Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Detective No. 27 posted:

The way Gabe talked about the Deck after the initial announcement made it seem that they have long term plans for the Steam Deck. Something along the lines of revolutionizing PC gaming the way the iPhone revolutionized phones. I think he may have overstated the importance and I didn’t take that to mean it’ll have yearly iterations. But it’s clear there’s a confidence and vision that wasn’t there with the Steam Machine a decade ago.

While he may have overstated its importance, it's pretty undeniable that the deck, and SteamOS with it, are both massive successes. I'm pretty sure they've announced that they'll be doing another one at some point. Thankfully not annually, that's an awful release cadence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think you could make an argument that Valve saw the PC gaming arms race making PC gaming less and less attainable to people coming and the Deck was their response to pre-emptively protect the future of PC gaming. You could also just say they got incredibly lucky on that front, but I'd be surprised if once the Deck supply has stabilised they didn't have a deal coming with one of the mini PC manufacturers to have another shot at Steam Machines to do the same consolised PC idea but with actual game support this time. People have already been using HoloISO to install SteamOS 3 on mini PCs and NUCs, most recently the console-like form factor PCs that MSI and Minisforum have put out.

With hardware revisions too, I wonder if the shell and device design doesn't change whether Valve has an upgrade program where you could pay to send in your existing deck and have it upgraded to the new APU if they do them every 2-3 years, it would take a lot of the sting out of hardware revisions.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Vegastar posted:

You could also just buy a 512 microsd for like, 50 bucks and have plenty of storage to go around. Iirc read/write tests with decent sd cards have been roughly the same as the internal ssd.

Oh nice - if that's the case then it really does seem like 64 is a slam dunk.

Also thanks to everyone, sounds like the deck is here to stay from where we are standing right now. It seems like this thing is a steal for what I want so I'll go ahead and slam down 5 bucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unlike the Steam machines from 5-10 years ago, I look forward to more and more developers actually target the Steam Deck with their releases going forward.

Very glad that Linux/Proton-friendly builds are really catching on.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unlike the Steam machines from 5-10 years ago, I look forward to more and more developers actually target the Steam Deck with their releases going forward.

Very glad that Linux/Proton-friendly builds are really catching on.

For real, now that I have a Deck, verified status is the first thing I check.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d really love to know how many units they’ve shipped so far.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I also love that because of the Steam Deck some indie devs are actually getting forced to pay attention to things like accessibility. The devs of Potion Permit are getting a lot of poo poo for the font size in the game and have promised to look into UI scaling specifically because how small the font is on the Deck. Which is great, we need more options for things like that!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God I hope so. Even on the Switch it wasn’t that rare to come across a game with too-tiny text in handheld mode.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have a feeling the secondary market for Steam Decks will remain high - I'd gladly throw down $5 for another lengthy preorder period and just flip my existing Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I have a feeling the secondary market for Steam Decks will remain high - I'd gladly throw down $5 for another lengthy preorder period and just flip my existing Deck.

Eh they are down to about a month lead time so I wouldn’t expect that market to be around for too long once they catch up.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm not keeping up to date reading this thread at the moment, please PM me if there's something that should be added to OP.

edit: if i ordered about a month ago, when should i start obsessively checking my email?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 25, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mescal posted:

I'm not keeping up to date reading this thread at the moment, please PM me if there's something that should be added to OP.

edit: if i ordered about a month ago, when should i start obsessively checking my email?

They've already caught up to orders from August now, so you unless something unexpected happens (like the shipment problems in Canada), you might actually get your mail in a week or two

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Mickey Rourke-starring FPS schlock Rogue Warrior keeps crashing every minute or so on the Deck :negative:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Valve is also hoping to bootstrap more devices like the Deck from other companies. Hence the open hardware and software designs - they figure the more the merrier for their storefront. I'm looking forward to more choice of devices running SteamOS.

Where I figure the Deck will have the lead is all the extra inputs. The two touchpads and the 4 back buttons are really pulling their weight in modded Skyrim, need all the inputs I can get to bind mod functions to.

The recent Logitech(?) with Android missed the point. It's PC gaming that we want, whether SteamOS or Windows.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

v1ld posted:

Valve is also hoping to bootstrap more devices like the Deck from other companies. Hence the open hardware and software designs - they figure the more the merrier for their storefront. I'm looking forward to more choice of devices running SteamOS.

Where I figure the Deck will have the lead is all the extra inputs. The two touchpads and the 4 back buttons are really pulling their weight in modded Skyrim, need all the inputs I can get to bind mod functions to.

The recent Logitech(?) with Android missed the point. It's PC gaming that we want, whether SteamOS or Windows.

