Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Tree Simping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I am waiting for the NYTimes editorial to tell me how growing trees is oppressive to the indigenous population of china.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I am waiting for the NYTimes editorial to tell me how growing trees is oppressive to the indigenous population of china.

Here you go

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/08/china-plants-billions-of-trees-in-the-desert/

quote:

Called New Storage Village, this settlement was built to house some of the 10,000-plus farmers forced off their land to make way for the local tree projects—across Inner Mongolia, more than 600,000 farmers and herders have met this fate. Offic­ially, this was an effort to reduce the overgrazing that abets desertification, but many of the displaced people believe it’s just a land grab to free up resources for Han Chinese businesses; in some areas, herders have resisted with violent protests. “They would have demolished our home if we had stayed,” says Wang Yue, a sinewy 65-year-old born and raised in a now-vanished village where his family had lived for generations.

quote:

But plenty of scientists remain unimpressed. Many of the trees, planted in places they don’t grow naturally, eventually die. The survivors soak up precious groundwater that native grasses and shrubs need, causing more soil degradation. Meanwhile, thousands of farmers and herders are forced off their lands to make way for the trees. China may be winning its war against nature for now, but at what cost?

They said the line lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"plenty of scientist" name them and lets see their peer back studies.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"plenty of scientist" name them and lets see their peer back studies.

weasel words, in my NYT?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

omg it's real.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Orange Devil posted:

Mad props to Vietnam also.

Article is bullshit, the richest man in vietnam cut down all the trees.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

how can xi be FDR if he doesn't even have a professor x levitating chair?

Chinese officials are once bitten, twice shy about the whole concept.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Femur posted:

Article is bullshit, the richest man in vietnam cut down all the trees.

he cut down all but two and planted a second one last year, so the 50% increase is accurate

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Chinese officials are once bitten, twice shy about the whole concept.

Master Li and Number 10 Ox looking good

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

They said the line lol

lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

its even better when you include the previous paragraph i think

quote:

The results so far have been splendid—if you believe the government. Thousands of acres of desert have been stabilized. The frequency of sandstorms nationwide fell by 20 percent between 2009 and 2014. The State Forestry Administration even claims the Green Great Wall, along with some additional planting programs it oversees, has begun to reverse the deserts’ overall expansion.

But plenty of scientists remain unimpressed. Many of the trees, planted in places they don’t grow naturally, eventually die. The survivors soak up precious groundwater that native grasses and shrubs need, causing more soil degradation. Meanwhile, thousands of farmers and herders are forced off their lands to make way for the trees. China may be winning its war against nature for now, but at what cost?

also i love capitalism now:

quote:

The Green Great Wall was launched in 1978, the same year Beijing began opening up the economy, and afforestation efforts have steadily increased since then. Rather than relying on revolutionary fervor, the government now harnesses capitalism to grow trees. Villagers are paid to plant seedlings.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

motherjones the last decade-ish has made me more angry than fox news. what a travesty

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that foresting project's aim is primarily to hold back desert expansion while containing greenhouse gasses in biomass (idk if its at a scale to matter but anyway)

you can say its not biodiverse, appropriate to the local environs etc but it is doing what it's aiming to do. The other options are farming or desertification neither of which increase biodiversity or soil quality any more rapid checker planing trees

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Antonymous posted:

that foresting project's aim is primarily to hold back desert expansion while containing greenhouse gasses in biomass (idk if its at a scale to matter but anyway)

you can say its not biodiverse, appropriate to the local environs etc but it is doing what it's aiming to do. The other options are farming or desertification neither of which increase biodiversity or soil quality any more

doing good things is muh authoritarianism

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I saw a page that said 北大 did a study this year and found they needed to overhaul the biodiversity and so now they are going to do just that, the end goal of the project is 2050 and no country has ever attempted this kind of ecological management before so they're literally writing the book on it as they go, and obviously want it to succeed.

The western article makes it sound like a potemkin forest rather than an ongoing effort that will take generations

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Palladium posted:

doing good things is muh authoritarianism

in that article they acknowledge that the old way of doing things is literally destroying the environment, and then in the next breath they talk about how sad it is that the government is making people do something about it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Antonymous posted:

I saw a page that said 北大 did a study this year and found they needed to overhaul the biodiversity and so now they are going to do just that, the end goal of the project is 2050 and no country has ever attempted this kind of ecological management before so they're literally writing the book on it as they go, and obviously want it to succeed.

