Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Grand Fromage posted:

Also worth noting that in the past he has done the correct way out. He got sued by the CEO of Chobani and immediately went to fake apology mode to get it dropped. Rich guy suing him was worthy of notice and respect. He didn't think a bunch of lowly parents in Connecticut could hurt him so he told them to gently caress off and kept profiting off their misery. And now here we are.

when they were talking about the google analytics and how it drove him to talk more and more about sandyhook, and then he started rattling off all his store item prices and markups with perfect recall...I became very clear: he made most all of his money off of this. He never wanted to stop talking about it cause it was his primary revenue source. It's diabolical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Grand Fromage posted:

Also worth noting that in the past he has done the correct way out. He got sued by the CEO of Chobani and immediately went to fake apology mode to get it dropped. Rich guy suing him was worthy of notice and respect. He didn't think a bunch of lowly parents in Connecticut could hurt him so he told them to gently caress off and kept profiting off their misery. And now here we are.

I thought Bankston mentioned Jones did offer the Sandy Hook parents a settlement, but it was something stupidly low like $20k and didn't include a promise to stop. Just refusing to acknowledge he might be causing harm.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

duz posted:

I thought Bankston mentioned Jones did offer the Sandy Hook parents a settlement, but it was something stupidly low like $20k and didn't include a promise to stop. Just refusing to acknowledge he might be causing harm.

It was also like 5 years too late and after he had been defaulted.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Drinkslinger posted:

Apparently not! I did explain that to him.
Tell your friend to look up "full faith and credit" which is this thingy in an obscure legal document called the Constitution that tl;dr says that a court order issued in any state will be enforced exactly as written in any other state. It applies to things like divorces, child support orders, and billion-dollar legal judgments to keep people from just picking up and moving to avoid compliance.

(If that comes across as snarky I am intending the snark for your "one weird trick" friend)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is a situation I've been curious about for a while.

So once things have properly settled into place, Alex Jones will never be able to hold any real assets again and will no longer be capable of "grifting" for his own benefit. Like, he can still sell brain pills/beg for donations, but the proceeds would no longer go to him (assuming it's all above-board, which...more on this later). So I'm mostly curious if he's enough of a "true believer" to soldier on despite everything, or if he gets out of the game because it's no longer profitable to him. Plenty of people justify evil actions if it makes them millions of dollars but that becomes a harder sell to do otherwise, and I'm not sure where Alex Jones falls. A few possible outcomes:

- Alex Jones explicitly tries to kill himself. He may well consider his life to be "over" in the sense that he'll never hold assets again, not see a way "out", and attempt suicide explicitly as a gently caress you to the people who successfully sued him. Things would need to be more solidified in court than they are now, though.
- Alex Jones pulls some illegal shenanigans to try and continue operating "profitably", like by trying to conceal or obfuscate income and assets. This would of course be discovered immediately and could result in him going to prison for contempt.
- He decides to rebrand himself as a martyr of sorts, like by deciding to just stream from a smart phone on YouTube or a chud-friendly video platform, and continues his toxic shtick on principle, without otherwise really being profitable. Just full brainworms.

I'm curious how much he's technically allowed to keep when all's said and done.

I know in a normal bankruptcy at least in my area you're allowed a certain baseline income (anything more than that gets garnished), and a basic minimum standard in terms of a place to live (e.g. you're allowed to rent a place but not own one, and are allowed a certain amount of different types of furniture e.g. you're allowed a table, chair and bed at least), probably you're allowed at least one computer and/or smart device as well as an internet connection. Also you're allowed to shortlist a number of items (I think where I am it's 20) that cannot be seized, usually because they're family heirlooms and that sort of thing.

It's entirely possible bankruptcy is different especially since he's also specifically been sued and not merely insolvent for reasons that didn't stem from a court determining malicious action on his part.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The settlement was universally seen as a bad faith offer. I'm pretty sure the bankruptcy judge was like "seriously?"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

He can scream all he wants, he's still hosed. The Alex Jones Circus can, and will, go on for as long as Jones can scream into a mic, but that doesn't change that he's screwed for the rest of his life. Shooting his mouth off isn't mutually exclusive with being financially hosed forever

If you mean that he's still on the air, well. Literally the only thing that will stop him from doing that is death

Not necessarily, he owes debts to people and they could argue that him doing further broadcasts could harm their ability to recover from him, and so they might be able to get a judge to issue like an order stopping him from being on the air. This is pretty close to prior restraint, but Jones really seems to like pissing off judges.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m guessing Alex will suddenly claim he needs to sell his mansion and he will generously accept a bid below two billion USD, when it in fact is worth double that. Because of all the anti-globalist defences, you see.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

univbee posted:

I know in a normal bankruptcy at least in my area you're allowed a certain baseline income (anything more than that gets garnished), and a basic minimum standard in terms of a place to live (e.g. you're allowed to rent a place but not own one, and are allowed a certain amount of different types of furniture e.g. you're allowed a table, chair and bed at least), probably you're allowed at least one computer and/or smart device as well as an internet connection. Also you're allowed to shortlist a number of items (I think where I am it's 20) that cannot be seized, usually because they're family heirlooms and that sort of thing.

