Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

Which games do y’all think have the best exploration and/or dungeons?

Tales of Berseria ftw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Best exploration is Skies of Arcadia, though the dungeons are nothing special?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Best exploration is Skies of Arcadia, though the dungeons are nothing special?

The dungeons are kind of infuriating because from that area of random battle jrgps they had a particularly bad encounter rate.

The gamecube version is almost perfect plus has the extra super hard battles where the only effective strategy I found was to slowly charge spirit with Vyse, have Aika cast Delta Shield (100% magic shield) and Enrique cast Justice Shield (100% physical shield) and repeatedly nuke them all with Vyse's special after 4-5 turns of charging.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it is perfect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Locke posted:

Fun dungeons are a staggering rarity in the genre. Part of why P5 stands out is that the good ones really don't feel like RPG dungeons, but like really simplified stealth action game. Even compared to RPGs that I feel like have good dungeon design like the Mario and Luigi games or Valkyrie Profile are further removed from P5 then say Sly 2 or something.

I guess what I'm sayin' is that it's a shame the Sly Cooper games never got a release on PS4 because that'd absolutely be my recommendations going forward if you really like the palace exploration in P5.

honestly have no idea why they skipped over them but i guess sony has not been known for consistency in what old playstation games they've brought over. why did they remaster, jak, and not the two other major american mascot ps2 franchises that have in a lot of ways aged better.

sly's best consolation is that its hd ps3 rerelease is nowhere near as horribly buggy and ill-conceived as ratchet and jak's, it gets to have the dignity of functional graphical rendering and a proper widescreen field of view rather than a squished down one that cuts out visual information, but that's not much consolation when it's already fell out of easy modern availability for people who aren't buying gaming hardware from 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

Tales of Berseria ftw!

i like berseria but 3d tales dungeons are maybe not what someone looking for engaging exploration wants. abyss and graces f have okay puzzle-focused ones but that's about the 3d side of the series' high bar for quality

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 18, 2022

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah that is like literally the first comment I have even seen give Berseria dungeons/exploration a positive review. The dungeons in modern Tales game hit the RPG minimum quality of “It exists and doesn’t wish to make me backtrack through 80 rooms”

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mysticblade posted:

I just finished off The Final Loop and now I have more thoughts on all that.

That worked infinitely better as a midgame fake out bad end than a proper ending. I wasn't aware that Vellsar was a continuation of Rivayle until I actually started it. Vellsar part 1 was pretty good with the only one I didn't really like being Kagero, I thought he was kind of dull. Drache is kind of a brat but at least he did things, I liked Sekka a lot and I found Aluzard's bit fascinating, I'd almost put it on par with Baron/Bunny's chapter. Vellsar part 2 feels like it might spent a bit too much time on convincing Aluzard to come around. Overall, I liked Vellsar stand alone fine although it's hard to really judge it in isolation considering that Vellsar part 2 directly leads into the crossover chapter.

I liked the Final Loop a lot because it had very fix fic vibes for the lack of a better term? Someone taking a downer of a story and shoving in new characters to fix everything up. But I'd really been wanting them to succeed in Rivayle so I'm absolutely willing to indulge in things here. Kagero showing up and immediately kicking the poo poo out of Zecil was extremely cathartic because dear god, that jackass didn't stop gloating and being a pest during Rivayle part 2. I think it might've dragged on a bit too long overall but there were a lot of beats to hit so I'm not sure how you could cut or restructure things to speed things up without losing something.

The Nexus stuff was well, kind of eh? I've completely forgotten most of her deal since I did that story back in like 2018 and I wasn't willing to go back and replay those chapters. I wasn't expecting Nexus to straight up die here though nor was I expecting a random anime scene in the middle of things.

