Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Magic Survival seems neat, even with the shaky translation, but the minutes section of the timer being perfectly covered by my phone's front camera is a little unfortunate.

Ah yes another pixel 5 haver I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

kinda wish there was more to 20 minutes til dawn. it looks very pretty and its a nice twist on the magic survivors genre but it only took me a handful of runs to realise you just need to get saccade early so you can farm xp easier, then freeze and the perk that makes enemies shoot bullets on death and youre largely good to just farm for the rest of the run. i did have a funny one though where i got the starting characters "triple the next upgrade" perk, then picked up splinters as the next perk while using the grenade launcher, so every enemy that died was spawning 9 bomblets and making the screen shake really violently

I hope one day brotato comes to mobile. Of course it hasn't even had its open beta so I imagine it would be a while at best.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

quite stretched out posted:

kinda wish there was more to 20 minutes til dawn. it looks very pretty and its a nice twist on the magic survivors genre but it only took me a handful of runs to realise you just need to get saccade early so you can farm xp easier, then freeze and the perk that makes enemies shoot bullets on death and youre largely good to just farm for the rest of the run. i did have a funny one though where i got the starting characters "triple the next upgrade" perk, then picked up splinters as the next perk while using the grenade launcher, so every enemy that died was spawning 9 bomblets and making the screen shake really violently

I find using the character that shoots lightning when you do damage and the smgs then just upgrading lighting and shoot speed as much as possible walks through the game.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Renegret posted:

Ah yes another pixel 5 haver I see.

I have a pixel 2 xl but just bought a pixel 5 to replace it...

Is this a common issue with games and the pixel 5?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Trastion posted:

I have a pixel 2 xl but just bought a pixel 5 to replace it...

Is this a common issue with games and the pixel 5?

That was the only game I had a problem with the pixel 5.

Then I accidentally fell into a pool and toasted that phone, so I no longer have it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Renegret posted:

That was the only game I had a problem with the pixel 5.

Then I accidentally fell into a pool and toasted that phone, so I no longer have it.

Cool, was hoping I just didn't upgrade to a bad phone. I'm just hoping it works better than my 2 xl. Its been a good phone but doesn't get good signal anymore in a lot of areas that my work phone does so I know its a phone issue and not a service issue.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Shwqa posted:

I hope one day brotato comes to mobile. Of course it hasn't even had its open beta so I imagine it would be a while at best.

lmao this game looks sick

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

RodShaft posted:

I find using the character that shoots lightning when you do damage and the smgs then just upgrading lighting and shoot speed as much as possible walks through the game.

I'm just about done with 20 Minutes (Have like two more runs on Darkness 15 to wrap up all the achievements) and honestly, pretty much everything can walk through the game unless you're trying a couple of the gimmicks, like pacifist.

Once you realize that there's really only 2-3 builds and it all kind of converges on screen-clearing bullet spam, it's just trivial. Saccade is a crutch for early Darkness levels and drops off later, summons are generally mediocre unless you go all-in on them with Lilith, and everything else is just synergistic bullet spam.

All in all, I've certainly gotten some playtime out of it, but it's not really that great a game. It's super repetitive, there's only like two minutes worth of the 20-minute runs that are potentially challenging, and there's just not a lot of variety. Most of the characters play basically the same by the end. The weapon variety is... okay, but also all kind of just converge into room-filling spam.

I did discover that if you get enough size/fire rate increases on the flamethrower it breaks the particle effects, though!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Nighthand posted:

I'm just about done with 20 Minutes (Have like two more runs on Darkness 15 to wrap up all the achievements) and honestly, pretty much everything can walk through the game unless you're trying a couple of the gimmicks, like pacifist.

Once you realize that there's really only 2-3 builds and it all kind of converges on screen-clearing bullet spam, it's just trivial. Saccade is a crutch for early Darkness levels and drops off later, summons are generally mediocre unless you go all-in on them with Lilith, and everything else is just synergistic bullet spam.

All in all, I've certainly gotten some playtime out of it, but it's not really that great a game. It's super repetitive, there's only like two minutes worth of the 20-minute runs that are potentially challenging, and there's just not a lot of variety. Most of the characters play basically the same by the end. The weapon variety is... okay, but also all kind of just converge into room-filling spam.

I did discover that if you get enough size/fire rate increases on the flamethrower it breaks the particle effects, though!

Pacifist I used grenades and my clone and the rune that makes the 6 shot pentagram to get through the early bit. Then just did a summon build.

I like trying to make gimmick builds work so I've probs got more fun out of it than it deserves(while doing worse at it than I should) but also it just eats battery (pixel 6 pro) so I play it like one good game before my battery is low enough that I'm worried for the rest of the day.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Slice and Dice 2.0 just dropped.

patch notes posted:

Huge update, so much has changed.

+40 new heroes (including alternate t1 heroes)
+11 new modes
+213 new items
+23 new monsters (including 5 bosses)
+52 new keywords
+175 new blessings/curses (+474 more kinda)
+80 new achievements
+20,000 more heroes???
More events (like challenge)
Almanac expanded & improved

Much more, check patch notes in-game. Book->Almanac->Patch.

Holy moly that's a lot of new content.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

Slice and Dice 2.0 just dropped..

Thanks! I was just thinking of posting it here. The game did pretty well in 1.0 and I wanted to improve it a bit before releasing on more platforms. I didn't intend to do this much but it's been fun working on it :)

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Gentleman Baller posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awesome

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Gentleman Baller posted:

I played quite a bit of the beta, and yes, this is a big generational leap. As good as 1.0 was, this addresses many of the balance issues that were in it, dramatically expands the playable cast, and gives you so much more to do even after you've got a handle on the core Classic engine.

