Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm really pleasantly surprised with this show. I wanted to dislike it, but I find the dialogue actually interesting to listen to and it does feel very Game of Thrones while still being something new.

Agreed. I had zero expectations and just blasted through the first three episodes after hearing that I should give it a go. The writing is miles better than anything after the first season of GoT, and the actors are killing it. It’s a real shame that Milly Alcock isn’t going to be a regular, because she’s amazing. Nice to see that the budget allows for a better sense of scale too with the sets and CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Paddyo posted:

Nice to see that the budget allows for a better sense of scale too with the sets and CGI.

They're using the Volume really well. There's a behind-the-scenes showing how the entire standoff on Dragonstone was filmed on it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah it's completely unrealistic that a global military power with the ability to rain destruction from the skies via something indiscernible from magic would lose to a non-political fighting force in caves and not have a firm strategic goal before going into a protracted campaign.

That's never happened before and I totally understand why everyone is harping on that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah it's completely unrealistic that a global military power with the ability to rain destruction from the skies via something indiscernible from magic would lose to a non-political fighting force in caves and not have a firm strategic goal before going into a protracted campaign.

That's never happened before and I totally understand why everyone is harping on that.

that took 2 decades if you really want to be anal

they also won in the end. i dont think the crab people won this

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 6, 2022

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this is what happens when you adapt the fake histories every fantasy writer loves so much. you get a boring show with bad characters

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mistermojo posted:

this is what happens when you adapt the fake histories every fantasy writer loves so much. you get a boring show with bad characters

you make the choice to torment yourself like this you could legitimately do anything else than watch it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

They're using the Volume really well. There's a behind-the-scenes showing how the entire standoff on Dragonstone was filmed on it.

Dragonstone looked decent, but the sept in the same episode looked nowhere near as good.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Lightningproof posted:

The music that played when Rhaenyra returned to camp owned. That's my big takeaway.

yes, my favorite so far.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I lowered my expectations immensely for this and Rings of Power and have been enjoying them both after doing so

After this episode I think I might prefer this show, but Tolkien’s world is far superior to Martin’s so I’m curious where I’ll stand once both seasons are over

The casting had me worried after the pilot, but everyone has been killing it so far. Especially Paddy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

i knew someone would eventually try to make this comparison despite the fact that one situation is a fantasy tv show with dragons and the other was modern day and also real.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I'm finding myself most compelled by the Viserys/Otto scenes. I love me a slow play/long con.

What is Rhaenys doing while Corlys and her kids are roasting crabs?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CODChimera posted:

i knew someone would eventually try to make this comparison despite the fact that one situation is a fantasy tv show with dragons and the other was modern day and also real.

Yes, except jet fighters are far deadlier than dragons and people were arguing that the fantasy show was unrealistic.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, except jet fighters are far deadlier than dragons and people were arguing that the fantasy show was unrealistic.

what do you think the crab peoples tunnel logistics look like compared to the talibans?

how do they hide in caves and still threaten ships in the channel? this isnt a guerilla force defending their territory

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deptfordx posted:

I'm not at home to check but aren't we already operating on standard fantasy 'Armour is useless'*. Weren't several arrow hits straight through his armour?

* Although it devolved, I really liked the opening seasons of the original GOT for not being that. Where Jorah Mormont completely no-sells a Dothraki blade thanks to his armour in the first season for instance.
They showed Ser Criston Cole wearing a gambeson just before the boar arrived, and showed that it actually functioned as armor without the plates on top. Presumably the combination of plate and gambeson on Daemon made direct hits not hurt that much. Like, it's not a binary issues of arrows bouncing off or going through plate, minimizing the impact is a perfectly fine outcome for armor.

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I'm finding myself most compelled by the Viserys/Otto scenes. I love me a slow play/long con.

What is Rhaenys doing while Corlys and her kids are roasting crabs?
Getting the Maesters to write a medieval dating app.

