Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chicago's on a west coast, come play for the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Well uh, this doesn't bode well for the guy:

https://twitter.com/MarinersSUR/status/1582397824209416192?s=19

Absolutely makes sense given he lost all his strength and was a horrid defender.

At this point you just have to assume he doesn't like or want to be in Seattle, right? He was perennially a plus-plus bat until totally falling off this year, and he's only 28 so it's not like he hit an age wall or anything. Throw this in on top and it just seems like he's not getting along with anybody.

Hand Knit posted:

What would an Ohtani trade package look like? I feel like the Jays have at least the start of one in something like Moreno/Tiedemann/Gurriel but it's been a long time since I've paid such close attention to either the Jays' farm system or prospect trade values more generally.

My guess is the Angels would want a king's ransom under the expectation that anybody who trades for Ohtani is immediately going to go all in to extend him long term. Soto-level returns as a baseline, would be my guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I feel like to trade for Ohtani you gotta give up another star player or two, not just a bunch of prospects or upside guys. Ohtani is worth too much on and off the field and the Angels clearly aren’t afraid to waste him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't know if there is a "fair" trade partner for Ohtani, much like how it was for Soto. You either just end up accepting the best offer cause you are going to move him or say no and hold onto him

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sydin posted:

My guess is the Angels would want a king's ransom under the expectation that anybody who trades for Ohtani is immediately going to go all in to extend him long term. Soto-level returns as a baseline, would be my guess.

This goes back to me not understanding prospect values. I'm with you that the trade would take a king's ransom. I just don't have a good feel on just how much the Jays would have to put together to ransom King Ohtani. I mean it obviously starts with Kirk/Moreno because that's the best trade piece they have to offer. And then Tiedemann is their next best prospect (I think) and Gurriel is a decent player being displaced. The question is, I guess, how much more and how good would the Jays have to add to that. (And, I guess similarly, what's the trade value of guys like Orelvis Martinez.)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Hand Knit posted:

What would an Ohtani trade package look like? I feel like the Jays have at least the start of one in something like Moreno/Tiedemann/Gurriel but it's been a long time since I've paid such close attention to either the Jays' farm system or prospect trade values more generally.

Best the Mariners could do is like

Ty France
JP Crawford
Evan White/Jarred Kelenic/Taylor Trammell (Angels get their pick of as many and who they want)
Harry Ford
Bryce Miller
Lazaro Montes

And at that point you're well into just throwing a bunch of prospects after a superstar. On second thought that looks pretty short, M's probably can't make a real offer.

I'd imagine you can't get it done unless you're moving 2-3 actual major leaguers + 2-3 top level prospects

A hypothetical Jays deal would hinge around Bichette, probably? Adding him in with Gurriel, Kirk, and then your prospects would be tough to match/beat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the secret to trade value is it’s all made up. It’s all based on the seller and the market. If a team is determined to sell they’ll take the best deal they can get. If someone wants it badly enough they can put together a good enough package to make it happen. So who knows?

New ownership or transition team could want to sell him at any cost in which case it’s just a bidding war to see how high it goes. Or they’re content with what they paid tor in which case someone’s gonna have to give them an offer they can’t refuse.

But yeah. If I had to guess I’d say a Jays deal opens with Bichette as the center of the trade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC There was an estimate that Othani brings in $20-35M extra revenue for the Angels above and beyond other players because of his marketability, popularity, and appeal in Japan. If that's true then it's also possible that the Angels won't trade Ohtani, and instead use him as part of the pitch to potential buyers: hey not only will you get the Angels but if you immediately go all in and extend Ohtani, you'll get a guy who brings in a ton of extra dollars. Which would actually be the opposite of the Soto situation, where he got dumped because potential new owners didn't want to inherit the bad will that would come with refusing to give Soto the $500M extension or whatever he wants.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Knit posted:

This goes back to me not understanding prospect values. I'm with you that the trade would take a king's ransom. I just don't have a good feel on just how much the Jays would have to put together to ransom King Ohtani. I mean it obviously starts with Kirk/Moreno because that's the best trade piece they have to offer. And then Tiedemann is their next best prospect (I think) and Gurriel is a decent player being displaced. The question is, I guess, how much more and how good would the Jays have to add to that. (And, I guess similarly, what's the trade value of guys like Orelvis Martinez.)

It all kinda depends on the Angels own internal scouting of the Jays farm. Prospect rankings are fun for our benefit but FO's don't really put much stock in them: they have their own proprietary evaluations of their farm and the farms of potential trade partners. It's possible the Angels will demand guys you've never even heard of, or say your "top" prospects actually suck by their internal reckoning and they want MLB-ready talent instead.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Chicago's on a west coast, come play for the Cubs.

Are he and Seiya buddies? If not, they should be.

Also the coast in Chicago is very much on the east side.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Teams should have to trade their best pitcher and second best hitter for Ohtani, none of this prospects malarkey

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Somebody tell him that the water from our coast is actually drinkable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs should trade for Ohtani and also pick up Senga when he gets posted this offseason. Just bring in all the cool Japanese players.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Somebody tell him that the water from our coast is actually drinkable.

The difference in water bills when I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago was something else

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sydin posted:

Cubs Mariners should trade for Ohtani and also pick up Senga when he gets posted this offseason. Just bring in all the cool Japanese players.

