Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: All Science Fiction is actually Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

"all sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" is a meaningless phrase.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gripweed posted:

"all sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" is a meaningless phrase.

If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent him or really good technology -Carl Sagan

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
pretty sure it was harry potter who said that

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress Columbo. gently caress zoomers suddenly latching onto lovely tv shows. And gently caress people who think "Reference" = Joke.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUO: Gaius Marius is one of the best posters on the forums, because his genre of posting is constantly, needlessly, angrily, bending over and doing a goatse in the thread, and not realising why people are laughing at him over it

e: the second best posters are the ones that immediately riff and dunk on the former group :discourse:

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Oct 22, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

People creating anthills to die on and then going full hulk trying to "defend" it is the funniest poo poo. Worth the :10bux: imo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

PHUO: Gaius Marius is one of the best posters on the forums, because his genre of posting is constantly, needlessly angrily, bending over and doing a goatse in the thread, and not realising why people are laughing at him over it

This is a very popular opinion imo.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

This is a very popular opinion imo.

(insert 20 paragraph post of me alternatively insulting you for no good reason, while also pointing at gnostic style ms paint graphs for why this is not only untrue, but also you dont deserve to live over it)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

alexandriao posted:

PHUO: Gaius Marius is one of the best posters on the forums, because his genre of posting is constantly, needlessly, angrily, bending over and doing a goatse in the thread, and not realising why people are laughing at him over it

e: the second best posters are the ones that immediately riff and dunk on the former group :discourse:

Gaius Marius is one of the best posters on the forums because he agrees with me a lot.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Gaius Marius is one of the best posters on the forums because he agrees with me a lot.

lol

lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

(insert 20 paragraph post of me alternatively insulting you for no good reason, while also pointing at gnostic style ms paint graphs for why this is not only untrue, but also you dont deserve to live over it)

:how:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Do you guyes actually read scifi? Might I suggest Hannu Rajaniemi and the trilogy starting with Quantum Thief.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

Do you guyes actually read scifi? Might I suggest Hannu Rajaniemi and the trilogy starting with Quantum Thief.

I’m reading Dark Imperium: Plague War right now

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Alright, I like the quantum thief trilogy because it looks at what a far future "post singularity" society might be like.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

phuo: "the singularity" is a silly concept and it's never going to happen.

e: which makes it well-suited for fantasy/scifi but still it's hard to take it seriously

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Oct 22, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

Alright, I like the quantum thief trilogy because it looks at what a far future "post singularity" society might be like.

The Night Lords trilogy is pretty good, it imagines what if some really strong guys were also evil.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

e: which makes it well-suited for fantasy/scifi but still it's hard to take it seriously

How do you imagine the far future? Same as now except the people live in shinier buildings?

It's not a fair question as any rational human imagining the future as it currently stands sees climate change spurred famine, war, etc. but look past that if you can, into the future that might'(ve) be(en).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

How do you imagine the far future? Same as now except the people live in shinier buildings?

It's not a fair question as any rational human imagining the future as it currently stands sees climate change spurred famine, war, etc. but look past that if you can, into the future that might'(ve) be(en).

Hopefully it is a society that realizes the mistakes we have made in our era and doesn't pursue pointless urban expansion. Even just maintaining the status quo would be a big improvement. If we keep continuing with uncontrolled growth hopefully some alien predators come in and regulate the population.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hopefully it is a society that realizes the mistakes we have made in our era and doesn't pursue pointless urban expansion. Even just maintaining the status quo would be a big improvement. If we keep continuing with uncontrolled growth hopefully some alien predators come in and regulate the population.

The status quo can never be maintained, especially not now but also not in theory. The world and you are always changing.

The Quantum Thief books take place in a post-collapse future. Uncontrolled growth lead to an apocalypse, after which there are no baseline humans living on earth, or anywhere else really.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there are 3/4 good sci fi authors: lem, the strugatsky's and i'll allow philip k dick. the rest is junk

doverhog
May 31, 2013

How many books do you read in a year?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ohtori Akio posted:

what's the temperature on The Nanny itt

good spank material in the nineties when no jcpennies catalogues were handy

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Shibawanko posted:

there are 3/4 good sci fi authors: lem, the strugatsky's and i'll allow philip k dick. the rest is junk

Person who never read Ted Chiang

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

It isn't. The meaning is that when something is so far beyond your level of knowledge that you have no hope of understanding how it works, no explanation of it will be any better than 'it's magic'. Like, me describing a computer by saying "well, there are complicated circuits that are like switches that can be on or off and somehow that results in pictures appearing on a screen" is literally no better explanation of what's going on than "it's magic". I haven't demonstrated any kind of understanding, I'm just repeating a thing I heard. It may be true, on a very superficial level (in a way that "it's magic" isn't), but it doesn't get me or anyone else any closer to actually knowing what's actually going on. If I saw a regular computer and magic computer, but they looked and functioned the same, I certainly couldn't tell the difference because I really have no idea what's happening in there.

"The singularity" has happened, and will happen again.

