Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Randalor posted:

I just had a disturbing thought, Jones has always come off as being just a few feet or so from going over the edge and shooting up a courthouse or government office himself (and let's be honest, when you spew brainworm poison for a living, even if you know it's all BS, at some point it's going to start living in your head), is there a non-zero chance that he tries take as many people with him as he can after this? Especially when it goes through appeals and he's still left owing more money than he can possibly actually make in the remainder of his life?

He's a narcissist and a coward, who has his idiot minions do the dirty work. There's no way he takes that option in favour of bitching and whinging about it for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Herstory Begins Now posted:

a billion dollars in undischargeable debt lol

For the folks who don't yet understand: this is what legal scholars refer to as "a big oopsie-doopsie".

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Outrail posted:

He's a narcissist and a coward, who has his idiot minions do the dirty work. There's no way he takes that option in favour of bitching and whinging about it for the rest of his life.

The reason why I keep saying he'll go the Bill Cooper route is because not only did Jones clearly get inspired by Cooper, but Cooper was wanted for evading people going after his money. Jones is now under similar scrutiny (although Cooper was tax evasion), and he can either pay, run like a coward, or follow his years of 'anti-tyranny' rhetoric and 'defend what's his'. Any attempt to flee and pull money will (hopefully!) be seen by whoever's assigned to oversee FSS's finances, so unless he just cuts bait and flees, it'll make a lot more sense to stay put.

The chaos factor comes in as to whether he'll comply once they come to collect.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I sincerely hope the families will be protected in some way from the backlash of alex's cult. There's going to be more hate and violence directed at them because of this verdict :smith:

Not that the verdict is bad, I just worry about the families. Jones deserves to get hosed over

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Drinkslinger posted:

My friend seems to think he can get out of paying by moving from Texas to a different state (he gave Cali as an example). How likely is that to work?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I don't really have a whole lot of knowledge or experience with this sort of thing.

Did your friend not notice the lawsuit took place in CT?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know the answer re: Jones estate after death because that's a Texas law specific question assuming he dies in Texas while still residing there. Typically there is a method for people to make claims on an estate, though, and I'd be shocked if there isn't some way in TX for the families to try.

Both Jones and FSS are jointly and severally liable for the full amount in both cases. They are both responsible for the full amount, and there is no way for this debt to go away short of Jones dying and his estate closing (after the families claim what they can from it) and FSS winding down completely with no successor. There really is no way for Jones to wriggle out of this because of the way he positioned himself. If he had actually put up real money in the first sham bankruptcy instead of saying he'd pay $10m for everyone to split over five years while still refusing to admit fault AND actually shut the gently caress up about Sandy Hook, the families might have agreed to take the money and give him a third party release.

As it is now, he has two undischargeable judgments against him personally for nearly a billion dollars collectively. Yes, Free Speech Systems, LLC is in bankruptcy - but Alex Jones is not. There is no way for Jones to get the debt forced onto FSS entirely even though he has tried (like his bullshit indemnification agreement with himself).

Had Jones actually ran FSS, LLC as a proper business and not a disregarded entity, he would have options. There are a lot of things he could have done differently to mitigate this. He's out of options now.

"Alex Jones is going to easily wiggle his way out of this jam."

*Does not wiggle his way out of jam*

"Ah! Well, nevertheless..."

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

duz posted:

Did your friend not notice the lawsuit took place in CT?
Apparently not! I did explain that to him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The people who skate a) have more money than Alex b) have smarter lawyers than Alex c) listen to their lawyers d) are at least smart enough to not commit the crime they're being sued for again, repeatedly, in public, during the trial.

Alex loving up so bad that he got a default judgment is already putting him in rarified air of stupid, it is hard to gently caress up that much.

