Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

zero. If he's supposed to pay a billion and the bankruptcy court establishes he only has 1/10th of that then all of that gets seized and any money he makes in the future will be garnished till the day he dies, but he won't go to prison.

Can't he go to jail if the bankruptcy court establishes that he does have money that he unsucessfully tried to hide (e.g. in a foreign bank account) and he refuses to hand it over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Can't he go to jail if the bankruptcy court establishes that he does have money that he unsucessfully tried to hide (e.g. in a foreign bank account) and he refuses to hand it over?

one can only hope

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Troubadour posted:

I only have one question for you. Are you Doobie Keebler?

I can definitively state that I am not Doobie Keebler.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

How? Banks do what the court tells them, physical assets are basically repo'd.

Edit: pretty sure Jones is dumb as poo poo and hasn't sent jack poo poo overseas and forensic accountants will find the domestic stuff. Dude was not remotely clever in trying to hide stuff. Goes back to my previous point about hiring, and listening to, good accountants/lawyers

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I think the only thing he could possibly go to jail for is perjury as he's definitely lied to multiple courts.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I think we need to corner the “Alex Jones Town” t-shirt market before it blows up. I will workshop ideas tomorrow if I remember this.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Fell Mood posted:

I think the only thing he could possibly go to jail for is perjury as he's definitely lied to multiple courts.

I mean, true, but this is basically never done. he is the most unsympathetic defendant of all time but I don’t think we’re gonna see this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Bastardly posted:

I apologize in advance if this has been asked already, but given the certain likelihood that the egg shaped fuckman known as Alexander Jones cannot possibly pay what he rightly owes, what is the likelihood he will go to prison for failing to pay up?

Debtor's prisons are pretty scarce these days.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

I mean officially yeah.

But there's a direct correlation between being poor and whether you'll get a sentence that includes prison time, and the 13th amendment doesn't protect the incarcerated...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

*Some restrictions may apply, offer not valid in the state of poverty.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jones has no doubt committed several financial crimes that could very well be uncovered during his bankruptcy hearing. Fraud is a crime too.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

time for a double probation

those thumbs are dirty!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jones can't go to jail for failing to satisfy a judgment if he pays to he best of his ability. He can go to jail for civil contempt if and when he engages in shenanigans during the attempt to collect on that judgment beyond what the court would deem beyond the pale, like repeatedly and willfully violating court orders. And yes, it is probable he'll do some stupidly illegal things that are capital F felonies, because he's an idiot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SolTerrasa posted:

I mean, true, but this is basically never done. he is the most unsympathetic defendant of all time but I don’t think we’re gonna see this.

You're right that this is super rare. You'd have to do something like lie to the court repeatedly in a way to disrupt it and piss off the judge or a prosecutor enough that they'd want to do a smackdown. Why would anyone want to pursue that for Jones?

I'm not saying it will happen, but this is pretty much the exact situation where it would happen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

tl;dr there are two possible states for Alex to exist in going forward.

- Relatively poor (probably lower-middle class standard and not allowed to accrue wealth), forced to live paycheck to paycheck forever.
- In jail for felonies from attempting to avoid the above fate.

The most likely outcome of this is probably #2 because Alex isn't a cooperative person and will absolutely think he can outsmart the courts somehow. I think at a minimum he will at least try, I suppose it's possible that the judge might decide to just intercept whatever he does and somehow put some real fear into him, opting not to put him in prison yet.

I think it's more or less impossible for Alex to be "secretly rich", if by some miracle he gets his hands on some decent money that the courts somehow miss initially, it's going to be really obvious when he suddenly has a new car or something like that. At best he could have like a secret offshore account or crypto wallet, but it will more or less exclusively amount to a number he can look at but doesn't actually get him anything useful.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If by some distantly unlikely fluke I end up with over a hundred million dollars the first thing I'll do is hide a few million, before even sensibly investing the money or quitting my job. Hamfistedly pay too much to convert it into a million in gold, a million in cash and million in something that won't rot and bury it way out in the back country somewhere.

Assuming I don't forget where it is if the worst happens and my hotdog investments fall through or I'm forced to give it all up after I slander, threaten and defame innocent people for a decade at least I have something left over.

