful. Ranging from the offensive ("Fr. Drunky McDrunkson") to a different type of offensive (A West Brit posh type who talks about the Empire in glowing terms.)

But I'd have found it hilarious if she went with "Gerry Adams: But with magic!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

xtothez posted:

Everyone we put up has to be squeakiest cleanest human ever - which turns out doesn't work either because then they aren't ruthless enough AND the media just make poo poo up about them anyway. Bit of a lose-lose situation tbh.
It's the classic 'yes, but our guys are supposed to be cunts, and you're supposed to be virtuous' thing.

Anyone who wants to argue for leftist or progressive things has to be absolutely bulletproof or the arrayed forces of right wing evil will gleefully tear them apart for hypocrisy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A small sign of how a British Establishment organisation regards anyone born on the west side of the Irish Sea: at the Bournemouth airshow today, the Typhoon pilot, whose name was O'Hare, had depressingly yet inevitably acquired the nickname "Paddy". Zero effort, like "Your surname starts with 'Mac'? Okay, you're 'Jock' from now on. Jones? Now you're 'Taffy'!"

(I'm from Halifax, and a mate of mine who went to work in London was told in his first week that he'd be called 'Yorkie', whether he liked it or not. And it's not like he was a squaddie - he was an undertaker!)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 3, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeherrin posted:

You mean... apart from the whole 'Lynch and Dempsey should run the country' thing that happened after they were on the television when the first wave of strikes kicked off?

Stopped clocks, and all that. He's not wrong that the working class is getting utterly hosed. But shilling for a Moscow-backed warlord in 2015 suggests an eye-watering lack of judgment or awareness that surely makes one wonder what other blind spots he has, and then it turns out that one of his other blind spots is people of colour, at which point I struggle to see him as anything other than—as fuctifino put it—a oval office.

And call me old-fashioned, but I don't think cunts should be in positions of power.

Call me old fashioned but I think calling the assistant general secretary of a trade union with under 82,000 members a "position of power" is uhhhhhhh stretching the phrase a little.

He's not the Foreign Secretary, what Eddie Dempsey thinks about foreign affairs is Eddie Dempsey's business. Anything else is obfuscation aimed at discrediting the strikes. And anyone doing that can get hosed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The whole thing reminds me a lot of Erica Lagalisse's idea of Good Politics. Good Politics is like Good Taste or Good Housekeeping, it's not 'good' in the sense of being right or even useful, it's Good in the sense that if you were Keeping Up Appearances you'd be comfortable leaving it out in the front room while your middle class neighbours were round talking about wallpaper patterns.

It's the standard that gets you

xtothez posted:

occasionally some centrists are allowed to put all the cunts they want on a platform while the media are paid to run interference for them.
by way of e.g. unrepentant conspiracy homophobe Tim Farron still being asked to appear in public to opine his lovely economic takes while never being called out for claiming that wimmens birth pill hormones going in the water is what's causing the Big Gay. And he still gets to be shown as one of the reasonable centrists.

Because he has the Good Politics. Boris Johnson inherited some Good Politics by class and connection despite being a oval office's idea of a oval office. Jacob Rees-Mogg is the husband sleeping in the corner of a Country Living Magazine spread so gets some Good Politics by default. Eddie Dempsey is a worse Tommeh Robinson even when he writes an essay showing otherwise because he doesn't do the Good Politics.

He may definitely be wrong for other reasons, but that's the reason why the press have decided he's wrong.

The Question IRL posted:

But I'd have found it hilarious if she went with "Gerry Adams: But with magic!"
Caimh McDonnell may be the author you're looking for if you want occult magic, political wrangling, and a bitter ex-guard turned GAA coach who resolves situations by way of big wooden flying sticks and stereotypes.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah, anybody ruthless enough to become a figurehead and actually achieve anything against the reins of power in this country will have some poo poo skeletons in their closet. If the stars align and that doesn't happen the media will just make poo poo up anyway.

It's not a tough call honestly. He's a complete poo poo based on the things I've seen. However he's not his organisation. I support the movement but honestly don't give two fucks about the person in all the interviews on telly. I hope they vote him out or he steps down and they just carry on because the message is bang on.

The left infighting over ideological purity is only so poo poo because we drag it loving on and on. Boot him and move on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

Yeah, anybody ruthless enough to become a figurehead and actually achieve anything against the reins of power in this country will have some poo poo skeletons in their closet. If the stars align and that doesn't happen the media will just make poo poo up anyway.

It's not a tough call honestly. He's a complete poo poo based on the things I've seen. However he's not his organisation. I support the movement but honestly don't give two fucks about the person in all the interviews on telly. I hope they vote him out or he steps down and they just carry on because the message is bang on.

The left infighting over ideological purity is only so poo poo because we drag it loving on and on. Boot him and move on.

They won't boot him because he's good at his job.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wow just watching this Portillo Hidden History episode about the surgeon who pioneered facial reconstruction surgery on returning soldiers from WW1 and how he went on to carry out the first two gender reassignment surgeries.

