Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Nate RFB posted:

I dislike interacting with Retroarch in the best of times but I'm finding myself very frustrated with it further after running Emudeck. For whatever reason I can't get any overrides to stick (such as shaders or hotkey settings) and have to reset them every time I launch a core, which feels like the config files not getting written to properly. I also can't "clear" some binds such as the hotkey enable setting, which is making setting up everything in that menu a hassle (and since no settings are persistent from the earlier issue that is a problem here too).

Retroarch is dumb and there are a couple things going on here:

First, core overrides have lower precedence than folder overrides, which is how Emudeck sets things up. So you'll need to do it as a content directory override.
Second, the main retroarch .cfg apparently can't be updated when overrides are loaded, so you'll have to open retroarch by itself or close the running emulator.

Also, shaders and hotkeys have their own config files and have to be saved separately; they're called presets and remaps respectively.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nice

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

RBA Starblade posted:

My Steam Deck will be here Sunday lmao

Is the op accurate to date for emulating everything in existence?

This is the step by step I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-AhbSuBpw

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

I've been out of pc gaming for a decade but I have a question that I don't think has been asked recently in this thread?

What do you do with the shitton of steam points ordering a steam deck gets you? Do you just buy stupid random poo poo for your profile?

I want to know if I should just blow them arbitrarily or not since I sprung for the expensive deck. Or are they destined to just collect dust?

Don't listen to those other guys; if you collect the most steam points you win Steam.

Coolness Averted posted:

Interesting, so were both of your boxes the ones with logos and stuff that made it clear it was a steam deck? Or relatively non descript but with a upc that still identifies it as a steamdeck from valve? I got the latter, so like if someone looked close they'd see what it was. I'd read some of the earlier shipments were way more obvious.

I could take a photo if requested, but I'd describe them as the latter; long rectangular brown boxes with some icons, only 2 of which (companion cube and official Dreck logo) are remotely Steam-connected, and are pretty esoteric at that. The Fedex label lists "from Valve corp" and there is a "contents: steam dreck" on it. So it's something that I could identify at a glance, if I saw one on someone else's doorstep, but nobody who doesn't already know what the Dreck is would be able to figure out what was in there.

And to reiterate, one of those was from the earliest shipments, and one from the most recent. I'm not doubting the other guy claiming he got different packaging, just commenting that it won't be everyone's experience.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
What's up with the "Dreck" thing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

It’s funny.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Never got delivered yesterday. Now allegedly in the third evri hub since Thursday.
Not sure where any of these hubs have been.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Osmosisch posted:

Its what everyone's calling it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

That's what they actually named this thing. Can't believe it myself but it's true.

This guy gets it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

why are the forums called "something awful?" that doesn't seem like a very good name!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Judging by the rate of fulfillment the last few email batches and where the queues are at, it appears we're now more or less in the area where if you order a steam deck right now, you'll most likely have your order fulfilled in the next batch. The only tracked queue that's not quite caught up is the EU 64GB one. Valve is most likely going to disable the queue system entirely soon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man the default settings for the right stick(and the right track pad for that matter) are terrible for most of the games I've tried that use it, going to be a real pain in the rear end figuring out the right settings for that if I want to play anything that's a shooter, particularly when I have no interest in using the gyro controls for that kind of thing(it's just too awkward when it's a huge thing like the steam deck)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Skrill.exe posted:

Why's that?

Because the slider is gone in the quick menu to switch between 40 and 60. It is only supposed to be gone when using an external display. Valve is aware and will patch it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Steam Deck arrived! I have it!

The vent smelled nice!

Return to Monkey Island runs really well and looks nice, although it did require switching to proton-experimental which is a bit weird seeing as it's listed as "this runs really well on the Deck".

I won't get much use out of the Deck until I get glasses though, I have to hold it at pretty much full arm's length to see the screen properly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This popped up in my Twitter feed.

Which one of you is this?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How can you tell if any given sd card can work with the deck? It uses micro sd right?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How can you tell if any given sd card can work with the deck? It uses micro sd right?

Yep, any microSD card will work though you’ll probably need to format it for the system. Once you put one in there should be an option in the storage settings to format it. I’m using a regular Sandisk 256gb I had lying around.

Also I brought my deck to work and played DOA5 on my lunch break. Excellent stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

parasyte posted:

Retroarch is dumb and there are a couple things going on here:

First, core overrides have lower precedence than folder overrides, which is how Emudeck sets things up. So you'll need to do it as a content directory override.
Second, the main retroarch .cfg apparently can't be updated when overrides are loaded, so you'll have to open retroarch by itself or close the running emulator.

Also, shaders and hotkeys have their own config files and have to be saved separately; they're called presets and remaps respectively.
Finally think I found the order of operations I needed, there might be some added steps but going Shader Apply->Save Core->Save Directory, then Override Save Core->Save Directory, and THEN doing a Save->New Config in the main Retroarch menu finally makes it seem to stick consistently. What was really frustrating is that some cores would save fine in the middle of all of this and some wouldn't. No idea why it's so much more finicky than a desktop installation.

That said I'm still stuck on the previous issue of not being able to clear the hotkey binds (as in, "---" in the field). In desktop there are few buttons or key combos that seem to do this but bringing up the deck's keyboard doesn't seem to do it. I wonder if I can find the .cfg file manually and then go on an adventure in desktop mode to edit it there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that makes it way easier, thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Well that makes it way easier, thanks!

emudeck has received a number of updates since that video (from May) so it may not go exactly the same but the idea is the same. It really is as easy as just downloading to desktop and going through the install process. It's still script based which makes some people mad and the uninstall script was broken for a good while (fixed as of a couple of weeks ago) but it's the simplest and most thorough one stop solution for all emulation. They're working on a proper install application with nicer menus and pretty graphics which should be out soon. You can see the beta setup coming up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBf15Z2xoiY

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New beta update fixed the missing Refresh Rate bar. Quick turnaround.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

is it just me or is there an irritating UI bug on the non-steam game tab where if you select a game to play but then exit back to the non-steam game page, you can no longer select a different game with the d-pad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

is it just me or is there an irritating UI bug on the non-steam game tab where if you select a game to play but then exit back to the non-steam game page, you can no longer select a different game with the d-pad.

This happens to me too, I thought I was going nuts. Usually press B a couple times until I’m able to select things again normally.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Osmosisch posted:

Some folks in the Nintendo thread are salty about the Deck, well, existing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

Man the default settings for the right stick(and the right track pad for that matter) are terrible for most of the games I've tried that use it,
You're not wrong, but switching to Gamepad+Mouse Trackpad template is all you need to do in most shooters, and for the handful where that doesn't work correctly, using the Keyboard+Mouse template works instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Some folks in the Nintendo thread are salty

The Nintendo thread has people who rage whenever a third party game is shown during a Nintendo Direct though. Nintendo fan areas are as usual, ridiculous. Though I do see fairly regularly Deck fans trying to wind up Switch owners like with the Yakuza thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

Because the slider is gone in the quick menu to switch between 40 and 60. It is only supposed to be gone when using an external display. Valve is aware and will patch it.
Ugh, why, there exists displays where it works!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ps2 retroachievements available on pcsx2 now apparently

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Some folks in the Nintendo thread are salty about the Deck, well, existing.

No they aren’t.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah people in the switch thread are just salty in general, not about anything in particular

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How do you customize the art for non Steam games in game mode? I gave everything custom backgrounds and icons in desktop mode but still just gray blobs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

How do you customize the art for non Steam games in game mode? I gave everything custom backgrounds and icons in desktop mode but still just gray blobs

I don’t think you can do it in Game mode.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you set custom art in desktop mode it should carry over to game mode for sure but it might take a restart i think

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It was literally Stux posting variations of "Steam Dreck" in this thread daily for a few weeks.

This Deck/Switch competition/fanboy thing is weird as poo poo for a bunch of thirty and forty-year-olds. Both devices own, both serve largely different functions, and more competition is always good.

e: Anyway haven't really tested it yet, but I got the FSR 2.0 thing installed for Cyberpunk, and it looks like it's active! I bought the GOG version awhile back but hopefully it'll still work fine even without the Steam shaders.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
All I know is I can play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD on the deck, and can't on the switch.

Keep winning, gaben

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

emudeck has received a number of updates since that video (from May) so it may not go exactly the same but the idea is the same. It really is as easy as just downloading to desktop and going through the install process. It's still script based which makes some people mad and the uninstall script was broken for a good while (fixed as of a couple of weeks ago) but it's the simplest and most thorough one stop solution for all emulation. They're working on a proper install application with nicer menus and pretty graphics which should be out soon. You can see the beta setup coming up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBf15Z2xoiY

You can try the beta version of it now. It's on Github. I ran through and updated all mine with it. It's definitely nicer than the script version.

https://github.com/EmuDeck/emudeck-electron

Just go to releases and grab the newest one and run it in Desktop mode.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can the person who was posting long technical dives give a few bullet points for practical tips for the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

if you set custom art in desktop mode it should carry over to game mode for sure but it might take a restart i think

It shouldn’t need a restart but you do need to do it all in desktop mode.