Gameplay wise, I was pretty impressed. They've kept up the gimmick duels from the forest arc and some of those go hard like the final Icey duel. I was extremely glad that the Turn 8 Storm with both titan cards let me OTK him, the random leader effects that never get explained were pretty annoying and I was pretty sure that Icey had a gimmick where he deal damage taken back to you? I got stuck on two Zecil duels for a bit which might make me a bit more annoyed at him. I just got back into the game so aside from Shadow (abusing Hydra) and Blood (got enough Wrath cards to pretend it was a Wrath deck) I was running a lot of really lovely decks.

anyway, it was pretty good and I'll check the Inn chapters when I get a chance but jesus, they better not pull some cliffhanger bullshit like that again

Lemme know if the new story is any good I haven't played since they nerfed my favorite deck

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

I suppose, but I also think that complete non-randomness open up a lot of design space for cutting things very close, like the player intentionally taking a hit that will leave them at 2 HP because they know that's going to happen. Like, it lets you plan ahead and I think that's fun? As opposed to repeatedly doing the exact same thing which has the best odds of success, even if it sometimes fails.

After playing Crystal Project (and some other stuff) I'm of the mind that deterministic combat and displaying turn order are essential to a good jrpg battle system these days. As you said it just opens the tactical space a bunch

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

babypolis posted:

After playing Crystal Project (and some other stuff) I'm of the mind that deterministic combat and displaying turn order are essential to a good jrpg battle system these days. As you said it just opens the tactical space a bunch

I love this too. STS was my first experience of a game being so transparent. Getting hosed sideways feels way less poo poo when the mechanisms are made clear. More room to learn, too.

What other stuff does transparent mechanics exceptionally well?

I feel like a lot of experiments to this end can feel really loving dry, as though it’s over-designed. Sometimes when I see something like this done poorly, I get a vision of the sort of person building the game, and it’s usually not very complimentary. Often, it feels like someone who was more in love with the numbers than the flavor and theming.

No shade thrown, but Siralim gives me that vibe a lot, even though it is pretty robust and fun to mess with.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
randomness in a battle system is cool but it requires you to ask a lot of questions about what the randomness is meant to convey and whether it's conceptually fun to engage with and for most jrpg battle systems it's easier to just have a pretty simple setup that feels good to go through every once in a while and doesn't waste too much of your time. the games where randomness works best tend to be built around managing the chaos and risk of it, rather than setting up your sick ultra combo or just having a brief change of pace from the more casual exploration and questing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 18, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know if I'd call them the best ever, but the Mario & Luigi GBA and DS RPGs and the first Paper Mario dungeons were pretty fun back in the 2000s.

I can't say how people would feel about them now, especially with TTYD going for 180$ or something nowadays.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

King's Field games have a lot of flaws but the exploration is extremely good and always kept me hooked despite the annoyances

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I've found I like turn-based RPG combat to be more deterministic than not. Dodge chances and random percents can find their place, but turn order is one of those things I've come to really prefer being either static and/or visibly shown. The order your turns go in is significant in the strategy of it.

A fun enough or well enough designed combat system can get by on it's own though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've actually found that I like RNG situations where they are a genuine choice.

Like to use a weird example, the Mario + Rabbids game played like XCOM but without RNG except in situations where you or the enemy were in cover. That made taking a shot an informed risk rather than 95% chance miss rate. You might hit or you might not but it was in that very specific situation that it was RNG, so you were encouraged to see if you could use the game's movement tech to figure out a way to assure a hit instead. That's a good example of RNG because it gives you a reason to gamble but also gives you tools so you don't have to.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ImpAtom posted:

Like to use a weird example, the Mario + Rabbids game played like XCOM but without RNG except in situations where you or the enemy were in cover. That made taking a shot an informed risk rather than 95% chance miss rate. You might hit or you might not but it was in that very specific situation that it was RNG, so you were encouraged to see if you could use the game's movement tech to figure out a way to assure a hit instead. That's a good example of RNG because it gives you a reason to gamble but also gives you tools so you don't have to.

Oh, yeah, I can love a good gamble if it's implemented well like how that sounds. I just find on the whole, most RNG implementations don't deliver in a satisfying way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odd Wilson posted:

Oh, yeah, I can love a good gamble if it's implemented well like how that sounds. I just find on the whole, most RNG implementations don't deliver in a satisfying way.

