Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

potatocubed posted:

I just keep thinking of Tenra Bansho Zero, where taking wounds makes you stronger. If you can sell that aesthetic it neatly solves all your death spiral problems.

My co-operative brain thinks of the desperately inspired hero in basically every anime or manga, and my uncooperative brain thinks of Sesame Street's Don Music writing hit songs by repeatedly banging his head on the piano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Drakyn posted:

I'm well aware that not everyone cares as much about dinosaurs as I do, but this kickstarter still feels worthy of reposting simply based on the authors: a team of goddamned paleontologists (including paleoartist Mark Witton) are doing a 5e dinosaur supplement.

[...]
Nathan, who I used to teach back in his undergrad days, approached me about illustrating this book at Christmas last year knowing full well that I don't do the whole tabletop gaming thing. My entire experience with such gaming was condensed into one evening about ten years ago, so everything I know about it comes from cultural osmosis. I believe it involves a traditional fantasy setting, dice, campaigns run from behind little cardboard houses and... Jeremy Irons? He's part of this somehow.

Fortunately for us all, Nathan wasn't interested in my knowledge of RPGs. Instead, he wanted my art so he could create a 5th Edition supplement featuring modern, scientifically-informed takes on prehistoric animals. There are, I understand, already some dinosaurs in official D&D canon, but they're apparently pretty "standard" and not especially accurate to their true palaeobiology. Realising that the reality of dinosaurs is way more interesting than their pop-culture stereotypes, Nathan wants to bring a diversity of extinct animals to your campaigns, each with stats and abilities inspired by their real anatomy and hypothesised behaviours. He's also taking inspiration from palaeoenvironmental reconstructions of specific geological formations to create new, science-informed worlds for your quests to take place in. Furthermore, he's creating palaeo-based player races that should be new and interesting, not predictable and familiar. With this supplement, you'll be able to play as folks inspired by azhdarchoids or obscure ornithischians rather than generic "dinosauroids". I'm sure we're going to meet all these goals. Even writing as I am — someone totally ignorant of this vast topic — I'm pretty confident that there aren't many palaeontology 5th Edition projects being guided by four published, PhDed scientists. If you've ever felt your tabletop campaigns were lacking a Yutyrannus ambush, a surprise encounter with Gigantspinosaurus or a Microraptor player companion, this is the book for you.

To bring all this to life, Nathan has full access to my artwork portfolio and is also commissioning me to do new pieces, both of species I've not yet painted as well as new works showing adventurers interacting with scientifically-credible extinct animals. You can get a flavour of what the latter will involve from the cover, which has already been painted and (provisionally) designed, below (NB: a professional designer will be putting everything together next year, so what you see here and at Kickstarter is only indicative of the final product, not finalised book content). This piece was very much a collaborative effort: I can handle dinosaur art well enough, but Nathan's got a tight grip on the more fantastical content and is steering me accordingly. I was thoroughly told off for including an orb staff in an earlier iteration of this image, which I now understand is the tabletop adventure equivalent of legwarmers.

Well that's got my inner 10 year old jumping and hollering for joy

hyphz posted:

My co-operative brain thinks of the desperately inspired hero in basically every anime or manga, and my uncooperative brain thinks of Sesame Street's Don Music writing hit songs by repeatedly banging his head on the piano.

To be fair a lot of the kind of gags that Sesame Street or The Muppet Show would use are the kind that would be right at home in Anime, they both have a love for puns and wordplay for one thing as well as Vaudeville grade slapstick and violence

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Idk if it’s the right thread, but games has a few TCG threads in them, is there a best way/good method to open and reseal Pokémon booster packs?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Total Meatlove posted:

Idk if it’s the right thread, but games has a few TCG threads in them, is there a best way/good method to open and reseal Pokémon booster packs?