I agree!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

Cubs should trade for Ohtani and also pick up Senga when he gets posted this offseason. Just bring in all the cool Japanese players.

The Angels would really be spitting in their fans' faces trading him inside the division.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
can't wait until the A's trade the entire roster and field a AA team next year hell yeah

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

oh my god mcmagic shut the gently caress up

he's right though

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Are he and Seiya buddies? If not, they should be.

Also the coast in Chicago is very much on the east side.

I probably should have thought this through more. My definition of "on a western side of a body of water" includes the likes of the Mets and Yankees. We don't want that. I need to do better if we're to land him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

The Angels would really be spitting in their fans' faces trading him inside the division.

The Angels have been doing that by wasting Trout and Ohtani tho

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Forrest on Fire posted:

Wow I totally agree with this!

He'd get the same experience of not threatening contention, but it's cheaper to live there and the team is less cursed more inept.

Hey!!!!!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Angels have been doing that by wasting Trout and Ohtani tho

Nobody made Trout resign with the Angels. He has only himself to blame.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

maffew buildings posted:

can't wait until the A's trade the entire roster and field a AA team next year hell yeah

That's more or less what they did this year

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
no way this years team would have cleaned up in AAA but NEXT YEAR JUST WAIT

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners and Angels never make trades. They've traded with other division rivals (infamously, the Cliff Lee for Justin Smoak package with Texas) so it isn't out of the question Seattle does it, but... I'm not convinced.

Best you try to pick him up as an FA.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I figure what with the whole Rogers communications thing we can absorb some of their high money bad contracts to help things along?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would like Cleveland to stop facing the Yankees and Astros every time and losing to the same players like Cole.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

On one hand I feel like Ohtani gets less of a prospect package than Soto cause of his being a UFA in a year.

On the other hand you're getting a #1 starter AND someone who is immediately your best or second best hitter. So do you have to pay for both of those???

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there any trick for getting MLB caps for less than 40ish dollars? It looks like there are dozens of near-identical Fanatics sites that have different promos and stuff but no matter what you're paying $40-50.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any trick for getting MLB caps for less than 40ish dollars? It looks like there are dozens of near-identical Fanatics sites that have different promos and stuff but no matter what you're paying $40-50.

How many hats are you buying? I got the premium access pass cause it about pays for itself if you buy a single hat per year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Part of the problem is that I believe Fanatics has a monopoly on most league merch now

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of the problem is that I believe Fanatics has a monopoly on most league merch now

Yep, I think all of the current stuff goes through them and all of the "throwback" stuff is Mitchell & Ness who don't seem to do any MLB hats anyway.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Waiting in my library copy of Book of Joe.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Speaking of caps, does anyone have any idea where I could find a Mariners cap that would actually fit my huge head? Everything is one size fits all and the specialty big-hat places I've found online only have the big market teams.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Eldoop posted:

Speaking of caps, does anyone have any idea where I could find a Mariners cap that would actually fit my huge head? Everything is one size fits all and the specialty big-hat places I've found online only have the big market teams.

Do you know your hat size? Sizes over 8 can be tough to come by, but knowing what to look for in a fitted might help.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

more falafel please posted:

Do you know your hat size? Sizes over 8 can be tough to come by, but knowing what to look for in a fitted might help.

I'm an 8 so in fitted range, I should've specified I'm really looking for a snapback or other adjustable cap. Fitteds are nice but not really my style, far too hip for me. I need the little window in the back to pull my ponytail through and achieve real momcore vibes

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Get one really nice fitted cap from a loved one and then keep tweaking it until it finally fits perfectly and the brim is just the way you like it and you wear it at Progressive Field as the Cubs win game 7 and it's absorbed the same rain that soaked the players on the field that day, blessing the cap to become a LUCKY cap and you wear it while buying a Megamillions ticket and you win the jackpot and run outside, whooping and hollering but the brim of your lucky cap prevents you from seeing the falling air conditioner unit that crushes you to death and then you're buried in your favorite lucky cap for all eternity

(mostly a true story)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

I'm hoping they go full Suzuki Roadshow to woo Senga, with any luck he's friends with Darvish too.

As far as an Ohtani deal the Cubs, maybe the Ricketts really do feel some heat from the fanbase and they have the pieces - 2 out of of Pete Crow-Armstrong/Brennan Davis/Kevin Alcantara/Owen Cassie/Kevin Alcantara pile, and then 2-3 more young arms probably starting with Wesneski. If the Cubs really do intend to sign a SS maybe the deal shifts to Nico/Cristian Hernandez+ an OF+Arms and they should absolutely do it if there's even a chance at an extension.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 19, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jose Ramirez is having surgery on one of his hands that he put off midseason because it would have cost him significant playing time this year. He's expected to be back for ST.

https://twitter.com/ZackMeisel/status/1582860977791377408?s=20&t=z7suPutrRjOSITKHgMxX2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Get one really nice fitted cap from a loved one and then keep tweaking it until it finally fits perfectly and the brim is just the way you like it and you wear it at Progressive Field as the Cubs win game 7 and it's absorbed the same rain that soaked the players on the field that day, blessing the cap to become a LUCKY cap and you wear it while buying a Megamillions ticket and you win the jackpot and run outside, whooping and hollering but the brim of your lucky cap prevents you from seeing the falling air conditioner unit that crushes you to death and then you're buried in your favorite lucky cap for all eternity

(mostly a true story)

Writing all this down, thank you