He could've made an insincere apology, maybe paid a few small settlements, and gotten away with it. But that ship sailed years ago. He hosed up worse than most people can ever dream of loving up.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Randalor posted:

I just had a disturbing thought, Jones has always come off as being just a few feet or so from going over the edge and shooting up a courthouse or government office himself (and let's be honest, when you spew brainworm poison for a living, even if you know it's all BS, at some point it's going to start living in your head), is there a non-zero chance that he tries take as many people with him as he can after this? Especially when it goes through appeals and he's still left owing more money than he can possibly actually make in the remainder of his life?
all of this attention is feeding jones. he's happy people are looking at him and responding to him no matter what. all attention, even negative attention, is what he needs and wants
i'm not framing this loss as good for jones, it's obviously not, but it's only really bad for his business, for his ego it's amazing: everyone is looking at him! they want to ask him questions, they want his insight!
gently caress jones and the monsters he enables and encourages but why do you think he's doing the "emergency broadcast"? because on his show, when the focus is on him, is when he's happy.
people keep thinking of jones in terms of their own thoughts, the metaphor of "sour grapes"; you would be miserable being jones, but you're not jones

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Morter posted:

Jones is now under similar scrutiny (although Cooper was tax evasion), and he can either pay, run like a coward, or follow his years of 'anti-tyranny' rhetoric and 'defend what's his'.

After all his dumabsss 2nd Amendment rhetoric, might say it's finally time for Jones to 'put his gun where his mouth is'.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

War Wizard posted:

The next GOP president will "pardon" him and even though it won't be legal in the slightest, everyone will go along with it, because it has been proven time and again that American legal institutions can just crap out if someone is popular enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if his original plan was to somehow get this case to the supreme court , and have his bircher/federalist society buddies overturn it in a 6-3 decision

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cowman posted:

I sincerely hope the families will be protected in some way from the backlash of alex's cult. There's going to be more hate and violence directed at them because of this verdict :smith:

Not that the verdict is bad, I just worry about the families. Jones deserves to get hosed over

as bad as it sounds they're probably plenty used to harassment from Alex's fan for the crime of merely existing, I hope they've learned enough from all this to keep themselves safe thru all this

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Pirate Captain posted:

Alex Jones is no criminal genius, and no one is saying he is. People are concerned about the corrupt system that tends to, especially in the past 5 years or so, let rich white people off the hook. Concern is justified and anyone who thinks it isn’t hasn’t been paying attention.

did you forget two zeroes or something?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Alex Jones is no criminal genius, and no one is saying he is. People are concerned about the corrupt system that tends to, especially in the past 5 years or so, let rich white people off the hook. Concern is justified and anyone who thinks it isn’t hasn’t been paying attention.

Jones didn't play nice with the system, so the system is going to make an example of him. Jones isn't a big-time power player with connections, he's a belligerent rear end in a top hat no one likes who has no value to the people that run and maintain the system. He lost the usual protections given to the rich and influential by his inability to cooperate. Anyone who had an interest in defending Jones at first, has jumped ship because the man himself is impossible to defend and he's just more trouble than he's worth. This isn't a normal Rich White Guy in Trouble case, and if you keep thinking that it is, you're not paying attention

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Jones didn't play nice with the system, so the system is going to make an example of him. Jones isn't a big-time power player with connections, he's a belligerent rear end in a top hat no one likes who has no value to the people that run and maintain the system. He lost the usual protections given to the rich and influential by his inability to cooperate. Anyone who had an interest in defending Jones at first, has jumped ship because the man himself is impossible to defend and he's just more trouble than he's worth. This isn't a normal Rich White Guy in Trouble case, and if you keep thinking that it is, you're not paying attention

Yeah, Rich White Guy Seeing No Consequences requires:
1) Adequate high-paid legal counsel;
2) Listening to adequate, high-paid legal counsel;
3) Having anything resembling standing in the judicial system.

Default judgments pretty much negate all 3, especially the third one.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grand Fromage posted:

The people who skate a) have more money than Alex b) have smarter lawyers than Alex c) listen to their lawyers d) are at least smart enough to not commit the crime they're being sued for again, repeatedly, in public, during the trial.