In 1946 he carried out, along with a colleague, the first sex change surgery in history (as far as we know - my comment).
Laura Maud Dillon became Michael Dillon. And then in 1951 Robert Cowell became Roberta Cowell.

(Graphic images of severely damaged faces).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69g3fGCMgxE

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

In some sense the left needs more bastards - just the right kind of bastards, I guess. If he's good at his job and him being in his position is not causing impediments or injustice against those below him then it's probably a good thing he's in the position despite lovely views he holds...

But if people (particularly vulnerable minorities) within his organisation are saying that him being in his position *is* furthering injustice/inequality etc., acting from a position of good faith, they should be listened to.

Working out who's acting in good faith isn't always straightforward, and the person in a high-up position may genuinely be fantastic at the most important aspects of their job (in this case advocating for the interests of the workers) and it's all just tricky as gently caress. Also it's more of an issue the more somebody in such a position holds actual, abusable power over the people "below" them. You'd *like* to think that a union is going to be one of the most robustly democratic institutions we have left and so there should be strong safeguards against abusing what power but I know that's certainly not true of all unions.

I'd say the best path lays *somewhere* in between "give him a pass for being a nazi because he's good on the telly" and "anybody who has ever had an impure thought in their head should be excluded from daily life and sent to the gulag" but figuring out exactly where the line is, is not easy.

One thing's for sure though, we don't need to listen to Liberal dickheads like Femi and Supertanskiii about this, or anything else. They can get in the loving sea, now and forever.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You're all forgetting the Irish friend of Potters who had the most irish name ever, Seamus Finnigan.
You couldn't make it more irish without adding an O' or Mc to it.
The one who wasn't a full pure blood wizard either, was a filthy half mudblood.
And who kept blowing things up, ho ho ho.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Please, Seamus was a complex nuanced character with two character traits actually. Blowing things up *and* trying to procure alcohol.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Payndz posted:

A small sign of how a British Establishment organisation regards anyone born on the west side of the Irish Sea: at the Bournemouth airshow today, the Typhoon pilot, whose name was O'Hare, had depressingly yet inevitably acquired the nickname "Paddy". Zero effort, like "Your surname starts with 'Mac'? Okay, you're 'Jock' from now on. Jones? Now you're 'Taffy'!"

(I'm from Halifax, and a mate of mine who went to work in London was told in his first week that he'd be called 'Yorkie', whether he liked it or not. And it's not like he was a squaddie - he was an undertaker!)

A flying dude called O'Hare and they went with Paddy instead of Chicago

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Potter fans get really mad when you remind them that the final battle between good and evil is about whether you should be polite to your slaves or not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Potter fans get really mad when you remind them that the final battle between good and evil is about whether you should be polite to your slaves or not.

I got recommended a thread on the Harry Potter subreddit the other day that was just 100% people saying they don't see how the goblins could possibly be seen as an anti-semetic trope. The common line of thought being that if you see a connection between hook nosed, gold obsessed bankers and Jewish people it is in fact you who are anti-semitic. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just like how the real racists were the ones pointing out that Asian Witch Cho Chang is a bollocks name that could only be thought up by someone who has never spoken to anyone East of the Urals about anything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I was in the same school with the actor who played Seamus Finnegan in the Harry Potter films. (I was in 5th year and he was in 2nd year) so he had only been in one or two Harry Potter films at the time.

Seemed like a normal kid from what I remember of him in the morning assembly. He probably also wanted to procure alchol and watch things blow things up, like most kids in my school.

Nicknames: My friend told me one of the best nickname stories ever.
One of the guys he went to school with was called Wayne. But in the middle of the school year it was discovered that his middle name was Bruce. Don't know what his surname was but it's not important.
So since his name was Wayne Bruce, his nickname was Manbat*.

On the flip side one of the most (collar tugs) nickname was given to an East Asian kid who used to play as a goalie in football. So he was nicknamed Packie after famed Irish goalkeeper Packie Bonner.
Still it was an awful look hearing this kid get called Packie on and off the football pitch.

*= I would have voted it the best nickname ever if his name contained Kirk or Langstrom.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 4, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

In some sense the left needs more bastards - just the right kind of bastards, I guess.

The left needs people who're enough of a bastard to either keep the centrist cunts in line or get rid of them if they can't play along.
Part of me thinks there's also an element of being able to ignore the media, but the problem is that unless everyone you're relying to work with you or vote for you is also able to ignore the media, that doesn't get you very far.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The best thing about the HP films is Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood) who is now a pro-tier shitposter on left Twitter.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anybody in this thread been to Exeter university? Is it any good? I have a nephew starting there this year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stev posted:

I got recommended a thread on the Harry Potter subreddit the other day that was just 100% people saying they don't see how the goblins could possibly be seen as an anti-semetic trope. The common line of thought being that if you see a connection between hook nosed, gold obsessed bankers and Jewish people it is in fact you who are anti-semitic. :colbert:

I think you'll find it wasn't JK ho made the goblins hook nosed bankers it was in fact Warner Bros when they made the films and they certainly didnt refer to anything written in any of the books about what they look like and furthermore etc etc.

They have an answer for everything.