You need to explain this in a way that isn't scamming people.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Drakyn posted:

I'm well aware that not everyone cares as much about dinosaurs as I do, but this kickstarter still feels worthy of reposting simply based on the authors: a team of goddamned paleontologists (including paleoartist Mark Witton) are doing a 5e dinosaur supplement.

Neat! IMO this would go well with Planegea, a prehistoric 5e setting recently released by Atlas Games.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Toshimo posted:

You need to explain this in a way that isn't scamming people.

It’s almost entirely the opposite, my lad has got into Pokémon, so I bought him a shiny Charizard to put into a pack for his birthday so he can open it. He probably won’t notice, but if there’s a way of doing it that doesn’t break things then it seemed a good idea to ask.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Neat! IMO this would go well with Planegea, a prehistoric 5e setting recently released by Atlas Games.
It'd certainly be an interesting juxtaposition; Planegea seems to be very much pulpy prehistory-as-she-is-pop-culture to the hilt, while DDD looks to aim specifically at bringing scientifically-up-to-date portrayals of the animals (and their environments) into the game without dulling down the rules into 'this is an animal of x size.' It's not to say the two are violently mutually exclusive, but there's potential for some interesting contrasts there.
And it looks like the DDD guys agree because they popped up on Planegea's reddit.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s almost entirely the opposite, my lad has got into Pokémon, so I bought him a shiny Charizard to put into a pack for his birthday so he can open it. He probably won’t notice, but if there’s a way of doing it that doesn’t break things then it seemed a good idea to ask.

The easy version: Open your pack from the bottom, slip the Charizard in, reseal the pack with any old generic gluestick, and trust your son to open his pack from the top like a normal person. Anything more complicated than that would require remelting the plastic with a heat gun (assuming they're still using the kinds of packs you can do that with), and is both more expensive and closer to actual pack fraud that you probably want to deal with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

This is adorable. You’re doing a good dad thing.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

After chatting with the person who maintained the old itch.io physical game jam list, I have rolled out my shiny new Physical Game Jam list. Hopefully useful to either game writers or people who want to haunt game jams looking for cool new games.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Sick, you don't get much better than Mark Witton (who, in addition to paleoart, is also an active publishing scientist and one of the foremost authorities on azhdarchid pterosaurs out there).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The easy version: Open your pack from the bottom, slip the Charizard in, reseal the pack with any old generic gluestick, and trust your son to open his pack from the top like a normal person. Anything more complicated than that would require remelting the plastic with a heat gun (assuming they're still using the kinds of packs you can do that with), and is both more expensive and closer to actual pack fraud that you probably want to deal with.

This was my first thought, cheers. :)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Total Meatlove posted:

What a cool thoughtful thing to do. If you're not aware, there was a whole thing semi-recently with Amazon selling boxes of MTG boosters that had been searched, resealed and returned so that's probably why people are extra jumpy around the idea of booster pack resealing

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's really useful context I wasn't aware of, thank you!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

To add a little bit more detail to this, a combination of Amazon's policy of mixing together stock from marketplace sellers with stock that they sell directly + accepting returns on booster boxes meant that you could buy from a game store you trust that uses Amazon marketplace for logistics and get a box that had been accepted as a return by Amazon. Your average LGS would be expected to know about the risks of accepting a returned booster box and would check it thoroughly (or more likely have a no returns policy for boosters).

There was a relatively high profile incident of a streamer opening a box on stream and getting packs without rares. Amazon then changed their policy and stopped accepting returns on booster boxes, but didn't (and allegedly couldn't due to their mixing stock policy) offer exchanges to people who had been sold boxes that had previously been returned. This meant that there were people out there who had bought boxes that they were saving for drafts or whatever who couldn't get a refund if they opened them and they turned out to be searched or resealed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tarnop posted:

To add a little bit more detail to this, a combination of Amazon's policy of mixing together stock from marketplace sellers with stock that they sell directly + accepting returns on booster boxes meant that you could buy from a game store you trust that uses Amazon marketplace for logistics and get a box that had been accepted as a return by Amazon. Your average LGS would be expected to know about the risks of accepting a returned booster box and would check it thoroughly (or more likely have a no returns policy for boosters).

