Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Ravenfood posted:

I get it, it is different seeing your friends from other randos but don't go to a nude beach with your friends if you don't want to see your friends nude. I don't get why this is hard. Lady is blameless and her friends suck.

Also, anyone have a link to the "we decided to ignore our dead relatives will and just take his money instead of giving it to his partner as clearly written" story? I couldn't find it in the OP and it's great.

Couldn't find the exact post as it has been deleted, but somebody had saved the text and reposted it
(MA) late brother's partner suing family for Money

quote:

Our brother age 34M died of cancer 9 months ago. He was very successful and left behind money and assets. He also had a Will. My brother was also in a gay relationship for 8 years with a 28M partner. Our family is religious and yes we may not have approved the relationship we still loved our brother. He unfortunately died of cancer and left a will. Left most of the money to his gay partner. They weren't even married. We decided money to be kept within the family and but gave his partner some money. We also paid for brothers funeral and medical Bill's. We thought that was the end of it. But now his ex partner is suing us for the rest of the funds. I don't know how he got hold of the will. My family is still grieving and now this man wants to take us to court. Trying to see how to solve this without involving the court. Thank you for your advice

With a bit of follow-up from said reposter

quote:

In later comments he admits to spending the money, and to the family's harassment of the boyfriend (which he referred to as "minor"). He also referred to his brother's long-term partner, who stayed with him through terminal cancer, as a "friend," and stated that the family deserved the money because they paid for his brother's college education and therefore had contributed to his success. And then it turned out that the brother had left them some of his estate, they just didn't think it was enough. And another comment he made:

OMG, we didn't know it could be this serious. It is all my fault, I convinced my sister to do what the family wanted. We didn't k ow and are shocked that his boyfriend would sue us. I am going to have a family meeting with friends and try to come up with as much money as I can. Omg am very nervous and didn't realize how horrible this could get. Thank you for the advice.

The sister was the executor of the brother's will. The family basically bullied her into giving them the money instead of the boyfriend, then were shocked that this was a criminal offense and that they were being sued.

Edit: did find the post in image form, but it's the whole post and a bunch of the responses, so it's lengthy

Pomme de Terror fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
here's the whole thread, in the most annoying format imaginable, a giant .png: https://archive.org/details/MALateBrothersPartnerSuingFamilyForMoney

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

TREE LAW meets RENTAL.

AITA for my husbands aunts tree being cut down?

That contractor is probably making GBS threads bricks.

"Wait, what do you mean that this isn't your house!?"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks!

Confirming that I loathe reddit's format and that watching his panic unfold at finding out what ignoring a legal document actually can mean is great. Would love an update to that too, but unsurprisingly there isn't one.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pomme de Terror posted:

Couldn't find the exact post as it has been deleted, but somebody had saved the text and reposted it
(MA) late brother's partner suing family for Money

With a bit of follow-up from said reposter

Edit: did find the post in image form, but it's the whole post and a bunch of the responses, so it's lengthy

Oh man just noticed the father was being a racist as well as homophobic. That whole family is getting hosed so hard by a gay man right now and it's glorious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wish there were an actual news update on this, how many MA cases of a family loving over a late member's boyfriend out of his inheritance in the dumbest way possible can there be?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ravenfood posted:

You're giving me flashbacks to all the times I've tried to talk to patients about if/then situations. Most recently, talking with someone about whether they would want open heart salvage if their transcatheter surgery had a complication. I talked about the (very low) likelihood of the complication and options available and answered all the questions and explained that she was likely to have a high rate of complications if she did have to have emergency open heart surgery for x y and z reasons. She kept saying "thats nice dear. I'm just planning on not having a complication" and did not seem to understand the concept of "if". Just...such a long conversation fundamentally predicated on someone refusing to understand "if this thing that we don't think will happens does happen, we would like to have a contingency plan in place." If. Not a hard concept.
Did she understand the concept of "You don't get a choice"?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Thanks!

Confirming that I loathe reddit's format and that watching his panic unfold at finding out what ignoring a legal document actually can mean is great. Would love an update to that too, but unsurprisingly there isn't one.

Wouldn't any filed legal proceedings be a matter of public record? If we accept the premise that on the close order of onemeeeeellion dollars was stolen, then there'd be a juicy, searchable case.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

trickybiscuits posted:

Did she understand the concept of "You don't get a choice"?

She most certainly did not. Well, she did in theory, but couldn't apply it to this concept.

