Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Nordick posted:

And then they restricted replies to the tweet right after the first person pointed out how incredibly wrong they were. Jesus loving christ, these people.

listen, I'm not here to have internet arguments. I'm here to poop my hot take on the public billboard of the internet and waft it's stink in the face of everyone around me, and then gleefully exclaim how I don't care what anyone thinks about said take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

SexyBlindfold posted:

The current status of the IP question hasn't been clarified, but it could very well end up with Za/um being entitled to the name Disco Elysium itself and little more.

Anyway,
https://twitter.com/TravelSizeTrish/status/1576648773648154624

This makes the third random dev with a Blizzard background I've seen tut-tutting at all rabid fans with their ~auteur theory~.
I looked it up and the accussations are bunk, by the way. "Barely brandished any notable work" is outright litigable.

Oh look at who replied to this hot take :allears:

https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576779197321687040

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mods rename me Robert Hitler drinking vodka with pepsi cola

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ah, black flag in the handle, now it makes sense. Twitter really feels like it hit a groove it hasn't moved from years ago

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can’t think of many more ultraliberal things than employing progressive arguments (critiques of auteur theory) to make reactionary, anti-worker points (workers are inessential and easily replaced)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Holy poo poo it’s like satire

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Baiting Kurvitz and Hindpere into replying to this poo poo would be a great way to paint them as "difficult to work with". Not having a twitter account proves to be one of the better life choices you could make, yet again.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Going by the quote tweets ZA/UM has a lot of either haters or super fans in Spanish speaking countries

What the hell is auteur theory anyway, sounds like something eggheads made up to explain why Kojima keeps getting away with everything. Now it's become associated with this stuff in my head. NO!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Going by the quote tweets ZA/UM has a lot of either haters or super fans in Spanish speaking countries

What the hell is auteur theory anyway, sounds like something eggheads made up to explain why Kojima keeps getting away with everything. Now it's become associated with this stuff in my head. NO!

it's the idea that the defining properties or philosophies of a work are dependent on its creative lead(s). kojima is a go-to example because, for better or worse, no other games have quite the same presentation or aesthetic as the ones he's in charge of

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

What the hell is auteur theory anyway,

It’s from film critique, the idea that the director is the major creative force in making the movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think a single person on Twitter or this thread has any goddamn idea what auteur theory is. Truffaut came up with it while he was at Cahiers basing it on Bazins previous thinking on criticism and then it got popularized by Serris on the US couple years later.

Truffaut original essay is something like " a certain tendency in French cinema" or something to that effecct

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

I can’t think of many more ultraliberal things than employing progressive arguments (critiques of auteur theory) to make reactionary, anti-worker points (workers are inessential and easily replaced)

I'd say using workers past "Pro-Russia" stance and left-leaning politics to defend stripping them of their livelihood, and declaring that anyone questioning the actions taken by your bosses to be deliberately out to cause harm to the workers themselves to all be pretty ultraliberal too in a kinda retro vaporwave throwback way tbh

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think a single person on Twitter or this thread has any goddamn idea what auteur theory is. Truffaut came up with it while he was at Cahiers basing it on Bazins previous thinking on criticism and then it got popularized by Serris on the US couple years later.

Truffaut original essay is something like " a certain tendency in French cinema" or something to that effecct

clearly, it's a case of "death of the auteur"

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Epic High Five posted:

Auteur Theory is a film (originally) theory that views the director as the paramount creative behind a film, more so than writers, actors, producers, etc. The director is the author (auteur) of the movie and it’s his singular vision.

This idea came about because of directors with a strong and distinctive style with recurring themes and references, like Hitchcock. This has been extended to other media, like games.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, they're using it to make the argument of "the intellectual property is more important than the people who made it!" and that is making me deeply uncomfortable. Seeing what are essentially Disney corp talking points but painted to look like leftist ideology is one of the most evil things I've seen in the indie dev scene

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Epic High Five posted:

who gets the "credit" as the creative force behind a work is kind of a matter of social convention OP. if you think of music, classical music gets "credited" to the composer, while most popular music gets credited to the performers (and for capital-p Pop music, the vocalist). or electronic music where most of it gets credited to the producer/dj except hip-hop which tends to go to the MC. even though a ton of people were involved in creating these things, we generally like viewing art as the product of a specific creative mind (or a small group) because that's just kind of what our conception of art is. there's no law anywhere that says we need to view films by centering film directors but it ends up being a useful way to look at things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason it comes from film criticism and a reason I posted the name of the essay.

http://www.newwavefilm.com/about/a-certain-tendency-of-french-cinema-truffaut.shtml

I'll even post a translation

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SexyBlindfold posted:

The current status of the IP question hasn't been clarified, but it could very well end up with Za/um being entitled to the name Disco Elysium itself and little more.

