Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kung Food posted:

You are trying to do a weird poo poo post thing. But get this, everyone sees through you. You are not clever or funny. You are not FYDA at it's prime subversive. Also fun things, spending money on things other than alts. Even better, you can touch grass for free. Also it seems pretty thematic, someone descends on a thread about tech alienation and dehumanization with a cloud of alts while trying to pretend they are above it all. Just A+ point proving.

You forget your meds bro...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cheesetriangles posted:

There is not much of an age gap.

I would have guessed 16 and 22ish. I need to watch it again to see how i feel about it with the context of knowing the characters better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Live fast die young and they're still all older than most anime protagonists.

CJ:
Most of the music is new for the show but a number of the songs with lyrics were pulled from the game, particularly these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9X4WceY64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbLODUb1sA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another important one was Major Crimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo4flxOo5Ew

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Kung Food posted:

One of the most tiresome classes of people on the internet are boring, uninteresting idiots who fancy themselves ingenious snarklords who are above it all, just so much better than people who would dare to like a thing. People who think themselves smarter and funnier than the plebs, while being the most mundane, most incel mother fuckers to ever post. I am not saying Kaiser Mazoku is such a person, they just seem like such a person.

i don't get this post

do you not like batman beyond

i'm sorry

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think he just thought you were being bitingly sarcastic.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmao

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

I think he just thought you were being bitingly sarcastic.

extremely unhinged response regardless lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1573654462710878208?s=20&t=ILyLDxZtgEp1AzzNejV-HA

Jesus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's a hell of a glow up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's unironically a good game. It's just not what was promised and not what people expected after it took far too long to come out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It started as an isometric RPG, the Witcher 2 and 3 became big hits and they switched to an open world RPG, the trailers promoted it as an immersive sim, and the end result is a first person GTA style game with CDPR storytelling. It fell into the same trap as No Man's Sky selling a game that it wasn't, but at least it came put unlike the bottomless grifting pit named Star Citizen.

I'm happy it's not an immersive sim, honestly. There's a fine balance between immersion and busywork, and CDPR tries to keep to the fun side of things as opposed to something like Red Dead 2 where you have to skin your kills and sell them before the meat goes bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's not an immersive sim? You can stealth, hack, or shoot through most missions. If Deus Ex qualifies I can't see how 2077 doesn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sindai posted:

It's not an immersive sim? You can stealth, hack, or shoot through most missions. If Deus Ex qualifies I can't see how 2077 doesn't.

I feel like it's a lite version of a sim given that the game is also blending other genres in the pot alongside it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Fabricated posted:

It's unironically a good game. It's just not what was promised and not what people expected after it took far too long to come out.

Yet unlike Star Citizen, it came out, it came close to its promises, and its entertaining.

Calling 2077 or Deus Ex "Immersive" is really underselling what immersive is supposed to mean though.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

It also varied wildly depending on which version you played. Like speaking as someone who played it Day 1 on PS4 Pro, it was downright unplayable for me. I couldn't even make it through the entire prologue because the performance was making me nauseous after like 20-30 minutes, textures would take literal minutes to actually load correctly on the environment while exploring the city, and something about the sensitivity settings that I couldn't figure out made aiming in combat feel viscerally frustrating. I hated the moment-to-moment experience so much that it was the first digital game that I've bothered to refund in the past 15 years.

After watching Edgerunners, I'm hoping to eventually give it another try on PC once I can afford one that will actually be able to run it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think there's been a game out yet that can fully embody what an immersive sim is supposed to be. It's a label that gets contradicted by the mechanics of the games that use the name. Immersion is held up by button presses and busywork which can often end up taking away from the intended result.

I think Errant Signal was the one who coined the term 0451 games, which are similar sim style games that use the number code 0451 in a similar way to how animators use A113 to tag their work and association with California Institute of the Arts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 25, 2022

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gloomwood is a recent attempt (in the Thief vein) if a bit early to be featuring everything yet. Incidentally just added the 0451 reference in the latest patch too.

New Blood has been publishing all the hot poo poo lately.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I liked this show, better than I thought it would be. I only wish they used more in-game music, like the moment a battle theme started playing was the only time I felt like the music really hit.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Congrats I guess on being the first person that didn't get wrecked by I Really Want To Stay At Your House.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Congrats I guess on being the first person that didn't get wrecked by I Really Want To Stay At Your House.

lol yeah I should've made an edit for this specifically

I guess I understand why they didn't use more music just ripped from the game, in the same vein that yeah there are game characters in it, but not enough to make it feel like a cheap reference

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really dug it. Only mild complaint is I wish Lucy had been a bit more active in fights I guess, but I've watched media in general for that to not be a surprise when it doesn't happen. Great stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBF, Lucy's a netrunner. Even in the game (an action-RPG shooter), direct physical confrontation comes a distant second place to making people's bodies shut down while you chill out in the building next door if you've got the hacking skills for it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihdo3vPFK9Y

This was by far my favorite track in the game, and I was glad I didn't hear it in this show since it feels like a specific V/Johnny thing. Off topic, I just really like it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, Lucy's a netrunner. Even in the game (an action-RPG shooter), direct physical confrontation comes a distant second place to making people's bodies shut down while you chill out in the building next door if you've got the hacking skills for it.

Yeah. She's actually pretty impressive in a direct fight, considering that. She's a better runner than Kiwi, who can kill rooms full of people from across the street, and she still took the time to learn how to use wires to kill people up close.

It's mildly interesting that, in addition to just bringing him up to speed as an absolute combat monster, Adam Smasher has his main weakness removed in Edgerunners. On the tabletop, a monster deckhead like Lucy would be able to rip through his defenses with ease and do at least a bit of damage, but in the show, she can't do much more against him than David can.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
tbf I imagine he’s had some ICE upgrades in the last 50 years and being the top arasaka merc gets him the real good poo poo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

tbf I imagine he’s had some ICE upgrades in the last 50 years and being the top arasaka merc gets him the real good poo poo

In theory, yes.

In 2077, no.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They really need to mod Smasher's Ice to be much much stronger in the game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Just watched the show today. It was okay. The action, character design, and mood all were very good but I don’t think the writing was very strong.

It was a well executed version of a cyberpunk/crime tragedy but I didn’t feel like it was much beyond that. It wasn’t really interested in exploring its characters, setting, or genre much, so everything ultimately felt like it was playing it a bit safe? Like, there’s guns and boobs but that’s the sort of thing you expect from a work like this.

I especially never really felt David very compelling. I liked him more in the beginning when it felt like he had a lot of potential but ultimately the show wasn’t interested in exploring him as a character, which was disappointing

I’d recommend this show to people who really like game/setting but for a sci-fi action tragedy I’d easily recommend Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans first

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I liked this show, better than I thought it would be. I only wish they used more in-game music, like the moment a battle theme started playing was the only time I felt like the music really hit.

crossposting from the 2077 thread, based on an interview with one of the show's producers

Rinkles posted:

Some more details about how the music was selected. Since Trigger was in charge of the direction of the show, they were given given free rein over the soundtrack, outside the OP and ED. CDPR provided them with a folder full of the game's OST and the ending theme. But this was only the instrumental soundtrack, it didn't include all the songs because those would need extra licensing. Trigger said they wanted something with lyrics, but one or two songs would do. So Jaki went over the game's radios and picked out the songs that they could probably license again. However, despite their initial request, to CDPR's dismay Trigger ended up adding a whole bunch of the songs in post-production. But they couldn't deny it worked well ("gently caress that works"), so the songs stayed. Imaishi (the director) apparently also liked the ED enough that he kept asking for more from the artist, which was a bit awkward because Podsiadło is a big star in Poland, and though Jaki's friend, it was a personal favor in the first place. In the end there are three of his songs in the show. This was all done late in post-production.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I’d recommend this show to people who really like game/setting but for a sci-fi action tragedy I’d easily recommend Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans first

what if I want something that isn’t two seasons long, and doesn’t have dozens of characters, and isn’t gundam

like no poo poo the characters are more sketchy compared to a space opera series, it’s apples and oranges

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

but ultimately the show wasn’t interested in exploring him as a character

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

It wasn’t! His arc is very predictable and ultimately pretty barebones. You can chalk it up to the pacing if you want but the show is just not interested in him beyond the needs of that basic arc

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Kid is trapped in Libertarian Paradise. Wants to escape Libertarian Paradise. Takes what he sees as the first ticket out, in this case, a life of crime, which is realistically the only ticket out for those who are just too Lazy™ to be successful. Has fun times doing crimes with his cool new cyberpals. Suffers tragedy and loss. Goes too far in a few places. Spoiler stuff happens.

I mean I suppose you could argue it's "barebones" but I dunno how fullbones you can be in 10 episodes. Predictable? Well, he's a Trigger protagonist, so it's a safe bet that he's gonna be a hotblooded action hero who everyone underestimates until he tries to take down the system and maybe survives. Doesn't make it any less entertaining. What actually caught me by surprise was that the system WASN'T taken down. Yeah some cops and suits were splattered but fundamentally the world hasn't changed. It's still Libertarian Paradise. But at least David was able to escape it, one way or another.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah that's the cyberpunk genre for you. It's a clever way to set up audiences expecting hotblooded bravado and anime shonen protagonist determination to carry the day and then pull the rug out from under them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

They really need to mod Smasher's Ice to be much much stronger in the game.

everything about smasher in the game is weak
but he's awesome in this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how Smasher is polite enough to take the elevator as he's chasing a target down the side of a building. Felt very much like Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

everything about smasher in the game is weak
but he's awesome in this

toning down his galloping misogyny made him feel a lot less tryhard if nothing else

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Can someone explain what is going on in this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHp-tk3F0xc&t=205s
What's up with the weird air juggle and long scene? A reference to something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Goofy physics in the game I'm guessing.