Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
idk about pumping chemicals down into the earth for short term gains is the way to go really

otoh it would be cool if you could light your tapwater on fire

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Der Meister posted:

this is tremendous content

https://twitter.com/leechwaifu/status/1582812091836116993

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-nuclear-warhead-maintenance-staff-to-vote-on-strikes-12724534
UK nuclear warhead maintenance staff to vote on strike action

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/carolinenokes/status/1582795808872636419

https://twitter.com/jamesduddridge/status/1582811950722928641

Excuses excuses.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Because she chased her down the lobby to convince her not to resign.

lmao

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

:cheersbird:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

WrasslorMonkey posted:

[UK] No. gently caress

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's pretty impressive how even when winning a vote in Parliament Liz manages to come out a loser. That takes skill

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
voting against a motion of confidence in yourself sure is something

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Are there any good things I can read about what the hell is driving this colossal gently caress up? I can't understand how Liz Truss is crashing and burning so fast.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Raskolnikov38 posted:

voting against a motion of confidence in yourself sure is something

Oh, she just abstained.

Tom Tucker posted:

Are there any good things I can read about what the hell is driving this colossal gently caress up? I can't understand how Liz Truss is crashing and burning so fast.

Liz Truss co-authored a book in 2012 called Brittania Unchained with a handful of other wingnut Tory MPs (including Priti Patel & Kwasi Kwarteng). I tried reading it and wanted to die but I do believe you'd understand she's a sincere libertarian, which is the root of her idiocy

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Oh god Libertarian out of sincere belief and not cold calculating self-interest? There's nothing more dangerous.

So what am I missing the sequence of events here:

1) Boris Johnson finally resigns after spitting directly on his own covid restrictions constantly
2) The Tories put Liz Truss in as MP
3) She proposes massive tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy
4) This is dumb and financial markets and basically everyone loses their poo poo and the UK economy tanks
5) She has to walk this back and is immediately lambasted for being a total failure
6) Someone in her cabinet has to resign
7) Her party whips literally tried to whip people into a room on a vote of no confidence
8) Someone has a live stream set up to see if a lettuce will outlive her career

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The vote was on banning fracking, the whips just went oogaboogawooga and tried to scare mps into voting no

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
because all the countryside tory mps know that the fracking is going to happen in their backyard and it's hugely unpopular, the vote would have passed. they couldn't let labour pass one good bill ever so they're all biting their noses off about it

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Tom Tucker posted:

Oh god Libertarian out of sincere belief and not cold calculating self-interest? There's nothing more dangerous.

1) Boris Johnson finally resigns after spitting directly on his own covid restrictions constantly
4) This is dumb and financial markets and basically everyone loses their poo poo and the UK economy tanks
5) She has to walk this back and is immediately lambasted for being a total failure
7) Her party whips literally tried to whip people into a room on a vote of no confidence
you forgot "the IMF confuses the UK for a developing country, offers 'assistance'"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1582895621962203138

liz truss has decided to punish.... liz truss

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

well it should be noted that the markets were primed to dump uk government debt when the mini budget was announced for reasons relating to central bank stuff (mainly just us fed and bank of england) and general bad economy stuff (uk imports lots of food and energy and is thus sensitive to currency stuff, global demand for whatever it is the uk makes is probably down since it's not food or energy). the fact that the plans were ludicrously unrealistic probably made the market reaction way worse than it would have been, but there is a very small element of scapegoating on the part of e.g. the bank of england in all this

the other thing is that hunt, who replaced kwarteng, is considered close to her group's rivals and it looks like her team is somehow being taken over by other elements of the party who are now trying to bring policy into standard imf austerity line without replacing the leader, adding a whole extra level of "who voted for this" type illegitimacy to the charade

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol you lot are asleep and it keeps getting funnier

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'[m here!!!!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
sleep through the days lol through the nights

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

holy loving poo poo, the content

but explain something to me please because I re-read the stuff and got confused: wasn't this a Labour motion? Like, if I am understanding this correctly, the tories turned a bait into a suicidal charge?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yes there was no reason at all for any of this happen

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

but explain something to me please because I re-read the stuff and got confused: wasn't this a Labour motion? Like, if I am understanding this correctly, the tories turned a bait into a suicidal charge?

it wasn't even bait but yes, lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

- everything that Liz Truss has done so far.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it wasn't even bait but yes, lol

lol and lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

She is incredibly pro fracking despite it generally being worthless in the UK and the labour amendment would have banned it forever

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fracking is great when you can profit off the land sales and equipment installation and face no responsibility or consequences for anything that follows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Cadmarch/status/1582973710671093760?t=yKnpgDGZrWQzUClu5-QR1g&s=19

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I’m pretty sure Czar Nicholas polled better

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A timeless post.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Imagine a bill in the US congress banning fracking for the entire country

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmfao England

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1583003281332219904

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

didn’t they say this yesterday too? iirc some unnamed sources said, like, hours.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

30 megatons on Chequers likely to pass by Friday

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Another four cases of child abuse just ignored by the gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

didn’t they say this yesterday too?

they did but I'm here for the drama. better source with more updates: