Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Is Windows 10 probably the more stable option on Deck?

Yeah I don’t think there’s much reason to do 11 on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I read windows ran like poo poo on it and you were better off just janitoring your non-steam games unless you absolutely must play Fortnite

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Windows 11 has been running great for me. Even saw a guide on how to keep the dual-boot working through windows updates and it’s been awesome for Destiny 2 and Game Pass.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
W11 pro runs pretty nicely on mine, even from a microSD, but I only boot it up to play a game and shut it down after. In terms of general interface, and like opening launchers and poo poo, it feels as responsive to me as steamos' desktop mode. The most annoying thing is that the time is always wrong at boot and I have to go into settings and hit the sync button. Xbox app games won't launch if the clock is wrong, so that is at least one annoyance I hope to someday solve.

e: oh that was easy to fix https://itsfoss.com/wrong-time-dual-boot/

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 10, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I read windows ran like poo poo on it and you were better off just janitoring your non-steam games unless you absolutely must play Fortnite

It runs fine it just chews through the battery.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Manky posted:

W11 pro runs pretty nicely on mine, even from a microSD, but I only boot it up to play a game and shut it down after. In terms of general interface, and like opening launchers and poo poo, it feels as responsive to me as steamos' desktop mode. The most annoying thing is that the time is always wrong at boot and I have to go into settings and hit the sync button. Xbox app games won't launch if the clock is wrong, so that is at least one annoyance I hope to someday solve.

Linux and Windows read the hardware clock differently causing the discrepancy. Simplest way to do this is to make Windows use UTC

code:
So feel free to read the whole page if you want all the details, but the easy, and in my opinion best fix, is to go into Windows, open up a command prompt with Administrative Privileges, and run the following one-liner:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation" /v RealTimeIsUniversal /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f
I found this solution on reddit and it works. Literally copy/paste a line, restart and done.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Family Values posted:

I had to return the JSAUX dock because it broke HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC. Hopefully the official dock doesn't have this problem.

That happened to me too btw - we didn't notice right away, but a few days after trying the JSAUX dock we realized that the LG C1 remote suddenly could no longer control the Apple TV.

If anyone else runs into that: the fix was to remove the JSAUX stuff, unplug the TV, sound bar, and Apple TV, plug it all back in, toggle CEC off on the C! and then back on, then configure Universal Control (which turns on IR control instead of CEC), then unconfigure it so that it goes back to CEC, and finally everything was normal again

(I ended up ordering the official dock, I can maybe use the JSAUX one on the upstairs TV)

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

My stupid brain is trying to get me to get this thing, knowing I will mostly use it to tinker with settings and install new poo poo and figure poo poo out instead of actually really playing games (don't kinkshame).
Well, I will play some Caves of Qud and such, but I estimate at least 50% of my time will be tweaking settings on other games. My frugal side is telling me to instead worry about heating my home through an energy crisis but meh.. So what I'm asking is how did you convince yourself to get one and get rid of that final slither of doubt?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just buy it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I thought I was going to be in the same position but I've played more video games on my Steam Deck since I got it compared to the last year or so of gaming with a $2,000~ gaming rig I only use for VR and MSFS2020 right now. I will literally play on the Steam Deck instead of the rig, sitting right in front of it as it plays a movie or YouTube.

Also the tinkering is fun so get it just for that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sterf posted:

My stupid brain is trying to get me to get this thing, knowing I will mostly use it to tinker with settings and install new poo poo and figure poo poo out instead of actually really playing games (don't kinkshame).
Well, I will play some Caves of Qud and such, but I estimate at least 50% of my time will be tweaking settings on other games. My frugal side is telling me to instead worry about heating my home through an energy crisis but meh.. So what I'm asking is how did you convince yourself to get one and get rid of that final slither of doubt?

Do you want to be able to play your Steam library on the toilet or not?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is the mid-tier version worth an extra 130 bucks? How much faster is the faster storage?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If I’d known how easy it was to swap the SSDs I probably would have bought the 64GB and a separate 1TB SSD.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If I’d known how easy it was to swap the SSDs I probably would have bought the 64GB and a separate 1TB SSD.

:same:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I only recommend the 512 if you plan on leaving the house with the deck but you could also just get a matte protector.

The $399 deck is an outstanding value

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Done

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sterf posted:

Last night was a picturesque fall evening, so I started a fire on the deck (propane rocks, I don’t want embers or smoke near this thing), plopped down in the hanging cloth chair, and gave Final Fantasy VI PR a go. It was cozy as hell. I stayed up way too late because I got like 5 hours of battery life with that game. It will seriously change your gaming habits. It’s been an absolute treat so far and well worth the price of admission.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ragequit posted:

Last night was a picturesque fall evening, so I started a fire on the deck (propane rocks, I don’t want embers or smoke near this thing), plopped down in the hanging cloth chair, and gave Final Fantasy VI PR a go. It was cozy as hell. I stayed up way too late because I got like 5 hours of battery life with that game. It will seriously change your gaming habits. It’s been an absolute treat so far and well worth the price of admission.

