Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilHawk posted:

I cannot get into the head of anyone who voluntarily stands in an hour long queue to look at a box
Good news! The queue is not an hour long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Drinkslinger posted:

My worst queue was three hours to get tickets for a Biffy Clyro show.

It turned out to be only a 45-minute show with no support

:negative:

That sucks.

(come see my Biffy tribute sometime, we do two hours usually including plenty of the old (good) stuff)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

darkwasthenight posted:

There's no way she's in the box. Imagine somebody manages to get a lucky start, dodge past the funny hat men to knock the coffin over, and she comes flailing out live (dead) on the Beeb. Not happening. She's not in the box. It's a bunch of used horse tack and Andrew's old hard drives for ballast.

Yeah. No doubt there are some insane conspiracies about it (I haven't looked, I just assume), but that just seems like a reasonable precaution. Although I assume the stream is on a monitored delay in case someone says something untoward in their 5 seconds in front of the casket anyway.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

EvilHawk posted:

Watching 5 minutes of the Liz box live stream is honestly loving fascinating nonsense.

It's hypnotic. Someone will have an "ASMR Queue for the Queen (inaudible whispering and respectful sobbing sounds)" youtube by the end of the week. Except not the bit where they change the guards every 20 minutes. Everyone in the queue looks OK considering they've been standing outside for 24+ hours and none of them have brought a jacket.

When I was a little girl* I thought the Coldstream Guards had to stand still on guard duty for a whole day, like 9-5, except maybe for a lunch break where they could scratch their nose and take the heavy hat off for a bit. It used to worry me that they were really uncomfortable, and whether they'd lose their job if they sneezed or something.

And by 'little girl' I mean until I was about 19 or 20.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

we had shots of vodka handed out on trays on the door in to my Glaswegian grandad's funeral reception

then we discovered our entire branch of the family have the wrong surname cos he did a fraud to claim redundancy from the shipyards twice so just changed his name

Your granda was cooler than I'd expect for someone related to you.

Rarity posted:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/...5UdtHB-7DUKrm2A

How dare you not spend your 30 hours queuing in miserable suffering YOU loving PLEB :byodame:

IMO you shouldn't be allowed to eat doughnuts ever again if you queue for 30 hours to walk past a wooden box with a dead old woman in it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

They're trying to paint the whole thing as a big family funeral for the nan of the nation but then they get mad when there's singing and a big deal about snacks. Can't have it both ways.

Want to see the First Sea Lord start a fight over some ham sandwiches while sniffing back tears and poking someone in the chest repeatedly.

SHE ALWAYS SAID SHE'D LEAVE THAT FACKIN TEAPOT TO ME!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN, LOOK AT THAT LOT, HOLDING OUT THEIR MOBILE-TELEPHONES LIKE APES!!!!

THEY SHOULD BE BOWING RESPECTFULLY NORMAN, THEY HAVE NO MANNERS, THEY DON'T KNOW THEIR PLACE, NORMAN!!

LOOK AT THOSE WOMEN, NOW, NORMAN, NOT ONE OF THEM WEARING BLACK!!! THAT ONE IS WEARING A T-SHIRT NORMAN!

THAT LOT ALWAYS WEAR BLACK NORMAN, SHE DOESN'T COUNT, DON'T BE SO IMPERTIENT!!!!!!!!!!

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
In news that should actually matter...

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1567827195149651969

...replacing one unaffordable increase with another unaffordable increase, not "saving" anything.

Meanwhile the EU is looking to get back €140 billion (likely more, as member states can set their own lower thresholds) in windfall profits taxes.

And since Princess Buffy isn't looking to do windfall taxes because profits aren't evil, we'll be funding this as the energy companies claw it back.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
and what about businesses? Like not even high street ones but the ones people have mentioned here that underpin everything we take for granted? useless cunts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I read in the big book of our islands stories and we are a nation of shopkeepers, so there's always going to be shopkeepers who can come out and run all the shops when we get through this as an island with our stories. That is a very positive picture.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol wrong thread. anyway look out for me on the coffin webcam

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1569798117436051457

I have four of these buggers, do I just stop feeding them, it's what lizzy would want right?

Post pics of the piggies, we'll advise the best course of action.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1569798117436051457

I have four of these buggers, do I just stop feeding them, it's what lizzy would want right?

they look a bit like tiny corgis so they should be acceptable

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so this footage on the bbc of the coffin watchers is still live. 1am, still people walking past

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Was crossing Waterloo bridge and the coffin queue was already 8-12 deep and stretching well down toward Blackfriars.

Fuckin' weirdos.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so this footage on the bbc of the coffin watchers is still live. 1am, still people walking past

Just had a look, riveting stuff. This is worth the license fee by itself.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

big scary monsters posted:

Just had a look, riveting stuff. This is worth the license fee by itself.