Oh yeah, I agree. I think RNG has its place but it is a place where you need to decide if a gamble is worth it and there is a non-gamble option, rather than just "every attack is a gamble."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

What is life if not a long series of universal scale RNGs

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think RNG goes well with dungeon crawling: a good dungeon crawler is in many ways a push-your-luck game, and it makes the game more interesting to give normal encounters a bit of randomness. That way, the player can choose between a riskier option that will probably use fewer resources, and a safer strategy that will probably use more. For example, I think Etrian Odyssey would suffer were it more deterministic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

also it's a flat 50% of the time, every time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I respect the existence of low accuracy attacks even if I will never use them. Unless I can stack accuracy to counteract the penalty, in which case I will use the heck out of them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 19, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I've been playing through Arcanum for the first time in 3 or 4 years and having a blast, man is it even buggier than I remembered. twice now I've just had Sogg disappear from my party in two different saves in non-combat situations and not appear at either Shrouded Hills inn or that little spot he's supposed to have by the river to be re-recruited. both times he was carrying the god damned Sword of Baltar. also had Chukka glitch out when I loaded a previously fine save, went from +30~ opinion to -xx, left my party and aggroed on us only to get cleaved in two by Magnus immediately. Mandalore just released a new retrospective video about it that was good so maybe it will get some extra attention on the internet for an extra week or two. the most recent (from 2020) Unofficial Arcanum Patch added the ability to play as full Orc/Ogre/Dark Elf characters and at least for the dark elves, there actually are game references to you being a sicko elf

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Now that I have a Steam Deck and it's easy as hell to carry a magical emulator machine around on me, I'm curious about rom hacks. Any particularly good bugfix or QoL hacks for "classic" RPGs? I'm thinking probably PS2 era and earlier. I'd also be curious about whether there are any really good added content mods/hacks but I've never come across any that were particularly good or didn't just break game balance in hilarious ways.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Shout outs to Golden Sun's damage randomizer which was adding a random number between 0-3. Just enough to make it look random but functionally non-existent.

This also reminded me that enemy HP values weren't static in old DQ games. They were slightly randomized so it would be hard to tell just how much damage you'd need to do to eliminate an enemy in any given encounter, especially early game where you could actually keep the numbers straight.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like randomized stats on mobs because it helps sell you on the illusion that its a living world with many creatures even if there's only like 20 monster sprites for the entire game.

They should take a step further and randomize their movesets too and add random visual flairs/embellishments

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

Shout outs to Golden Sun's damage randomizer which was adding a random number between 0-3. Just enough to make it look random but functionally non-existent.

This also reminded me that enemy HP values weren't static in old DQ games. They were slightly randomized so it would be hard to tell just how much damage you'd need to do to eliminate an enemy in any given encounter, especially early game where you could actually keep the numbers straight.

I played like the first thirty minutes of the first GS game and I mainly remember liking the damage breakdown at the end of your turn. "[Enemy took 1 HP of damage]" or something like that.

It's just very helpful to me instead of numbers floating by. In FFXII which I've been playing, there is this huge enemy where I couldn't even see ht edamage I was (not) doing with my physical attacks until I got the camera in just the right angle.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah games like dragon quest and Golden Sun feed you battle info in text/storybook format and I've always been a fan of that. Definitely helps kids get better at reading without them realizing they're "reading" which is a nice bonus.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I always found it fun that in modern DQ games for AoE attacks the game doesn't break down the exact damage each target took, it just goes "The enemies took around 20 points of damage each" or something like that.

NikkolasKing posted:

I played like the first thirty minutes of the first GS game and I mainly remember liking the damage breakdown at the end of your turn. "[Enemy took 1 HP of damage]" or something like that.

It's just very helpful to me instead of numbers floating by. In FFXII which I've been playing, there is this huge enemy where I couldn't even see ht edamage I was (not) doing with my physical attacks until I got the camera in just the right angle.

There was one RPG (I think it was VP: Covenant of the Plume) where you can't actually see how much damage one of the stronger attacks in the game does because the camera for the attack goes just a little bit off field to hide the damage numbers. This was probably an intentional joke though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I guess I kind of get the idea that like.. "in our story driven game if people see the entire story including the end they won't want or need to buy it themselves" and how that'd be something they consider

But it's definitely a pretty dumb idea cause I think that's been disproven a ton of times since streaming and such took off. Definitely gotta chalk it up to execs being out of touch

Some companies understand streaming can help drive sales. Guardians of the Galaxy had a special streaming mode, which just changed the soundtrack to eliminate the licensed music so you wouldn't run afoul of an auto ban.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat Nuwa doesn't gently caress around with the sacrifice of clay+critical attack

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm watching RPGLimitBreak's Suikothon and I somehow forgot just how bad Suikoden 4 was. Bad graphics, bad story, bad voice acting, bad protagonist, bad true rune, bad overworld, just bad. I'm amazed they even had the chance to make another game before the series died.

Suikoden 3 still looks decent though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Suikoden 5 came out quickly enough after 4 and Tactics that I think there may have been some overlap in their development cycles, especially with Hudson brought on to speed things up. Maybe 5 was already too far along to be worth cancelling.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm watching RPGLimitBreak's Suikothon and I somehow forgot just how bad Suikoden 4 was. Bad graphics, bad story, bad voice acting, bad protagonist, bad true rune, bad overworld, just bad. I'm amazed they even had the chance to make another game before the series died.

Suikoden 3 still looks decent though.

It's too bad 4 sucked because the idea of the castle being a boat and having nautical adventures was cool.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

there's also the fact that bad sequels usually sell alright because people don't generally pay that much attention to reviews, it's the game after the bad sequel that will suffer for the sins of its predecessors. this is why many a series has been stopped right after an excellent game that was looking to turn things around.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the more bizarre kind of outcome, where you get like a battle network and 4 peaked and then subsequently tanked the series' sales after they followed it up with 5, but then 5 being pretty decent led to significantly increased sales on 6 and then capcom canned the series. and then they started a new series that, split the fanbase and had a middling start and a worse followup. literally would have been way better off just continuing battle network, the sales, were visibly improving and star force just ended up actually selling worse because everything about it was so obtuse

was also funny when they were doing a weird port of battle network 1 and said "i think this game... will appeal to both battle network and star force fans wink" and what that meant was it was literally just battle network 1 with one extra chapter where star force crosses over into it. was capcom trying to make everyone as confused as possible in the ds era. what was their plan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

there's also the fact that bad sequels usually sell alright because people don't generally pay that much attention to reviews, it's the game after the bad sequel that will suffer for the sins of its predecessors. this is why many a series has been stopped right after an excellent game that was looking to turn things around.

It is not a bad game but everybody said it was for a decade, but Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are the best proof of this I know. MGS3 is one of the most universally praised games I know but it sold much less than 2 because 2 left such a sour taste in the mouths of millions of gamers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MGS2 is one of the greatest games ever made though so it doesn't really track

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

MGS2 is one of the greatest games ever made though so it doesn't really track

I love MGS2 but the bait and switch left a huge sour note for a lot of people. It is why the next *three* games feature attempts at either mocking or redoing Raiden.

Pre MGS4 dude was reviled and it wasn't until Revengence that there was a real turn around.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Which games do y’all think have the best exploration and/or dungeons?

Well-hidden loot, interesting locales, multilayered or twisty paths that let you return to old places from a new perspective, cool and interesting puzzles, I think these are the things that she’d be most interested in.

Looking specifically for PS4 and Switch stuff, old or new, doesn’t matter.

Don’t care if it’s western or JRPG, turn-based is probably best, since real time combat stresses her out.

Otherwise, what do y’all think are top tier dungeons in general? Just curious.

Have you tried Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or the 3DS remake Link Between Worlds? Both are light on story and just fun to wander around in with solid dungeon mechanics. You need to be very thorough with exploration to finish the game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sometimes great art just isn't appreciated in its own time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I love MGS2 but the bait and switch left a huge sour note for a lot of people. It is why the next *three* games feature attempts at either mocking or redoing Raiden.

Pre MGS4 dude was reviled and it wasn't until Revengence that there was a real turn around.

Yep. It's a weird feeling but after a few more years, I'll probably run into kids who are like "what? People hate MGS2 and Raiden? No way!" and I'll have to point to Raikov in MGS3 or dig up old threads like Chip Cheezum's LP to show that, yes, at one point in time, Raiden was just a giant gay joke and MGS2 was derided as the most pretentious garbage ever in a video game.

I loved MGS2 since the start and argued with people for years and years until one day it all just flipped. People always have different explanations for these reversals. Either all the haters just left and stopped talking about it or people realized it was good. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.