Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
scorn sure was a game of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is the dark pictures trilogy worth $28 (for all of em)?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Netrunner posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179080/FAITH_The_Unholy_Trinity/

Faith is out on Steam with a 10% launch discount. Looking forward to finally trying this after work tonight!

This is a really neat little game, only spent like 30 minutes with it so far but loving the art styles. It also seems to work perfect on the Deck.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/TeamSilentHill/status/1583829846836543488?t=QUMi-O20fUMAgiow2lk01A&s=19

We have no :hype: emote or I'd put it here. Love this kind of thing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nyoro posted:

is the dark pictures trilogy worth $28 (for all of em)?

Yes, but trying to marathon them all at once will be tiring. Space them out and you'll have fun.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

yeah I tried playing the last two back to back and I definitely like the last one significantly less, I've read good things about it so maybe that's the reason

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Dark Pictures games are neat if you like those types of games. They’re shorter than like Until Dawn and The Quarry, with some uneven acting and writing, but they’re fun. You may find the “twist” in one or two of them kinda lame, but I think each one has been better than the last. Again, I think they’re fun little rides.

There’s a new one next month as well that sounds like it’s experimenting with more gameplay elements like inventory and environmental navigation.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Adding on to the Dark Pictures anthology praise, if that's your kind of game go for it, absolutely.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I was bored by both Man of Medan and Little Hope, but House of Ashes was dope and kept me gripped the whole way though. If I had to recommend one it'd be that. They're three different kinds of horror stories though, your mileage may vary.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

treat posted:

were you using the crucifix? there's no stealth in chapter 1 and you're not going to get anywhere by trying to sneak around, you gotta exercise that poo poo.

Read their post again but more literally.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
played through I think half of faith chapter 3? got two secret bosses down.

my one complaint is that half of this game is more or less in the demos

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah there's no real stealth in Faith you just have to move behind the curtain until the demon walks by but given the game's perspective and scenario where to hide while strapped to a gurney isn't exactly clear.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The first two stories in The Dark Pictures Anthology relied on a cliche that is very common in horror games and a lot of people hate, so for House of the Ash the devs made it very clear that they wouldn't have the same cliche again. They have hopefully been scared off for using it for awhile.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
second complaint about faith chapter triple: no checkpoints in the extremely marathon-style true final boss fight

gonna have to come back to this tomorrow, it's got me on tilt

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

brand engager posted:

Finished scorn. Last area is cool looking, 2nd to last area had too many enemies, neat game overall.

Same. I liked that it was what those 90s adventure games were trying to look like. Dark seed for example.

still though, could of done with having 50% less combat and more puzzles. At the end i was like woo finally some interesting body swapping puzzle stuff and then it immediately ended before it did anything with it.

e: apparently the game has a art book which tells you what the actual plot is... kinda annoying.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 23, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

Yeah there's no real stealth in Faith you just have to move behind the curtain until the demon walks by but given the game's perspective and scenario where to hide while strapped to a gurney isn't exactly clear.

The curtain has Loss.jpg on it.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm looking at Silent Hill optimistically, but right now I feel loving awful for the former Team Silent guys. They're on board to prevent Bloober from screwing up but they're still hearing about it, I think they regret it but I will say, I know all these new silent hill games will sell better than the previous entries, because if lords of shadow 2 out sold every other Castlevania, there's no way the SH2 remake will do worse than the original.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not sure if it counts since Parasite Eve is a weird horror/JRPG hybrid but

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1584240340466249728?t=nhPCt_V1KfqmRRiRbxougA&s=19

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Diabetic posted:

I'm looking at Silent Hill optimistically, but right now I feel loving awful for the former Team Silent guys. They're on board to prevent Bloober from screwing up but they're still hearing about it, I think they regret it but I will say, I know all these new silent hill games will sell better than the previous entries, because if lords of shadow 2 out sold every other Castlevania, there's no way the SH2 remake will do worse than the original.

I do not feel bad for the guys presumably getting a paycheck for being involved again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I'm sure these guys don't hate Bloober as much as the rest of the twittersphere does considering they've had a working relationship for a while now.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not sure if it counts since Parasite Eve is a weird horror/JRPG hybrid but

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1584240340466249728?t=nhPCt_V1KfqmRRiRbxougA&s=19

Companies trademark titles for projects they never follow-up on all the time, so don't get too excited yet.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Crowetron posted:

Companies trademark titles for projects they never follow-up on all the time, so don't get too excited yet.

Dusk Golem did say Sony was working on a horror game they would only call "Ooze". Maybe this is that?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 23, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Dusk Golem did say Square was working on a horror game they would only call "Ooze". Maybe this is that?