It's not an infrequent occurrence.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 26, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

The_Franz posted:

Maybe, I dunno, don't go to a nude beach if nudity offends you?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

AITA for losing it on my husband for lying about an emergency to get me to leave my brother's wedding early?

quote:

My husband has been sick for few days. He got sicm around the time of my brother's wedding. I took care of him 24hrs for days. He's on meds and can move and go to the bathroom and eat on his own. I told him I was going to my brother's wedding and he threw a fit saying I couldn't leave him alond while he's sick. I told him he was not that sick, it's just some stomache that he's getting treatment for and suggested he call his sister to come stay with him. He said no and told me to miss it. I got upset and bluntly said no and that he could survive for few hours while I attend the wedding. He sulked and as I was leaving, he said he hoped I won't ever come back. It hurt my feelings but I know he was just mad and didn't mean it.

At the wedding, I got a text from him saying he lost balance and fell off the stairs and hurt his back. He said he was in a lot of pain he threw up and couldn't move, and insisted I get home asap. I freaked out and started calling his phone but he didn't answer. I thought "he must've passed out" and I freaked out even more. I got in my car and drove back to our house immediately.

When I got home, I rushed towards the stairs while calling out his name but he wasn't there. I started to really freak out. I rushed into the bedroom and found him in bed drinking juice and soon as he saw me he put the phone down. I instantly knew he lied so I lost it on him and started yelling saying he freaked me out and caused me to miss my brother's wedding for nothing...absolutely nothing. He said that he already told me I couldn't leave him alone in the house and that this "very scenario" could've happened if I stayed there any longer. I yelled at him calling him horrible which made him cry. He started crying and throwing his juice all over the place. I had to step out and call his sister thinking she'd come help but she came and started cussing me out saying I had a lot of nerve expecting her to back me up after I so carelessly left her brother alone af the house in that state just to attend a party. We got into an argument and I went to stag with my family. My brother understood whrn I explained the situation to him. My husband and I haven't seen each other since then but his sister kept saying I had no right to scream at her brother and cause him a panic attack and said that he at least was clear with me from the start but I chose to be dismissive.

Was what I did dismissive? Edit/ I'm 26 years old// he's 23 years old.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Lol that the thread is already closed because of too many manchild comments

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Crocobile posted:

He started crying and throwing his juice all over the place.

he's 23 years old

23 months maybe?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Husband is lucky the OP didn’t call 911 and say “My husband told me he fell down the stairs, couldn’t move, and now isn’t answering his calls,” because I’d bet the paramedics would be similarly displeased at his antics.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It was pretty stupid NOT to call 911 in a case where you believe someone fell down the stairs and lost consciousness. Presumably it was a ways from the wedding to the house (or she could just drive right back). If he was actually seriously injured he probably would have died.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ambulances cost money

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

Husband is lucky the OP didn’t call 911 and say “My husband told me he fell down the stairs, couldn’t move, and now isn’t answering his calls,” because I’d bet the paramedics would be similarly displeased at his antics.

Yeah, what is it, a $2k charge?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rescue Toaster posted:

If he was actually seriously injured he probably would have died.

Maybe she was counting on that.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

pentyne posted:

Yeah, what is it, a $2k charge?

Don't be ridiculous! It's only $1200!

:shepspends:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/cost-ambulance-services

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

ambulances cost money

I mean they cost money if you need transport to the hospital. Which if he fell down stairs, lost consciousness, and needed transport to the hospital, I don't think she could have hauled him there herself after she got home 10+ minutes later (or however far the wedding was).

It sounds like she genuinely believed him, or at least she portrays it that way in the story. In which case either it was serious enough to need to pay for a ride in the wee-woo wagon, or he didn't need transport and they wouldn't have billed him. Presumably if they interpreted it as a nuisance call they could get fined or charged with something but I believe this isn't likely unless it's a repeat offender and/or obvious fraud or something. There are people who call for ambulances a LOT and then refuse to go, they still come every time, and they generally don't bill unless they ride. That's part of why ambulances are so expensive.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 26, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Every now and then I think about compiling a list of entertaining question titles whose content isn't really interesting enough to post. Current candidate:

[GA] I'm facing threats of eviction over Boo Berry Monster cereal and mystery cat litter

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to contribute to my inlaws "crowdsourcing"?

quote:

So, this past Christmas, my (37f) husband (39m) and I decided to buy our teenage son a laptop. We set a budget, scoped one out that had most of the specs he wanted, and made a plan to buy it. Shortly before Black Friday, we found that the next level higher laptop would be going on sale, for an extremely good price, but still higher than our budget. At the same time, I was getting emails from family members on ideas for Christmas presents for my son, so I sent a bulk email out: we'd like to get the higher laptop for him, and thought maybe others in the family would like to contribute to it as a group gift. Several family members reached out, including my in laws, and we were able to get him the nicer laptop, and some accessories, for Christmas as a family gift.