E: actually, I could just hide it under my mattress, noone's gonna think to look there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Convert it to platinum wrapped gemstones and have the bundle implanted in your abdomen.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

univbee posted:

I think it's more or less impossible for Alex to be "secretly rich", if by some miracle he gets his hands on some decent money that the courts somehow miss initially, it's going to be really obvious when he suddenly has a new car or something like that. At best he could have like a secret offshore account or crypto wallet, but it will more or less exclusively amount to a number he can look at but doesn't actually get him anything useful.

How did OJ keep his relatively upper-class lifestyle then?

Not pissing off the courts so much?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

thoughts and prayers posted:

he moved to florida to shield his NFL pension and house because of Florida specific bankruptcy protections

the courts basically seized all of his earnings on stuff post civil case and paid them to the goldman and brown families

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

His NFL and SAG pensions apparently can’t be touched. I think there is also something about real estate laws in Florida making it hard to get money there.

Edit: what they said ^^

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
like the courts had no problem auctioning off his Heisman trophy for 500 grand or giving the families the rights to OJ's book "If I Did It" which then changed the text font on the cover to read "If I Did It"

edit
if you havent actually seen the covers of the first edition that OJ put out compared to when it was given over to the families, its :discourse:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 21, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Outrail posted:

If by some distantly unlikely fluke I end up with over a hundred million dollars the first thing I'll do is hide a few million, before even sensibly investing the money or quitting my job. Hamfistedly pay too much to convert it into a million in gold, a million in cash and million in something that won't rot and bury it way out in the back country somewhere.

Assuming I don't forget where it is if the worst happens and my hotdog investments fall through or I'm forced to give it all up after I slander, threaten and defame innocent people for a decade at least I have something left over.

E: actually, I could just hide it under my mattress, noone's gonna think to look there.

I think that's one of those situations where if you're sensible enough to do that, you're sensible enough you'll never need it. Like someone who'd do that would also just park the bulk of the rest of the money in a diverse portfolio and be fine anyway.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

IIRC, the way he ended up in prison finally was because he went to Vegas to sign autographs and sell some of his memorabilia for money - money that should have gone to the Goldmans. When the Goldman's confronted him on it, OJ basically pulled them into a hotel room and drew a gun on them? Or maybe he threatened them with his acting. Either way, OJ was trying to pull some poo poo that I 100% believe AJ would pull.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Outrail posted:

That usually doesn't work very well in practice. If you have a higher standard of living than you could reasonably be expected to attain with the amount of money the courts have permitted you to have, it's pretty obvious that you've hidden money somewhere. And when you've already paid out a hundred million dollars, the people you paid out to can afford to pay a team of private investigators to follow you around all day and night for a year to see if you've got any more hidden away. Hell, even just "this person owes me a billion dollars and he's obviously got millions still hidden away, I'll let you have a cut of any money you help recover" is sufficient bait to motivate plenty of lawyers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Have you considered simply not slandering, threatening, and defaming innocent people for a decade? I feel like that's a step that can be safely left out of this process.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MEIN RAVEN posted:

IIRC, the way he ended up in prison finally was because he went to Vegas to sign autographs and sell some of his memorabilia for money - money that should have gone to the Goldmans. When the Goldman's confronted him on it, OJ basically pulled them into a hotel room and drew a gun on them? Or maybe he threatened them with his acting. Either way, OJ was trying to pull some poo poo that I 100% believe AJ would pull.

It wasnt the Goldmans, OJ and some friends busted into a hotel room of a sports memorabilia seller and took a bunch of his stuff back at gunpoint. Friend of mines cousin worked at the prison he was in. Apparently he had a reputation for being pretty nice but would get insanely angry at the drop of a hat.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Hell, even just "this person owes me a billion dollars and he's obviously got millions still hidden away, I'll let you have a cut of any money you help recover" is sufficient bait to motivate plenty of lawyers.

Beyond this, there’s also the “gently caress this guy in particular” feeling that is extraordinarily high re: Alex Jones. He’s such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat that feds, lawyers, and even some really bored reporters will be crawling through every single thing he’s ever touched to see what they can dig up.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

like the courts had no problem auctioning off his Heisman trophy for 500 grand or giving the families the rights to OJ's book "If I Did It" which then changed the text font on the cover to read "If I Did It"

edit
if you havent actually seen the covers of the first edition that OJ put out compared to when it was given over to the families, its :discourse:

I figured it was something smart then. Thanks everyone for the good answers.