Alex loving up so bad that he got a default judgment is already putting him in rarified air of stupid, it is hard to gently caress up that much.

He could've made an insincere apology, maybe paid a few small settlements, and gotten away with it. But that ship sailed years ago. He hosed up worse than most people can ever dream of loving up.

Yeah the way you get out of stuff as a rich white guy is by playing the game. you get very competent lawyers, you get very competent accountants and then you do what they say and you shut your loving mouth because all you will do is get yourself into a worse situation. Then you act sufficiently deferential to the court and at least create the illusion that you aren't completely non-repentant.

Alex Jones has done none of these things and has instead done the exact opposite at every turn. Sure the game is rigged, but you have to actually play the game to benefit from it being rigged.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

He sure as gently caress ain't rich no more since, if you haven't been paying attention, he personally is on the hook for over a billion dollars of gently caress-you-forever-debt that- because of his recent flailing attempts to obtain the kind of rich-white-dude protections afforded to him by the law via bankruptcy abuse (which is actual for-real irony lmao)- can be freely extracted from any of the many hastily-set-up shell companies in his literal actual name because a government-appointed authority now actually controls all of Alex Jones' fake and real businesses due to some bankruptcy court judge getting tired of putting up with Jones' idiotic face

lol

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Seriously, what's with people not understanding why Jones is hosed?

He didn't approach this trial like he was rich and/or powerful. Rich or powerful people hire competent costly lawyers (either through their money or by trading favors with other rich people) then listen to them. The costly lawyers then proceed to to navigate through all the loopholes deliberately put into the 'justice' system so that rich and/or powerful people can skate; but the point of these loopholes is that they are hard to navigate so as to prevent the hoi polloi from making use of them.

Jones didn't do this. Jones went at this set of trials like he was a commoner. He screamed, ranted, ignored tribunals and went at it like a carnival show. He was so uncontrollable he got dropped by all lawyers until he had to go with what was below the barrel, not even on the bottom.
But the poor and powerless can and do behave like that too. Tribunals know how to deal with situations like this, and it's beyond easy. Drop the hammer, gently caress the commoner, no way someone rich or powerful would be dumb enough to behave like this. There aren't rich-only loopholes for this situation, because it was assumed nobody rich would be that dumb.

Jones didn't want to pay the rich rear end in a top hat's tax (a slap on the wrist, an on air non apology, some peanuts in compensation, pretending to respect the system), so now he's going to pay the poor man's tax ($Connecticut money) instead.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Alex Jones may be rich, white, and a guy, but he's not a Rich White GuyTM, he's the very epitome of New Money white trash who fell into his fortune rear end-first only because he was more shameless than anyone else, and he's spent his time pissing off powerful people. There's no one who can help him legally and I anyone who wants to help him monetarily will find he's more trouble than he's worth, because he can't not be a beligerent rear end in a top hat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Omobono posted:

because to date, nothing has shut him up, nothing. not a billion dollar judgment, nothing. and him not shutting up is precisely what is causing these families to get tormented and harrassed. so it's like will this poo poo ever end?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To me, the expectation that he would normally just get away without serious damage is what makes it interesting that he’s actually super hosed. He had to gently caress up so many times, and in such specific and uncommon ways, to get to this point, it’s fascinating. But I understand the skepticism about him facing consequences, of course there’s skepticism—being a dumb rear end in a top hat is normally no obstacle to getting away with poo poo if you’re a wealthy white dude, so it’s not important here that he’s a dumb rear end in a top hat in general. It’s the specific kind of dumb rear end in a top hat he is that’s put him in this position.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
After hearing how he showed up to court with like 8 bodyguards, now that he can’t afford them I’d give even or better odds he ends up freaking out and shooting someone else that confronts him in public alone before he ever offs himself.