There was a relatively high profile incident of a streamer opening a box on stream and getting packs without rares. Amazon then changed their policy and stopped accepting returns on booster boxes, but didn't (and allegedly couldn't due to their mixing stock policy) offer exchanges to people who had been sold boxes that had previously been returned. This meant that there were people out there who had bought boxes that they were saving for drafts or whatever who couldn't get a refund if they opened them and they turned out to be searched or resealed.
loving lol on the bolded bit. If they'd tried that in the EU like five different consumer protection laws that would immediately kick in. Forget exchanges it would be straight into faulty or incomplete goods territory.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

loving lol on the bolded bit. If they'd tried that in the EU like five different consumer protection laws that would immediately kick in. Forget exchanges it would be straight into faulty or incomplete goods territory.

they mix stock on PPE so if you buy masks or gloves from Amazon there's a real chance that you'll get fraudulent product lol

afaik they do this in the EU tbh, I've never heard that Amazon does things differently in the EU or that they suffer anything for that

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulip posted:

they mix stock on PPE so if you buy masks or gloves from Amazon there's a real chance that you'll get fraudulent product lol

afaik they do this in the EU tbh, I've never heard that Amazon does things differently in the EU or that they suffer anything for that
I mean from an individual returns policy. "Hi the thing I bought from you is missing stuff and there's documented evidence that this is a known issue give me a replacement or refund"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not really legal in most (all?) states to sell altered/defective goods, but good luck getting that enforced.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Splicer posted:

I mean from an individual returns policy. "Hi the thing I bought from you is missing stuff and there's documented evidence that this is a known issue give me a replacement or refund"

From what I understand, their stock system doesn't track individual items so there's (allegedly) no way for them to know that customer A was sent the box that was returned by customer B. All the system knows is that customer B returned a box so num_items++, then customer A was sold a box so num_items--

Obviously the correct way to handle it would have been to change the return policy only for items that entered the system after a certain date and to write off all returned stock prior to that date, but Amazon's claim is that their stock system doesn't work at that level of granularity, making it impossible to know which specific boxes were previously returned. I'm sure the fact that this system, as mentioned above, enables them to skim a nice percentage from counterfeit goods is just a happy accident.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anyone have thoughts on Fabula Ultima?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I've only briefly heard it mentioned here, but the one big thing that was mentioned (failing skills damages your stats, making you more likely to fail skills) I'm not a fan of.

(that being said, it was hyphz who was discussing it, and his way of seeing games isn't always in step with how the common consensus on games turns out, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. more importantly, fellowship exists, and that does what I want for jrpg games just fine).

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Just to be fair, those conditions are not applied on EVERY failed skill roll - there’s regular hit point and “mind point” damage too. On the other hand, in the sample adventure the conditions applied are immediately healed by deus ex machina which might be a bad sign.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Fabula Ultima?

Reading the threads on RPG.net made me curious enough to pick it up and I like what I see. If you're looking to replicate a JRPG it's probably got your back. Somebody over there posted how the FF6 opera sequence would go with the different clocks and feels like it could emulate such things almost to the letter.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is it more FF6 than Our Stormy Present? You've piqued my interest

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

where's the ar tonelico trpg

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Ok, having a further look through the sample adventure.

There's four stats, and it's a dice-type system. As I posted previously, the dice selections mean that the chance of success on any given roll are quite low given the default target numbers.

A character gets three Traits (FATE Aspects): "Identity", "Theme" and "Origin". Spending a bennie lets you reroll one or both dice on a related check. You start with 3 bennies, and get one whenever you fumble or whenever a villain appears - either in the play scene or in a cut-scene narrated by the GM. This is mildly awkward, as it means that the effectiveness of the characters is in part tied to the GM's choices about how the story is presented. Also, some of the identities for the sample characters are a bit awkward: "former captain of the Skyriders" and "princess without a kingdom" are kind of hard to argue relations for.