Maybe. Parasite Eve does involve a lot of ooze, but so does most body horror so who knows. I'm just saying the trademark doesn't necessarily mean anything (see also Chrono Break)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man I wanna talk about Scorn but I feel like there's not much to say. I thought it loving ruled, it was short, it was visually impressive and there were definitely some tense moments

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Crowetron posted:

Maybe. Parasite Eve does involve a lot of ooze, but so does most body horror so who knows. I'm just saying the trademark doesn't necessarily mean anything (see also Chrono Break)

poo poo noticed my typo. I meant Sony, not Square

And yeah, very true. That example still hurts lol

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I liked Scorn a lot too, but I can see why people find it frustrating. Act 3 could definitely cut down a bit on the monster closets, but otherwise I didn't have major issues with it. The last act is amazing.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I liked how Scorn didn't really explain anything directly but you could piece together aspects of the setting while playing. It made me think quite a bit which is a rarity even in a game with excellent story. It did get a tad frustrating at times and I died a lot but I also read that a lot of the fights I thought were necessary, or that you had to run past, were actually avoidable if you just didn't approach the monsters and let them wander off

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Scorn; the biomechanical terror of doing that wooden sliding block puzzle from the "smart kid" toy/book store, or going inside an elevator control center that's covered by a giant horror mutant that has a light ball maze in the middle of it. Imagine how tedious of a society it must've been to have to do a "match all the angles" puzzle every day to just do a door. Yes, I know Myst, or Resident Evil 1 or whatever had those kinds of puzzles but the setting and the art betrayed the simple puzzles and extreme linearity of the levels.

Reminded me a lot actually of Stray, dazzle them on with a gimmick (being a cat, HR Giger influenced decaying horror world), and then give them mediocre/poor gameplay from 10-20 years ago.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Stray's only issue is there wasn't enough of it :colbert:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NGL I play very few puzzle games so I just kind of assumed that that's how they are

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Octopus Magic posted:

Imagine how tedious of a society it must've been to have to do a "match all the angles" puzzle every day to just do a door. Yes, I know Myst, or Resident Evil 1 or whatever had those kinds of puzzles but the setting and the art betrayed the simple puzzles and extreme linearity of the levels.

Lol, I had this same thought both times I've watched chunks of a Scorn playthrough. The whole time, I'm trying to come up with some idea of what the locations would be like as real places in a functional society, but they just come across as being specifically designed to make it as obtuse as possible to get from point A to point B.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Ah, a nightmarish society where humanoids are reduced to meat robots forced to do thoughtless tasks in service of a metaphor for a ruined paradise.

Why do I keep having to do these puzzles?"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

IIRC most of the locations seemed like "train stations" that lead to the main temple area. They were weird and abstract but also the people appeared to be weird mouthless alien creatures who had mostly transcended their mortal forms except for a handful of them to escape a horrifying flesh parasite

EDIT: A horrifying flesh parasite that had caused catastrophic damage and blocked access to many areas of the locations

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 23, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I had this same thought both times I've watched chunks of a Scorn playthrough. The whole time, I'm trying to come up with some idea of what the locations would be like as real places in a functional society, but they just come across as being specifically designed to make it as obtuse as possible to get from point A to point B.

based on the art book, the first area is a kind of battery farm/parts factory for the organic elements needed for their industrialization, the second area is a crater where the "humans" of scornworld were experimenting with creating a kind of hallucinogenic meat, and the third area is their main city and home of the ruling class

the society on scornworld was supposed to be obsessed with expanding their consciousness and finding ways of making it separable from the body, but that doesn't come across strongly in the final product except in the very closing minutes

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I should get the artbook. I'm unsure if the flesh monstrosities are a result of their experiments gone haywire or like a mutated disease (or both).

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't get the book, I kind of like the uncertainty

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I should get the artbook. I'm unsure if the flesh monstrosities are a result of their experiments gone haywire or like a mutated disease (or both).

the most likely explanation is that the majority of scornworld's society, or at least the ruling class, hosed off into some kind of purely psychic plane, with the remainder either connecting themselves to the polis mindweb or just straight up dying due to the collapse of their society. the wild mutations are likely from everything being left unattended for an uncounted period and evolving on its own

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Vermain posted:

the most likely explanation is that the majority of scornworld's society, or at least the ruling class, hosed off into some kind of purely psychic plane, with the remainder either connecting themselves to the polis mindweb or just straight up dying due to the collapse of their society. the wild mutations are likely from everything being left unattended for an uncounted period and evolving on its own

Fuckin' metal. This kind of game is extremely My Jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Vermain posted:

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409