Edit: wait, is a gun an asset that can be seized and auctioned off to pay the debt? If so, :lol::lol::lol:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

LifeSunDeath posted:

because to date, nothing has shut him up, nothing. not a billion dollar judgment, nothing. and him not shutting up is precisely what is causing these families to get tormented and harrassed. so it's like will this poo poo ever end?

Yeah that post has seven other lines in it. Care to address them?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

LifeSunDeath posted:

He can scream all he wants, he's still hosed. The Alex Jones Circus can, and will, go on for as long as Jones can scream into a mic, but that doesn't change that he's screwed for the rest of his life. Shooting his mouth off isn't mutually exclusive with being financially hosed forever

If you mean that he's still on the air, well. Literally the only thing that will stop him from doing that is death

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I know Jones is a shithead and he doesn't show any sort of real fear and remorse about anything...

But I hope in his most private moments, like just before he's falling asleep, or he's alone driving his car, or whatever...that there's a cold, slimy dread that creeps up his spine. The worry that he's hosed. The cloud of anxiety that things won't turn out okay this time. That the weight of owing a billion dollars presses down on him when he's alone with his thoughts and there's the ice in his chest and the feeling that the bottom of the gallows will drop from under him at any time.

Just to make him a little nervous and more alone. That's all.

That's when he hobbles back to the liquor cabinet again

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the yeti posted:

Yeah it’s wild how people who have grown up watching wealthy right wingers evade consequence for inciting harassment and violence expect it not to happen this time too :jerkbag:

Wealthy right wingers evade consequences because they're able to pay for very expensive lawyers and then listen to them, while using their community connections with local powerful figures to help pressure things.

Jones' lawyers have been a clownshow lineup, most of whom hated him after a while because he absolutely refused to listen to them. And he spent the last decade accusing local powerful figures in Newtown of conspiring to fake a massacre. Out of sheer narcissistic stupidity, he's pissed away every advantage his wealth and power would give him. And while I wouldn't be surprised if this judgment will get reduced somewhat on appeal, he's still going to be paying out a massive chunk of his net worth with no way to avoid it.

Fell Mood posted:

While I agree that Alex can't get out of this, you're being lovely here. There is a reason this case is such a big deal, and that people are worried. Can you think of a single other instance in the last 20 years where a white multi millionaire was forced to pay for thier many crimes? Its easy to understand why people are skeptical.

Yes, loads. They usually don't have to pay quite so much, but like I said, they usually listen to the massive team of loving expensive lawyers they hire. They fake a little bit of remorse, communicate only through their PR firm and their lawyer, issue a formal apology written by their publicist, do everything the judge tells them to, and get hit with a token fine. Jones went on his show during the trial to show laser-eyes pics of the judges hearing the case and accusing them of personally railroading him through a kangaroo court even though he didn't do anything wrong.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

yook posted:

After hearing how he showed up to court with like 8 bodyguards, now that he can’t afford them I’d give even or better odds he ends up freaking out and shooting someone else that confronts him in public alone before he ever offs himself.

Edit: wait, is a gun an asset that can be seized and auctioned off to pay the debt? If so, :lol::lol::lol:

Finally, the gov't gun grabbers he's always wanted :gizz:

Morter fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 13, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LifeSunDeath posted:

The goal isn't specifically to shut Jones up, though. Lots of people believe in insane poo poo, and will say it, but whatever.

This trial is specifically about punishing Infowars, as a company, for doing harm far beyond what a single person could do, and compensating the victims accordingly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Omobono posted:

Yeah that post has seven other lines in it. Care to address them?

why bother, you're clearly an rear end in a top hat.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Main Paineframe posted:

Jones' lawyers have been a clownshow lineup

Every now and then I randomly think of his lawyer in the Texas trial who on day one was flipping off opposing council and being a raging dick and then a few days later had his entire life/legal career ruined due to him sending opposing council the entire contents of Jones' phone and it makes me giggle so hard. His face was amazing. I hope he poo poo himself.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It’s only been a day, and he’s only just now gotten his toe caught in the meat grinder at long last. Let’s all just be patient while his bones crack.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

It's kind of funny that if he didn't go all in on Sandy hook he'd be okay but still an obscure Internet weirdo

Wild to see the whole deal with the devil thing play out in entirety in rl

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Alex Jones may be rich, white, and a guy, but he's not a Rich White GuyTM, he's the very epitome of New Money white trash who fell into his fortune rear end-first only because he was more shameless than anyone else, and he's spent his time pissing off powerful people. There's no one who can help him legally and I anyone who wants to help him monetarily will find he's more trouble than he's worth, because he can't not be a beligerent rear end in a top hat.