You shouldn't start fires on the Deck.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Ragequit posted:

Have you messed around with the other pixel remasters? I’ve never played any of those old Final Fantasy games and not sure if I want to do it that way or the original versions.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

You shouldn't start fires on the Deck.

Lmao I completely missed that. Yes, please do not sit on, or start fires on, your Steam Deck. Leave that for wooden decks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly I only recommend the 512 if you plan on leaving the house with the deck but you could also just get a matte protector.

The $399 deck is an outstanding value

256 is The Way or, if you really believe in SD cards, the 64 is fine. 512 is unnecessary.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Consummate Professional posted:

Have you messed around with the other pixel remasters? I’ve never played any of those old Final Fantasy games and not sure if I want to do it that way or the original versions.

I picked up V so I could run through the Four Job Fiesta from time to time. The music remixes are solid. I haven’t noticed a ton of graphics updates other than battle effects, but those look good as well. I think FFV and FFVI hold up really well. I’d give them a shot for the price they are asking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was actually surprised when I looked at Final Fantasy games on the store and saw they're all either verified or playable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

I was actually surprised when I looked at Final Fantasy games on the store and saw they're all either verified or playable.

And one of them is still like $95 Canadian, ridiculously.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

njsykora posted:

I think you can play 1-15 on the Deck without issue, including FF7R. 15 is the least likely to run well I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

And one of them is still like $95 Canadian, ridiculously.
Always wait for sales, I'm for sure grabbing the FF13 trilogy either during the Autumn Sale or whenever Square Enix next has a publisher weekend sale.

jokes posted:

I think you can play 1-15 on the Deck without issue, including FF7R. 15 is the least likely to run well I guess.
Yeah they made a big deal when FF7R came out that it was verified day one and even gave recommended Deck settings.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Sterf posted:

Can confirm that Caves Of Qud works great (the devs made a custom control scheme for the deck), but have you considered that it is also the ideal platform for Vampire Survivors and New Vegas? (I’m serious, 90% of my deck time is those two games).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Honestly, I would have just gotten a 64GB and upgrade the SSD had I known it was easy to do. The screen protector I have isn't even matte so there goes that benefit of my 512GB purchase, also with the Nreal Airs I won't be using the screen in the long run. lol

njsykora posted:

Yeah they made a big deal when FF7R came out that it was verified day one and even gave recommended Deck settings.

That's becamse FFVIIR doesn't have any graphical settings at all. You get a generic High and Low and that's it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah FF7R runs really well it just looks like the screen is smeared with grease

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Wash your hands

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Glimpse posted:

Can confirm that Caves Of Qud works great (the devs made a custom control scheme for the deck), but have you considered that it is also the ideal platform for Vampire Survivors and New Vegas? (I’m serious, 90% of my deck time is those two games).

I actually convinced myself with the CoQ thing, so poured another drink and suddenly there was no doubt anymore. Bought the 256gb one because gently caress tinkering with replacing ssd's.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It took me about 10 minutes to swap the SSD. The hardest part was getting the case open because, like most people, I was a bit paranoid about damaging it. If I did it again, the whole process would take less than 5 minutes.

I got a 512 Kingston off of ebay and a $10 screen protector and feel this is better than the mid tier and just a step down from the top. The top has the nicer case, too. But I saved $175 or so.

E: thoughts on the vent smell: smells to me like a new computer after you first turn it on but before you close the case. A new custom built PC, I mean.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 10, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

FFVII has built in DRS which makes the game blurry as loving poo poo that you can mod out, I haven't tried it so no clue if you can get it working on Deck.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Amazon's big sale is on, 512gb microSDs for £35 is pretty solid.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm going to echo all the people saying to get a 64gig version and just swap out the SSD. I bought the 512 version and while I don't regret it, I definitely would have got the 64 version if I had know how easy it was to swap (though the 512 case is nice). I have a bit of a hobby swapping controller/console shells, so I knew I could do it, I just wasn't sure how hard it was. If there was more than one ribbon cable I was going to say gently caress it. I've already ruined more than my share of Joycons due to ribbon cable shenanigans, and I wasn't going to risk it on something as expensive as a dang Deck. But swapping the SSD is literally unscrewing the back place, popping it off, unscrewing like three screws inside, and then just reversing all that to put it back together. Literally took me about 15 minutes.

So now I got a 1tb SSD thanks for that Microcenter sale, and a 1tb SD card, and I think I'll be good for space for a while.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I worked out a controller config that I think works pretty well for playing Neverwinter Nights on Deck, focused on eliminating as much need to mouse around as is possible for that game. Should also work pretty well for NWN2, iirc the controls are largely the same in the sequel, but I haven't tried it there yet.

steam://controllerconfig/704450/2873817800 if anyone else wants to give it a try.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Can Steam Controller profiles be transferred over to the Deck, or are they different enough to not apply?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

njsykora posted:

Amazon's big sale is on, 512gb microSDs for £35 is pretty solid.

Is that a u3 rated one? The sale hasn't started in the US yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Is that a u3 rated one? The sale hasn't started in the US yet.

U1, same basic SanDisk card I have a 256gb of right now. U3 is £75 for 512gb.