There's a mode that generates randomized character classes (as in, coming up with crazy combinations on all six sides, not randomizing selection of base classes) that is maddeningly fun. You will get _so close_ to a break-the-game-over-your-knee synergy so many times and need just one more piece to succeed, even on Easy, but the random factor will keep you trying again.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Tann posted:

Thanks! I was just thinking of posting it here. The game did pretty well in 1.0 and I wanted to improve it a bit before releasing on more platforms. I didn't intend to do this much but it's been fun working on it :)

Here's to hundreds more hours :cheers:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Gentleman Baller posted:

Oh dang I do not have time for thisright now!! I guess I'm going to lose more sleep to just 'one more turn'!!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
God, I forgot how much I miss these dice sounds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, and I just started playing it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tann posted:

Pillow is not working the way I expect it to on gambler. I also have twin daggers equipped which may be not interacting the way I want?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

leper khan posted:

Pillow is not working the way I expect it to on gambler. I also have twin daggers equipped which may be not interacting the way I want?

Cantrip counts as a "use" in every way except for exhausting the dice. It's pretty good on gambler without daggers, or with exert sides.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Also I tried the most damaged enemy gets knocked back thinking it wouldn't be so bad and got completely wrecked. :negative:

GOTY again, thanks for update. :thumbsup:

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

leper khan posted:

Also I tried the most damaged enemy gets knocked back thinking it wouldn't be so bad and got completely wrecked. :negative:

GOTY again, thanks for update. :thumbsup:

That curse should maybe be a 5 or a 6, but I think it's fun and wanted it to appear on hard mode :D

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tann posted:

Cantrip counts as a "use" in every way except for exhausting the dice. It's pretty good on gambler without daggers, or with exert sides.

My favorite interaction with this is that copycat will copy cantrips.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Gentleman Baller posted:

Oh dang time to jump back in

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Gentleman Baller posted:

well this bodes poorly for my work ethic

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

12 damage to 2 targets on a cantrip :rms:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

What is the purpose of Statue?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Statue has like, triple the health of all the other tier 2 classes and so basically never dies. Any enemy attacks going at the statue are basically completely wasted.

And yeah, by itself that's underwhelming, but if you get a handful of items that grant sides and stick those on the statue he can actually be a really good unit.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ah, cool! Never thought of it that way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah Statue is there for stuff like the longsword, which is kind of a questionable proposition on most other characters, but is incredibly good on it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
On the topic of "how do I use weird poo poo in Slice & Dice", what's a good use for the Bowl? It seems like you want to layer it over something with a passive benefit that also gives penalties to some sides so you don't get the penalties. But I haven't come across any such items, I usually only see ones that penalize some sides and buff others, at which point the bowl just negates the whole item.

edit: shortly after posting I claimed my first Hard victory, my last surviving party member and the dragon that killed the rest both succumbed to ludicrous amounts of poison at once... ties go to the player it seems!

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 6, 2022

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is there any way to back up your game in Slice & Dice? I had unlocked most stuff previously, but I guess that is gone on a reinstall.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

incogneato posted:

Is there any way to back up your game in Slice & Dice? I had unlocked most stuff previously, but I guess that is gone on a reinstall.

There is an unlock everything button in the settings

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

GetDunked posted:

On the topic of "how do I use weird poo poo in Slice & Dice", what's a good use for the Bowl? It seems like you want to layer it over something with a passive benefit that also gives penalties to some sides so you don't get the penalties. But I haven't come across any such items, I usually only see ones that penalize some sides and buff others, at which point the bowl just negates the whole item.

There are a few items like that like tattered robes or rusty plate. It really shines in curse modes where it reverts blank curses iirc

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

incogneato posted:

You can also copy your achievements to the clipboard and paste them into the game as a transfer mechanism.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

RoboCicero posted:

There are a few items like that like tattered robes or rusty plate. It really shines in curse modes where it reverts blank curses iirc

Oh, that makes sense. Usually I'm using tattered robes to patch up a mage's blank right sides. I tend to avoid the curses that mess with die faces too so I've never seen that come up. Thanks for the explanation!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Is there a Slice and Dice thread? I just got an item that "can't be locked" and don't seem to see the definition in the almanac. It seemed to prohibit me from using that die in a later turn.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is there a Slice and Dice thread? I just got an item that "can't be locked" and don't seem to see the definition in the almanac. It seemed to prohibit me from using that die in a later turn.

Yeah, it's in a different subforum because the game is also available on desktop.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295

"Can't be locked" as in you can't keep that dice and reroll the others.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

since I can't seem to find an Android platform thread.

Is the pixel 7 going to be a trash heap or are pixels decent. last I looked at pixels the 3's were all the rage but My carrier didnt' have them. I'm due for an upgrade and can nab it for $100 with no trade in or anything (I'm on a legacy business plan that actually still does this poo poo)
I'd be coming from an S20+

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
as far as i know every brand of cellphone is still a featureless black rectangle with varying levels of cpu strength and varying amounts of annoying preinstalled crap from the manufacturer
google cuts out the annoying preinstalled crap and as a 'flagship' phone it should be powerful enough hardware-specs-wise to do anything you would want to do with a phone so go for it imo

for a more nuanced take from nerds who care about the difference between 12 megazots and 18 microzangles on a phone camera you can check one of these IYG threads
Android Thread
Recommend me a Phone

from the android thread it sounds like the review embargo will end on the 12th so if you want a real answer wait till then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahh thanks I was looking in shsc not iyg I forget that iyg exists.