Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I do find it funny that everyone buried Oregon for making Herbert run a boring station-to-station offense and now he's stuck doing that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let Herbie cook

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

a neat cape posted:

People have been saying this.

But isn't his offense basically what the Chargers are running with Lombardi?

The difference is that Lombardi is bad

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Let Herbie cook

Cooking with bad ribs and slow WRs seems unwise.

I generally agree though

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What are Pete Carroll's odds for COTY at this point. Looking up Vegas win totals from preseason, Seattle was at 5.5ish and the entire world was taking the under. They might double that and run away with the division lol.

The late career resurgence of Geno Smith was not a bingo square I thought existed but it has been very fun to watch

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

a neat cape posted:

People have been saying this.

But isn't his offense basically what the Chargers are running with Lombardi?

In the same way that Matt Nagy ran the same offense as Andy Reid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is Pete Carroll up for a new contract? If he is the Hawks would be idiots not to take that deal. As a Niners fan I hope the Hawks are idiots.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Docjowles posted:

What are Pete Carroll's odds for COTY at this point. Looking up Vegas win totals from preseason, Seattle was at 5.5ish and the entire world was taking the under. They might double that and run away with the division lol.

The late career resurgence of Geno Smith was not a bingo square I thought existed but it has been very fun to watch

It's Brian Daboll in a landslide

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Docjowles posted:

I don't see how he isn't the frontrunner right now. People were calling him senile and washed up before he traded away Russ and now it is rather obvious that Russ was holding him back not the other way around.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Benne posted:

I mean, yeah, unless they lose every single game from here on out. But Carroll has to be a somewhat distant second.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Benne posted:

Yeah, if the Giants finish with any kind of winning record, he's winning it and there's no argument against it.

The Giants roster is loving trash and he's gritting out wins with it, they've got like no plus units at all.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Benne posted:

Saleh?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

Daboll is walking away with it unless the Giants collapse. I also think it’s probably a little early to declare the “lost to the Saints and Falcons” Seahawks as legit. They’ve played two divisional games so far and got obliterated in one of them. They’re just getting the benefit of extremely low expectations, and also of playing a really easy schedule.

Plus he’s supposed to be a defensive guru and their defense has been awful for a lot of the year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Jets have some really good players on defense

the Giants have Saquon and a lot of nothing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He's not in the NFC East.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Alaois posted:

Oh I agree with Daboll. But Saleh should be up there too. Right now, anyway

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alaois posted:

They also have a great left tackle!

And uh.

Uhm...

Dexter Lawrence is pretty good?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets have not been winning their games because of good coaching I can tell you that much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

Oh I agree with Daboll. But Saleh should be up there too. Right now, anyway

Yeah he's probably vying Carroll for second place so far.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Daboll
---
---
---
---
Saleh / Carroll / McDermott / Vrabel / O'Connell

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't think he should win it but Arthur Smith should get a 4th place vote or something. The Falcons are much more watchable than I would have expected even if they're still not good since it's impossible for that roster to be actually good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

It’s funny that Carroll is getting credit for being forced to trade a lovely QB and his team improving because of it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

eagles coach

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if anyone is going to win an award on the Hawks it will be Geno.

Comeback player or whatever

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cavauro posted:

eagles coach

He's younger then me, he's not allowed

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if anyone is going to win an award on the Hawks it will be Geno.

Comeback player or whatever

Saquon Barkley is still probably the favorite for that too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fartknocker posted:

Saquon Barkley is still probably the favorite for that too.

I do t know people love those QBs plus people expected Barkley to bounce back.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Who would be the QB?

The word around Saquon was injuries ruined him and don't draft rbs high.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Daboll is walking away with it unless the Giants collapse. I also think it’s probably a little early to declare the “lost to the Saints and Falcons” Seahawks as legit. They’ve played two divisional games so far and got obliterated in one of them. They’re just getting the benefit of extremely low expectations, and also of playing a really easy schedule.

Plus he’s supposed to be a defensive guru and their defense has been awful for a lot of the year.

