Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hackett hired a man to tell him when to kick field goals and still didn't kick the field goal.

You don't play for the tie lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

They should.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If you take it as a given that Hackett deserves to be fired there’s still the question of who fires him? I can’t imagine Paton is eager to fire the guy that he hired after only five games. That’s basically signing your own termination papers. There’s no way you recover from that as a GM, and that’s not even getting into what a disaster the Russ trade is looking like.

So Paton has every incentive to try and keep Hackett around and hope against hope he figures poo poo out. Which means you’re probably looking at the new ownership group firing Paton too if they want to get rid of Hackett.

If you do fire Hackett you’re basically looking at Dom Capers as interim because I can’t see any other options on the staff. And you just write off the season and start over next year with a new GM who is saddled with an albatross QB contract and a third offensive/defensive system in three years.

What a mess. Probably shouldn’t have hired the incredibly unqualified guy in the first place!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

It deprived us of a team having two ties in one season! I am so disappointed!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

a neat cape posted:

:hai:

You play to win the game, except, next time you use a better play.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

There are very few situations where a team should play for a tie. I would know.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I bet they wish they tied when they hand over the 5th draft pick to Seattle instead of the 9th

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

Tonight was one of them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tonight was one of them.

I don’t think a tie really helps Hackett any more than a loss from the perspective of trying to keep his job.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think a tie really helps Hackett any more than a loss from the perspective of trying to keep his job.

What

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dude needs to win games, not bumble into ties because the other team is also absolute poo poo. Even if they’d come out of that with a tie that’s not something he can point to to explain to his boss why he should keep his job, but a win on the back of a gutsy coaching decision might be.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It couldn't be worse for him than that loss. Tie the game then try an onside kick.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

It couldn't be worse for him than that loss. Tie the game then try an onside kick.

And give the Colts the ball on a short field and give them 2 minutes to gain ten yards to get into field goal range in Denver.

Are you real

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

a neat cape posted:

And give the Colts the ball on a short field and give them 2 minutes to gain ten yards to get into field goal range in Denver.

Are you real

I mean its even odds Ryan would get sacked and pushed even further out of field goal range.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Paint Crop Pro posted:

I mean its even odds Ryan would get sacked and pushed even further out of field goal range.

The point is conceding the tie is coward poo poo and going for it (or at least the first down) was the correct call. The playcall was absolute garbage

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sometimes cowardice is the correct instinct.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sometimes cowardice is the correct instinct.

It’s a football game, not an active shooter situation.

Maybe Hackett had just seen enough and wanted it to end, and who can blame him?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a football game, not an active shooter situation.

Maybe Hackett had just seen enough and wanted it to end, and who can blame him?

Quicker the game ends, the faster we can get to breaking down the film to figure out how we got here. - Some coach will say this eventually.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I didn't see the sequence of events in the 4th quarter but I don't fault Hackett for going for it in OT. It was a bad playcall when all you needed was 1 yard.

Yeah. I already posted about it in the aftermath thread but to my (dumb, bad) eye they had a pretty free first down if they just hurried to the line and Russ dove forward before Indy was set. Instead they stood around for like 15 seconds with their dicks in their hands until the Colts realized it was a bad look and took a time out.

I have no problem at all with them going for it. The execution was high school tier. Hackett fuckin sucks lmao. But I also don't know how Russ can't diagnose that and audible to a QB sneak after 10 years in the league, unless that's just not part of their offensive vocabulary or something.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 7, 2022

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
We never got to see Brian Schottenheimer as a head coach but Hackett is really delivering on that alternate reality.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 7, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FizFashizzle posted:

One of the biggest selling points for me about Rhule was he was able to build and recruit at programs where he didn’t have access to name brand appeal and (as far as we know, Baylor) bagmen bribing people. He didn’t do great against top 25 teams but that wasn’t as big a deal for me as just putting things together.

Like the guy clearly has organizational skill but he is just completely out of his depth from a coaching a player management perspective in the nfl. And you just see it every week.

I think it was Doronin who posted once that the reason the big 12 doesn’t produce offensive linemen is since everyone is running air raid, all they need the linemen to do is get in the way and be athletic enough to line up for the next snap. It really felt for the first two seasons that Rhule thought they could outscheme other defenses and he didn’t need anyone that could actually block on the offensive line.