Yeah if he was a rich white guy tm he wouldn't have brought his Kool aid with him to court

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Every now and then I randomly think of his lawyer in the Texas trial who on day one was flipping off opposing council and being a raging dick and then a few days later had his entire life/legal career ruined due to him sending opposing council the entire contents of Jones' phone and it makes me giggle so hard. His face was amazing. I hope he poo poo himself.

I spotted him a couple of times right behind Pattis in CT. Isn't there supposed to be a sanction hearing for both of them pretty soon?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Omobono posted:

I absolutely agree. Honestly this doomscrolling is pissing me off. This is literally days of celebration. Alex Jones isn't getting away with it. Yesterday was him EXPLICITLY LOSING AND UNABLE TO ESCAPE. Forever. His fortune is getting taken away from him. The only way out of this is to flee the country or Elon Musk pays his bill. And both of those aren't him "getting away with it".

Just because he didn't get put in jail and gagged doesn't mean this isn't a massive victory for anyone who he hurt and the culture he's contributed to damaging.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 13, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Omobono posted:

Jones didn't want to pay the rich rear end in a top hat's tax (a slap on the wrist, an on air non apology, some peanuts in compensation, pretending to respect the system), so now he's going to pay the poor man's tax ($Connecticut money) instead.

Also worth noting that in the past he has done the correct way out. He got sued by the CEO of Chobani and immediately went to fake apology mode to get it dropped. Rich guy suing him was worthy of notice and respect. He didn't think a bunch of lowly parents in Connecticut could hurt him so he told them to gently caress off and kept profiting off their misery. And now here we are.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Omobono posted:

Lack of object permanence. He is still talking on air, still getting money, info wars wasn't hit with a tactical nuke therefore everything is still the same.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I absolutely agree. Honestly this doomscrolling is pissing me off. This is literally days of celebration. Alex Jones isn't getting away with it. Yesterday was him EXPLICITLY LOSING AND UNABLE TO ESCAPE. Forever. His fortune is getting taken away from him. The only way out of this is to flee the country or Elon Musk pays his bill. And both of those aren't him "getting away with it".

Just because he didn't get put in jail and gagged doesn't mean this isn't a massive victory for anyone who he hurt and the culture he's contributed to damaging.

The thing that irks me the most it's that it's quite obviously doomerism from people who haven't been paying attention to the saga.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CharlestonJew posted:

as bad as it sounds they're probably plenty used to harassment from Alex's fan for the crime of merely existing, I hope they've learned enough from all this to keep themselves safe thru all this

I'm just afraid it'll get worse since now they've "silenced him" or some other bullshit. They've gone through too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm pretty sure that the plaintiffs can ask for an injunction against further statements because after all, a major point of any suit in tort is to make the plaintiff whole and you can't do that if the tort is ongoing. Monetary damages cover the harm already caused, but the court would prefer to not require the plaintiff to come back to it in another suit for further injuries caused by subsequent actions when the tortfeasor has already been found liable in the first place. Jones defamed them during the trial, after the trial, and is probably on air now defaming them right now; it's within the court's power to tell to tell him to shut the gently caress up in regards to the plaintiffs and it wouldn't be considered prior restraint because we, you know, went through the entire legal process to get to the determination that such speech wasn't protected, it caused serious harm, so just loving quit it already.

And the violation of that could be actual jail time for contempt.