Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If Harry took the throne would he be the first or second of his name? Does Harold Godwinson count?

Numbers are a Norman invention, before that everyone had interesting names like Æthelred the Unready or Edmund Ironside.

e: But Harry is short for Henry, not Harold anyway. Henry Charles Albert David. So he'd be Henry IX or possibly Charles IV, or Albert or David. Or some other poo poo, I think you can do what you want when you're the monarch really.

e2: The real fun would be his kids. King Archie? Queen Lilibet (or Diana?)

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dead Goon posted:

CWU cancelling their strike actions is a bit pathetic, no?

It is, but they had very little choice otherwise if they wanted to keep the strikes popular with the general public, and since I never saw public support for strikes so high I can understand suspending strikes for a day or two even if I don't really like it

PS: queen's dead

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the thing is that usually when someone dies theres a moment of realisation where you go "oh wow, never again will they...[do thing]" but with a person whose main job was to be an abstract concept who carefully refrained from doing anything its hard to pin that down.

Nigel Farage wrote "the queen is dead. God save the king" on twitter and got some flack for it seeming insensitive, although technically from a pure monarchist perspective its intended as a neutral statement of fact and unbroken lineage- Queen dies, is instantly replaced, the two people are supposed to be functionally identical. Its not even indicated to be the end of an era and a new direction like the changing of a politically appointed end of state, its just, the same.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 9, 2022

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The queen, unlike most politicians, has not been actively evil to the population of the UK. She's been born into a rotting edifice of aristocracy, and acted accordingly to those rules and norms while a procession of cunts came and went, at worse being a racist and protective grandma. I'd be much more willing to celebrate the demise of the current government over the queen.

https://twitter.com/Aldanimarki/status/1567861763219116032?t=3KUM9jXVHXfqXFAxK1h2rA&s=19

minema
May 31, 2011
Had to listen to radio 1 this morning to get any actual music, this sucks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Think I'm all joked out on the Queen and that poo poo is boring now, gonna be a long few weeks but at least I'm not in the UK. RIP Bozo

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

DesperateDan posted:

It is, but they had very little choice otherwise if they wanted to keep the strikes popular with the general public, and since I never saw public support for strikes so high I can understand suspending strikes for a day or two even if I don't really like it

PS: queen's dead

It is the absolutely most craven poo poo. And it's not just for a day or two. It will clearly be for weeks at least. No new dates have been announced, that I've seen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OrthoTrot posted:

It is the absolutely most craven poo poo. And it's not just for a day or two. It will clearly be for weeks at least. No new dates have been announced, that I've seen.

Wouldn't they have to reballot or give 2 weeks notice?

Our work event this morning (involving a queen's award) hs been cancelled just got a text. The hours that went in to arranging that organising volunteers, baking cakes (not me, I raised Home Bargains for my contribution). It was supposed to happen a couple of years ago but then COVID.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 9, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

You know she had no say in any of that right? The evils of the empire of the last few centuries has nothing to do with our royal family, we would have done all those atrocities regardless.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
"Diligently served until the end meeting the new PM"

Now I'm positive she popped it days ago. It's all marketing.

When's my loving holiday?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is there any traction in "former anti-royalist Truss meets Queen, who dies two days later" conspiracies yet?

I feel the internet tricksters really should be on this and getting it trending.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ok guess I'm not totally joked out because this was masterful

(It's a reference to this Seamus Heaney poem, which has traumatised generations of Irish school kids)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wouldn't they have to reballot or give 2 weeks notice?

Our work event this morning (involving a queen's award) hs been cancelled just got a text. The hours that went in to arranging that organising volunteers, baking cakes (not me, I raised Home Bargains for my contribution). It was supposed to happen a couple of years ago but then COVID.

2 weeks notice yes because it's within 6 months of the initial ballot,it's not just the cancellation itself but the increased delay before any new action kicks off growing ever wider and conditions in terms of economy, weather and optimism all worsening as time goes on.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Blimey, Radio 6 just stop for gently caress's sake.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Had to turn radio 2 off because they were just playing back to back mournful turgid poo poo.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

You know she had no say in any of that right? The evils of the empire of the last few centuries has nothing to do with our royal family, we would have done all those atrocities regardless.
Yeah all these "she was a horrible colonist" things are ridiculous and are really reaching, they feel exploitative. There are plenty of reasons to not to care about the death of some aristocrat who is given unlimited wealth, pomp and ceremony in our supposedly fair and equal society. The only reason it's hard to be a gungho republican and want to strip the Royals and other aristocrats of all their wealth is the scumbag capitalist vultures who would most assuredly replace them and would be no better, if not decidedly worse.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ok guess I'm not totally joked out because this was masterful

(It's a reference to this Seamus Heaney poem, which has traumatised generations of Irish school kids)

I think the famine road wins for most groan worthy ultimate line in a compulsory school poem tbh

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Where did she get that wealth, pomp and ceremony from?

Every radio report has called him King Charles III, I thought he wasn't going to be King Charles, given the history of King Charles?