You also have Bonds with other characters, each of which is associated with 3 emotions which are chose from a list of pairs of opposites. If you can relate a bond to a check, you can spend a benny to add the number of related emotions to a check as a flat value. There don't seem to be any restrictions on actually acting on those Bonds, though.

Bennies also let you pull FATE invocations for effect. Villians get antibennies - individually per villain, not for the GM as a whole. They can spend them to get rerolls the same was a PCs, heal from status effects, or escape.

Initiative is group-based, with the party (unusually) making a leader-and-helpers group check with a fixed TN to go first. As per FF style, there's no movement in combat and only a single action per turn. There are no front and back ranks, but a character can give up their action to Guard another character. This is a big red flag, as the author forgets that FF combat is designed for a single player controlling a party, not for each player having their own character. Whoever has to keep Guarding is likely to get bored. They also forget that the tactical choices made in FF combat are mandated on the idea of being able to try again with different tactics if defeated, but every CRPG conversion does that.

Attack is based on skill checks with a modifier. Damage is based on the higher of the dice rolled in the attack, which means that damage will be skewed high.

Healing items are abstracted into "inventory points" where PCs spend certain numbers of points to have healing potions, energy potions or remedies as needed.

Clocks are presented but as written in the quickstart, they're keyed to dice rolls only, which isn't a good idea in practice. Presumably the full version gives more detail.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 15, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's a pretty standard bennie system and seems Fine (TM). You have enough options to choose from that you'll be able to spend a bennie if you want to, it'll just be flavoured around your character. The players are incentivised to be constantly butting heads with the big bad and you're guaranteed to start each villain fight with at least one benny.

hyphz posted:

"former captain of the Skyriders" and "princess without a kingdom" are kind of hard to argue relations for.
What? There are so many hooks on there for benny use.

hyphz posted:

a character can give up their action to Guard another character. This is a big red flag, as the author forgets that FF combat is designed for a single player controlling a party, not for each player having their own character. Whoever has to keep Guarding is likely to get bored. They also forget that the tactical choices made in FF combat are mandated on the idea of being able to try again with different tactics if defeated, but every CRPG conversion does that.
I grabbed the PDF and it looks like Guard is a panic button. It boosts your own resistances and you can optionally choose to make someone else untargetable by melee, but it really doesn't look like you're supposed to be running it every turn. One of the prebuilt characters has a much more explicitly defendery power that triggers outside the hero turn and another character has a heal that also boosts to-hit and most importantly is not magic, it's shouting arms back on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Form bond "Don't believe Ondore's lies. I'm the real--"

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

hyphz posted:

Also, some of the identities for the sample characters are a bit awkward: "former captain of the Skyriders" and "princess without a kingdom" are kind of hard to argue relations for.

Current Captain of the Skyriders
Inspired By The Skyriders To Heroism
Victim of the Skyriders, Sworn To Revenge
Sky Pirate (Doesn't Take It Personally)
Former Mascot of the Skyriders

{court position} without a kingdom
Pretender To The Non-Throne, Joining Forces Out Of Conivenence
Betrothed (True Love)
Betrothed (Just here for the adventure)
I Destroyed That Kingdom, It Was Me

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah those are actually very good prompts that are just enough specifics to be hooks but not cages.

Completely failing to see an even theoretical problem. What’s your beef, hyphz?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah those are actually very good prompts that are just enough specifics to be hooks but not cages.

Completely failing to see an even theoretical problem. What’s your beef, hyphz?