The Deck is also the flagship device with the biggest install base of handheld PCs right now, so it's the one everyone will be targeting.

Also Logitech's handheld is missing so many other things than just using Android.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think the Logitech device is chasing the same market. The mobile game market is absolutely massive now and that’s the library they want to exploit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think the Logitech device is chasing the same market. The mobile game market is absolutely massive now and that’s the library they want to exploit.

If you want to play mobile games, why wouldn't you just use your phone? Their stated purpose is they want it to be a game streaming handheld but if you want to stream games why wouldn't you just use your phone? Or a Retroid Pocket 3 which is a third of the price. And if you wanted it to be an emulation device you should probably try to be better than the highest end emulation handhelds which are also cheaper than the $300 they want for that thing.

This is before getting into the realities of gaming on Android, where Genshin Impact doesn't even have gamepad support yet and the most notable games on the platform that have controller support are Dead Cells and the Asphalt series.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It also has a pretty slow SoC.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

njsykora posted:

The Deck is also the flagship device with the biggest install base of handheld PCs right now, so it's the one everyone will be targeting.

IMO that's Valve's point by opening the hardware and the software on the Deck for re-use: they don't want to repeat the usual console market focus on specific devices by have a growing market of different devices, just like PCs. PC games are surprisingly resilient to hardware changes, they have to be to run on PCs.

Their business model is also different from traditional consoles, they don't get licensing fees for releasing games on the Deck for example. It's set up to be just like the PC market - but that's the whole point I think.

E: The Deck has whetted my appetite to where higher powered devices built by anyone else would be great to see. I'm reasonably confident of being able to put Linux on it even if the manufacturer doesn't. But where I think it will suck compared to the Deck will be the touchpads, even if they have the back buttons. But if more devices with better GPUs show up that have touchpads and back buttons, sign me up.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 25, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
FYI for people who were having issues with battle . net it seems to have fixed itself

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Deck's touchpads - and the Steam Controller's before it - are things of beauty. I don't use them for mouse or joystick mouse, but rather as super powerful d-pads + touch menus that are perfect to distribute all the keys some PC games need, especially if modded.

Skyrim's default controller binding uses the B button to launch a 4-way menu that then requires 2 d-pad presses each to select from: Inventory, Map, Magic & Skills, for a total of 3 presses over 2 buttons to open the map. Instead, I have the right touchpad providing direct access to those by using their keyboard keys, it's very convenient to click just once to get to the inventory especially. I also have that same right touchpad bound to 4 numpad keys needed by a mod I use pretty heavily, but that's on a separate Action Layer triggered by the R5 back button.

But given the enhanced touch menu support they just released - virtual menus take the stuff already in steam input touch/radial menus and improves upon it - I'm thinking of mapping a bunch of lesser used keys onto the same right touchpad as the Map/Inventory keys. So touching it will bring up a virtual menu letting me select numpad keys, while clicking it will launch map/inventory etc. You can put both on the same touchpad without using any action layers that need chording.

Virtual menus can also trigger other virtual menus, there's a lot of flexibility there.

Buttons can't do touch/radial menus in the same fashion, so losing the touchpads would not be good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t wait for that update to go live for custom menus. That looks legit.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I thought it went live in yesterday's update? Or was it Friday? Going to try it later today, so I hope it's live.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

I thought it went live in yesterday's update? Or was it Friday? Going to try it later today, so I hope it's live.

Oh I thought it was still in the beta channel.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Oh I thought it was still in the beta channel.

It was in the Thursday update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/?emclan=103582791470414830&emgid=3308480236507403332

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Do any of the musou games work properly on Deck? I tried Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate with Proton GE and the game plays well, but the cinematics run choppy with no audio. I don't play these games for the story but it would be nice for everything to be more seamless.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Trucker Hat posted:

Do any of the musou games work properly on Deck? I tried Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate with Proton GE and the game plays well, but the cinematics run choppy with no audio. I don't play these games for the story but it would be nice for everything to be more seamless.

I’ve been playing Pirate Warriors 3 without any issues. The on-screen display shows the wrong input prompts but that only matters for about 5 minutes and you become used to it. (It shows keyboard prompts). It runs beautifully and cutscenes play fine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there a way to make emulation station show the individual game you're playing as your steam status, instead of just "emulation station"?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

They still haven’t fixed the audio crackling after coming out of suspend

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is there a way to turn the display off and let it still download a game? I'm used to just hitting power on the switch just doing it, but it pauses on the deck. I only just got this yesterday so learning a lot

e: also the scaling filter, i don't really notice anything. is it a per game thing? what should I leave as default, linear?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 26, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tamba posted:

They've already caught up to orders from August now, so you unless something unexpected happens (like the shipment problems in Canada), you might actually get your mail in a week or two

drat. they said q4 and i thought christmas. that's an insane acceleration, isn't it?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mescal posted:

drat. they said q4 and i thought christmas. that's an insane acceleration, isn't it?