Anyway,
https://twitter.com/TravelSizeTrish/status/1576648773648154624

This makes the third random dev with a Blizzard background I've seen tut-tutting at all rabid fans with their ~auteur theory~.
I looked it up and the accussations are bunk, by the way. "Barely brandished any notable work" is outright litigable.

lmao muting it because "the brigade showing up" when the brigade is literally just one of the creators and one other dude who was mildly critical

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thanks for the answers, but I unfortunately must classify all that as brainiac stuff. Time to take a cue from my hero, Contact Mike, and call up the boss of capitalism so I can give them a sound, by the books thrashing in honorable combat

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Read this tweet without going hollow challenge (Impossible)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pirate Jet posted:

Blankspace posted:

I'd say using workers past "Pro-Russia" stance and left-leaning politics to defend stripping them of their livelihood, and declaring that anyone questioning the actions taken by your bosses to be deliberately out to cause harm to the workers themselves to all be pretty ultraliberal too in a kinda retro vaporwave throwback way tbh

Both of these seem far more moralist to me, I don't think ultras would bother with excuses.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
galaxy brain

https://twitter.com/PunishedVoryn/status/1577089304307736576

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Wanna guess how many tweets down that guy's timeline you have to go before he blames the downfall of western civilization on the jews?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody terrorized that bar more than I did

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Wanna guess how many tweets down that guy's timeline you have to go before he blames the downfall of western civilization on the jews?

haha holy poo poo did you nail this guy

https://twitter.com/search?q=%7Bfrom%3A%40PunishedVoryn%7D%20Jews&src=typed_query&f=live

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

anyone who restricts replies is a coward of the lowest type

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
It somehow makes a lot of sense to me that a studio could only produce one game as weird, new, and good as Disco Elysium before collapsing in on itself, and I never really had any hopes for them to make a worthwhile followup or different game so I guess I'll just initiate a new playthrough like I've been meaning to

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Kurvitz join BioWare and write the greatest Mass Effect ever

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Just found out the news :( Hoping for the best and that they can retain their IP and world. If I had to never get another Disco game but Kurvitz et al got their IP back I'd be more than happy with that resolution.

It seems like a pretty wild stunt tbh, but hey, that's capitalism for ya.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Kurvitz join BioWare and write the greatest Mass Effect ever

This is one hell of a monkey's paw given Bioware's track record, you know that right?

e: It's also the best shot we'll probably ever have at a non-human ME protagonist, so I'm conflicted.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

This is one hell of a monkey's paw given Bioware's track record, you know that right?

Commander Shepard is helping me resolve my daddy issues

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Bloody Pom posted:

e: It's also the best shot we'll probably ever have at a non-human ME protagonist, so I'm conflicted.

Desperately looking forward to HDB recreating all the animation bugs from Andromeda.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

I guarantee you this guy does a fascist play through every time.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

Desperately looking forward to HDB recreating all the animation bugs from Andromeda.

Turns out the Jamrock Shuffle is just the broken waddling animation Andromeda was plagued with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWGANKbYrI

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

Turns out the Jamrock Shuffle is just the broken waddling animation Andromeda was plagued with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWGANKbYrI

I think Andromeda may be the polar opposite of DE. AAA game with horribly written and talcum characters created as an attempt to cargo cult the success of the original trilogy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I mean given the silence it seems to me like the most likely explanation is that it turned out that the three original leads just weren't very good at leading a team when they weren't coming in with 80% of the writing already done from a decade of work.

For there to be some nefarious slash-and-burn capitalist fund management going on they would have to represent some kind of major cost to the studio, but these were not big names on superstar salaries.

You're awful

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Gotta say, in a world full of ambiguities and unclear situations, I'm really glad a whole bunch of people took the time to go on twitter and make it clear that they are 100% the bad guys.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

King Carnivore posted:

I guarantee you this guy does a fascist play through every time.

Now why would you assume a thing like that?

https://twitter.com/punishedvoryn/status/1577126002140254209?s=46&t=g0XpFnGiszKIdEnb_RHy-g

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
protected his account already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Calling the three kicked out people pro-Russian and pro-Staliin sure is a thing.