Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Maybe he'll have a stroke while in office like Churchill did.

How bad was that when it happened? For that matter, this all seems like history repeating herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And that's the by-election officially triggered https://twitter.com/CreweFirst/status/1583422828396675072

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
So given Johnson's lack of interest in doing anything about a winter wave of COVID-19, or about a cost of living crisis, or nearly anything else - presumably he's just coming back so he can finish living out his Churchill fantasy by popping over to Ukraine to make a speech whenever anyone here asks a difficult question?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/Standplaats_KRK/status/1583238077190807553?t=a-qXR-hocTG0rni3kEQxEQ&s=19

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mourning Due posted:

For people who are thick as gently caress, Boris coming back is even an easy sell.

"I remember Boris was a laugh, they locked him out because he liked having a bit of fun, now look at the state we're in! Never should have kicked him out, he was just having a laugh!"

Yeah this is my point about it all being orchestrated.

Everyone here looks down on these scumbags being thick as pigshit, but they're not all stupid. The UK might be full of idiots, but it takes a certain level of intelligence to run the successful con they've been doing and that's intelligence backed with an obscene amount of money and smart people to keep them in power.

There will have been a think tank or whatever to keep Boris in power, testing what to say and what not to say. There will have been scenerios drawn out on how to distance their most popular and only viable leader from the latest mess they got themselves into.

It might also have just needed a few nudges to get it to fall into place too.

Like, genuinely, how did empty headed Truss even make it into the final 2 contenders given how obviousky stupid she is. The entire thing felt like a setup for how absurd it was.

Then her policies, a blatant cash grab fueled by corruption between the chancellor and folk betting against the pound (planning was definitely involved with that).

Again, the decisionmaking that seemed too absurd to be real if not an active attempt to rile up the populace against the idiot apparently making them.

Now here we are, Bojo will be PM again. Hasta la vista indeed.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Kin posted:

Yeah this is my point about it all being orchestrated.

Everyone here looks down on these scumbags being thick as pigshit, but they're not all stupid. The UK might be full of idiots, but it takes a certain level of intelligence to run the successful con they've been doing and that's intelligence backed with an obscene amount of money and smart people to keep them in power.

There will have been a think tank or whatever to keep Boris in power, testing what to say and what not to say. There will have been scenerios drawn out on how to distance their most popular and only viable leader from the latest mess they got themselves into.

It might also have just needed a few nudges to get it to fall into place too.

Like, genuinely, how did empty headed Truss even make it into the final 2 contenders given how obviousky stupid she is. The entire thing felt like a setup for how absurd it was.

Then her policies, a blatant cash grab fueled by corruption between the chancellor and folk betting against the pound (planning was definitely involved with that).

Again, the decisionmaking that seemed too absurd to be real if not an active attempt to rile up the populace against the idiot apparently making them.

Now here we are, Bojo will be PM again. Hasta la vista indeed.

This is conspiracy theorist level "it's more comforting to think it's all part of Big Illuminati Plan than accept that world is just this stupid"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

So given Johnson's lack of interest in doing anything about a winter wave of COVID-19, or about a cost of living crisis, or nearly anything else - presumably he's just coming back so he can finish living out his Churchill fantasy by popping over to Ukraine to make a speech whenever anyone here asks a difficult question?

Yes.

Don't be surprised if he's knocked up Carrie again for a new baby electoral boost.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I don't believe the tories individually are stupid (save special cases like Truss who is a moron), the problem is that when you have a bunch of evil scheming bastards in one organisation they inevitably end up working at cross purposes to one another to the point where the party- as a whole acts stupidly. Obviously some parts of the party want Boris back but its still hard to conceive them flawlessly mapping it out like that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can sunak, the billionaire, just flat out buy 100 MPs to back him?

Oct 4, 2005

My entire department called in sick with Covid today.

I feel like the government idea of "ignore it and it will go away" isn't working

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

massive spider posted:

I don't believe the tories individually are stupid

Evidence needed.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

There is no conspiracy lol. Truss was voted in because she promised the most deranged things to a deranged electorate, who also blamed Rishi for 'knifing Boris'. All the evil rightwing think tanks were 100% behind the murder/suicide budget because it was full of stuff they wanted and they were surprised when it failed because they are staffed by deranged ideologues. Yes the hedge fund types met with Kwasi, knew it would be a disaster and bet against the pound, but the likes of Crispin Odey are opportunists, not puppetmasters.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Puntification posted:

Labour being gleeful at the return of boris is going to bite them in the arse when he makes starmer eat poo poo on polling day. This is the democrats donating to fascist GOP candidates campaigns situation all over again.

The Clinton campaign purposefully boosted Trump because their consultants told them he was the easiest to beat in the general

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can sunak, the billionaire, just flat out buy 100 MPs to back him?

He doesn't need to. As someone already said, Sunak likely has way over 100 backers lined up already and will be working out how best to use the extras to engineer a more favourable opponent (i.e. not Boris).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's the Tory members Sunak needs to buy, and they're all racist retirees with fully paid up mortgages.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Eagerly awaiting the the day Attenborough pops his clogs and the last flimsy façade that the BBC is anything more than a Russia Today-style propaganda outlet is at long last surrendered.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So, I thought that the word was that the Tory MPs all hated Boris en masse and therefore he wouldn't get enough pledges to get over the line. Do they not hate him after all?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hard to tell, all we know is that Guido Fawkes says he has 50 MPs, which they took pains to point out is 50% of the threshold.