I have no idea how to confirm this, but if I were to guess it would be like 500,000 people placed pre-orders in April, 40k in May, 30k in June, 20k in July, etc.

The production is catching up to the initial overwhelming demand. Kinda like how it's a hassle to get a PS5 now, but not nearly as bad as this time last year. Eventually it will level out and you can just walk into a Best Buy and get one.

That, or the factory somehow started running at warp speed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barreft posted:

Is there a way to turn the display off and let it still download a game? I'm used to just hitting power on the switch just doing it, but it pauses on the deck. I only just got this yesterday so learning a lot

e: also the scaling filter, i don't really notice anything. is it a per game thing? what should I leave as default, linear?

It’ll turn the display off on its own after a while. Did a lot of downloading yesterday.

This thing is nuts. Seven years ago I went to Fry’s Electronics with a friend so he could buy a new graphics card to run Fallout 4 on his PC. I bought the PS4 version and played it at 30fps. Today I’m playing Fallout 4 on a handheld computer at a solid 60fps.
(Pro tip for FO4 on Deck: Go in the settings and turn God Rays off. They don’t render well.)

Second pro tip: it recommends low settings but it performs just as well on Medium. As far as I can tell l, locked 60. (Turn those Godrays off.) High settings performed pretty good but definitely not locked, and at the resolution, I couldn’t see much improvement. So I recommend medium.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 26, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’ll turn the display off on its own after a while. Did a lot of downloading yesterday.

This thing is nuts. Seven years ago I went to Fry’s Electronics with a friend so he could buy a new graphics card to run Fallout 4 on his PC. I bought the PS4 version and played it at 30fps. Today I’m playing Fallout 4 on a handheld computer at a solid 60fps.
(Pro tip for FO4 on Deck: Go in the settings and turn God Rays off. They don’t render well.)

Yeah this things wild

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can set the power and display settings in desktop mode just like you can in Windows, including when the Deck auto-shuts off and when the display turns off.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah, but I mean when I set it to download a game that'll take at least 30 minutes I'm used to just hitting the power button on the switch and it just turns off the display and still downloads, where the deck pauses the download. It's too late tonight but I'll check out the power settings in desktop tmw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No you can’t download in sleep mode.

They probably won’t enable that because of the heat it generates so they don’t want people doing that then throwing it in their case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Valve please add the bluetooth options to the top hotbar or at the very least show me a list of devices on the ... button menu. Really tired of going deep into the system settings every time my headphones don't automatically connect.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Barreft posted:

The scaling is only for games that don't have native support for a resolution that matches the deck screen.

If you play a game with a lower native resolution than the deck screen (I've had this with a lot of old adventure games, visual novels, that kind of thing) you'll notice a difference with the filters:

Linear will scale the image up to fit the screen, then apply a filtering to the result, meaning you don't get any nasty jaggies but everything will be softly blurred.

Nearest will scale the image up to the screen but won't apply the filtering - which means the blurring is gone, but you'll often get really nasty aliasing and it'll look really rough.

Integer will not try and scale the image to fit the screen, it'll just float the largest upscaled version of the game in the middle of the screen that it can do that has a 1:1 relationship with the screen, meaning you'll have big black borders and the image will be small, but you won't have any aliasing or blurring like you get with Linear or Nearest.

FSR will do Devil's Magic and scale the image up and it will look basically native? There's a very slight blurring, but nowhere near as noticeable as with Linear. I assume you take a tiny battery penalty for using it, but gently caress it, it looks so much better than Linear that you should just use FSR

I personally like to leave it as Integer as the system default, cos sometimes the black bars are pretty small and it would be better to not use scaling to get rid of them. But then if the black bars are really big, I'll switch to "per game setting" and turn FSR on. Honestly, you could probably just leave it set to FSR system-wide and forget about it though

Lord Bob fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

So after a day or two of moving lots of files and running installers directly to the sd card it started getting slower and slower, and eventually stopped reading entirely. I thought I'd burnt it out, corrupted it or bought a dodgy one.

Trawled the steam forums and the following seems to have helped it get back up to speed:

* from the konsole: sudo fstrim -v /run/media/mmcblk0p1
* reformat to ext4 from the desktop kde partition manager, not the games mode formatter

Treating it more gently now but it seems fine? Hope either of the above helps anyone seeing similar.