Turns out your scheme doesn’t matter when both DEs can blow through your line in two seconds.

He may have certain types organizational skill that allowed him to build some programs but I don’t really think that kind of skill has proven to be translatable to the NFL. The NFL is a far more level playing field in terms of access to resources and relative brand strength of teams.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Quicker the game ends, the faster we can get to breaking down the film to figure out how we got here. - Some coach will say this eventually.

They may have said it last night, if not for the fact that film should be scattered and buried in the 4 furthest corners of the Earth.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nintendo 49ers posted:

They may have said it last night, if not for the fact that film should be scattered and buried in the 4 furthest corners of the Earth.
Launch it into the sun. Its the only way.

Hackett, too. Doug Marrone Was Right.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Maybe it’s a bad idea to hire an OC who doesn’t handle playcalling to be your team’s new head coach.

:thunk:

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Holy poo poo didn't realize that he was on Denver's staff. Should have been a whole lot of red flags and alarms going off about poor decision making the second Hackett came to the front office and asked to add Dom loving Capers to his staff.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Holy poo poo didn't realize that he was on Denver's staff. Should have been a whole lot of red flags and alarms going off about poor decision making the second Hackett came to the front office and asked to add Dom loving Capers to his staff.

To be fair, he’s only a defensive assistant and the defense is the one bright spot for the Broncos so he’s not in a position to ruin anything.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Maybe it’s a bad idea to hire an OC who doesn’t handle playcalling to be your team’s new head coach.

:thunk:
This is strictly OCs that weren't their team's primary play callers from the 2021/22 hiring cycles. Any others?

Nick Sirianni
Mike McDaniel
Nathaniel Hackett
Kevin O’Connell

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Denver media is already calling for Hackett to be fired and to bring in Payton.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is strictly OCs that weren't their team's primary play callers from the 2021/22 hiring cycles. Any others?

Nick Sirianni
Mike McDaniel
Nathaniel Hackett
Kevin O’Connell

Oh poo poo.

I was thinking of Joe Philbin.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

If Manning got the HC job you know he'd make Adam Gase OC

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Forrest on Fire posted:

If Manning got the HC job you know he'd make Adam Gase OC

they're calling for sean payton not peyton manning

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

"Please come to Denver. We have an albatross at QB whose contract we can't get out of until after 2025, no draft picks next year, not a great cap situation, and a division with Mahomes and Herbert. What more could you want?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

"Please come to Denver. We have an albatross at QB whose contract we can't get out of until after 2025, no draft picks next year, not a great cap situation, and a division with Mahomes and Herbert. What more could you want?"
lol yeah, you beat to it. There are way better options for Payton.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

Tom Brady. He will solve all those problems!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How would Denver even acquire paytons rights, they'd need a haul of picks or players to get him from new orleans

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

a neat cape posted:

It's pretty funny Denver has a million things a coach can point to for why the team doing poorly isn't their fault, but Hackett is still loving it up badly enough to be on the chopping block.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

really queer Christmas posted:

How would Denver even acquire paytons rights, they'd need a haul of picks or players to get him from new orleans

You think the Saints could use Russ?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

I think it's at least possible the owner has an arrangement to let Payton go where he wants as a thank you for 15 years of service and a Super Bowl. Rather than put him in Megatron forced retirement status. Although billionaires are petty, vindictive fucks so who knows.

But even if that were true, yeah... if Russ is really dust now the Denver situation is radioactive. You have a dead QB on an insane contract that you can't trade or bench, and no picks to draft his replacement with. Why would you willingly walk into that? "Dump trucks full of money" but plenty of other teams will be happy to offer the same thing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I think it's at least possible the owner has an arrangement to let Payton go where he wants as a thank you for 15 years of service and a Super Bowl. Rather than put him in Megatron forced retirement status. Although billionaires are petty, vindictive fucks so who knows.

I think they’ll work with him to make it relatively painless but I’d be shocked if they didn’t seek some compensation for his rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

they're calling for sean payton not peyton manning

D'oh

That makes more sense. He won't sign onto this poo poo show.