Ever since then, my in laws have been trying to crowdsource the lifestyle they want. They are by no means hard up for money, but continue to ask the family for contributions for vacations, concert tickets, and tech toys or computers. After their recent request for my husband and his 4 siblings to pay for a trip out west for three weeks went unfunded, my MIL threw a temper tantrum and blamed me, saying that I had started the idea, but then refused to "pay it forward" to anyone else. She's refusing to speak to anyone until we agree to pay for something. Most of my husband's siblings and families agree with me that there's a big difference between a family gift for Christmas and crowdsourcing a $10,000 trip, but my SIL called me an AH for teaching them about the concept in the first place. AITA?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love the idea you can be an rear end in a top hat for exposing a person to a tactic they abuse

Like there's lots of stuff I do every day and I don't know if someone is going "hey I can really harass my family with this poo poo" and now I'm concerned

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Every now and then I think about compiling a list of entertaining question titles whose content isn't really interesting enough to post. Current candidate:

[GA] I'm facing threats of eviction over Boo Berry Monster cereal and mystery cat litter
That is a really awesome sounding title. In my head, it’s something like OP filled a cereal box with cat litter dyed blue, then posted on social media about their great “Making my landlord eat cat litter!” prank. Landlord found out and is pissed at the wannabe YouTube star.

But since you said the story actually is boring, I’d guess the real story is much more vanilla than that. Like Amazon delivered an order to the wrong address and landlord opened it, saw a mystery bag of cat litter (which isn’t OP’s), and is now convinced that OP has been violating the no-pet clause.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

OP posted:

To be clear, none of this has been related to holiday gifts. These are simply things they want to do and have and do not want to pay for. We actually sent them on a nice vacation as a surprise for their recent anniversary. We 100% would chip on on a birthday/ holiday gift if that was the plan.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mx. posted:

this is like some Ricky from TPB poo poo

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

this is like some Ricky from TPB poo poo

Some years ago my friend decided to jump on this crowdsourcing bandwagon, and asked me what I thought of his idea: with the funds provided, he would travel to certain parts of Japan and germany, places he had been in the past, but cannot afford another trip to, and in these places he would interview local gamers to find out how they were perceived in their country. That was it. He was going to be gone for a few months, and this was years before tiktok was around, but around the time someone got several grand for making a peanut butter sandwich video or something?

I think he got maybe a hundred bucks donated from various family members instead of getting him a Christmas gift that year. He was extremely bummed down, and I remember how angry he got when I told him his idea was stupid because he got on the bandwagon far too late, and even if he hadn't, no one was going to pay some random white dude to travel abroad to interview people.

He seems to be rather late and grabbing on to all of these trends, but honestly unless you are a very savvy 20 something year old, and especially an attractive one, it's highly unlikely your idea is going to go viral or you're going to end up with a million followers and become internet popular.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
so that's a no on the peanut butter sandwich video then?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

About a decade ago a bunch of my friends did a thing where we would all buy somebody one part of a PC for their birthday and then they would assemble them all together, and then did that for everybody's birthday so the end result was we all got new computers but got to spread the cost of it over an entire year instead of paying out of pocket all at once. It owned.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ravenfood posted:

She most certainly did not. Well, she did in theory, but couldn't apply it to this concept.

It's not an infrequent occurrence.
A whole ago I read that something like one- third of all medical procedures that have to be redone are because the patient refused to follow medical advice for recovery (it accompanied a story about a teenager who, a few days after having an eye operation and being told to spend the next week quietly resting at home, went on a roller coaster). If you have any other stories like this I'm all ears.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

trickybiscuits posted:

A whole ago I read that something like one- third of all medical procedures that have to be redone are because the patient refused to follow medical advice for recovery (it accompanied a story about a teenager who, a few days after having an eye operation and being told to spend the next week quietly resting at home, went on a roller coaster). If you have any other stories like this I'm all ears.

That seems high, but at the same time, my dad would only follow about half the things after a medical procedure. "Drink plenty of fluids and no alcohol? OJ and vodka is a fluid!"

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
It’s not a high estimate. Most of the stories are too sad and boring for this thread though.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
yeah like if your doctor gives you these pills to take every day and says that if you don't take those pills you'll have a stroke

you'll never guess what happened

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

edgeman83 posted:

AITA for going topless at a nude beach in front of friends?

Nude beaches result in the best drama!

This is the story of my Zapruder video

Ten years ago

In our early 20s, we all lived very close to this island that we could take a ferry to for pocket change. On the island were some rocky cliffs that you could climb down with a beach at the bottom. It was usually pretty deserted because the entrance was hard to find, it wasn't marked, and you needed to be in good physical shape to actually get down the cliffs.

We would go every weekend during the summer and hang out, drink, smoke weed. The ladies of our group would almost always go topless. They enjoyed the taboo aspect and the lack of tanlines and I cannot deny that I was a fan of boobs everywhere. My girlfriend was usually present and cool with the whole thing, as she was the first one to go topless and kind of inspired the rest of them to do it as well once they realized it was no big deal and the guys don't actually stare once the novelty of "Wow, Boobs!" goes away quickly.

The exception

My friend Cal moved to our city with his new girlfriend Gia, who none of us had ever met before. Cal was pretty close with about 50% of our group who had known him from university and other travels. We told them we were going to this beach, and I warned them that it was quite likely that all of the other 8 girls in our group would end up topless at some point. Cal had been to plenty of beaches like this before, and Gia said it'd be fine.

It was not fine.

She never said anything but it was quite obvious that she resented the fact that the other girls were topless. They invited her to do it as well but she refused and said it was illegal (it was not) and that it was 'unfair' that she was the only woman still wearing her top. Not sure how it was unfair, she could have done what she wanted, or left. She just got kind of pouty and resentful, but we had quickly figured out she was kind of pouty and resentful all the time so didn't really care too much.

Anyway, for the hell of it we're just joking around and filming this Austin Powers style video where the nudity is covered by random items - we had brought lots of picnic food and there were fruit trees everywhere. Obviously it wasn't perfect and there were still plenty of nudity in the video but everyone consented ahead of time and we were going to edit out the 'mistakes' and add music before we ever shared it with anyone.

While we were doing this, Gia went down to the water on her own. When we finished filming the video, Gia starts screaming her head off. We rush down to her and see that her whole leg is gashed open on the coral really badly. There is blood everywhere. We have to carry her up the cliffs and bring her to the hospital to get stitches.

One month later

Some of our friends were helping me edit this video. Now that it is on my big computer screen you can see quite clearly that Gia is in the background by the water. We see her pick up a big sharp piece of coral, look around for witnesses, and then slash her leg right the gently caress open with it on purpose. My friend (her boyfriend) had the most horrified look on his face when he saw the extent she would go through to prevent him from seeing boobs.

They're married now.

Three years later

Among our friends who always went to that beach was Rachel. Rachel had infamously huge boobs. She eventually had a surgery and got a reduction. Shortly afterwards she met her boyfriend who became her fiance. He was quite aware of the beach trips and would go with us.

One day someone mentions Rachel's (previously) massive rack. He had no idea that she had a reduction. He knows we sometimes take pics/videos at the beach and he immediately asks in a 'joking' manner if we have any of her before the operation. I do have them on my computer, and mentioned I did, but that I cannot share them without the express permission of Rachel, and that if she is ever uncomfortable with me having them then I will delete them right away. He asks her permission and she says she's kind of embarrassed by them and she doesn't want him to see. He FLIPS OUT and tries to destroy my computer to destroy the evidence because if he can't see, then no one can.

Luckily that was the last night he was the fiance.

Five years later

Party at my house. We mention the story of Rachel's idiot ex and how he went loving psycho because people had seen his girlfriend's tits. Another member of our little group was Lia, who was here with her new boyfriend. As we are laughing about the story, he asks 'jokingly' if we still have the pics. It is confirmed that we do. He gets all weird and asks to see them and I tell him the same thing - if Lia wants to share them, she can, otherwise they remain hidden. He was angry because I had seen his girlfriend topless years before they even met, but he had not seen mine topless, so he needed to see the pics to be 'fair'. I tell him to drop it and move on.

Four hours later I wake up in the middle of the night from the couch and walk back into my bedroom to find This loving Dude trawling through my computer's multiple hard drives on a desperate search to find these loving pictures. Lia ends up dumping him.

Two whole relationships and also one that SHOULD have ended, all because of a day at the topless beach. Beware.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

One month later

Some of our friends were helping me edit this video. Now that it is on my big computer screen you can see quite clearly that Gia is in the background by the water. We see her pick up a big sharp piece of coral, look around for witnesses, and then slash her leg right the gently caress open with it on purpose. My friend (her boyfriend) had the most horrified look on his face when he saw the extent she would go through to prevent him from seeing boobs.

They're married now.

Forgive the rudeness of these questions:

Does she know that all of you, (including her now husband), saw her self-harm? Did he, or indeed anyone else, ever talk to her about it? As in why would she do such a thing? Is she still friends with the ladies who so brazenly tried to tempt/scandalize her now husband with their boobs?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My topless beach story:

We were high school students on a trip to Nice. We went to the beach, a couple of women went topless. That's it. Surprisingly zero drama.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I love the cursed picture drama, it seems like a good way to quickly weed out those weird possessive guys

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

This is the story of my Zapruder video

Two whole relationships and also one that SHOULD have ended, all because of a day at the topless beach. Beware.

:eyepop:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I have no desire to ever go to the local nude beach for a whole bunch of reasons, ranging from body image issues to the fact that I know my aunt and uncle are there all the time in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Grapes! bringing the harvest in for us to stomp on