I don't know what, specifically, you mean by "the singularity", but in general I believe it simply refers to any scientific, social or technological change that is so revolutionary that its effects are impossible to predict. Like, look at any of the predictions of the future from the early 20th century talking about stuff like "in the future, instead of going to the library you would simply call up on your videophone and ask the librarian to send you the book you wanted, which would be printed on fully recyclable material in a matter of minutes" because they were basing their assumptions on the idea that the telephone/telegraph/fax would continue to improve, but hadn't factored the internet in at all because it didn't exist and its implications couldn't be imagined.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Tiggum posted:

The meaning is that when something is so far beyond your level of knowledge that you have no hope of understanding how it works, no explanation of it will be any better than 'it's magic'.

You're flipping the significance, Clarke's phrase really intends to mean "what we think of magic is just technology and/or science we don't understand or haven't invented yet"

If you told someone in the 1600s that you could hurtle through the air faster than speaking a word, they'd hang you for witchcraft

Today, we just fly jets and nobody gives a poo poo

There's a really very well written and excellent set of short stories about this very concept hosted at https://qntm.org/ra

You're somewhat close on your understanding of the singularity, but the missing bit is that it's a technological change that either supercedes, or completely eradicates, the meaning/worth of human existence

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's bullshit for nerds

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

It isn't. The meaning is that when something is so far beyond your level of knowledge that you have no hope of understanding how it works, no explanation of it will be any better than 'it's magic'. Like, me describing a computer by saying "well, there are complicated circuits that are like switches that can be on or off and somehow that results in pictures appearing on a screen" is literally no better explanation of what's going on than "it's magic".

Yes it is. That's much better

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

it's bullshit for nerds

Nerds are cool, unlike you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

guy who reads books by guys named Brandon or Douglas: "i am cool, unlike you"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

postmodifier posted:

You're flipping the significance, Clarke's phrase really intends to mean "what we think of magic is just technology and/or science we don't understand or haven't invented yet"
That's implicit in what I said. What I think of as magic is just something I don't understand. Even if I don't use the word "magic", it's the same thing. I say "electronics" but it doesn't mean anything more to me than "magic" does. It's some kind of arcane method of shaping reality. We use these words or phrases that categorise things in such a way as to make us comfortable with them so we can stop thinking about them. "I can't understand it, because it's magic." But there's no difference between "it works by magic" and "it works by electricity" if you don't know how electricity works. You haven't explained anything. Everything is explicable if you have the right knowledge base; but until you do, it's magic. Magic is real, but it's subjective.

Gripweed posted:

Yes it is. That's much better
How? What I said doesn't mean anything. I didn't tell you how computers work; I can't because I don't know. "There's tiny switches that can be on or off and that makes pictures happen" is only a better explanation (if it is at all) if you already know more than me about how it works such that you understand the concepts I'm blindly parroting. You'd have the same information regardless of what I said because I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I may as well have said it was magic. It would have saved time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Superman, were he to exist, would have the moral duty to destroy capitalism, unite the world, stop climate change, destruction of the environment, wars, etc. Anything less and he would be responsible through negligence, to stop a bad thing from happening when he could've.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Tiggum posted:

That's implicit in what I said. What I think of as magic is just something I don't understand. Even if I don't use the word "magic", it's the same thing. I say "electronics" but it doesn't mean anything more to me than "magic" does.

You're missing the forest for the trees, with this

It doesn't matter if you, personally, understand how a computer works, there are many individuals who do understand it, and in fact, understand it so well that they can build them and let you take advantage of the technology without needing to comprehend it at all

This is not magic, you're just uninformed or don't care enough to learn why a thing does what a thing does

Clarke's quote doesn't have anything to do with that, it's literally talking about things like:

"Holy poo poo, how did you receive a message from across the globe???????? This is a phenomenon never before comprehended!!!!!! This is magic!!!!"

And now we have cell phones where people do that every day on the regular

So to take it a step further, we would still say that telepathy, in the sense that you're sending messages to another person with your mind alone, is paranormal, magic, a miracle, whatever the gently caress

Nah, we just don't have the technology for that yet, but honestly we can probably get there, we just need sufficiently advanced technology

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

How? What I said doesn't mean anything. I didn't tell you how computers work; I can't because I don't know. "There's tiny switches that can be on or off and that makes pictures happen" is only a better explanation (if it is at all) if you already know more than me about how it works such that you understand the concepts I'm blindly parroting. You'd have the same information regardless of what I said because I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I may as well have said it was magic. It would have saved time.

Because you acknowledge that it functions on understandable principles, even if you're too uninterested or stupid or lazy to learn them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

unrelated to the previous discusion,

If you were put in a gifted and talented program as a child and didn't grow up to be a successful adult, then the adults in your childhood were wrong and you should be angry at them for making you do extra homework when you were just as stupid as all the other kids.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
After they put me in Mathletes I started putting the wrong answer down on purpose.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
my opinion is that all fireworks should be banned because they make my dogs sad. and they're dangerous, but that's secondary

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Because you acknowledge that it functions on understandable principles, even if you're too uninterested or stupid or lazy to learn them.

So does magic. What do you think a wizard is?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Tiggum posted:

So does magic. What do you think a wizard is?

Magic is an overloaded term in 2022 with conflicting historic and cultural definitions. I don't know what it used to mean (probably Not-Christian like my friend's Christian Mom thought when banning RPGs), but Clarke was specifically using Unknowable-by-Humans and that's not how technology works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

ManBoyChef posted:

good spank material in the nineties when no jcpennies catalogues were handy

The internet killing horny cinema and horny tv was a good thing, thats my PHUO.