Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Looking forward towards your future endorsement of Israeli annexation of West Bank.

Last I checked the West Bank was outside of Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean if you want to know what a fair democratic independence referendum looks like, the best example I can think of is Brexit . . .and even that was deeply influenced by Russian influence campaigns. Maybe Irish or Scottish independence?

Either way I think you probably need at least a generation of peace first, possibly more.

surely there's some level of actual, if in the case of Brexit very stupid, popular support where Russia supporting a thing doesn't mean it's illegitimate

If Putin had limited his land grab to Crimea, it's possible-to-likely it would have stuck. Support for joining Russia was genuinely reasonably high, Sevastopol was something that in practical terms Russia was never going to willingly lose, and in general it would be a whole hassle for uncertain gain. Unfortunately, Putin decided he also wanted a big chunk of SE Ukraine and/or to ruin it as a demonstration to other nations in the Russian sphere, and also at some point lost the plot and decided Ukraine isn't a real nation and needs to be Russified.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
By extension, if Russia does lose Crimea (which I'm still not sold on but has become significantly more likely), it is entirely because they were boneheaded enough to do all the other horrible things and start this war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Regardless of what you feel about Crimean people's wishes for independence, military annexations are illegal, full stop. Russia has no right to annex Crimea or any other part of Ukraine and Ukraine has every right to take Crime back by force if she has to. Crimea's right to self-determination has nothing to do with it.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

This may not be relevant here, but because someone mentioned russian influence in the Brexit referendum, I'm interested:

It seems like actual Russian propaganda coming out of the war sucks! I had assumed after the conversations that happened 2016 and 2020 about Russian influence in U.S. elections that the tools they could use to sway opinion or present an alternate narrative to the West's were actually very effective.

Is there someone in the thread who's spent a lot of time looking at pro-Russia propaganda media that can explain why their influence on public opinion re: this war seems so... weak?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NeatHeteroDude posted:

This may not be relevant here, but because someone mentioned russian influence in the Brexit referendum, I'm interested:

It seems like actual Russian propaganda coming out of the war sucks! I had assumed after the conversations that happened 2016 and 2020 about Russian influence in U.S. elections that the tools they could use to sway opinion or present an alternate narrative to the West's were actually very effective.

Is there someone in the thread who's spent a lot of time looking at pro-Russia propaganda media that can explain why their influence on public opinion re: this war seems so... weak?

A portion is due to them focusing their efforts elsewhere, they are less trying to influence the US here and more trying to influence China/India to support them.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
For all that Russia's apologists talk about offramps and deescalation, Russia sure denied Ukraine an offramp to end the war without retaking everything when it annexed the occupied territory. It seems fair to say that public opinion is probably different in Crimea vs pre 2022 occupied Donbas vs territories occupied since the invasion, but all of those were illegal and Russia itself says that Crimea and Donetsk have the same status as places like Zaporizhzhia that have never even been on the front line.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Would be nice to see Girkin behind bars, to get a taste of what's coming for him in The Hague.

Just saw this

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1580913490533154817

But it probably means nothing

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

surely there's some level of actual, if in the case of Brexit very stupid, popular support where Russia supporting a thing doesn't mean it's illegitimate

If Putin had limited his land grab to Crimea, it's possible-to-likely it would have stuck. Support for joining Russia was genuinely reasonably high, Sevastopol was something that in practical terms Russia was never going to willingly lose, and in general it would be a whole hassle for uncertain gain. Unfortunately, Putin decided he also wanted a big chunk of SE Ukraine and/or to ruin it as a demonstration to other nations in the Russian sphere, and also at some point lost the plot and decided Ukraine isn't a real nation and needs to be Russified.

I'm of the opinion the only reason he didn't go for all of Ukraine in 2014 is that his army was in no shape to do so, as shown by the 8 years of prep time for the current stage of the invasion.