CODChimera posted:

what do you think the crab peoples tunnel logistics look like compared to the talibans?

how do they hide in caves and still threaten ships in the channel? this isnt a guerilla force defending their territory
Yeah, this is really my biggest issue with the story from a realism perspective. The exact tactical details of a battle scene can obviously heighten a scene, or in egregious cases really undermine it, but the strategic or diplomatic stuff is far more important to me - and being able to threaten sea lanes while under siege kinda needs some explanation. As pointed out earlier, catapults are probably pretty vulnerable to dragon fire. They legit should've had giant crabs that could attack the ships from underneath.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 6, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Maybe Daemon just sucks at using his dragon in a battle.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe we're overthinking it and we should take "Daemon & Co. failed for two years even with the help of dragons" at face value. I mean the terrain looked like poo poo, they probably could have just blockaded the island and let them starve. Maybe he's that big a fuckup. But then he ends the episode finally beaten-down and experienced enough that he's finally willing to die to accomplish a goal and bingo bango the war is over.

I have zero faith in the writers of a flagship show to be so clever but there's this recurring theme so far where people are hesitating to pull the trigger and not many people have real combat experience. Now one faction has the experience and it's depicted in contrast to the king having an opulent birthday bash for his toddler and failing to kill a stag.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

none of this would be an issue if the crab men burrowed in the sand, walked sideways, could breathe underwater etc.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CODChimera posted:

I know neither, but the crab pirates are puppets of a whole nation who had god knows how long to set that place up as a base before this conflict even started. They could very well be insanely well set up down there, and that's assuming that there's not one or more exits in other places.

Do we know it's not a guerilla force defending its own territory? Are we taking that as a given?

And they threaten ships by existing, just like a force holding a castle. If they're still there when the attacker leaves, they just pop back out and go back to raiding shipping. What do you think the point of attacking pirates IS?

(What happened to this being a dumb fantasy show and real life has nothing to do with it.)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, this is really my biggest issue with the story from a realism perspective. The exact tactical details of a battle scene can obviously heighten a scene, or in egregious cases really undermine it, but the strategic or diplomatic stuff is far more important to me - and being able to threaten sea lanes while under siege kinda needs some explanation. As pointed out earlier, catapults are probably pretty vulnerable to dragon fire. They legit should've had giant crabs that could attack the ships from underneath.

someone earlier said jokingly(?) they should shouldve burrowed into the sand like crabs which would help but yeah give them giant crabs and let them live IN the sea. that would make the dragons less effective and make a whole lot more sense.

Xiahou Dun posted:

(What happened to this being a dumb fantasy show and real life has nothing to do with it.)

well you compared it to the war in afghanistan?? just accept that the crab people were dumb, no idea why anyone would want to defend them lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That DICK! posted:

none of this would be an issue if the crab men burrowed in the sand, walked sideways, could breathe underwater etc.

were you the one that suggested this way earlier? yeah that would've been cool

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Yes, sorry, I’m just hot about this crab issue

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Are they filming this in Northern Ireland? Looked familiar before that final battle

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Ugh, I didn't realize they were using that. It worked okay on Mandalorian but Book of Boba Fett and Obi Wan both showed its limitations and/or how mediocre directors can end up using it as a crutch where everything feels really flat and constrained. Hopefully this show avoids that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CODChimera posted:

someone earlier said jokingly(?) they should shouldve burrowed into the sand like crabs which would help but yeah give them giant crabs and let them live IN the sea. that would make the dragons less effective and make a whole lot more sense.

well you compared it to the war in afghanistan?? just accept that the crab people were dumb, no idea why anyone would want to defend them lol

????? I was making fun of the people calling it unrealistic?????

I don't give any amount of shits about the fantasy dragon politics show except as it involves weird politics and dumb wigs, dawg.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Should have shown Crabman ALMOST successfully climb up to the top of the hill to get away only to be dragged back down by his own crabmen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

And they threaten ships by existing, just like a force holding a castle. If they're still there when the attacker leaves, they just pop back out and go back to raiding shipping. What do you think the point of attacking pirates IS?
I feel like the issue is that they threaten ships even when actively besieged. Like, they bring out siege weapons to attack ships which could be burned to cinders by a dragon well before they could be dragged back in again. It'd arguably make more sense if they just didn't include that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like the issue is that they threaten ships even when actively besieged. Like, they bring out siege weapons to attack ships which could be burned to cinders by a dragon well before they could be dragged back in again. It'd arguably make more sense if they just didn't include that.