Interesting. Didn’t know that existed.

So, legal minds itt, what happens now? $965m, can that go higher later on? Are there more court cases elsewhere to milk him? If $965m is where it ends, are there more proceedings or something to set it in stone and discuss payment details?

Someone upthread asked about appeals from him but apparently he shat this case so hard that there isn’t much of an avenue left for him to explore there.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

As a non-lawyer my understanding has been that he cannot appeal the default, but I'm less clear on whether appealing the amount of damages is a possibility.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m just kind of relieved that the jury didn’t end up being stumped by a MAGA-head in disguise, insisting the 1st amendment demands a mistrial or some such.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
how would this have played out in a court of bird-law?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

buglord posted:

Interesting. Didn’t know that existed.

So, legal minds itt, what happens now? $965m, can that go higher later on? Are there more court cases elsewhere to milk him? If $965m is where it ends, are there more proceedings or something to set it in stone and discuss payment details?

Someone upthread asked about appeals from him but apparently he shat this case so hard that there isn’t much of an avenue left for him to explore there.
Yes, there's a punitive damages phase in the CT case, there are other plaintiffs who weren't party to this specific suit (IIRC) and they have something teed up. Apparently legal fees were already approved by the jury here so that's gonna get added on top of the compensatory figures (nothing too crazy but it could easily still be in the millions).

The bigger question is how much of this might be knocked down on appeal, which he still has a right to for the damages portion. (He can theoretically appeal the default but that's...not happening.) Punitive damages are routinely reduced on appeal, but compensatory damages less so, and Jones is such a shitlord litigant that it wouldn't surprise me if he fucks up the appeals too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Jones didn't play nice with the system, so the system is going to make an example of him. Jones isn't a big-time power player with connections, he's a belligerent rear end in a top hat no one likes who has no value to the people that run and maintain the system. He lost the usual protections given to the rich and influential by his inability to cooperate. Anyone who had an interest in defending Jones at first, has jumped ship because the man himself is impossible to defend and he's just more trouble than he's worth. This isn't a normal Rich White Guy in Trouble case, and if you keep thinking that it is, you're not paying attention

Yeah, it deserves to be repeated. Rich White Guy Justice is only reserved for people who treat the court with respect. If you gently caress around to the degree that Jones has the judicial system will absolutely grind you to dust worse than Non-Rich-White-Guys if only to make an example out of you.

Jones already is no longer in control of his companies, he pissed the bankruptcy court Judge off so much that they ordered a government Auditor to run his companies and get detailed ledgers of Jones assets, up to and including the shell companies run by Jones' parents. They can literally sell the sheet rock off the office walls around Jones in the middle of a broadcast like it is The Sims and he's basically got no recourse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Less trauma, more ranting.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, it deserves to be repeated. Rich White Guy Justice is only reserved for people who treat the court with respect. If you gently caress around to the degree that Jones has the judicial system will absolutely grind you to dust worse than Non-Rich-White-Guys if only to make an example out of you.

Jones already is no longer in control of his companies, he pissed the bankruptcy court Judge off so much that they ordered a government Auditor to run his companies and get detailed ledgers of Jones assets, up to and including the shell companies run by Jones' parents. They can literally sell the sheet rock off the office walls around Jones in the middle of a broadcast like it is The Sims and he's basically got no recourse.

That's the biggest problem I've had reading people kramer into this thread and the trump thread to spout off nonsense about Jones getting off scot-free, he literally put himself in lower legal standing with the entire American judicial system than a homeless dude with a PD who got picked up for pissing on the street at 5AM.

Multiple levels lower, to the point where he might as well not exist outside having to pay cursory attention. He did everything in his power to negate his rich white guy power, and the judicial system will respond in kind if you do that.

edit: it's not like a rich guy talking about a plea and getting out of it, it's all happening in realtime because he defaulted. His assets were already forfeited to the government. He doesn't have recourse because he didn't play the game. Always play the game, no matter who you are.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 13, 2022

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

SubponticatePoster posted:

Tell your friend to look up "full faith and credit" which is this thingy in an obscure legal document called the Constitution that tl;dr says that a court order issued in any state will be enforced exactly as written in any other state. It applies to things like divorces, child support orders, and billion-dollar legal judgments to keep people from just picking up and moving to avoid compliance.

(If that comes across as snarky I am intending the snark for your "one weird trick" friend)
Hahaha, I'll tell him that, but not in such a snarky way. He's a good dude, he's just a bit naive about certain things.

Anyway, enough silliness from me - I'll go back to lurking and celebrating Jones' demise :toot:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

That's when he hobbles back to the liquor cabinet again

Yeah, I can't see him shooting it out with the cops Bill Cooper style, or commiting suicide.