Because you're supposed to be invoking them when they relate to skill checks you make, and that's very unclear. What skills does a "princess without a kingdom" have? If she doesn't have a kingdom she's not going to have actually been doing princess stuff, so it's presumably just her relatives. It mostly reminded me of the 13th Age thing where one of the suggested backgrounds was "failed diplomat", and it's not really clear how that would give a bonus to anything, when it ought to just give a penalty to diplomacy.

Side note: For anyone interested, satirical podcast F-Plus just looked over The Tao of D&D, better known as "mustard guy"', 's blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEd3nncTO00

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hyphz posted:

Because you're supposed to be invoking them when they relate to skill checks you make, and that's very unclear. What skills does a "princess without a kingdom" have? If she doesn't have a kingdom she's not going to have actually been doing princess stuff, so it's presumably just her relatives. It mostly reminded me of the 13th Age thing where one of the suggested backgrounds was "failed diplomat", and it's not really clear how that would give a bonus to anything, when it ought to just give a penalty to diplomacy.
Darth Vader is a failed Jedi Knight. What the hell good is that supposed to be? It just means he's gonna take a penalty on Force Use checks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

hyphz posted:

Side note: For anyone interested, satirical podcast F-Plus just looked over The Tao of D&D, better known as "mustard guy"', 's blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEd3nncTO00

It's an excuse to have all the princess stuff and everything she did after that in in one narrative bundle that you can use to generate bennies. Yeah, it's gonna get more defined in play and lead to table conversations about what that means and it's an improv opportunity.

I assume that's the point, yes.

Why are you just making assumptions to make the game boring?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's an excuse to have all the princess stuff and everything she did after that in in one narrative bundle that you can use to generate bennies. Yeah, it's gonna get more defined in play and lead to table conversations about what that means and it's an improv opportunity.

I assume that's the point, yes.

Why are you just making assumptions to make the game boring?

Because hyphz' predominant gaming experiences is with a table that derives its entertainment from tormenting him, most often in the form of refusing to engage with the system or campaign in good faith, which has made hyphz hypervigilant about ways in which the text is open to abuse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tulip posted:

Because hyphz' predominant gaming experiences is with a table that derives its entertainment from tormenting him, most often in the form of refusing to engage with the system or campaign in good faith, which has made hyphz hypervigilant about ways in which the text is open to abuse.

O I know. I'm the guy who was trying to fix him so I made a group to play Early Modern German-themed Apocalypse World over discord for a couple of months and we had a great time. And hyphz continues to do that even though I know he knows functional players do this just fine and have a great time because he's been there and was a good player who had some good improvs.

It's why I call him out on this poo poo every time I see it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Plutonis posted:

where's the ar tonelico trpg

not translated yet and I think the wiki's dead

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

hyphz posted:

I think that your views on game design are really weird and disagree with a lot of it, but all is forgiven in linking that podcast episode.

I'm just several minutes into it, so if the podcast gets weird I want to say that I don't necessarily endorse whatever weirdass things may or may not be described.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

all i know about ar tonelico is that the music is really baroque, does the rpg require that you sing at the table cuz that would be p rad

Xiahou Dun posted:

O I know. I'm the guy who was trying to fix him so I made a group to play Early Modern German-themed Apocalypse World over discord for a couple of months and we had a great time. And hyphz continues to do that even though I know he knows functional players do this just fine and have a great time because he's been there and was a good player who had some good improvs.

It's why I call him out on this poo poo every time I see it.

fair enough carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

All issues with hyphz's table aside (but don't get me wrong, hyphz's table stories read like an anxiety dream), I feel like the question of "are we okay with broad character archetypes being used to describe a character's skill set, or do we want stricter technical definitions of what characters know and can do?" is a reasonable one for a table to ask, and for the answer to guide system choices. (I know I've seen earnest good-faith discussion of whether "players will try to apply their backgrounds to every possible skill check" is a bug or a feature of the 13th Age background system, to think of the first example that comes to mind.) I personally think archetype-based skillsets are great, but I can believe that some tables might want things more spelled out, and that's fine!