Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

This is not at all surprising from the DWP, but honestly surprised they’d speak to an MSP calling on behalf of a constituent in the same way they would to us ordinary plebs. What a horrible culture that department breeds

https://twitter.com/karenadammsp/status/1582292130482962432?s=46&t=es3zYaptHS5-XLsRKOe6iw

https://twitter.com/karenadammsp/status/1582292136958996480?s=46&t=es3zYaptHS5-XLsRKOe6iw

https://twitter.com/karenadammsp/status/1582292143174914049?s=46&t=es3zYaptHS5-XLsRKOe6iw

We should burn DWP employees as winter fuel, the shower of cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Love you burn wood and fill my house with carcinogens.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh hey, a Led by Donkeys tweet that didn't make me cringe so hard my teeth fell out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

keep punching joe posted:

Love you burn wood and fill my house with carcinogens.

And the air breathed by those around you

Oct 4, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Truss can relax. Looks like the nukes are about to start flying

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1582288769369010176

Probably something to do with China recruiting RAF pilots, I imagine he's getting a dressing down from the yanks right now.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

And the air breathed by those around you
If I were in a block of flats that caught fire and was instructed to remain in place, I would simply run down the stairwell windmilling my arms around.

The point is that I get to do it, not everyone, definitely not you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spangly A posted:

The MSP absolutely hosed that and very clearly didn't even read the citizens advice site on how pip is scored before deciding to do the claim by the only method that allows the dwp to lie without getting caught.

I feel like the point is that you shouldn't need to do online research on how to ensure you tick all the boxes & jump through all the hoops to be able to claim financial support necessary to living when you are disabled in some way.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Beloved old willow like it's a 600 year old oak lol

Tom Bombadil got pretty dark with his treatment of the trees gone bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

How do you not have a passport? (Americans please ignore this question)

It's expensive. As is foreign travel. Especially as I don't like flying so any travel I do make is usually by train.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A lot of excellent stuff in this but I think my favourite subtle detail is the tory logo being a steaming turd both in panel 1 and on Hunt's shirt.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Noxville posted:

This is not at all surprising from the DWP, but honestly surprised they’d speak to an MSP calling on behalf of a constituent in the same way they would to us ordinary plebs. What a horrible culture that department breeds

https://twitter.com/karenadammsp/status/1582292130482962432?s=46&t=es3zYaptHS5-XLsRKOe6iw

https://twitter.com/karenadammsp/status/1582292136958996480?s=46&t=es3zYaptHS5-XLsRKOe6iw

https://twitter.com/karenadammsp/status/1582292143174914049?s=46&t=es3zYaptHS5-XLsRKOe6iw

"Love" the vilification of mental health issues on display as well. Lumping depressive states under "can't be bothered."

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Things journalists know: Metonyms
Things journalists don't know: Central heating

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also the infantilisation of saying they can't do it because they grew up in a benefits house and therefore never learned to do it.

Really hope the person on the other end of the phone treads on lego until they die of natural causes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Spangly A posted:

The MSP absolutely hosed that and very clearly didn't even read the citizens advice site on how pip is scored before deciding to do the claim by the only method that allows the dwp to lie without getting caught.

I mean she probably thought she was just helping out a family who didn't have a phone, and didn't expect to be dancing on egg shells to the tune of a hostile bureaucracy. That shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation really

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Tories need Ted Lasso, he'll get them sorted

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I mean she probably thought she was just helping out a family who didn't have a phone, and didn't expect to be dancing on egg shells to the tune of a hostile bureaucracy. That shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation really

Maybe not unreasonable if a friend/family member was trying to help.
But they are an MSP, if they aren't aware how evil the DWP is then they haven't been paying attention for the past decade+.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

The Tories need Ted Lasso, he'll get them sorted

They need two footing

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

Also the infantilisation of saying they can't do it because they grew up in a benefits house and therefore never learned to do it.

Really hope the person on the other end of the phone treads on lego until they die of natural causes.

One of the benefits of modern commercial bureaucratic practise is to decouple the process of decision-making from personhood. You don't feel much pain if you're a lightly edited hard pressure sales script with four hours of video lectures covering the theoretical basis of elaborated post-industrial poverty theory

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

forkboy84 posted:

I feel like the point is that you shouldn't need to do online research on how to ensure you tick all the boxes & jump through all the hoops to be able to claim financial support necessary to living when you are disabled in some way.

Absolutely agree. It is still very frustrating to watch people make the decision to rely on human decency and empathy when dealing with people who have none. The fact it's a member of parliament who made a choice not to delegate a task she wasn't remotely capable of, with a vulnerable persons financial security on the line, is giving me an unpleasant feeling that I don't think is solely just spillover from my opinions on the DWP itself.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's not an unreasonable expectation for anyone except a member of parliament with an entire paid staff for constituency surgery work. It feels like giving someone bad medical or legal advice. I've done rep work, acted as a McKenzie friend, done dozens of dwp claims and two ECHP writeups. I simply can't understand being this unprepared when someone trusts me to represent them.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 18, 2022

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I've been meaning to make a PIP application but loving hell I wonder if it might be better for my mental health not to. Cruel bunch of cunts

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deketh posted:

I've been meaning to make a PIP application but loving hell I wonder if it might be better for my mental health not to. Cruel bunch of cunts

Apply in case you do need the money, but also steel yourself to have a Tory AI answer the phone.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

sinky posted:

Maybe not unreasonable if a friend/family member was trying to help.
But they are an MSP, if they aren't aware how evil the DWP is then they haven't been paying attention for the past decade+.

Sure, even I would know better than to call the DWP in good faith. But like, you should be able to help out with a phone call to a government agency even if you're a (presumably) well-intentioned, though naive and gullible, politician.

e: nevermind

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Apply in case you do need the money, but also steel yourself to have a Tory AI answer the phone.

"AD" (Artificial Dumbass) seems more apt

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Spangly A posted:

Absolutely agree. It is still very frustrating to watch people make the decision to rely on human decency and empathy when dealing with people who have none. The fact it's a member of parliament who made a choice not to delegate a task she wasn't remotely capable of, with a vulnerable persons financial security on the line, is giving me an unpleasant feeling that I don't think is solely just spillover from my opinions on the DWP itself.

It's not an unreasonable expectation for anyone except a member of parliament with an entire paid staff for constituency surgery work. It feels like giving someone bad medical or legal advice. I've done rep work, acted as a McKenzie friend, done dozens of dwp claims and two ECHP writeups. I simply can't understand being this unprepared when someone trusts me to represent them.

I'm sure you're right about all of that, but even the distant idea of that being necessary for vulnerable people to receive help fills me with black despair.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

"AD" (Artificial Dumbass) seems more apt

nothing artificial about that tho tbh

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

I wonder if the call handler knew it was a MSP they were talking to since if petty authority is anything it recognizes hierarchy and you don't bully someone who can hit back.

Tesseraction posted:

Chucky the 3rd grew up in a benefits house and never learned to wipe his own bum so it tracks.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
YouGov poll found that "Were Liz Truss to resign, Boris Johnson tops the list of potential successors Tory members would most like to see replace her".

Lmao if the Tories really went Boris Johnson -> Liz Truss -> Boris Johnson.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1582327881224835072

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if the call handler knew it was a MSP they were talking to since if petty authority is anything it recognizes hierarchy and you don't bully someone who can hit back.

Is DWP in Scotland separate from DWP England because if not they prolly don't give a flying gently caress they angered a north-huddler.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Crymetimeboys posted:

YouGov poll found that "Were Liz Truss to resign, Boris Johnson tops the list of potential successors Tory members would most like to see replace her".

Lmao if the Tories really went Boris Johnson -> Liz Truss -> Boris Johnson.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1582327881224835072

Well good luck with that the Tory MPs themselves hate the oval office

finally finding something I agree with them on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao Gove. Not quite 'nobody likes you (Grant)' levels but enough that it's got to sting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't worry Liz, half the people who literally just voted for you still support you https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1582327864154009601

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Even funnier than Johnson->Truss-Johnson:

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1582324631129665538

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Z the IVth posted:

I remember when I did my PIP interview they were saying "oh we don't need to know why you're assisting with the claim" but my social worker barrelled through and dumped his credentials at high speed, so there's obviously some known interplay there.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
what about IDS

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'd rather have IBS

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

gently caress it, let's go full olde tyme memry, what's William Hague up to

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

*banging on table* thatcher’s corpse! thatcher’s corpse!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Just a repeating May --> Bojo --> Truss sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How do you not have a passport? (Americans please ignore this question)
It costs £75 to apply and I don't have £75 spare. If I can't afford the passport I certainly can't afford a holiday abroad, so what's the point in applying?

Spangly A posted:

I don't see your point. Are you saying the MSP should have known about the 3rd party site before applying? The phone call is the method they push you towards now, I had to spent an age trawling autism sites to find the address to get a physical form.

I have a tribunal with them next month, am I also a dipshit for not finding that site, or a different site that gives the magic right answers either? I am, but not for that reason.

Spangly A posted:

The fact it's a member of parliament who made a choice not to delegate a task she wasn't remotely capable of, with a vulnerable persons financial security on the line, is giving me an unpleasant feeling that I don't think is solely just spillover from my opinions on the DWP itself.
Right, but the problem here is the DWP and the attitudes and lack of training of it's staff. The fact that an MSP didn't find the site and that they talked to her like that over the phone shows how bad the DWP are, not how poorly the MSP handled the application.

Look at it another way - if the MSP had done it your way and handled it 'correctly,' that would just reinforce the privelage in the application system and still not help the majority of applicants that the system summarily refuses.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 18, 2022