Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tiny Timbs posted:

I am absolutely in love with the argument that something fishy must be going on because Biden beat Obama with support from The Blacks.

*In some counties.

**And only in the raw vote totals, not voting share, for an election where roughly 30,400,000 more people voted than 2012.

Even though in the very previous sentence he is saying that he should have won because he got more raw votes in 2020 (the highest turnout election in recent history) than he did in 2016 (the lowest turnout election in modern history).

It's pretty clear that he is just wildly flailing and this is for the true believers to eat up. I don't think even he really believes that getting more votes than you did in the previous election means you should win (even if the other person gets more votes than you).

BonoMan posted:

Uhhh I don't think you're supposed to get a colonscopy once a year. (I mean unless there's some specific reason I guess)

When I turned 40 my doc started doing the finger-up-my-butt prostate exam. Then I moved to a different state and got a different doctor and he basically said "that's odd... anyway we're evidence based here and the evidence shows that those rectal exams aren't exactly effective. So we'll just do blood screening instead."

Fingers up my butt for NOTHIN'!

It's not a full colonoscopy. It's a prostate exam. They do the fingers up the butt thing with me every 1-2 years and have a light and a camera. But, I am now learning (somewhat concerningly) that maybe I also need to talk to my doctor about whether that is necessary or if he is just putting fingers up the butt for nothing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pencilhands posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3686293-ocasio-cortez-mocks-fox-news-contributors-28-taco-bell-lunch/amp/

I don’t understand what AOC is getting at here. Is $28 not an average Taco Bell order? I generally end up spending around $20-$30 when I go - it’s not the 90s anymore. Shaming portion sizes just seems kind of gross and counterproductive, if you ask me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doing the Taco Bell challenge every day to own the libs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not a full colonoscopy. It's a prostate exam. They do the fingers up the butt thing with me every 1-2 years and have a light and a camera. But, I am now learning (somewhat concerningly) that maybe I also need to talk to my doctor about whether that is necessary or if he is just putting fingers up the butt for nothing as well.

I believe the colorectal exam guideline was pushed back, I think to 45, because the average lifespan was getting long enough that the false positive rate was outweighing benefit. Same with prostate exams, though I don't have numbers- and I think it's been all bloodwork for a while now. All of this is subject to other factors, ofc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe the colorectal exam guideline was pushed back, I think to 45, because the average lifespan was getting long enough that the false positive rate was outweighing benefit. Same with prostate exams, though I don't have numbers- and I think it's been all bloodwork for a while now. All of this is subject to other factors, ofc.

Now I'm concerned that Bonoman's doctor and my doctor are either not keeping up with the updated guidelines or they both just enjoy going on recreational trips to prostate town.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The mass shooter in North Carolina last night was a 15-year old boy.

Not clear if he knew any of the victims, what a potential motive was, or where he got the semi-automatic rifle.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1580936822405812224

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2022

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Honestly looks like mediocre brisket.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Now I'm concerned that Bonoman's doctor and my doctor are either not keeping up with the updated guidelines or they both just enjoy going on recreational trips to prostate town.

Yeah my doctor (well former doctor now, thank god I moved) also wore a *power balance* wristband at one point.

So... Uh. I think it's probably a mix of both of those!

The mass shooter in North Carolina last night was a 15-year boy.

Not clear if he knew any of the victims, what a potential motive was, or where he got the semi-automatic rifle.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1580936822405812224

This is where I moved *to.* Crazy stuff. Just got an email from the Wake County School System saying one student was killed and two others injured.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I'm not the person to ask on testing guidelines, I'm working off thirdhand info and places like uspstf. It might be the case that insurer policies are different.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly looks like mediocre brisket.

I think that's why FizFashizzle shared it.

I'd still eat the hell out of it, but I'm sure there are better places elsewhere in the country.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can't wait to hear what very legal means were available for a 15 year old to have unfettered access to a firearm.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Testing guidelines are also guided by family history.

We…..don’t do digital exams anymore. Is your doctor an older guy who probably hasn’t kept up with his CME?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FizFashizzle posted:

We…..don’t do digital exams anymore. Is your doctor an older guy who probably hasn’t kept up with his CME?

Don't know about Leon's guy, but mine was young. In his early 50s at the most.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't know how old Bonoman's doctor is (edit: He said early 50's above), but mine is probably in his mid to late 60's. He's old, but not ancient. He seems pretty up to date about the other stuff.

Now, I'm getting concerned. Bummer (pun unintentional) way of starting the weekend. But, google/WebMD/American Cancer Society says that they are still done? At least as of 2020.

quote:

The digital rectal exam is an important screening test that can discover prostate cancer that a prostate-specific antigen or PSA test may not, despite the higher sensitivity of the PSA test, according to Penn State College of Medicine researchers.

Doctors use the digital rectal exam (DRE) as a relatively simple test to check the prostate. Because the prostate is an internal organ, your doctor cannot look at it directly. But because the prostate lies in front of the rectum, they can feel it by inserting a gloved, lubricated finger into the rectum.

It may be performed in the screening of prostate cancer.

quote:

Who Should Get a Digital Rectal Exam?

Not all medical institutions agree on when men should begin screening (routine testing) for prostate cancer or even if a DRE should be part of the screening.

quote:

The digital rectal exam (DRE) may also be done as a part of screening. (See Screening Tests for Prostate Cancer.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BonoMan posted:

This is where I moved *to.* Crazy stuff. Just got an email from the Wake County School System saying one student was killed and two others injured.

As sad as this is, that might be a different mass shooting in the area?

The NYT has the names and ages of the people shot and only one seems to be school-aged.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1580936276735184896

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, you :nms: can't be too careful (link contains images of colonoscopy, caveat spector)

American College of Gastroenterology case journal posted:

A ladybug was found in the transverse colon during screening colonoscopy of a 59-year-old man with no comorbidities. [...] Ladybugs are cherished for being pretty, harmless, and even beneficial friends of farmers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The NYT has the names and ages of the people shot and only one seems to be school-aged.

Yeah it's just one student. I just misread the email (it was very specifically about this shooting).

"Five lives were taken in a senseless act of violence in northeastern Raleigh near the Neuse River Greenway, including one of our own students. Two others were injured. The shooter was taken into custody with life-threatening injuries."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

It's referencing the same shooting. I think OP just misunderstood the "Two others were injured" part.

e: f,b

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Can't wait to hear what very legal means were available for a 15 year old to have unfettered access to a firearm.

We don't even know that it *was* legal yet. The prep timeline usually gets pieced together over the following few days and could easily include stealing the gun from someone who didn't secure it properly

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm so sick of mass shootings, and I'm so sick of the gaslighting I receive when I say that maybe people shouldn't have access to killing machines.

It's going to take decades to rid ourselves of the insane amount of guns in America; we need to start as soon as possible.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Trump sent a letter to the January 6th committee that is wildly unhinged, full of typos, and also - inexplicably - includes several pages of photos from his inauguration in the middle of the letter to show how big the crowds wer

:laffo: he cites Shiva "I invented email" Ayyadurai as a source for his Arizona claims.

Also like half of these paragraphs have his Weird Capitalization and half of them don't, I wonder if those are ones he wrote himself or whoever's in charge of imitating his writing style sucks at their job

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also like half of these paragraphs have his Weird Capitalization and half of them don't, I wonder if those are ones he wrote himself or whoever's in charge of imitating his writing style sucks at their job

There are some Q followers out there who are no doubt trying to decipher the random capital letters and coming up with dozens of theories, none of which are "he is a crazy old man ranting at the clouds"

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I don't know how old Bonoman's doctor is (edit: He said early 50's above), but mine is probably in his mid to late 60's. He's old, but not ancient. He seems pretty up to date about the other stuff.

Now, I'm getting concerned. Bummer (pun unintentional) way of starting the weekend. But, google/WebMD/American Cancer Society says that they are still done? At least as of 2020.

Digital rectal exams are still done, yeah. Both the prostate and a lot of bowel cancers are palpable on DRE, and a lot of bowel cancers metastasize to the spine. So we'll do them on men with urinary complaints and people with unexplained back pain or frank rectal bleeding, plus others. Also for things like sphincter tone in trauma cases. Not super common outside the ED but still done. Endoscopy gets arranged subsequently for a more definitive assessment if indicated.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Last I heard, one victim was identified to be his brother -- presumably the main target. The others were a cop and various people who happened to be on the greenway trail where he was attempting to flee.

No official word on the gun yet but they're saying it's a "long gun" and considering he was able to kill & wound that many people, I'm gonna go ahead and guess some kind of AR.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 14, 2022

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think that's why FizFashizzle shared it.

I'd still eat the hell out of it, but I'm sure there are better places elsewhere in the country.

Also I didn’t mean to perpetuate BBQ chat here, I thought this was the CFB thread where we talk BBQ during the off season.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A rare miss from the Bee hilarious legal defeat for Durham in his quest to prove that the Russia investigation was just Democrats criming to make Trump look bad:
https://twitter.com/JulesJester/status/1581003471276294144

(Harassing the targets of his counterinvestigation as a warning to anyone else who looks into GOP misdeeds in the future has been the point and worked out rather well, even if he keeps getting curbstomped in court)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
DOJ has successfully appealed the appointment of the special master in the classified files investigation:
Justice Department formally appeals appointment of special master in Mar-a-Lago documents case

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/14/politics/mar-a-lago-department-of-justice-appeal/index.html

I guess this means they can go forward with their investigation unimpeded?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Charliegrs posted:

DOJ has successfully appealed the appointment of the special master in the classified files investigation:
Justice Department formally appeals appointment of special master in Mar-a-Lago documents case

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/14/politics/mar-a-lago-department-of-justice-appeal/index.html

... what do you mean by "successfully appealed?" here?

They filed an appeal. That's all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

... what do you mean by "successfully appealed?" here?

They filed an appeal. That's all.

Sounds like they succeeded in filing an appeal! :v:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Filing an appeal doesn't mean you get to do the thing you're appealing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Taken into custody without being killed via bomb robot?

At least we know he's white.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Taken into custody without being killed via bomb robot?

At least we know he's white.

nobody gets killed with "bomb robot" unless you mean a unmanned aerial vehicle aka drone

police have done well brinign mass shooting suspects into custody as of late, well either that or that wait till they kill themself like Uvalde LOL. But seriously - your comment is very '2020' and doesn't really reflect modern policing practices.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

nobody gets killed with "bomb robot" unless you mean a unmanned aerial vehicle aka drone

police have done well brinign mass shooting suspects into custody as of late, well either that or that wait till they kill themself like Uvalde LOL. But seriously - your comment is very '2020' and doesn't really reflect modern policing practices.

It was probably referring to this: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/08/use-robot-kill-dallas-suspect-first-experts-say/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^ yup

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

2020: Not modern times?

Okay

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the debt forgiveness site is live, just FYI for those who qualify (if you're not sure, at the bottom of the webpage it gives you more info)

https://twitter.com/AlexSJacquez/status/1581079058003111938?s=20&t=AknUcBz0poie_LQRDRy-tg

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This was at Terry Black’s in Dallas

Note this cost $250+ but fed 5

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Staluigi posted:

No they just chased out every single family joint or ethnic restaurant from anywhere in a two mile radius from the metropolitan financial center and replaced it with That Place with Edison Bulbs, Square Stainless Steel Sitting Stools, Chalkboard Menu, Exposed Brick and Dark Wood Accents, A Name Like "Leaf & Pickle" And 32 Dollar Gastrostarters (or 'appetizers' in peon speak)

You've just described every neighborhood in Seattle!

But especially Ballard.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the debt forgiveness site is live, just FYI for those who qualify (if you're not sure, at the bottom of the webpage it gives you more info)

https://twitter.com/AlexSJacquez/status/1581079058003111938?s=20&t=AknUcBz0poie_LQRDRy-tg

Holy poo poo.

This is absolutely the way that services should be provided.

I got 10,000 knocked off my debt with less than a dozen questions.

One time, minimal effort, let people go on with their lives.

This form should be an example for how government service should operate: minimal input for maximum impact.

Imagine if people seeking FEMA relief or asylum could be assisted so easily.

A somewhat better world is possible.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 15, 2022

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Herschel Walker flashed a fake police badge at his debate.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1581071214121885696

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Rebel Blob posted:

Herschel Walker flashed a fake police badge at his debate.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1581071214121885696

does SNL have two people that can make this sketch or does Kenan Thompson have to run back and forth on-stage?

Of note: Walker also said that he was against insulin price caps because people with diabetes should just eat healthier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Holy poo poo.

This is absolutely the way that services should be provided.

I got 10,000 knocked off my debt with less than a dozen questions.

One time, minimal effort, let people go on with their lives.

This form should be an example for how government service should operate: minimal input for maximum impact.

Imagine if people seeking FEMA relief or asylum could be assisted so easily.

A somewhat better world is possible.

Congratulations! It's always good to hear when things actually work