Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Huh. They hosed with the core mathematics of PbtA. It's kind of interesting how rarely that's done.

How so? I don't see anything on the page, but also I think that page and video do a really poor job of conveying what the game is about beyond a vague concept. A team of 50 people for a book like that seems pretty dang excessive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bottom Liner posted:

How so? I don't see anything on the page, but also I think that page and video do a really poor job of conveying what the game is about beyond a vague concept. A team of 50 people for a book like that seems pretty dang excessive too.

Before you roll, you declare how many Darkness points (basically, your monstrous mojo, acquired in a variety of ways) you want to spend to add +1 to the roll each, up to +3.

Then you roll 2d6 flat; there are no attributes. 7 or lower is a miss. 8-10 is a full success. 11+ is a disastrous success, the equivalent of a partial success in more PbtA games. So you're trying to hit a sweet spot, instead of rolling high.

Also, after the roll, you can use a player Bond to add 1 or subtract 1 from a roll.

Progression is totally flat; there is no way other than spending darkness points to get better at rolls, as far as I can see. I could be wrong; I'm still reading.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Before you roll, you declare how many Darkness points (basically, your monstrous mojo, acquired in a variety of ways) you want to spend to add +1 to the roll each, up to +3.

Then you roll 2d6 flat; there are no attributes. 7 or lower is a miss. 8-10 is a full success. 11+ is a disastrous success, the equivalent of a partial success in more PbtA games. So you're trying to hit a sweet spot, instead of rolling high.

There's some interesting maths behind that. Your probability of an unalloyed success remains more or less the same if you spend at least one Darkness point, but your probability of a disastrous success keeps going up with each extra point -- so you should be dropping one regularly, and 2-3 when you're invested. I think it's kind of neat.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

potatocubed posted:

There's some interesting maths behind that. Your probability of an unalloyed success remains more or less the same if you spend at least one Darkness point, but your probability of a disastrous success keeps going up with each extra point -- so you should be dropping one regularly, and 2-3 when you're invested. I think it's kind of neat.

Yeah, it's actually pretty clever. Tokens come and go pretty steadily, and you can't hoard them -- if you have 5+, you go too far into the dark and it triggers a move that either introduces a complication or sets your tokens to 0 -- and there's not really a mathematically correct number of tokens to bid.

Also, some of these Division moves flat out rule. I want "Orphanage Visit" on every character.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Saltpowered posted:

Those look very… bland. The sculpts might be ok but the digital imagery for them is just so boring. Pretty much every cmon campaign has better mini imagery in their campaigns. gently caress, even the Witcher images before the production issues looked better.

Just an absolute minimum amount of effort because they knew it would do bonkers money so why even bother paying someone to paint printed mocks.

And if that one they show is actually painted and not a digital image… gently caress it’s a mediocre paint job.

They said they will try to get someone to paint the minis

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Also, after the roll, you can use a player Bond to add 1 or subtract 1 from a roll.

Progression is totally flat; there is no way other than spending darkness points to get better at rolls, as far as I can see. I could be wrong; I'm still reading.

Apocalypse World itself was balanced around throwing a +1 to the roll, since the partial success centers around an 8. Most people just took a cue from the basic AW stat spreads to limit themselves to how their games started so they didn't need to play with the range any. Can't find a callout for it in the book proper, but Vincent certainly blogged about it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The math on this one is that spending 2 points maximizes your chance of full success at 16/36, with a 10/36 each for the other two results.

Adding a 3rd point reduces your odds of full success by a tiny 1/36, but it also reduces your chance of a miss by 4/36 and increases your chance of a disastrous success by 5/36. So as long as disastrous success is better than miss, spending that 3rd point is a good thing if you can afford it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disastrous success is a really tough sell from a narrative standpoint if that is going to be a common outcome. It sounds like a critical + crit failure which just feels odd. Miss/Weak/Strong is easy to grasp, adding on more qualifiers to both positive and negative at the same time should be extremely rare unless the game gives a lot of guidance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They said they will try to get someone to paint the minis

The fact that they didn't do this to begin with makes me question how plugged into the mini scene anyone on the campaign is. For something that's going to do Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter money having an Angel Giraldez or whoever bang out some nice paintjobs for them would barely be a blip in the budget. Of course they're already at seven figures so I guess you could convincingly argue that it doesn't really matter.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The Moon Monster posted:

The fact that they didn't do this to begin with makes me question how plugged into the mini scene anyone on the campaign is. For something that's going to do Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter money having an Angel Giraldez or whoever bang out some nice paintjobs for them would barely be a blip in the budget. Of course they're already at seven figures so I guess you could convincingly argue that it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, it's not something that could do Brandon Sanderson money, after all.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bottom Liner posted:

Disastrous success is a really tough sell from a narrative standpoint if that is going to be a common outcome. It sounds like a critical + crit failure which just feels odd. Miss/Weak/Strong is easy to grasp, adding on more qualifiers to both positive and negative at the same time should be extremely rare unless the game gives a lot of guidance.

That's my initial thought, too, but I haven't read any of the moves so I can't really judge it yet.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Keyforge was bought from FFG by Ghost Galaxy games and has the next set up on Gamefound and doing very well. A lot of the stretch goals look interesting, like the unchained decks which disregard the usual rules for deck creation.

I was very into our local Keyforge community but man I am glad to get away from FFG/Asmodee.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's doing half as well as the obvious money laundering mobile game art garbage TCGs do on Kickstarter every other week, and that's not counting whatever Christian Petersen paid FFG for the game and cost of remaking the algorithm, etc. It's going to be a hard sell because of a lot of reasons, most especially because the remaining FFG produced decks were on huge clearance for $0.99/ea and I imagine most people that were only curious about the game stocked up on a handful that way. It's mostly the diehard fans going in on that campaign, and I have no idea if that will be enough to keep it going after this.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

It's doing half as well as the obvious money laundering mobile game art garbage TCGs do on Kickstarter every other week, and that's not counting whatever Christian Petersen paid FFG for the game and cost of remaking the algorithm, etc. It's going to be a hard sell because of a lot of reasons, most especially because the remaining FFG produced decks were on huge clearance for $0.99/ea and I imagine most people that were only curious about the game stocked up on a handful that way. It's mostly the diehard fans going in on that campaign, and I have no idea if that will be enough to keep it going after this.

I'm not nearly as doom and gloom on it. It's on Game found, not Kickstarter. It's not going to do as well in the first place. The goal was just to get funds to get the game back into motion, which it's doing. Especially since they just hit the stretch goal for other language decks which weren't planned at the start. Getting new people in is mostly going to come down to store support and word of mouth. Sure there's cheap decks out there but anyone getting into the game that way and enjoying it will want to get into the newest sets.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Any thoughts on Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies? The pledge manager's on Gamefound now.

I had never heard of the game, nor the original, but it looks like something my spouse and I would love. Just not sure yet if it's worth taking the plunge.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I'm not nearly as doom and gloom on it. It's on Game found, not Kickstarter. It's not going to do as well in the first place. The goal was just to get funds to get the game back into motion, which it's doing. Especially since they just hit the stretch goal for other language decks which weren't planned at the start. Getting new people in is mostly going to come down to store support and word of mouth. Sure there's cheap decks out there but anyone getting into the game that way and enjoying it will want to get into the newest sets.

Also, as an old fan and sucker for "you're the only one who has this" items, the tiers that come with personalized decks are sweet. Can't wait to get my deck "CellBlock, who fingles the bingle" or whatever it'll end up as.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SageNytell posted:

Any thoughts on Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies? The pledge manager's on Gamefound now.

I had never heard of the game, nor the original, but it looks like something my spouse and I would love. Just not sure yet if it's worth taking the plunge.

The original is good fun, basically a roguelite board game with a huge map to explore and quest in. A bit fiddly since you control 9 characters no matter how many players there are, but we found it totally worth it.

Lots of reading, but Forteller should take care of that if you don't want to do it yourself.

Combat is basically an optimization puzzle with some mitigatable randomness.

The new one apparently streamlines the experience some.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

My group had an awful experience with sleeping gods. Gameplay choices never meaningfully evolved beyond what it was to start with. Advancement was slow and ultimately pointless.
We were a group of 4 and the game heavily encourages quarterbacking which we didn't enjoy at all.
Story was ok but not enough for us to do more than one run thru and then collectively agree to never play again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
NPI has a review of sleeping gods. Efka liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKytIcNyqsY

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SageNytell posted:

That brain thing where you read the words you want to instead of what's there made me think this was a sleeping dogs project :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The pitch video for this game is so bad

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/game9t1/elemon-party

They even misspelled the game's name once as "lemonparty"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am not clicking anything called lemon party on the internet.

I done learned that back in high school.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Well, got my all-in pledge for Hexplore it! today.

All* 56 pounds of it.

*It was missing some of the extra dice I pledged for, time to dance the support email tango.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Looks like steamforged is doing an Elden Ring game. Might be a top tier "buy it for the minis" game, I guess.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Tsilkani posted:

Well, got my all-in pledge for Hexplore it! today.

All* 56 pounds of it.

*It was missing some of the extra dice I pledged for, time to dance the support email tango.

Did you get a shipped/tracking email, or did it just show up? They said they were missed at first but they'd talk to the people to get them sent for the next batch.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

bagrada posted:

Did you get a shipped/tracking email, or did it just show up? They said they were missed at first but they'd talk to the people to get them sent for the next batch.

I got my Mira Noctis boxes last week out of the blue.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Moon Monster posted:

Looks like steamforged is doing an Elden Ring game. Might be a top tier "buy it for the minis" game, I guess.

Given their track record with the Dark Souls board game and the Dark Souls RPG, that is absolutely the only reason to get the ER Board Game.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

bagrada posted:

I got a UPS email the day before, because I have an UPS account. Nothing from Funagain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Age of Comics: The Golden Years has launched on KS, and goddamn, does it look dry. Like, Food Chain Magnate dry. For what should be a fun theme, there’s a lot of moving parts that sound relatively uninteresting.

Also, The Golden Years subtitle makes me think they’ve got expansions or sequels for the Silver/Bronze age already planned.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got my Star Realms Deluxe Nova Collection in.

:geno:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Got my Mira Noctis too, surprisingly at my door since UPS loves giving us our neighbor's packages, and tends to give ours to the Post Office while saying they can't deliver to us directly. My gamefound account page still says "ready to ship".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bagrada posted:

Got my Mira Noctis too, surprisingly at my door since UPS loves giving us our neighbor's packages, and tends to give ours to the Post Office while saying they can't deliver to us directly. My gamefound account page still says "ready to ship".

What all did you get with it? Make sure you got all the right boxes. I was missing a package from my order and had to contact them so I could get the replacement.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What all did you get with it? Make sure you got all the right boxes. I was missing a package from my order and had to contact them so I could get the replacement.

Main box, expansion box, a big ziploc with the art poster, and the additional card pack. It seems like everything is there but I haven't checked all the parts yet. I stuck to just the mira noctis trio with the gamefound campaign since we already had the original box, and I bought the forest/mage base box in the interim. What were you missing?

First thing I did when I got my first Gloomhaven box very early on (I missed the kickstarter but ordered from their website before fulfillment) was check all the boxes including the top secret don't open ones and found a dupe/missing miniature that Isaac replaced for me right away (had an extra angry face in place of three spears). I'm debating risking a repeat to leave Frosthaven secrets a surprise.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bagrada posted:

What were you missing?

I was missing the living card deck for volume 1. That said, I read a bunch of comments from people who had either received a living card deck for the wrong volume or had received a duplicate of the living card deck.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Played the first two sessions of ISS Vanguard this weekend, initial impressions are positive, going to do another few sessions next weekend and collate thoughts.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Played the first two sessions of ISS Vanguard this weekend, initial impressions are positive, going to do another few sessions next weekend and collate thoughts.

i'm curious as to how much grind there is, that seems like the glaring issue in most AR story games. i ended up refunding my pledge because i started to freak out about getting too many games at once

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

HidaO-Win posted:

Awesome! I'm hopeful mine gets shipped soon

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

So, gotten a couple games of Hexplore It! under the belt so far, and I would say it's absolutely worth it as a medium-crunch adventure board game. Would recommend.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tsilkani posted:

So, gotten a couple games of Hexplore It! under the belt so far, and I would say it's absolutely worth it as a medium-crunch adventure board game. Would recommend.

Which one are you playing? The new gothic horror one?

I'm aiming to make that one my first :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

We've started with Valley of the Dead King, but we've been mixing in the PC options from the other sets I got as well. The various dual-specialty classes from the expansions really pull their weight when you're only playing with two players.