The western article makes it sound like a potemkin forest rather than an ongoing effort that will take generations

But have you gave a precious thought to my sour grape cum projection cum capitalist liberalism complex

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sour grape cum projection

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Palladium posted:

But have you gave a precious thought to my sour grape cum projection cum capitalist liberalism complex

i think you can eat things to make it sweet but iunno about sour

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Palladium posted:

But have you gave a precious thought to my sour grape cum

no. well, now I have, yes

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

will they be giving me covid tests the whole time im there because since i got hosed by the airline now i need to get my green code again and that bullshit on its own was like half the cost of the flight

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html

You shouldn't need PCRs for green code entry now, just RAT and vaccination record. PCR tests are done by the government for free at testing centers, just have to sign up via the web and show a text message or screenshot of the booking number. Ideally you need an HK number but that can be arranged when you arrive.

To your other question, I think you can stay in any hotel or home stay now. If your final destination is the mainland, I'd check if you even need to stay for the 0+3 "self monitored quarantine" - typically they only required travelers to stay for the mandatory quarantine before.

indigi posted:

why are they blowing them up

Some of those are development projects that didn't get completed or were abandoned or whatever. Developers running off (often to Taiwan lol) with money was a thing during the 00s and 10s, and usually that leads to a prolonged legal dispute and by the time it's over the buildings aren't structurally sound because it's all been exposed to the elements - or may just be poo poo build quality from the beginning.

Also the previous joke about building and blowing up construction over and over, China doing keynesianism --- western neolibs RAGE

Renault was doing a bunch of production for their new car model in Russia, I wonder if they're gonna collapse further?

Antonymous posted:

Sounds like China is not believing in science!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I bet that first kid is feeling like a loving rube rn

e: at least until the last kid lmfao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Palladium posted:

But have you gave a precious thought to my projection cum capitalist

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*watches the loving boogeyman go around the room* you know what I'll take that bet

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/boogiefromtheH/status/1577906614211846144?t=wuFJlXskmocMZsNGSkwjYQ&s=19

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Old article, itself working off old information. There are various reforestation projects that have different degrees of sophistication, and nowadays there are no more monoculture plantings.

As for trees stealing all water, that's complete bunk. Not a big surprise that these concerned scientists aren't even named.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

I bet that first kid is feeling like a loving rube rn

e: at least until the last kid lmfao

i say swears online posted:

drat that last kid is a real dumbfuck

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Telluric Whistler posted:

Some of those are development projects that didn't get completed or were abandoned or whatever. Developers running off (often to Taiwan lol) with money was a thing during the 00s and 10s, and usually that leads to a prolonged legal dispute and by the time it's over the buildings aren't structurally sound because it's all been exposed to the elements - or may just be poo poo build quality from the beginning.

Lots of building projects are actually just illegal - built on communally owned land that wasn't authorized for development. The hope is that by the time some level of government gets wise to it, people would be living there already and thus the project would be too difficult to roll back. Sometimes it works.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Antonymous posted:

Cool that was my only complaint with the project so if they've realized that and are working on fixing it I'm rooting for them

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The Red-Green alliance we need!

(the red is communism)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the red-green alliance was my favorite 90s canadian show

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Planting trees; war against nature.

Ok then.

Antonymous posted:

Western intelligentsia (that would be nice lol) literally cannot comprehend long-term planning.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Oct 13, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Orange Devil posted:

Planting trees; war against nature.

Ok then.

Western intelligentsia (that would be nice lol) literally cannot comprehend long-term planning.

i think it's less about being able to comprehend long term planning, more about explicitly demonizing china specifically. no matter what china does now they'll write articles about how bad it is. planting these trees? bad. not planting them? they arent doing enough in the face of climate change. etc.

basically, it's not an accident

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
could you imagine if an authoritarian like lula got in office in brazil and started denying beef ranchers their god given right to continue stripping and burning the amazon?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stringent posted:

could you imagine if an authoritarian like lula got in office in brazil and started denying beef ranchers their god given right to continue stripping and burning the amazon?

some climate scientists would probably say that such a policy doesn't have the intended positive effects on climate change

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stringent posted:

is this a campaign promise? i don't think it was true in his first term

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i say swears online posted:

is this a campaign promise? i don't think it was true in his first term

it's what in learned circles is referred to as a "hypothetical"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fart simpson posted:

i think it's less about being able to comprehend long term planning, more about explicitly demonizing china specifically. no matter what china does now they'll write articles about how bad it is. planting these trees? bad. not planting them? they arent doing enough in the face of climate change. etc.

basically, it's not an accident

Yeah true.

Still though, compare China's approach to problems: make a plan and start doing *something* quite quickly, then learn and adapt the plan as further info presents itself

Meanwhile in the West we love to research and analyze everything and write another report about it and then eventually conclude that it is all quite complicated and some scientists still might have some minor disagreements (or be paid to have major disagreements that are bullshit) or well you know we still don't know everything so let's commission another research we can then analyze and write a report about and nobody ever loving *does* anything.

The Chinese way feels a hell of a lot more human.