Doubling down on booze and rapidly killing himself that way, seems extremely plausible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Because he hosed things up worse than you will ever gently caress anything up in your lifetime (yes, you, the person reading this post)

Don't assume you know how much of an idiot I am. Many have made that mistake.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

MA-Horus posted:

But but what if Alex Jones dies suddenly and FSS is taken over by one *checks notes* Jalex Ones? Who looks suspiciously like AJ with a moustache

According to https://www.coolgenerator.com/anagram-generator, we need to be on the lookout for a new on-air personality named Ajax Clemson Reindeer, or maybe a gravelly-voiced lady named Adela Exorcism Jenner, who can really fill out a dress.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ashpanash posted:

I think that's literally Jones' best option right now - take everything he can that isn't nailed down, throw it in some crypto, and leave for Russia. He can start a little channel there and live reasonably comfortably, if he could calm down and get on the Jordan Peterson Benzo Diet. But then again he's Alex Jones, he'll make enemies no matter where he is, and in Russia he'll learn what state censorship really looks like.
It looks really nice, the view from a 30th floor window is spectacular.

The sudden stop when hitting the ground from that window, not so much.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CannonFodder posted:

It looks really nice, the view from a 30th floor window is spectacular.

The sudden stop when hitting the ground from that window, not so much.

The view from half way down?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

pixaal posted:

The view from half way down?

Breathtaking.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Today I woke up worth hundreds of millions of dollars more than Alex Jones. :unsmith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol

jones owes a billion dollars

lol

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
He might be attempting to go on the wingnut welfare walk now (more than usual I guess):

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1580621431867838467?t=-LI4q-XZsMeXYoMl8A1qWQ&s=19

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

If there were true justice in the world he'd get the Britney Spears treatment and be placed under a conservatorship indefinitely.

If there were true justice in this world, this would never have had to happen.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

LifeSunDeath posted:

how would this have played out in a court of bird-law?

much lower threshhold for probable cawws

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

He might be attempting to go on the wingnut welfare walk now (more than usual I guess):

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1580621431867838467?t=-LI4q-XZsMeXYoMl8A1qWQ&s=19

From the replies. I think deep down Jones knows this is his future as well.

https://twitter.com/danagould/status/1507041643920121869#m

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This might not be a viable strategy long-term. Anyone having Jones as a guest may well, depending on what is said/done on their show, get implicated in future court dealings of Alex's (e.g. get asked to come in for questioning regarding what happened on the show) and a whiff of that happening will curtail him getting invited on stuff very quickly. Because even people who "agree" with Alex generally also recognize he's toxic as gently caress and any association with him will damage their brand for no gain.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DeathSandwich posted:

God? Are you there? Please. Holy poo poo please I want that to be real. Let that happen and I'll eat some Jesus crackers again.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they're all just hoping to steal some of his audience away. no honor among scum.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Crain posted:

God? Are you there? Please. Holy poo poo please I want that to be real. Let that happen and I'll eat some Jesus crackers again.

I will buy some of that sheet rock for $1 a square foot just to watch some contractor sawing through the joists behind him as he unleashes guttural screams into a mic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

funeral home DJ posted:

I will buy some of that sheet rock for $1 a square foot just to watch some contractor sawing through the joists behind him as he unleashes guttural screams into a mic.

This wall of my house is made out of repurposed material from the InfoWars set I got during a liquidation sale. It's for my donation to the parents of the victims of Sandy Hook.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

InsertPotPun posted:

they're all just hoping to steal some of his audience away. no honor among scum.

That's exactly what I figured Crowder's stake was in having Jones as a guest on his show the moment I saw that tweet.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

funeral home DJ posted:

I would pay $20 a month for a 24/7 streaming service of Jones’ life collapsing, with a $1 super chat feature to talk poo poo to him directly via bullhorn. Every dime should go to the SH families.

E: his audience is the most valuable asset he has. Minds unclouded by critical or analytical thinking, a credit card attached to a central nervous system and a paranoia gland.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

red19fire posted:

I would pay $20 a month for a 24/7 streaming service of Jones’ life collapsing, with a $1 super chat feature to talk poo poo to him directly via bullhorn. Every dime should go to the SH families.

If we're going to have him work it off it'd probably be more satisfying and humiliating for him to force him to guest star on shows as the bad guy. Just constantly poo poo on. He can have enough to pay for ramen or chili but not both for the week and a small apartment. Rest goes to the families. Basically your idea but it's scripted so he can't possibly say hateful things on air(unless some show's writing staff is dumb enough to give him input). Letting him have live shows still seems like a very dangerous thing.

If they can find a billion hidden in crypto then yeah sell that ban him from everything.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If Jones gets a twitch account where he reads out insulting comments directed at him for a few the families get their money in no time

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

pixaal posted:

If we're going to have him work it off it'd probably be more satisfying and humiliating for him to force him to guest star on shows as the bad guy. Just constantly poo poo on. He can have enough to pay for ramen or chili but not both for the week and a small apartment. Rest goes to the families. Basically your idea but it's scripted so he can't possibly say hateful things on air(unless some show's writing staff is dumb enough to give him input). Letting him have live shows still seems like a very dangerous thing.

If they can find a billion hidden in crypto then yeah sell that ban him from everything.

Just put him in The Cube but with no lethal traps, just constant humiliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Knowledge Fight have joked about forcing him to have an on air fact checker on every show.