Also considering the mask falling off this year, it's impossible to have an objective argument about "how much did Crimea want to join Russia?" It was impossible to find out as of 2014. The percent of Crimeans supporting Russia before Maidan became irrelevant information, the revolution changed political realties overnight. But then there was no time after that change to objectively poll anyone because Russia immediately invaded in response. Whatever the truth about sentiment in that short period was is simply lost information.

This is all really moot. There's a full-blown war now, Russia can never be trusted to negotiate in good faith, and they can not be allowed to retain anything they tried to take by force. That includes Crimea. Today's practical reality has rendered the questions about Crimea's feelings towards Russia irrelevant. And it's not just avoiding bad precedent, Ukraine has to remove Russian forces from Crimea in order to protect their shipping after the war. If or how that happens is for 2023 to figure out.

I'll go as far to say IMHO it is everyone's moral obligation to not even do "devil's advocate" arguments about Crimea and Donbass joining Russia. Russia is conducting genocide in Ukraine, there is nothing we should hand to them even rhetorically, ever.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Strelkov/Girkin has stopped posting few days ago, which is a pretty good reason to believe that legal threats to so-called "warcors" are real, at least in some wrist-slapping form.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think the signal of if Ukraine is serious about retaking Crimea is what happens after they take Melitopol. Because they'll be in rocket range of the Kerch bridge at that point. If they rocket the Crimean bridge into dust then they're serious about retaking it.

I think regardless of what happens they will rough it up a bit as a bargaining chip for an end to the conflict. Because once Ukraine retakes Melitopol there isn't much Russia will be able to stop them from retaking everything else.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 14, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The problem with saying things like this

quote:

To make my perspective clear, I believe that Crimea should be part of Russia on the basis of self-determination.
is that polls are not an election. An election involves some amount of campaigning where people can be swayed to one side or another, where arguments or promises can be made, it's a big thing that people discuss as part of the regional/national consciousness, and then people can give their 'opinion' on election day knowing that it has actual weight. That's all very different from a poll. Just because some polls indicate a sentiment long before a potential election doesn't mean the vote will go the same way.

Sure, it's certainly possible that, had a free and fair election been eventually had in Crimea, they would've voted to join Russia. But it's also possible that such an election would've resulted in Crimea saying no thanks and sticking with Ukraine.

And now with Russia having invaded, we'll never know what would've been the outcome, and there can't be such an election in the future for at least a generation after Ukraine re-takes Crimea, assuming they're able to, given the impacts of the 'annexation'.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Since the war started, the west has shut many of their easy channels, for example you can't watch RT in as many places now. The events have also been unifying, so there's no easy way for Russian trolls and shills to make their point.

This doesn't mean though that Russian propaganda has been totally unsuccessful globally. In large parts of the world people are either understanding for Russian goals or indifferent. But then, I don't think most people I meet daily have strong opinions about Azeri-Armenian or Indo-Pakistani conflicts because they barely know that those countries exist. And then we have Hungary, a member of EU and NATO that is absolutely drooling for gas from Putin. Russia doesn't even need propaganda in Hungary because Orban does it for them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cicero posted:

The problem with saying things like this

is that polls are not an election. An election involves some amount of campaigning where people can be swayed to one side or another, where arguments or promises can be made, it's a big thing that people discuss as part of the regional/national consciousness, and then people can give their 'opinion' on election day knowing that it has actual weight. That's all very different from a poll. Just because some polls indicate a sentiment long before a potential election doesn't mean the vote will go the same way.

Sure, it's certainly possible that, had a free and fair election been eventually had in Crimea, they would've voted to join Russia. But it's also possible that such an election would've resulted in Crimea saying no thanks and sticking with Ukraine.

And now with Russia having invaded, we'll never know what would've been the outcome, and there can't be such an election in the future for at least a generation after Ukraine re-takes Crimea, assuming they're able to, given the impacts of the 'annexation'.

Besides that, Sevastopol was a huge Russian naval base inside Ukraine, so any polls have to be viewed through the prism of "did people speculate in their responses if the city would just die economically if Russia eventually withdrew" as well as "did Russia spend hundreds of millions of rubles to influence the public opinion to be favourable to Russia".