Everyone has an easy schedule this year except whatever division got stuck playing the NFCEast

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Steve Wilks gonna shock the world.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s funny that Carroll is getting credit for being forced to trade a lovely QB and his team improving because of it.

I genuinely think it’s bc Carroll is at his best when he’s developing young guys and he’s got a lot of young dudes on the roster now that he’s not babysitting old rear end Wilson.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who would be the QB?

The word around Saquon was injuries ruined him and don't draft rbs high.

Geno smith obviously.

And I don’t know I feel a player that historically has been pretty bad is a better representation of a comeback player rather than a players whose main issue is his health just failed him. Because ultimately players just don’t have much control over that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ought to just take the most improved player award idea and have both since comeback player of the year has been mostly for injured or absent people who come back

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Vrabel is the COTY of my heart, he puts the team at a strategic advantage at all times, the players work their asses off for him and he is very smart with injuries. He gets the most out of dudes who have sucked rear end every other stop of their careers. See: Skrine, Buster & Foreman, D’onta (who I am so so happy for getting to run as the undisputed #1 in Carolina). Daboll is gonna win it in a walk but Vrabel raises this team’s floor so much. The buzz on Tennessee was that we were going to fall apart without AJB and we’re comfortably leading the division amidst a huge number of injuries for the second year in a row.

Fire the conditioning staff though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Everyone has an easy schedule this year except whatever division got stuck playing the NFCEast

Three of the 7 teams Seattle have played would be picking in the top six if the draft happened today. They’ve got the NFC South and AFC west and the 4th place schedule. The entire NFC South is below .500 (and Seattle lost against both teams they played).

The NFL is bad across the board but Seattle has had a really easy run so far.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I genuinely think it’s bc Carroll is at his best when he’s developing young guys and he’s got a lot of young dudes on the roster now that he’s not babysitting old rear end Wilson.

I do think that plays to his strengths but a lot of the offensive success this year has been having a QB who is actually willing to just run the offense as it’s designed and called and I don’t think that’s got much to do with Pete. If anything it’s making a case for Waldron actually being good at his job.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Three of the 7 teams Seattle have played would be picking in the top six if the draft happened today. They’ve got the NFC South and AFC west and the 4th place schedule. The entire NFC South is below .500 (and Seattle lost against both teams they played).

The NFL is bad across the board but Seattle has had a really easy run so far.

Except the NFCE of course, the juggernauts of the NFL.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I do think that plays to his strengths but a lot of the offensive success this year has been having a QB who is actually willing to just run the offense as it’s designed and called and I don’t think that’s got much to do with Pete. If anything it’s making a case for Waldron actually being good at his job.

well i mean two rookie tackles are driving the o-line improvements, they've got a rookie rb phenom, and they've had insane receivers for a min. that offense should be at least mediocre with how many rookies they've hit on this year

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

well i mean two rookie tackles are driving the o-line improvements, they've got a rookie rb phenom, and they've had insane receivers for a min. that offense should be at least mediocre with how many rookies they've hit on this year

The QB not running around for 4 seconds looking for a big throw downfield is also helping the rookie tackles out. Wilson would be hanging them out to dry spinning in circles behind the line at the slightest hint of pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I agree it's Daboll fwiw. Especially since he is absolutely killing it as a first time HC. I do not understand how they won some of these games, but...they did. Which reflects well on the coaching. I feel like the final drive today where they sacked Lawrence (negated by penalty), intercepted Lawrence (negated by penalty), then tackled Kirk on the 1 millimeter line to win anyway despite trying to hand the game to Jacksonville was emblematic of their season. They're getting lucky and overperforming, but the record is the record and I am coming around on them not being massive frauds.

I am really impressed with what Pete has pulled off, too, though. They were expected to be horrific, so beating up on lovely teams is actually a significant improvement. I'd add that "the Seahawks have mostly played trash teams" pretty well applies to the Giants, too. The Giants are more complete, though. Seattle basically has to win a shootout cause they aren't stopping poo poo (except Kliff Kingsbury lol).