I had no idea about the book cover change. Jesus, that's so good. The first one was such a smack in the face, the second one is pure karma.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It wasnt the Goldmans, OJ and some friends busted into a hotel room of a sports memorabilia seller and took a bunch of his stuff back at gunpoint. Friend of mines cousin worked at the prison he was in. Apparently he had a reputation for being pretty nice but would get insanely angry at the drop of a hat.

This all tracks

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Cowman posted:

time for a double probation

I laughed hard enough at the first one that I had to share it with MAH WIFE.

Anyway, the Alex Jones story just makes me wonder if Lowtax would still be alive and have money if he'd just started talking about the Bilderberg group and Agenda 21 instead of shovelware he found on Geocities

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Hey is there a thread for the Waukesha trial. I'm not sure where to ask other than this thread since it is also about a unhinged lunatic facing down the consequences of his actions

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

SolTerrasa posted:

This has been one of the most frustrating things about not only Alex Jones, but the entire Trump era as well. I thought lying to a court and/or Congress was supposed to be a crime, but we hardly ever prosecute for it. Same for contempt. Like I get it's a high bar to prove someone intentionally lied and isn't just forgetful or an idiot but come on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fell Mood posted:

This has been one of the most frustrating things about not only Alex Jones, but the entire Trump era as well. I thought lying to a court and/or Congress was supposed to be a crime, but we hardly ever prosecute for it. Same for contempt. Like I get it's a high bar to prove someone intentionally lied and isn't just forgetful or an idiot but come on.

Well, that stuff is a crime for you and me at least. We're not invited to the real party so we have to live with little people rules. Or "laws" as some people like to call them.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Huh. Looks like Bannon actually got sentenced to 4 months for contempt of Congress. It's a start.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

I'm not sure that he did actually, he went to prison for robbery a while back and I from what I read he doesn't even have the house he was able to keep in Florida any longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_robbery_case

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Fell Mood posted:

Huh. Looks like Bannon actually got sentenced to 4 months for contempt of Congress. It's a start.

From what I’m reading, he also gets a stay until he’s done with his appeal, which is…not how things go for the little people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have you considered simply not slandering, threatening, and defaming innocent people for a decade? I feel like that's a step that can be safely left out of this process.

We live in a society, Carl. We all gotta do our part.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think the way lying to the court generally plays out, if the defense knows what it's doing, is to shine an absolutely huge spotlight on the lie coupled with very clear evidence that it's a lie, and basically corners the person on the stand into either telling the truth or pretty much saying "I'm knowingly and intentionally lying under oath right now, gently caress this court and gently caress you judge in particular." You're right that it's embarrassingly rare for it to actually result in meaningful penalties.

And yeah the big problem with trying to fly under the radar with large sums of money and assets is all of the cool "I'm rich" things you would spend that money on are the kinds of things that are impossible to purchase without looping in the government. It's not like a new TV where you can walk into a retail store with a fistful of cash and buy one without anyone having to know who you are. If you want to buy even a lovely used car or a dilapidated house, those purchases by necessity involve the government for deeds, registration, insurance etc. Even if you obfuscate those things with a shadow buyer or shell company and by some miracle pull off that side of things initially going unnoticed, people are going to notice that Alex has a fancy car and isn't going to the lovely rented apartment at night he'd normally be relegated to, you can't hide a house or car under the floorboards. Even if by some miracle the purchase turned out to be above-board somehow (at least enough that Alex wouldn't go to prison), he'll still wind up getting it seized at the very least.

I didn't know the specifics of OJ's situation before but that definitely makes sense, mega-celebrity with sports stars and actors is a crazy thing and the REALLY rich celebrities have pensions and residuals set up and they technically never have to work again for the rest of their lives, they'll continue making way more money than any of us will ever see no matter what. I think Alex, despite his mega-wealth, wasn't really set up the same way, there's no magical cheque fairy dropping money into his bank account for work he did in the 70s like John Carpenter. In a theoretical world where you somehow emptied every rich person's bank account and their meaningful assets and forced them to never work again, people like OJ Simpson and Tom Hanks are going to be mega-rich again from pensions/residuals while people like Alex Jones are going to stay poor because in a hosed-up way he's still kind of living paycheck to paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm gonna sue Tom Hanks.