The answer is "yes" to both, probably.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Chalks posted:

Interesting developments that could shed some light on the state of Russia's security aparatus

https://twitter.com/balticjam/status/1580993234800869376

Also Russia are unlikely to be repeating Monday's 80 missile bombardment because they are almost out of missiles

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1580930099947659264

When they try a more restrained approach, however:

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1580997289778507777

Doesn't Russian still have tons of older less precise cruise missiles they can use? Like if they all care about is hitting civilian targets I don't think the accuracy would matter all that much to them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Besides that, Sevastopol was a huge Russian naval base inside Ukraine, so any polls have to be viewed through the prism of "did people speculate in their responses if the city would just die economically if Russia eventually withdrew" as well as "did Russia spend hundreds of millions of rubles to influence the public opinion to be favourable to Russia".

The answer is "yes" to both, probably.

I mean yeah, that's why self determination of Crimea pre-2022 is an interesting test case for me, particularly to compare against Brexit / Scoxit / Rojava / northern Sri Lanka (don't get me started :v: )/ what have you. It's clearly either close to or over the "actually, no" line but it helps me try and calibrate my thoughts on other examples.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Being entirely dependent on Ukraine for drinkable water is one of the issues you would expect to be drawn out in a real referendum campaign.

e: hell the existence of any sort of political campaign is one of those big hints as to whether you are looking at a real democratic exercise or a sham

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 14, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are all of these actual C-SPAM mods or something, suddenly "just asking questions"?

Russia invaded and staged an illegal, fraudulent referendum. So any sort of discussion about self determination is completely moot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only reason why the takeover of Crimea was "bloodless" according to some harebrained pedantic criterion was because the Russians were killing Ukrainians by the hundreds, if not thousands, elsewhere, so they had no resources to resist on Crimean territory, lmao, what's going on

Also "bloodless" takeover as long as you don't count the ethnic cleansing

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

socialsecurity posted:

A portion is due to them focusing their efforts elsewhere, they are less trying to influence the US here and more trying to influence China/India to support them.

Also Africa. They're leaning in hard on the anti-colonialist angle (without irony). There's an obviously well justified view in most African countries that the west in general exploits smaller/poorer countries and Russia is pushing the narrative that that's what it's doing to Ukraine.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

steinrokkan posted:

The only reason why the takeover of Crimea was "bloodless" according to some harebrained pedantic criterion was because the Russians were killing Ukrainians by the hundreds, if not thousands, elsewhere, so they had no resources to resist on Crimean territory, lmao, what's going on

Also "bloodless" takeover as long as you don't count the ethnic cleansing

How dare you sir!?! They were doing that at least 200km from the other place and is therefore unrelated to that matter at hand.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Regarding Russian propaganda, I think one thing worth noting is that in Brexit and the US elections, Russian propaganda didn't NEED to boost a particular position - it was sufficient to sow chaos and say "those guys are pretty bad!" and kinda let the internal hatreds metastasize from there. But now, it's not enough to suggest that NATO or even Ukraine is bad, it's necessary for Russian propaganda to take a position and justify why what they are doing is good. That's proving, well, a bit of an uphill struggle considering that what they are doing is so flagrantly not good, and even if Russia had been studiously avoiding warcrimes it would probably have been trickier anyhow because it's easier to insinuate that someone else is bad and nasty than it is to insist that you yourself are absolutely doing the right thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crow Buddy posted:

How dare you sir!?! They were doing that at least 200km from the other place and is therefore unrelated to that matter at hand.

Let's congratulate Mr. Hitler on his brilliant bloodless takeover of Vichy France, things could have gotten hairy, but in the end cooler heads prevailed!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean if you want to know what a fair democratic independence referendum looks like, the best example I can think of is Brexit . . .and even that was deeply influenced by Russian influence campaigns. Maybe Irish or Scottish independence?

Either way I think you probably need at least a generation of peace first, possibly more.

Ireland already IS independent... we just have to do a little bit of long term reunification with the remaining six counties in my part of the island (all in good time). :dance:

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

steinrokkan posted:

Let's congratulate Mr. Hitler on his brilliant bloodless takeover of Vichy France, things could have gotten hairy, but in the end cooler heads prevailed!

It was brilliantly executed.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

the holy poopacy posted:

This seems like the crux of the point--surely any negotiations about self-determination would be between the government of Ukraine and its citizens? It's not really clear to me why Russia would get to be involved at that stage, sovereign states don't get to just negotiate with the people of another sovereign state for territory.

Right, yes - I wasn't clear enough because I was bending over backwards to illustrate what should be done if Russia had a legitimate point of some kind and was acting in good faith, but any legitimate referendum would occur prior to even a partial transfer of power and would therefore need to be administered by the Ukrainian government. When I said "explore a referendum together" I meant that Russia would probably want to have some input into the format of the referendum and to have some observers, not that they would be in control of the process.

Of course, they aren't acting in good faith which is why they never tried to start the conversation which would have led down this path.

Nenonen posted:

Regardless of what you feel about Crimean people's wishes for independence, military annexations are illegal, full stop. Russia has no right to annex Crimea or any other part of Ukraine and Ukraine has every right to take Crime back by force if she has to. Crimea's right to self-determination has nothing to do with it.

I think this is the essence of the matter - because Crimea was taken by force without provocation, Russia's claim to it is not legitimate. No referendum can make it legitimate after the fact, especially not one run under the shadow of the Russian state.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 14, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

"Russian influence" is an easy scapegoat for the centre-left in both the UK and the US for why bad things happened (Brexit and Trump) which run against the cosmopolitan vision they perceive for their countries. In both cases, Brexit and Trump were caused by and won by domestic politicians tapping domestic strains and faultlines, and reviews into russian influence on their campaigns show both funding and influence to be marginal compared to key domestic funders. At best Russia spend 15 years throwing money at fridge groups vaguely in line with their interests and then took all the credit when those groups were successful for reasons unrelated to russian support.

It's easier to blame outsiders than reckon with the causes of your own failure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
E: meh, not worth it

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 14, 2022

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Charliegrs posted:

Doesn't Russian still have tons of older less precise cruise missiles they can use? Like if they all care about is hitting civilian targets I don't think the accuracy would matter all that much to them.

Unless they're incredibly faster than the modern missiles, they'll be shot down in even greater numbers. The terror-bombing campaign once again galvanized foreign sympathy with Ukraine, resulting in more defences being promised. Putin and his army leadership keeps making the same strategic mistakes.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

NeatHeteroDude posted:

People have already mentioned the different markets they started refocusing their attention on, but there was an additional reason why they scaled back on a lot of their propaganda movements in most democratic republics pretty fast: when it came time for rallying visible activism or commentary to support russia, it really, really, really sucked. It was completely insufficient to task, through a combination of the arguments it was expected to use to encourage cynical nonintervention and the mediocrity of the people and groups that were to rally to the cause.

It competed terribly against early messaging successes of Ukraine plus a prompt and steady demonstration of russia being russia

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think the war was a big shock. A lot of genuinely antiwar people who contributed to Russian-sympathetic media lost their stomach for it after Putin announced a special operation

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nimby posted:

Unless they're incredibly faster than the modern missiles, they'll be shot down in even greater numbers. The terror-bombing campaign once again galvanized foreign sympathy with Ukraine, resulting in more defences being promised. Putin and his army leadership keeps making the same strategic mistakes.

The other problem with using older missiles is the range. The Iskander ground-launched short-range ballistic missile has an operational range of 500km. The Tochka, which was replaced by the Iskander, has an operational range of 185km (the last version, the Scarab C) to 70km (the first model, the Scarab A, introduced in 1975). The Luna, which was in turned replaced by the Tochka, had a range of 65km. Switching to shorter- and shorter-range and slower ballistic missiles weakens a lot of their tactics since they're now less mobile and more vulnerable to aerial counterattack, outflanking, etc. For instance, these older ballistic missiles largely have ranges that fall within HIMARS range.

Also, these older missile stockpiles have been largely given away or sold over the last fifty years. The Tochka, which was retired in 2019 due to modernization of the rocket forces to the Iskander, has since been reintroduced into Russian service, but most of have been given away to Syria, the Donbass People's Republics, Armenia and other Russian allies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can write about this in more detail when at a keyboard, but the strongest goal and accomplishment of Russian propaganda methods isn’t usually accepting specific pro-Russia positions- it’s civic disengagement. Equivocation about truth mattering in sources and dismissal of things like voting or sharing common civic identity (whether it’s ironic or sincere) are the outcome that Russian propaganda most effectively instilled, domestically and abroad.

Propaganda that isn’t direct subject-specific deception is also almost never direct or immediate in its effects- it takes years, and progressive mediation and socialization. Russification (like was done to Crimea, like is being done to the occupied territories) is the product of generations of work.

RT or Sputnik materials aren’t intended to directly influence large numbers- they persuade small groups who resocialize around them and who then redistribute and mediate their content as talking points that produce a competing, false consensus effect.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 14, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kavros posted:

People have already mentioned the different markets they started refocusing their attention on, but there was an additional reason why they scaled back on a lot of their propaganda movements in most democratic republics pretty fast: when it came time for rallying visible activism or commentary to support russia, it really, really, really sucked. It was completely insufficient to task, through a combination of the arguments it was expected to use to encourage cynical nonintervention and the mediocrity of the people and groups that were to rally to the cause.

It competed terribly against early messaging successes of Ukraine plus a prompt and steady demonstration of russia being russia

A post from the old thread I thought pretty funny showing that even a random Russian milblogger type thought the choice of American experts recruited by Russia somewhat sketchy. I do find it somewhat odd that the guy feels the need to explain that pedophiles are "not forgiven there [in the US]" or that in general, the USA is a society where pedophiles are "generally not considered people." Is that...not the case in Russia, or is the translation garbling a repeat for emphasis or something?

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Some batshit Russian nationalist's Telegram take on Scott Ritter, I found it a bit funny tbh

[ran through Google translate]

quote:

Twice convicted pedophile in the service of RT under the guise of a US military analyst

RT had enough money for one Scott Ritter, and now he is a full-time Western military expert who explains that we didn’t crap ourselves, but just got dirt on our pants. The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation are not fighting badly, we just want to save the lives of civilians and therefore we suffer such losses and make little progress. This expert was contracted to justify and comment on everything:

Scott Ritter, Scott Ritter - a plug in every barrel.

I thought, who in the US expert community can be so desperate as to take money from the Kremlin or just drown for the Russian Federation? After all, this is immediately an extract from all parties. I thought that I was some kind of marginal and decided to look at the biography .. but everything turned out to be much worse there.

"he was convicted of unlawful contact with a minor and five other charges that resulted in two years of incarceration."

In general, long before his ties with the Russian Federation, this expert was caught on youngsters in the style of Tesak. First in 2001 (which excludes a set-up for cooperation with the Russians), then in 2009. Apparently, they discovered his attempts to get close to youngsters and set up set-ups in order to punish him and save the children. Usually they are found on forums, specialized sites, etc. Because it's better to catch it than after the fact of the crime. Yes, and his face fits the type of a pedophile, look at the famous releases with Chris Hansen. This completely destroyed his career, not only as a military man, but in general any, such people are not forgiven there.

And only after that he was picked up by RT to exhibit as a sane American military expert. A man has nothing to lose, worse sex offender only repeat sex offender. He will not be hired not only to teach in college, but even at McDonald's. There, his neighbors are informed that a maniac lives next to them, such people are forced to register.

No, I'm not against the fact that there are some experts in the West who drown for us. Budgets are allocated for this and all that. But Russian diplomacy must ensure that these are truly respected experts from institutions and departments. Otherwise, why do we need the Kalantaryan circus, RT, budgets for international representations, NGOs and public diplomacy? If we are so disliked in the West, let it be Chinese experts. Instead, RT and other Russian structures are so plagued with their international law and respect for the sovereignty of countries that only pedophiles can be lured there. And this is clearly reported to the top as about establishing contact with the American expert community, although not a single expert there will even shake his hand. It is clear that Scott Ritter is not currently any military expert.

For me, it's better without purchased Western experts than with such ones. The USA is a society that despises people with an unclean criminal record, and pedophiles are generally not considered people. When such a person drowns for Russia, this is only a reason to trust us even less. Even if we believe that he was once framed for criticizing the Bush administration (although this is the lot of films, it’s easier to fire him in life, and a frame-up can go wrong - and the courts with the police in the United States are not subordinate to the Pentagon or the president), for us it is changes nothing, contacting such an expert was like wallowing in mud. But this is not at all an operation to influence American political and expert circles, this is a talking head for the Russian audience, designed to mask Tuvan gently caress-upsmilitary nobility. The American expert said that we are successfully fighting fascism and we have no shortage of high-precision weapons - Zin, the American will definitely not lie.

I'm just afraid to imagine how much money the Armenians sawed up, saying that they are recruiting important members of the American expert community.

It’s time to give a respected military analyst Russian citizenship and take him to the Russian Federation, and if girls start disappearing in his area, it’s okay, it’s much more important to convey our point of view to Western partners.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し

NeatHeteroDude posted:

One simple issue is that in order to buy political ads or pay off stooges in the media you need to get money out of Russia and into the target country and that's been harder to do since sanctions largely cut off access to Russian banks early in the invasion.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ritter is an incredible failure, like even before the pedo stuff he was pegged by the FBI as an unreliable member of the IC who probably passed secrets to foreign intelligence services. As a loving counter intelligence officer, no less.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

NeatHeteroDude posted:

A lot of their propaganda boiled down to taking culture war hot topics and amplifying them. Like there was a time when people were writing and posting articles about manspreading and it turns out a lot of that was being written and boosted by Russian troll farms because it riled up American conservatives.

By contrast, creating an actual coherent message surrounding their war is not their forte. Russian propaganda, as many said above, focuses on disengagement: nothing really matters, both sides are to blame, the truth can never be truly known, etc. You still see it pop up half-heartedly with all the NATO whataboutism, which kinda works in Africa and Asia as far as disengagement messaging goes, but obviously does not easily convince a lot of people in Europd and America when it’s such a naked land grab.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Nenonen posted:

You're correct that with how international law is currently interpreted, Ukraine would be justified in retaking Crimea. But self-determination would absolutely have something to do with it because Crimea's would be violated, and self-determination is also a guiding principle in international law as well as, more importantly, an arguable human right or consequence of human rights.

Eletriarnation posted:

I think this is the essence of the matter - because Crimea was taken by force without provocation, Russia's claim to it is not legitimate. No referendum can make it legitimate after the fact, especially not one run under the shadow of the Russian state.

True as well, but what I'm saying is that Ukraine's claim to it is illegitimate also. So it comes down to which principle one prioritizes more highly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Belteshazzar posted:

One simple issue is that in order to buy political ads or pay off stooges in the media you need to get money out of Russia and into the target country and that's been harder to do since sanctions largely cut off access to Russian banks early in the invasion.

I hadn't actually heard that take before, I'm sure it's not the majorest reason (other posters have made good arguments) but it certainly seems like a plausible contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Koos Group posted:

You're correct that with how international law is currently interpreted, Ukraine would be justified in retaking Crimea. But self-determination would absolutely have something to do with it because Crimea's would be violated, and self-determination is also a guiding principle in international law as well as, more importantly, an arguable human right or consequence of human rights.

What about the self-determination of the Crimean people who fled the invasion or got ethnically cleansed in the 8 years since