King Charles.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

At least we have new Cockney rhyming slang for “turd”

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Dead Goon posted:

Where did she get that wealth, pomp and ceremony from?
We've been a monarchy before, during and after our empire. The empire is not the reason they exist or a product of their existence, it is simply the political system we have and the empire would have occurred regardless.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aipsh posted:

I think the famine road wins for most groan worthy ultimate line in a compulsory school poem tbh

gently caress Eavan Boland, that's some Christmas Cracker poetry

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's ultimately meaningless, but I did feel it was kinda nice that all this focus came down on someone who, to look at her, was the platonic ideal of a sweet little old lady. Just looking at Charles he looks like exactly what he is, an inbred, out of touch aristo oval office who wouldn't even acknowledge you if you were on fire. He can't even pretend he has a sense of duty to his wife, never mind the country.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm hoping Harry and William have a fight over who is going to be the next prince of Wales.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

She could have said other stuff though.
When the Orange Order were demanding to parade down catholic streets all in the name of her, she could have just said 'nah you don't have to do that, be kind to each other'.
She could have done some damage control for NI by saying 'don't be dicks' over the years.

Ebola Dog posted:

Had to turn radio 2 off because they were just playing back to back mournful turgid poo poo.

Dead Goon posted:

Blimey, Radio 6 just stop for gently caress's sake.

Have some MongolianTechno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uMtnH7cABg

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

happyhippy posted:

She could have said other stuff though.
When the Orange Order were demanding to parade down catholic streets all in the name of her, she could have just said 'nah you don't have to do that, be kind to each other'.
She could have done some damage control for NI by saying 'don't be dicks' over the years.

Isn't it part of the whole deal, the monarchy stays out of politics and Westminster stays out of the monarchy? Starmer got a telling off from the speaker when he brought up Prince Philips funeral.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith’s gone dark

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mega Comrade posted:

Actually I think we can say that the evils of the British Empire are directly connected to the British Monarchy? I think it's incredibly easy to say that and really very ridiculous to say otherwise?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

josh04 posted:

Actually I think we can say that the evils of the British Empire are directly connected to the British Monarchy? I think it's incredibly easy to say that and really very ridiculous to say otherwise?

Agreed. British imperialism has always, or at least until very recently, been conducted either directly by the monarchy, or in their name.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I expect there would have been an empire and most or all of its attendant ills without a monarchy, but the fact is it did happen under our monarchy so they are culpable. We don't say Einstein wasn't a clever-clogs because someone else would have figured out e=mc2 sooner or later and we don't let off a drunk driver because there were other drunk people on the roads that day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
has anybody checked on that wee royal superfan man

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If the Queen had come back from Aden demanding that the empire was awful and Aden should be freed, she would have been ignored. And as the British Empire pulled out of Aden, her demands to stay and keep the british army involved to pacify the country would have similarly been ignored. The British Empire was not controlled by the monarchy, and pretending the Queen is the source of that evil is just sparing the politicians and establishment which did perpetuate the Empire.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and also the people whose livings rely on dubonnet

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
she still sucked and it’s cool thst she dead tho

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

Isn't it part of the whole deal, the monarchy stays out of politics and Westminster stays out of the monarchy? Starmer got a telling off from the speaker when he brought up Prince Philips funeral.

Orange order isn't a political party. If she was telling the DUP or such to do poo poo, then sure.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
An angry mob destroyed a chip shop in a remote Highland village last night because the owner said on Facebook that the queen was a lizard. So that was pretty weird.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

First complete day as a subject of King Charles III.

Gonna be honest it will be very interesting to see how things go under him, as someone in this thread alluded to, Liz's reputation as a neutral observer and Nation's Gran was a carefully cultivated propaganda effort, one her children were too arrogant or naïve to adhere to.

Will we see Bigears rise to the occasion? I feel he's probably too late to be the wizened elder statesman, and we know how he's interfered in domestic politics.

What will be interesting is how he is a stringent environmentalist, and his first PM is a former commercial manager for Shell. Bet their meetings will be fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

Numbers are a Norman invention, before that everyone had interesting names like Æthelred the Unready or Edmund Ironside.

e: But Harry is short for Henry, not Harold anyway. Henry Charles Albert David. So he'd be Henry IX or possibly Charles IV, or Albert or David. Or some other poo poo, I think you can do what you want when you're the monarch really.

e2: The real fun would be his kids. King Archie? Queen Lilibet (or Diana?)

I thought Lilibet was being used as a diminutive of Elizabeth while her great-gran was still alive to avoid confusion. But no, it's actually her name. Poor kid.

Anyway: Harry would use one of his own names as a regnal name, but he wouldn't use Albert. It was one of Victoria's wishes after her husband's death that while the name would be kept alive in the family, going forward there would not be a Prince or King Albert. It's why her son Albert Edward became Edward VII, and later his son Albert Victor was always referred to as Eddy. He'd probably use Charles, but we'll hopefully never know. (I say "hopefully" because for it to happen all William's kids would need to die too. William is a bit of a twat, but let's not take it out on them.)

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Bad news lads, going to have to retire my office mug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

(I say "hopefully" because for it to happen all William's kids would need to die too. William is a bit of a twat, but let's not take it out on them.)

Now, now. They could all decide "gently caress this" and renounce their claim to the throne.