Yeah that was probably a mistake.

But if we're pointing out flaws, then the critical lack of crab dudes and giant crabs is a much bigger issue. Or at least like make their weapons out of coral or something fun instead of generic pirates.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not impossible that Daemon and the Sea Snake are losing the war. Hasn’t it been said that very few men in Westeros have actual combat experience? Active, savvy pirates presumably know a bit more on that front.

They’d still need to do a lot more to explain how a freaking Dragon isn’t giving them an insurmountable advantage. Maybe something about how Dragons can’t go underwater. Whatever. Thing is they never bothered to even explain it a little bit, and it runs completely against what we know from GoT — that Dragons are a superweapon that require either equal force or specialized tools to defeat.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Vishass posted:

The Harrenhal Screwjob

Nah that would make Viserys Shawn Michaels, and I don't think king goon here can pull that off

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah that was probably a mistake.

But if we're pointing out flaws, then the critical lack of crab dudes and giant crabs is a much bigger issue. Or at least like make their weapons out of coral or something fun instead of generic pirates.
Daemon does his whole attack, the dragon comes in, and finally the Crab Feeder reveals the bigger ruse: The entire island comes to life and a giant pincher pinches the dragon in half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Disguise your ships as islands. Simple as.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Daemon does his whole attack, the dragon comes in, and finally the Crab Feeder reveals the bigger ruse: The entire island comes to life and a giant pincher pinches the dragon in half.

The last shot of the crabfeeder there's intestines or other ropey organs coming out of his torso, and for the most wonderful second I thought they were tentacles. The version of the show I imagined from that point was better than anything we're gonna get. That's right, the real threat to Westeros has been fishmen pirates all along.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Pattonesque posted:

honestly it took me a bit to realize Viserys is this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzV2JdS4QAQ

Even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ylrJ0cH2w

Dead Man's Shoes is hard as gently caress, very pro watch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MrMojok posted:

This show is seriously good and I can’t imagine why anyone would speak against it.

It is known.

We were saying the same thing after 3 episodes of Game of Thrones, too, remember. It's easy enough to start out as a good show when they give you millions of dollars for production, but the tricky part is telling the entire story through to the endgame.

I've been having fun with this too, I just don't want to let myself get hurt again. :ohdear:

I did roll my eyes at like fifty archers failing to hit Daemon for five minutes straight, though. This isn't the Marvel universe where a single man can fight an entire army and storm the castle himself. It was obvious the dragon was going to come kill everyone for him, and it should have happened way earlier imo.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
GoT battle scenes were always bad, the heart of GoT was never the battles

the best battle in GoT was prob Blackwater in S2, mostly because of the Tyrion rally speech was memorable

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
When weird or eyeroll-y stuff like that happens in a show, I'm always curious if it's the writer/director in love with some idea or visual, or if it's some idea that snuck too deep into production to change, or if they just don't realize how goofy it is.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
occam's razor answer is probably that nobody offline gives as much of a poo poo about verisimilitude as forum dwellers

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm having a good time watching this show but watching matt smith get shot at a billion times and shrug off the few couple of shots that actually connected absolutely was an eyeroll moment for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I don't mind that the arrows missed. The plan was basically suicidal and required getting lucky that a bunch of archers really far away would miss a moving target. The fact that it required a lot of luck is why they didn't do it in the first place, with the king's aid driving Daemon to risk it.

If he'd taken the crazy risk and then didn't get the 5% chance to not die the show would be way more boring.

Plus he did get impaled by 3 arrows, maybe it would have been better if he got hit in the leg really early on and then had a bit of a limp as he got lucky later?

I dunno I didn't mind it - it seemed like a super hard shot to hit a moving target like that and there was a big risk of friendly fire so a character taking a risk and having it pay off doesn't stretch my credulity.

The battle had some cool scenes the Valeryans' armor was super cool.