Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Want to say GY!BE before seeing GY!BE.
gay yaoi! big erections

e: queenposting has homogenised all the uk threads so now im shitposting in the wrong one :reject:

kecske fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

So which of you asked Lizzie to 'clutch the gulag' in the condolence book I just saw.

Dafuq is that supposed to mean

E: my word

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1569610784606494720?t=zlwEsJV_9CERUbMHqGEDwQ&s=19

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

crispix posted:

and this isn't any particular love of the royals i hope yous understand, it's just the utter contempt i share with them for crowds of the general public

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1569360189387571200

BBC: This is disgraceful and disrespectful during a period of national mourning

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Work just confirmed we're off on Monday :toot:

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
My local foodbank has just announced they are closing on Monday for the funeral.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

She picked a fairly poor date to publish then, wouldn't you say?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

She picked a fairly poor date to publish then, wouldn't you say?

:thejoke:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

KittenCaboodle posted:

My local foodbank has just announced they are closing on Monday for the funeral.

Who knew that closing schools and childcare at short notice would cause many unforseen problems?

Imagine you're dependent on foodbanks and school to feed your children.

Real let them have cake moment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

KittenCaboodle posted:

It's fine, just ask the poors stomachs to be respectful and not be hungry on Monday

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As long as you don't need a GP, surgery, food or public transport on Monday, you'll be fine.

It's what her maj would want have some RESPECT

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

KittenCaboodle posted:

FWIW I've heard that the real reason a lot of foodbanks are closing is because the shops that supply them are closed.

I guess "we're closed because all the shops that supply us are closed" seems more disrespectful than "we're closed out of respect for the Queen"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The Guardian might suck but at least it had the decency to have a little 'hide' button on their big slab of Royal coverage. BBC trying to make me consume that crap.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

This is pretty much a trope as old as time. The Prince of Wales is expected to be a maverick and a rapscallion, it keeps supporters of the establishment's orthodoxy honest by wanting to maintain the current monarch's power base as long as possible, while those with heterodox views cleave to the Prince hoping to find their views favoured in the next reign, encouraging them to wait peacefully for the transition, rather than rebel. Then the Prince becomes King and the experience is transformative, he begins to play the role of King exactly as society expects him to and everyone breathes a sigh of relief and thinks "ah, he's going to be a good King after all".

The cycle is so old it's pretty much the entire plot of Shakespeare's Henriad plays. The cycle has lasted so long because it works, so it should be no surprise that the majority of the public who are apathetically supportive of the monarchy would pivot to "Charles is a good king", because the establishment is now reassuring them that it is so. Think about all the reasons people who aren't specifically republican would have thought Charles would make a bad king and then ask yourself if any of those things actually matter, if you'd actually think about them if the papers weren't telling you to care. Those reasons are soft and unimportant, so they can be easily cast aside. It's not like the Express or the Mail were in the past telling their readership to worry about Charles because monarchy as an institution is a moribund fossil, they were saying stuff like "he's multicultural" or "he talks about climate change a lot" or "his new wife is a scarlet woman", stuff that can be easily reframed or swept under the carpet, which they're doing right now.

Sadly I think republicans who hoped that the transition would cause the scales to fall from peoples eyes because of their dislike of Charles underestimated how non-committal that dislike was.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Mega Comrade posted:

The Guardian might suck but at least it had the decency to have a little 'hide' button on their big slab of Royal coverage. BBC trying to make me consume that crap.

If they could just put a "hide" button for their coverage of trans issues as well that would be nice, make their website a bit less of a cognitohazard

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sassassin posted:

The media spent decades preparing for this they're going to milk it for every hour they possibly can, regardless of how little most people care and however much it hurts their bottom line (Sky cancelling all the football matches people watch because all the TV vans are hearse-chasing).

They assumed everyone was still watching tv... they chose poorly. :shrug:

King Chuck III looks old & tired and he hasn't even been crowned yet, washed out king for a washed out kingdom.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rarity posted:

But what does this thread think of microwave burgers? :thunkher:

Actually quite nice. Rustlers are one of the most unfairly maligned foods, imho.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Angepain posted:

If they could just put a "hide" button for their coverage of trans issues as well that would be nice, make their website a bit less of a cognitohazard

that's the little x in the corner of the tab

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

FWIW I've heard that the real reason a lot of foodbanks are closing is because the shops that supply them are closed.

I guess "we're closed because all the shops that supply us are closed" seems more disrespectful than "we're closed out of respect for the Queen"

Which I guess makes sense along with potential childcare issues. It just boggles the mind that people are literally starving and have to suck it up because one of the richest people in the world died.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

KittenCaboodle posted:

Which I guess makes sense along with potential childcare issues. It just boggles the mind that people are literally starving and have to suck it up because one of the richest people in the world died.

It's like a week away or whatever, I'm sure they can go the day before or after?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can you adblock dead queen news?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Can you adblock dead queen news?

Yes. Just don't go to any (British) news site whatsoever.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I see the cocaine's improving: just got a Youtube ad for Direct Line featuring the Transformers (the Bay ones, not the 80s cartoons you like), soundtracked with Roam by The B52s.

And, later, a 3-minute :psyduck: ad for loving Neom.

And this is just me cycling through some Alvvays videos.

BTW the hotkey to avoid The Guardian is CTRL+W, never fails.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sadly does not work IRL but "adblock IRL for things I don't want to look at" is a more general problem that I would like to see solved.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bad time to be a hen…

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Bad time to be a hen…

He was trying to abscond with the Queens last brood

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apologies for posting Femi, but he's off on one again. See how far you get before you feel the familiar crack-ping of an aneurysm.

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1569389180861530114?t=5POgYwaUcfieVeuHndOWmA&s=19

He has decided that 'liberal' just means 'not racist nice people,' and not the given name of a specifically defined political ideology - which in the context of Dempsey's video absolutely does mean 'idiots who sell out the working class and consistently open the door for fascists.' Essentially the idea that 'liberal' might not mean 'good guy' keeps sliding off his perfectly smooth brain.

It's just hilarious. "I'm being sued again" followed by expanding on and restating an argument based on the misunderstanding of basic political terms that's getting him sued. Yet again, being lectured at by people who are holding the book upside down.

Do not watch the last 40 seconds or so from 9:20, it's actually infuriating how little someone with this public a platform understands. "It requires us to work together" is classic liberal bullshit meaning 'but on our terms, of course.'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Yes. Just don't go to any (British) news site whatsoever.
Or word filter “The Queen” to any person or concept you would like to imagine is having a highly publicised tearful sendoff

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's like a week away or whatever, I'm sure they can go the day before or after?

Sorry, I should have clarified that they open on Mondays and Fridays and give out 3 day packages :smith: No alternative arrangements in place (so far. Hopefully some will transpire).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

Or word filter “The Queen” to any person or concept you would like to imagine is having a highly publicised tearful sendoff

"Normal Island"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Work just confirmed we're off on Monday :toot:

lol my work have said it’s BAU and also we’re not getting any of the usual BH working benefits like BH pay or a day in lieu because :shrug:

Queen died so what

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

M_P_R posted:

The death of Diana in 1997 caused a similar level of hysteria but it seemed more of a ground swell of genuine public emotion (she was young, and died in an accident so more of a shock etc etc).
The death of Diana also affected people outside the UK/Commonwealth, which to me would indicate a much greater level of genuine public emotion, since it was hardly state sponsored like it is for the Queen. Based on my experience at the time, the level of reaction to her death was about the level of 9/11 here in Denmark. Obviously 9/11 hysteria was not allowed to die out, but the reaction people had in the immediate aftermath was quite similar.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What was the timeline for the Queen heading up to Balmoral and the news reports that Truss was planning to push Scottish referendum turnout to require 60%+ or whatever?

I have a sneaking suspicion that she got diagnosed with "you'll be dead in weeks" syndrome, which prompted them to run a poll on Scottish independence intent if Chucky was king.

They didn't like the answers they got back (due to Scotland really not caring about the monarchy and only tolerating it because of the consistent status quo of [The Queen]) which then prompted the intent to change the rules, the Queen coming up here and starting the song and dance over the last few days to drum up the appearance of Scotland giving a flying gently caress.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apologies for posting Femi, but he's off on one again. See how far you get before you feel the familiar crack-ping of an aneurysm.

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1569389180861530114?t=5POgYwaUcfieVeuHndOWmA&s=19

He has decided that 'liberal' just means 'not racist nice people,' and not the given name of a specifically defined political ideology - which in the context of Dempsey's video absolutely does mean 'idiots who sell out the working class and consistently open the door for fascists.' Essentially the idea that 'liberal' might not mean 'good guy' keeps sliding off his perfectly smooth brain.

It's just hilarious. "I'm being sued again" followed by expanding on and restating an argument based on the misunderstanding of basic political terms that's getting him sued. Yet again, being lectured at by people who are holding the book upside down.

Do not watch the last 40 seconds or so from 9:20, it's actually infuriating how little someone with this public a platform understands. "It requires us to work together" is classic liberal bullshit meaning 'but on our terms, of course.'

Thank you for your service, I really didn't want to have to watch that as twitter has worked out this whole sorry affair gets me aroused (this is the actual technical term).

Someone in the replies posted the article I posted so I feel cool.

Still think that Dempsey should be focusing more on RMT than EiE.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1569581203245748229

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Do we think Job Centres will be closed on Monday?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Do we think Job Centres will be closed on Monday?
Fully expect them to close and not tell anyone, so a bunch of people will turn up for their appointment, find it's closed, and then get a letter through telling them they've been sanctioned for not turning up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Almost definitely closed. Pretty sure it's a blanket civil service order to treat as regular bank holiday

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/1569646808389021696

nyt not wasting any time, you love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kliras posted:

https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/1569646808389021696

nyt not wasting any time, you love to see it

"Britain has a king again, we can be critical of the empire!"