In lighter news I did enjoy this:

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1566349321750171648

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Corbyn Bros, Peas and Jerome, made the goblins racist by looking at them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

In some sense the left needs more bastards - just the right kind of bastards, I guess. If he's good at his job and him being in his position is not causing impediments or injustice against those below him then it's probably a good thing he's in the position despite lovely views he holds...

But if people (particularly vulnerable minorities) within his organisation are saying that him being in his position *is* furthering injustice/inequality etc., acting from a position of good faith, they should be listened to.

Working out who's acting in good faith isn't always straightforward, and the person in a high-up position may genuinely be fantastic at the most important aspects of their job (in this case advocating for the interests of the workers) and it's all just tricky as gently caress. Also it's more of an issue the more somebody in such a position holds actual, abusable power over the people "below" them. You'd *like* to think that a union is going to be one of the most robustly democratic institutions we have left and so there should be strong safeguards against abusing what power but I know that's certainly not true of all unions.

I'd say the best path lays *somewhere* in between "give him a pass for being a nazi because he's good on the telly" and "anybody who has ever had an impure thought in their head should be excluded from daily life and sent to the gulag" but figuring out exactly where the line is, is not easy.

One thing's for sure though, we don't need to listen to Liberal dickheads like Femi and Supertanskiii about this, or anything else. They can get in the loving sea, now and forever.

If Blair gets a pass from the media in general for siding with Putin against Muslims (both by saying we should ignore Crimea in 2014 because we need Putin as an ally against ~Radical Islam~ and by arming Russia against the Chechens in 2000) then Dempsey should get a pass for dodgy connections fighting fascists.

Incredibly, though, it seems that being tarred by association only happens on the left? I'm shocked.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

There was a special episode of HIGNFY which was saying “goodbye” to Boris Johnson and apparently laid into him a lot. I couldn’t see it because I’m on holiday (and I wouldn’t watch that poo poo anyway) - I already know the answer to this but does anyone know if there was even an iota of self-awareness from them in their huge part of his rise in politics?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

If Blair gets a pass from the media in general for siding with Putin against Muslims (both by saying we should ignore Crimea in 2014 because we need Putin as an ally against ~Radical Islam~ and by arming Russia against the Chechens in 2000) then Dempsey should get a pass for dodgy connections fighting fascists.

Incredibly, though, it seems that being tarred by association only happens on the left? I'm shocked.

It was more about stuff like internal racism in the RMT, which he's historically been lousy at dealing with (and has sometimes worked to perpetuate) according to the union's own equalities reps, and working to publicly discredit a victim of domestic abuse because the perpetrator was one of his buddies. Not just guilt by association, but personally using his platform to be a bit of a poo poo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

bessantj posted:

Anybody in this thread been to Exeter university? Is it any good? I have a nephew starting there this year.

a couple years ago it was #3 in the UK for 'students most likely to contract an STI'

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

kecske posted:

a couple years ago it was #3 in the UK for 'students most likely to contract an STI'

The Times league tables are really coming up with some interesting categories these days.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It was more about stuff like internal racism in the RMT, which he's historically been lousy at dealing with (and has sometimes worked to perpetuate) according to the union's own equalities reps, and working to publicly discredit a victim of domestic abuse because the perpetrator was one of his buddies. Not just guilt by association, but personally using his platform to be a bit of a poo poo.

Oof, yeah ok that's not great if true.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bessantj posted:

I have! And my partner and I work there.

PM if you like, I'm at a Thing today so dont really have time to answer properly atm

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

xtothez posted:

This week I swapped from Chrome to Firefox as the former will prevent adblockers from working early next year.

u WOT

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

A flying dude called O'Hare and they went with Paddy instead of Chicago

Or Bucky

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

Well him coming back with an STI would at least be proof that he's had a semblance of a social life so his parents would be happy-ish.

Barry Foster posted:

I have! And my partner and I work there.

PM if you like, I'm at a Thing today so dont really have time to answer properly atm

Thank you very much!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

Well it was good enough for Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi...

And of course thread favourite Joanne Rowling

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 4, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1566349809736466432

From £600,000 a year to £2000
:toot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

From £600,000 a year to £2000
:toot:

Ah, the coveted "reverse energy bill"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Less than ESA

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Meanwhile CO2 costs go up so maybe revise that figure from £2000 to £20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

I've a nephew also starting there this year (though he is enquiring about deferment).
I did have an unconditional offer to study there back in the year dot it was one of only 5 unis at the time with the course I wanted to do.
Most of the girls from school who went were looking for rich farmers to marry.
I think it's ok as unis go. 143rd in the world apparently. Guess it depends what they plan to study.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

When someone on the right turns out to be a oval office (but I repeat myself, I know) they keep them around until they've served their purpose, and use them as ablative armour later.

When someone on the left turns out to be a oval office, they get ejected immediately, rather than when they've started actively sabotaging the cause with their behaviour.

From what I've seen Eddie Dempsey wouldn't have a place in the fully gay luxury space communist utopia we want to create, but we're unlikely to succeed without people willing to fight the dirty fight we need to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The good news is that you don't need to condition the beer separately, it will get lagered while sitting weeks in the Dover truck park.