She took one with her.

https://twitter.com/fluffyscarsdale/status/1570234218709680130?s=46&t=nhCFiLU1n80iB5ZwbJ44aA

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Best bit of the night.

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.royal.uk/send-message-condolence

quote:

Please send your message of condolence using this form
A selection of messages will be passed onto members of the Royal Family, and may be held in the Royal Archives for posterity.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m going to the Roald Dahl museum this weekend. Apparently, the extra stuff they had planned for Roald Dahl Story Day (13th of September) is too disrespectful, but all the other live stuff they do is fine? Maybe they’ll block the bit of the museum where the Queen has the BFG round for breakfast…

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Out of respect for the royal family they'll double down on the bits where he said Hitler had a good point about the Jews.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Okay but philip schofield is gay

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

we had shots of vodka handed out on trays on the door in to my Glaswegian grandad's funeral reception

then we discovered our entire branch of the family have the wrong surname cos he did a fraud to claim redundancy from the shipyards twice so just changed his name

My family ended up with a similar but incorrect surname after a drunk doctor (in the 1920's) spelt my fathers surname wrong.

My father never bothered to change it during the war but my brother got the correct surname when he was born; this then caused a paperwork mess in the hospital so the rest of us got the incorrect surname to save the hassle.

Dad finally changed his name before he died, bit loving late for the rest of us though. lol

My incorrect name is easier for people to spell so i'm happy to leave it as is and i've got no kids anyway. :shrug:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The extra bits are cancelled for a whole year! Must have been very disrespectful.

Oh it's just one day? That they've cancelled this year? Bit of a shame. I guess?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm surprised my town's steampunk festival hasn't been cancelled yet. Fingers crossed the clockwork golem queen doesn't set anyone off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

Okay but philip schofield is gay

While this is true I'm curious what prompted you to post it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

While this is true I'm curious what prompted you to post it?

Do not look for reasons. For you will find only madness.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

My family ended up with a similar but incorrect surname after a drunk doctor (in the 1920's) spelt my fathers surname wrong.

Was watching a YT video where spelling wasn't that great back in the day for a lot of people including those making records like marriages and births.
Its why researching your ancestry is harder in Ireland and such, as they were more fluid with spelling.
So much the video said there was 5 family members who had 5 different spellings of the same last name.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Is...is this a necessary information resource?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

Good news! The queue is not an hour long!

Just reading the news this morning with someone who'd entered the queue at 11pm and finally saw the coffin at 7am.

I live in London, I could be in the queue within the hour if I really wanted to, but, err, why?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The funniest take I've heard on the whole ancestry thing is that by great cultural effort a certain section of society has managed to turn their origin story into admin work.

Nowadays of course you can also turn it into lab work. And then things get very interesting when the two stories don't quite match.

:hmmyes:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Is...is this a necessary information resource?

Only if you want to fill out your Panini Sticker Album.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it an open casket?

Feel pretty ripped off if I queued for 30 hours and didn't get to see the body.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, it's a flag over a box.

You can blue peter yourself one at home with a flag and a box.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Should've just taxidermied her like Jeremy Bentham and kept her as forever queen.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh it's just one day? That they've cancelled this year? Bit of a shame. I guess?

Yes? Me and my kids are perfectly capable of having a nice day out celebrating books that they love without it impacting anyone else, I find it incredibly frustrating that they’ve done this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think they should have arranged the coffin viewing thing as a roundabout rather than like a dual carriageway. Then they could have had multiple queues off in all directions of london rather than just one big one.

Scientastic posted:

Yes? Me and my kids are perfectly capable of having a nice day out celebrating books that they love without it impacting anyone else, I find it incredibly frustrating that they’ve done this.

As in I mean they havent cancelled something for an entire year, theyve cancelled a one a year day event. Which might be bad for those like you who miss out, its more understandable than pulling an entire years worth of events.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think they should have arranged the coffin viewing thing as a roundabout rather than like a dual carriageway. Then they could have had multiple queues off in all directions of london rather than just one big one.

That would lead to a much higher chance of Mecca-style tramplings. So yes, agreed.

Of course, The S*n would blame the commoners

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Is it an open casket?

Feel pretty ripped off if I queued for 30 hours and didn't get to see the body.

They shot her in the face like Joe Pesci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Was watching a YT video where spelling wasn't that great back in the day for a lot of people including those making records like marriages and births.
Its why researching your ancestry is harder in Ireland and such, as they were more fluid with spelling.
So much the video said there was 5 family members who had 5 different spellings of the same last name.

Why am i not surprised, N.I. didn't get their best for countryside practices, especially pre NHS. :ughh: