Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got a warning about using Nkit versions of games when I ran GameCube using Dolphin. Does that actually affect performance or anything or it it one of those “just in case” warnings?
When I looked this up it seemed like it only matters for like one or two games and I don't remember what they were but were not ones that I would care to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Heran Bago posted:

You gotta go to your network settings and turn on offline mode. Try it out first.

I didn't do that when I was off network for like 10 days. I just started it normally without network and everything worked. I think "Try it out" is the easiest advice though, it an easy test.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well there goes just under 700 dollars, not the largest purchase I've ever done but definitely the largest I've done as a single payment(Valve would probably sell even more of these things if they had some sort of payment plan option)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Well there goes just under 700 dollars, not the largest purchase I've ever done but definitely the largest I've done as a single payment(Valve would probably sell even more of these things if they had some sort of payment plan option)

Well, there’s a sort of payment plan if you do what I did and just throw a hundred bucks every week or so in the Steam Wallet while waiting for your email to arrive.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Crystal Project is the perfect game for this if you like final fantasy job systems and exploring and turn based combat. The demo will last a solid ten hours and your save carries over.

I bought the game the very instant I finished the demo. Forceful recommend.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Xalidur posted:

Crystal Project is the perfect game for this if you like final fantasy job systems and exploring and turn based combat. The demo will last a solid ten hours and your save carries over.

I bought the game the very instant I finished the demo. Forceful recommend.

It’s pretty much the only game I have played on the Deck so far. Real cozy with lots of accessibility options to adjust difficulty if that is your jam. Super easy to fire up for a bit and unlock a few skills, or jump around the world and find chests on your quest to unlock more crystals (job classes).

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, this may be a stupid question, but is there any way to easily sync saves on emulators between the Deck and a PC? I was thinking I could probably use Warpinator and just transfer the memory card files back and forth depending on where I'm playing but I was wondering if there was any other easier, more seamless option like the way the Deck automatically syncs cloud saves on Steam.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't messed with it much personally, but apparently you can get something going with SyncThing where you add it as a non-Steam game and have it auto-sync the specific save directories (/run/media/mmcblk0p1/saves if you're using a uSD for emulation like I am).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Help me out, if I have paid for it, like the full $700 is paid up as of monday, it's shipping roughly this week, right? Payment means it's not reserved for months from now, but actually physically exists and is being put on a truck now?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Anime Liker posted:

Help me out, if I have paid for it, like the full $700 is paid up as of monday, it's shipping roughly this week, right? Payment means it's not reserved for months from now, but actually physically exists and is being put on a truck now?

5 dollar desposit means you have an opportunity to order it when the time comes. Paying the full amount for a Steam Deck means that you have indeed ordered one and it is on the way to you as soon as FedEx (or GLS if you're in Europe) has it. When it actually ships seems to vary for people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you go into your Steam purchase history you'll also find the tracking info in there so you can see what's going on and refresh it obsessively every hour.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Hot drat.

I'm going to be playing Halo and Metroid Prime on my Switch 2.0 soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That new humble bundle is a good deck deal. 10 bux for a bunch of Star Wars/Lego games, Lucas Arts adventure games, and for some reason the ok AVP game from like 2011 and Colonel Marines (lol maybe I'll finally try it), But more importantly you get like 30 pinball tables for Pinball FX3 (all Marvel and Star Wars sadly) and pinball on Steam Deck is good poo poo. Although I wish you could adjust the angle of the table. It's clearly meant for a bigger screen but still very playable.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Since they're in that bundle: I've heard people rave about KotOR for years now. I really don't care about Star Wars - as in I've watched a few of the movies and I just don't see what everyone is so in love with. Not in a contrarian-type of way; that universe just doesn't do anything for me. Are the KotOR games worth it to someone like me, who's just looking for a good RPG to play on Deck?

In other news, my Deck made it to and has already left the GLS closest to me as of last night, but according their tracking, is not supposed to get here before Monday. I feel like a 14 year old again, goddamnit.

Edit: Probably should have added, Bioware's a bit of a mixed bag for me, where I don't enjoy any of their games I've played past ME 2. The second KotOR being developed by Obsidian is something that kind of piqued my interest though.
vvvv

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 24, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really. I played KOTOR back when it came out and I have no idea why people like it so much. Even when I was like 19 I didn't think it was that good. I've never liked a bioware game in my life thiugh fwiw. If you like that crap maybe it isn't half bad.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Not really. I played KOTOR back when it came out and I have no idea why people like it so much. Even when I was like 19 I didn't think it was that good. I've never liked a bioware game in my life thiugh fwiw. If you like that crap maybe it isn't half bad.

It's like mass effect before mass effect, in the star wars universe. Was fun at the time, the main bit people remember is how you could go light side or dark side on very decision.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The first KOTOR is entirely sincere, and thus a lot less interesting. It's D&D in spaaaace.

The sequel uses a lot of unreliable storytellers and is on the whole a lot more critical of the whole Star Wars lore, which automatically makes it a lot more interesting. It's janky as gently caress though, and needs a mod to fix the most egregious problems. I'd give it a cautious recommendation if you are into RPGs.

Not sure how it runs in proton though. KOTOR 2 was a wreck when it released.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Couple questions. First off, is there a way to calibrate the touch screen? Correlation between where I touch and where the mouse cursor goes feels a little off.

No, afaik.

Deck OS uses Wayland rather than X11. I'm not sure it's even possible. Best lead I've found so far is weston_touch_calibration in wayland-devel.

Touchscreen is the Deck's biggest failing imo. Not that it needs it to be an amazing machine at its pice point.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just paid for my Steam Deck! Can't wait!

I'm in Canada, anyone know when I should expect to get it?

So excited!

Canadians are on pause right now. I paid over a week ago and I only found out via social media that Canadian orders are being paused. :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone on the Preview build right now? I kinda wanna know if it’s buggy or safe to try out at the moment since it has some nice docked mode features.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Canadians are on pause right now. I paid over a week ago and I only found out via social media that Canadian orders are being paused. :(

The pause is on the queue, so if you've paid in full, you're not actually paused. The pause is because they've fallen behind on shipping paid orders, so it may be a distinction without a difference, but you're not paused per se, the wheels are still moving.

Glimpse fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 24, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

NuckmasterJ posted:

What the hell? Why?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

What the hell? Why?

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1573016024110473216

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fair enough.

Edit; wait, if I'm reading this correctly, those who have paid are still set to get them generally on time, whereas the people who have put the $5 down (in Canada) will be waiting a bit longer for their emails, until the backlog is shipped.... right?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

Since they're in that bundle: I've heard people rave about KotOR for years now. I really don't care about Star Wars - as in I've watched a few of the movies and I just don't see what everyone is so in love with. Not in a contrarian-type of way; that universe just doesn't do anything for me. Are the KotOR games worth it to someone like me, who's just looking for a good RPG to play on Deck?

In other news, my Deck made it to and has already left the GLS closest to me as of last night, but according their tracking, is not supposed to get here before Monday. I feel like a 14 year old again, goddamnit.

Edit: Probably should have added, Bioware's a bit of a mixed bag for me, where I don't enjoy any of their games I've played past ME 2. The second KotOR being developed by Obsidian is something that kind of piqued my interest though.
vvvv

i've played some kotor2 on the deck and it runs well. it's also easy to get the restored content mod that fixes everything up. i imagine the first one would run well too, they're the same engine

as a kid, i didn't really care about star wars until I played the kotor games. as an adult, now i'm pissed off that most of the rest of star wars sucks rear end

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fair enough.

Edit; wait, if I'm reading this correctly, those who have paid are still set to get them generally on time, whereas the people who have put the $5 down (in Canada) will be waiting a bit longer for their emails, until the backlog is shipped.... right?

Yes. Basically sounds like their Canadian distributor has fallen behind on sending out fully paid orders (people who have received their emails and paid $500 or whatever), so Valve is pausing sending any more emails out for Canada until the backlog is cleared.

So if you've only put down the $5 deposit and not received your email and paid for the Deck in full, you're going to be waiting a little longer.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nooooo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Halo Master Chief Collection not being playable at all because of anti cheat is some bullshit. I just wanna play the campaign.
There should be a launch option to start with anticheat turned off for mods, try that.

As for the anticheat, as of a bit over a week ago there are "ongoing compatibility issues" that are being collectively worked on by 343, EasyAntiCheat and Valve. Hopefully they'll be further along by the next big MCC update in November or thereabouts.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got a tracking number but FedEx doesn't know anything about it yet

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Interacting with the deck desktop using steam link on my big computer is magic.

Now I need to figure out what games are worth playing out of the thousands of ROMs I have now...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fair enough.

They have to make it through their backlog on paid orders and we have no idea how large that is, so there may be some delay for people who have already paid but are at the back of the line.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its interesting that they were able to improve the on screen keyboard so much. the original must have been running a lot of dumb code during each key press

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mistermojo posted:

its interesting that they were able to improve the on screen keyboard so much. the original must have been running a lot of dumb code during each key press

Yeah, so my wife ended up using her steam account to buy our Deck, and got all the points, and there are so many nice keyboards to buy with steam points, and I don't have enough :negative:

Whatever, next sale will likely take care of that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Kins posted:

There should be a launch option to start with anticheat turned off for mods, try that.

As for the anticheat, as of a bit over a week ago there are "ongoing compatibility issues" that are being collectively worked on by 343, EasyAntiCheat and Valve. Hopefully they'll be further along by the next big MCC update in November or thereabouts.

I tried that and it didn’t launch. I’ll install it again and try again soon.

A couple hours before my Deck was delivered on Thursday, I got a text from my ISP saying that I’ve used 75% of this month’s data cap. The next morning I got one that said I’ve used 90%. It’s gonna be a long week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried that and it didn’t launch. I’ll install it again and try again soon.

A couple hours before my Deck was delivered on Thursday, I got a text from my ISP saying that I’ve used 75% of this month’s data cap. The next morning I got one that said I’ve used 90%. It’s gonna be a long week.

I hear Starbucks doesn’t have a data cap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I hear Starbucks doesn’t have a data cap.

Now that you mention it, I could go for a Nitro Cold Brew.

So I’ve got the hang of Emudeck and the Steam Rom Manager. Sometimes the Rom Manager thinks a game has a different name so it won’t download any artwork for it from SteamGridDB. I could download the art manually, but I’m sure that it’ll be easier for it to scrape the art if it’ll get the name right. Is there a way to manually change the name so that it scrapes the art correctly? For example, it misnamed Ico as “Iconic.”

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fair enough.

Well I paid last Thursday and it's still processing. I'm not sure when they plan on shipping but I've been told it's usually pretty quick. Sad Canadian noises.

I think the delay notice started the day I paid so maybe I'm in some sort of maple syrup money limbo.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Well I paid last Thursday and it's still processing. I'm not sure when they plan on shipping but I've been told it's usually pretty quick. Sad Canadian noises.

I think the delay notice started the day I paid so maybe I'm in some sort of maple syrup money limbo.

There was a week between payment and shipping for me. Then the actual shipment took 2 days. :canada:

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Glimpse posted:

There was a week between payment and shipping for me. Then the actual shipment took 2 days. :canada:

Praise be gaben. The sooner it gets to my door the sooner I can't hide it from my 13 year old son the sooner I lose it forever and I have to go to court to get weekends visitation rights.

*Sigh* I should of bought two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NuckmasterJ posted:

Praise be gaben. The sooner it gets to my door the sooner I can't hide it from my 13 year old son the sooner I lose it forever and I have to go to court to get weekends visitation rights.

*Sigh* I should of bought two.

Well the good news is you could order another one and have it in a semi reasonable time frame!