I assume because his audience is moronic paedophiles who don't understand basic maths.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The tory mps want one thing more than anything: to vote for the winner.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, I thought that the word was that the Tory MPs all hated Boris en masse and therefore he wouldn't get enough pledges to get over the line. Do they not hate him after all?

I think the word is that about 2/3rds of Tory MPs all hate Boris, but he might have about 100 who like him well enough

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

There's probably less than 50 who actually genuinely like him or think he's any good. It's looking increasingly likely, however, that he can probably scrape together another 50+ from either a)headbangers who want to Stop Rishi at all costs or b)desperate cowards who think he's got the best chance of saving their seats. The latter group are dead wrong, IMO, but it seems there might be enough of them to get him over the line.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praying for the comedy option of only 99 people backing him

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As that one tory oval office said on the news, lots of talentless people who'll tick a box to get a sniff of a cabinet position regardless of the cost

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

xtothez posted:

He doesn't need to. As someone already said, Sunak likely has way over 100 backers lined up already and will be working out how best to use the extras to engineer a more favourable opponent (i.e. not Boris).

I guess he would only need to buy a few of the potential 100 that would back Boris, come to an agreement with mordaunt and not face the members at all.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I don't understand the argument about electability. Yeah Boris was able to lead the Tories to a large majority but pretty much everything broke right for him to be able to do that. I don't think he can replicate that same kind of outcome were there to be another GE, especially considering the world of that year is like a universe away to the one of 2022

It's like they can't stop looking to the past- oh.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boris Johnson is privately urging Rishi Sunak to reach out and “get back together” in an olive branch after their public falling out, Ben Riley-Smith from the Telegraph writes.

Johnson has put his ability to win elections at the heart of his pitch to Tory MPs. One ally told the paper:

If the Tories are serious about winning in 2024 and want to stop a general election before then they need to revert to the guy with a mandate who is a seasoned campaigner.

They need someone to take the fight to Labour. There’s no point going to a yellow box junction without knowing how you are going to get out of it. Rishi should make contact and work out how the two of them can get back together.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Puntification posted:

Labour being gleeful at the return of boris is going to bite them in the arse when he makes starmer eat poo poo on polling day. This is the democrats donating to fascist GOP candidates campaigns situation all over again.

That seems to be working pretty well judging from early polling data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWTZ17kH-I

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Praying for the comedy option of only 99 people backing him

Yeah a third important Boris constituency is made up of those who under no circumstance would be allowed to have Government posts under anyone 'competent'. Although to be fair there is quite a lot of overlap between all three groups.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Comrade Fakename posted:

They hated them until Liz threatened the gravy train that is still remaining in power.
The Tories could do no wrong, they could openly poo poo on the queen while she was dying and they would be +3 up in the next poll.
Starmer could cure cancer, discover immortality, and is giving it out for free, and Tories would still be +5 the next day.

Now they need someone just to calm the markets, Austerity and part-time cannibalism this winter and next year is still going to happen, but getting the pound up so they can continue to suck the country dry is more immediate.
Just need someone to take the poisoned chalice, someone good at lying to your face, someone impervious to Kier's limp noodle attacks.
Cue Boris stage left.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Crymetimeboys posted:

They need someone to take the fight to Labour. There’s no point going to a yellow box junction without knowing how you are going to get out of it.

Got a £65 fine for this the other day and I'm still mad, gently caress you Boris.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/umairh/status/1583182642044108800?s=20&t=0KJliR8CufqNkunAz_5XVA

quote:

Yet this merry-go-round keeps on going. After Truss is gone, the wheel of fortune will spin again, and Brits — or at least the Conservative Party — will be asked to choose from between these options, yet again, as if history and reason don’t matter, and never did.

Britain is caught in this merry-go-round of doom for a reason. There is no way to solve the problem.

What problem is that? Britain is now a permanently poorer country. All that’s left is to politically divide up the pain.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Are there any protests planned to demand a GE? There's something on 5th November but it seems we should get on with it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The real comedy option is Boris comes back, one of the investigations he’s still under from before comes back with damning evidence of wrongdoing and he’s out again before Christmas

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

jiggerypokery posted:

Are there any protests planned to demand a GE?

My Tory heartland town is having a protest this Saturday to demand a GE, and nobody ever protests here. So yeah, there will probably be a protest near you too. Check your local social media pages

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Man I still can't believe how loving owned the economic far-right of the Tories were by saying their plan out loud.

Literally boldly declaring their Randian dream and the entire world turned and said "you loving imbeciles, you absolute dunderhead buffoons"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

this is a very stupid article

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

The real comedy option is Boris comes back, one of the investigations he’s still under from before comes back with damning evidence of wrongdoing and he’s out again before Christmas

Depending on who's in charge of that committee, it's entirely possible that they'll try to blackmail him into withdrawing. I've been wondering if that's their plan since it "leaked" post-Lettuxit that Number 10's provided evidence was sufficient by itself to have Boris suspended from the Commons without further investigation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1583434848898756608

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FFS lolaaaaaaarrgggghhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

quote:

So. The reason that Britain is collapsing is very simple. It goes like this. Brexit left Britain a much poorer country. Whoever the next PM is — Truss was the third this year —

Huh?