Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Now see those sprites are blending with the backgrounds they're on and the special effects they're throwing out a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

why is no one talking about the text boxes those are really ugly

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Eiyuden looks so much better than any of Square's HD-2D things, can't wait for it to come out in a year and get way too many Octopath comparisons anyway

I wasn't expecting voice acting. Probably shouldn't assume there will be an English dub, but who knows

Little Abigail posted:

I literally played Suikoden 2 so much as a kid I wore groves into the disk so it looking just slightly better but with an improved translation and a few modern features like turbo is more then enough to sell me on it already.

Honestly though, any one of those things by themselves would have sold me on it. It was legitimately my favorite game as a child so I am super easy to please in this one case.

Yeah, this is where I'm at with it, too. Some elements of the new visuals might bug me a bit, some things like menu windows and fonts might get modded on the Steam version like people did with all those Final Fantasy rereleases, whatever the case, just getting a fresh official translation after all this time is gonna get me in the door, even if it means losing some of that janky 1990s charm

If you told me yesterday that we'd get anything out of Konami this year except maybe a bad Bloober Team remake of Silent Hill 2, let alone anything Suikoden, I never would've believed it. Wild.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I know it's their job to hype up the game, but stuff like "a true JRPG from the good old days" and "are you ready for a new masterpiece?" really rub me the wrong way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It would be really funny if it's bad tho

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you're all welcome.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Little Abigail posted:

I literally played Suikoden 2 so much as a kid I wore groves into the disk so it looking just slightly better but with an improved translation and a few modern features like turbo is more then enough to sell me on it already.

Honestly though, any one of those things by themselves would have sold me on it. It was legitimately my favorite game as a child so I am super easy to please in this one case.
Hell, I just played through S2 earlier this year and this announcement's got me hyped to go through it again. I've owned S1 since like 1997 and played through it at least twice, though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I absolutely love Suikdoen 1 and 2. Hell, Suikoden 1 is what convinced me to get a PS1 when I played it at my cousins's house, even if I never got a physical copy until years later. When I found it at a gamestop, but didn't have the cash, so I hid it behind used copies of Pac-Man World and came back to get it later.

I do kind of wish they'd at least touch up the S1 sprites to match the quality of the S2 ones though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Looks like Suikoden is getting the Romancing SaGa 2 Remaster treatment, which is a style I like. The overall effect works much better with Suikoden 2 because that's already the vibe 2 had going for it though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Suikoden 1&2 remaster hell yeah. :neckbeard:

I hope the remaster re-adds some of the fun bugs like the Matilda gate glitch, though I suppose PC modding means it could be back one way or another. Hopefully they don't mess with the xp formula to block things like letting Jowy solo a fight in the ruins to go from level 12(?) to 30+ in one battle. Exploiting Suikoden's xp curve is one of the best parts.

UI needs some further work too because it looks really rough but otherwise good times. Someome will make PC mods that replace it with the original PSX UI or whatever too.

Testekill posted:

2 in particular has a rough translation at points and quite a few bugs so them going over the script is great. The areas in the trailer look great but the sprites do clash a bit, hopefully it won't be as noticeable once you're sitting down playing. Honestly as long as Konami sticks the landing it should be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyjeaDBgl4

Will say that the new UI isn't great, reminds me of the lovely Final Fantasy android UIs.

Sounds like they're using the original music and not remastering it, which is good because Suikoden II had some banger tracks, like gothic Neclord.

Endorph posted:

iirc its a glitch in suikoden 2 where if you go to a late game town as soon as possible in the english version, everyone is glitched out and spits out garbled japanese

Also if you get Futch and Humphrey via the gate glitch you can:
1. Softlock your game if you don't finish their quest before progressing the main game.
2. Take Futch to the academy as a student and when he speaks its garbled text because you shouldn't have him yet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope they will someday put out suikoden 3-5 on Steam even if it's just using pcsx2 w/ overclocking to fix the janky framerates or something. they stopped at 4 on PSN -_-

when will 5 have its time...

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Suikoden 5 was really well received at the time, at least on this forum. Most peoples' only complaint was that the intro sections were a bit long. In contrast, the best compliment 4 got was that the spinoff tactics game was pretty good.

Looking forward to finally seeing the back half of Rockaxe and hopefully being able to get Recipe 34 for Hai Yo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont think pcsx2 is allowed for commercial use cause i cant actually think of a single official pc release of an old ps2 game that wasn't a full port

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

From like 10 pages ago but I only just really caught up, but man there's a lot of cool RPGs coming out in the next year

I'm pretty interested in that loop8 game, the times Gunparade March came up in the thread they sounded like extremely my jam, so a modern take on that is something I gotta try

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Suikoden 5's opening isn't even that long compared to modern jrpgs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Delsaber posted:

Eiyuden looks so much better than any of Square's HD-2D things, can't wait for it to come out in a year and get way too many Octopath comparisons anyway

I wasn't expecting voice acting. Probably shouldn't assume there will be an English dub, but who knows

The spinoff Rising has a dub so I suspect the full game will.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd like to see how they'd handle a theoretical Suikoden 3 remaster since I think that one's aged the most awkwardly. A lot of JRPGs from the era did not handle the 3D transition well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hell yes Suikoden's not dead!!!!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
One thing that'll be interesting to see is if the Suikoden remasters add anything, such as the normal runes that were added in later Suikoden games like the Rune of Condemnation, multi-strike rune, or the weapon boosting runes in 5.

Tae posted:

Suikoden 5's opening isn't even that long compared to modern jrpgs.

It's also a weird complaint because there is a lot of stuff happening in the opening and early segment of the game. Suikoden 5 is long and those first couple hours help make sense of the next couple dozen.

exquisite tea posted:

I'd like to see how they'd handle a theoretical Suikoden 3 remaster since I think that one's aged the most awkwardly. A lot of JRPGs from the era did not handle the 3D transition well.

Probably try to upres the models and call it a day, like a bunch of games (including the Symphonia remake) seem to do.

Suikoden 3's battle system is pretty bad though and if it gets a remaster I hope they get rid of the pairing system entirely. Let me properly control my party. :argh:

Fister Roboto posted:

Hell yes Suikoden's not dead!!!!

:hfive:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1570814574055804930?t=Rahjgnh3zWpFpoDTvsOsOQ&s=19

Sounds like 6 is on the cards if the remaster does well.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest flaw in Suikoden 5 was the loading times for random battles, honestly even the relatively slow start does a lot of work to establish the current status quo so it can be uprooted later.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Suikoden 5's biggest flaw was forcing you to wear that stupid outfit for 80% of the game and not letting you change in to literally any of your other outfits at will. His travel clothes looked far, far better.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
It's too bad the new remasters won't come with HD "US Box Art"

I still have no idea who those characters are supposed to be. Is that Luc in the upper right???

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ming the Merciless looming ominously over the shoulder of our hero, Buff Dan Akroyd.

That cover drew me in as a young’en and man I was dumb as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephrite posted:

I still have no idea who those characters are supposed to be. Is that Luc in the upper right???

Apparently that got answered some time ago:
Barbarosa, Ted, Windy, Luc, Leknaat, and Tir on the dragon. The monster is from Neclord's Castle.

No I don't know why Ted is a beefy shirtless hunk

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ted looks like dan aykroyd after being stung by a bunch of bees

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently that got answered some time ago:
Barbarosa, Ted, Windy, Luc, Leknaat, and Tir on the dragon. The monster is from Neclord's Castle.

No I don't know why Ted is a beefy shirtless hunk

it's Futch on the dragon, not Tir

e: the Demon Sorcerer is the weirdest inclusion. of all the enemies, why that one

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Skulls look cool

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bussamove posted:

Ming the Merciless looming ominously over the shoulder of our hero, Buff Dan Akroyd.

the fact that someone else said this got me to looking and, lol:

95% confidence interval that this is the promo shot used for reference, since it's even got the lip curl

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

also thank the lord for the awful box art because it is what compelled me to originally rent it at blockbuster and began my lifelong love of suikoden

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I am actually wondering if that top right one isn't a "referenced" Kyle Maclachlan as a result of this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite exmaple of this is the nes contra boxart that was literally just schwarzenegger and stallone fighting an Alien

which tbf is also an accurate depiction of what happens in contra so it has that over the suikoden box

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

I am actually wondering if that top right one isn't a "referenced" Kyle Maclachlan as a result of this.

highly likely given the jaw shape and distinctive dune hairstyle, though i'd have to dig through more dune promo shots than i'd care for to find an exact match

Endorph posted:

my favorite exmaple of this is the nes contra boxart that was literally just schwarzenegger and stallone fighting an Alien

which tbf is also an accurate depiction of what happens in contra so it has that over the suikoden box

don't forget the other classic example of kyle reese preparing to infiltrate outer heaven

i have to wonder if the standards for likeness lawsuits changed over time because this is the kind of stuff that would absolutely get you dinged in a court in 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really it was probably just video games were seen as so lowrent in the 80s/early 90s that nobody cared, it would be like starting up a legal case against a guy selling I *HEART* NEW YORK t-shirts out of the back of his van.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nephrite posted:

I think that's Bill Pullman

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Endorph posted:

really it was probably just video games were seen as so lowrent in the 80s/early 90s that nobody cared, it would be like starting up a legal case against a guy selling I *HEART* NEW YORK t-shirts out of the back of his van.

That and nobody had any idea how lucrative licensing likenesses was going to become in general back then except maybe George Lucas.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Endorph posted:

Most likely this. It wasn't until the PS3 era that videogames were seen as anything other than mindless garbage for children.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

also thank the lord for the awful box art because it is what compelled me to originally rent it at blockbuster and began my lifelong love of suikoden

Same and then I bought it for like $5 during one of the semi-regular inventory clear-out sales the rental place would do.

The middle left is also Pahn, I don't care if the artist said it's Ted. It is 100% Pahn (with a bow instead of a headband).

Encountering that random enemy and realizing it was the same as the one on the box art was very confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
It'd be nice to play Suikoden II without the stupid recipe glitch. I also really hope they remove the time limit from Clyde's side quest.

:blastu: