Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

most people upon learning that non-terrestrial intelligences are real and loving around on earth would probably have a moment then just sort of accept it as part of life as they go back to grinding their soul away at work every day

it's the wannabe big brains like the ones that pop in here now and then to proselytize the dogma they've built their identity around that would break down

if anything most religious people globally will just be like 'well yea'

wow what a lovely snype, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YQJ6KuWvQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wheeee posted:

most people upon learning that non-terrestrial intelligences are real and loving around on earth would probably have a moment then just sort of accept it as part of life as they go back to grinding their soul away at work every day

it's the wannabe big brains like the ones that pop in here now and then to proselytize the dogma they've built their identity around that would break down

if anything most religious people globally will just be like 'well yea'

wow what a lovely snype, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YQJ6KuWvQ

the catholic church pre-emptively did a "well yea" already too

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

yea when we (I) talk about people not being equipped to handle this, it’s the chucklefuck mid-brows like the lil buckaroo who can’t help himself from posting in here every now and then that are being referred to

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Everyone loves aliens, idk who thinks that humanity can't handle it. We've been talking about having sex with them for over a year in this thread!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Nichael posted:

the catholic church pre-emptively did a "well yea" already too

I'm not an expert in Catholicism but it seems to me there's a tradition of science and religion being two different fields and not opposed to each other's. Take George Lemaître who theorized the Big Bang, Mendl and genetics. I might also be biased because my great uncle was a nuclear physicist and a priest, but since then all the monks and priests I talked to were well educated and acknowledging all the discoveries of science. To them religion is strictly about morality and spirituality which are fields that science isn't really studying, so no competition.

I also remember reading that the Vatican had a program to search exoplanets when it was the new big thing. I'm pretty certain they have already contemplated the possibility of alien life, not as a threat to their beliefs, but has a new perspective for them.

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Oct 24, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Slavvy posted:

What this thread has taught me:

Multiverse is real
Psi is real
Religion is real
Astrology is real
Cosmic consciousness is real
Time is fake
Death is fake
Self is fake
Physics is fake

Saving Private Ryan is real

Also, r/experiencers has got some stories that, true or not (who fuckin cares I say!), makes for some wild imaginings. And a few folks who might be mentally ill and could use help if so :(

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This is long and rough draft tier writing but idc. Ill try to make my case: I feel like relative ignorance lets you bask in poo poo like freedom from fate/determinism, pure agency and free will, and a universe in which there is no further hierarchy in which we are subjugated, that we might not be alone, and as visitors those other folks might be our friends but vOv i feel like the universe mostly writes small what's already writ large. We exist in a hierarchy, where to something above us, we are pets, cattle, curiosities, as we have subjugated, we are subjugated.

Like alright try to follow me here: if you can divine human meaning from star and planetary positions relative to us, or from anywhere else, plausibility aside, that has certain implications for how the universe works, right?

Like I'm not gonna pretend astrologers are always scrupulous people; there are so many people grifting it's flatly loving amazing. But when people are being earnest, serious, and as thoughtful as is possible about it, they start to try and fit the apparent functionality of divination into their concept of the universe.

The thing is, a lot of that intellectual work has been done already, by pre-christian and christian-contemporary philosophies and religions that were already operating on the assumptions that this stuff was self-evident, as divinatory methods were a far more typical part of life.

Some people in modern times have picked up the torch a bit too, i can think of a few names, to be sure.

If you consult a stoic's take on our place in the universe, its not exactly modern, but it's not archaic in a way that doesn't fit. it's just very difficult to grapple with from the pov of someone formerly operating in a framework of belief in free will and agency. Like marcus aurelius is the big boi of stoicism since he was an emperor of rome, but there is plenty more than that if you're inclined to familiarize yourself.

I am grappling with that dissonance, and in talking about this i try not to longpost too much anymore but maybe it'll be good for me, or good for those that dont get my dim view of this stuff?

A curated universe thats bound by partial or complete determinism. That's depressing for me!!! I began moving from questions of "what/how is this?" To "why is this?" And, in the answers i can find, the bummer rear end poo poo that is gnosticism becomes downright hopeful to someone that desperately wants true agency in a universe where everything is bound to proceed in a specific manner!

It's a dissonance between desired and experienced reality. It's honestly akin to the experience of dysphoria that kindled my transition, but where my gender dysphoria was and is alleviated by hormones and a feminine gender expression, I genuinely know of no meaningful recourse here except "try to make peace with or forget about it".

It creates a sense of distress, unhappiness, and bleak attitude!!! And I've begun to resent the implications of what I'm experiencing wholesale.

I guess I've felt like my life only gets more enjoyable, my outlook less bleak, when I move with a fate I dont, deep inside my being, particularly like or enjoy.

Like now that i believe this poo poo, enjoying whatever this is requires accepting it as a linear experience. To take in joy and sorrow as it's dished out, not becoming overly invested in outcomes good or bad... It's experience minus agency, there is no point to the subjective value judgement one makes because the sum of your being was never negotiable, or was only ever partially negotiable. It makes extreme and profound human suffering just as meaningless as the outcome of a baseball game, and it measures virtue not on the basis of any moral value inherent to a given behavior, but only to the grace and ease with which you play your part.

Dumb video game analogy but its like, at best you're Gordon Freeman. Allowed to navigate ravenholm as you see fit, within the confines of that level, but only in how you proceed to kill monsters, endure the agony of the audible suffering of chimeric monsters you dispatch with your shotgun. Even death mostly eludes Gordon, who experiences it only in a limited sense, before resetting to a checkpoint or save, until they leave ravenholm. Or, if you wanna get meta, until the player exits the game. Gordon never had a real choice about anything leading up to nor during nor after that moment. Every challenge, scripted event, etc. had to happen before gordon could proceed. Even at the very end of the game, right as his story would otherwise end, time freezes and he's plucked out, denied even oblivion, and is reinserted into the narrative. Its not perfect, but the relationship the player has with Gordon here is comparable to the experience I'm perceiving?

Feels like my options are to adopt the Stoic cope, invest myself in some kind of gnostic redemptive hope that i can both escape and that there's something positive waiting for me once I do, to ignore this poo poo, pack it up, and mortar off avenues to such existential inquiry. Which I'm not really inclined to do, because existentially owning myself is better than ignorance from my current pov somehow.

But the tldr is my bummer rear end attitude has to do with how well I'm handling my place in a deterministic universe i mostly believe in now, where, even if the soul is unbound, this experience absolutely is, at least strongly, determined

Such that i believe in a multiverse, it's a means to curate infinite variation with this structure in place. It's not really that every decision you've ever made branches a new universe, but a universe exists with every decision you can ever make, with every decision that ever was made, can be made, including entire branches where life was never even viable, exist in parallel, and some movement between these might be possible for a higher self, but is probably out of reach for any part of you that only exists locally

Ok I'm done, gently caress this lol.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Many people recommended this one in the thread and it did not disappoint. Very interesting book. :thumbsup:

I didn't think there were reliable accounts of mini-UAPs but sure enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Not disagreement per se.

What definition of multiverse is being used? Multiple universes is distinct from multiple spacetime dimensions within the universe; is distinct from multiple dimensions laid atop each other in one singular universe; is distinct from multidimensionality; is distinct from multiple universes occurring in parallel; is distinct from from multiple timelines occurring in parallel...

Psi is real but what causes it? Noosphere living psi? Brain generated psi? Consciousness generated psi? Spirit generated psi? Spirit-world generated psi?

Religion is obviously real, I'll take you to mean that the fundamental shared truths among religions are correct. While I love syncretism I would say that if we took just the most basic concept which marks religion as such, i.e. the existence of God, we would not find immediately much commonality when talking about religions proper. For the Abrahamic religions we have a critical problem of who or what God is in their holy book itself - can we actually conclude that Adonai is the same as Yahweh is the same as the Father? In the Eastern religions there's nothing that particularly resembles the Western concept of God. Whereas lesser deities behave in ways that God behaves in the Bible, their spiritual zenith, their alpha and omega, their God, which is Atman-Brahman or Nirvana or Tao, does not at all resemble the Father.

I'm not convinced by astrology.

Cosmic consciousness meaning what? Mind at Large or Higher-Self/Lower-Self? Both?

Time is real on Earth. Time is real in spacetime, though relative. By all possible spiritual and evidential accounts Time does not exist in the afterlife and/or spirit world.

Death is real. Body dies. Consciousness leaves Earth and can no longer communicate via the body on Earth. Death itself is a transformation and transition from this experience to another experience which is the original and originating experience. And then to some other sort of experience after that and so on. Death is re-birth into the spirit world realm of pure consciousness.

"Self is fake" implies a transpersonal self which implies a multiplicitous self. But your individuated selfhood is self-evident (ha). A continuous self is not provable and a continuous identity is easily disproved. The boddhis try to attain non-self.

Our theories of physics are wrong (or incomplete), sure. Otherwise no.

This is what happens when you take yourself too seriously, you start taking random shitposts too seriously and punch out walls of text like an abrahamic prophet

Bilirubin posted:

Saving Private Ryan is real

Also, r/experiencers has got some stories that, true or not (who fuckin cares I say!), makes for some wild imaginings. And a few folks who might be mentally ill and could use help if so :(

See this is how it's done

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah I consider death and the afterlife and meaning and consciousness and reality serious things and take them seriously. Super embarrassing. You got my rear end

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Slavvy posted:

This is what happens when you take yourself too seriously, you start making great posts and punch out walls of text like an abrahamic prophet

ftfy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah I consider death and the afterlife and meaning and consciousness and reality serious things and take them seriously. Super embarrassing. You got my rear end

Super duper serious definitely, especially in this thread, very serious yes indeed

You know how serious it is when the greys smoking blunts get posted, it's a sign of respect

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

these lower vibrations are aligning the thread with negative dimensions and the base entities that inhabit them

all of you will now be woken by shadow figures in the middle of the night and see wolfmen leering from bushes and behind trees

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Super duper serious definitely, especially in this thread, very serious yes indeed

You know how serious it is when the greys smoking blunts get posted, it's a sign of respect

these are not contradictory things

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slavvy posted:

Jokes aren't antithetical to serious considerations lol. and yeah I'm sure thread posters post here because they don't take it seriously and think it's all bullshit :v:

If you don't take it seriously that's fine but it's weird to demand that I or anyone else shouldn't take it seriously or don't take it seriously because we don't , er, scold people for posting funny gifs? Not sure exactly

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Quarterly reminder that before the [UFOs] thread the D&D space thread was subtitled: discuss aliens itt
and it resulted in a never-ending clash between the serious space discussers and the ufo experiences and it was very funny and frustrating at the same time.
d&d folk: um, can we please stick to SCIENCE
bird watchers: no

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

these are not contradictory things

I know

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Jokes aren't antithetical to serious considerations lol. and yeah I'm sure thread posters post here because they don't take it seriously and think it's all bullshit :v:

If you don't take it seriously that's fine but it's weird to demand that I or anyone else shouldn't take it seriously or don't take it seriously because we don't , er, scold people for posting funny gifs? Not sure exactly

It's not about that, it's that I think you take yourself too seriously.

Don't recall scolding anyone about gifs though, the projection ITT isn't just astral!

I feel like if I still had my ground floor bird watchers tag this would all be much clearer but someone took it off me to own putin at one stage and IDK how to get it back

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Lampsacus posted:

Quarterly reminder that before the [UFOs] thread the D&D space thread was subtitled: discuss aliens itt
and it resulted in a never-ending clash between the serious space discussers and the ufo experiences and it was very funny and frustrating at the same time.
d&d folk: um, can we please stick to SCIENCE
bird watchers: no

The guy literally one post above you has spend pages arguing that UFOs are aliens.
Can you even image how that discussion would go down at CERN?

Boss, good news, we can throw out general relativity! We're all getting Nobel prizes!

Good god! Do we have five sigma confirmation of quantum gravity from the LHC?

No, we got some blurry ir videos of a UFO!

Good enough for me, wrap it up boys!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slavvy posted:

I know

It's not about that, it's that I think you take yourself too seriously.

Don't recall scolding anyone about gifs though, the projection ITT isn't just astral!

I feel like if I still had my ground floor bird watchers tag this would all be much clearer but someone took it off me to own putin at one stage and IDK how to get it back

OKay you can go ahead and think that and I'll take it under advisement ig but like I've posted funny jokes in this thread. I just wasn't doing funny stuff today im doing serious stuff and a lot of people like that too. I thought maybe you would like it which is why I quoted you and asked permission but I was wrong :shrug:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid, probably around 1996 or so I was out looking at a meteor shower one night when I noticed what I thought was a satellite. At the time I thought "Cool! A satellite!" because I was young and hadn't seen one with the naked eye before. As the little point of light moved across the sky it suddenly and abruptly changed direction and began moving horizontally as quickly as it had been moving vertically across the sky, like one of the lightcycles from Tron.

I froze for a second before it dawned on me that human built spacecraft should not be able to do that, at which point I got spooked as hell and ran inside

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
e wrong thread

Petey has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Oct 25, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

might be because everyone's been a ball of stress for years now and stress significantly dampens your cognitive abilities

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Slavvy posted:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i am a being pure lower vibratory function. my alternating fluxstate of judginess/crigeiness is capable of debasing entire threads in a matter of posts.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

James Fox is now out there saying that photo and video evidence of the Vargahina creature is JUST MOMENTS AWAY (sic) from being released! Any day now! So long as the shadowy powers that be don't figure out how to cover it up...

Seriously though let's see some grainy 90s footage of a half dead crashed alien with red eyes and three fingers. I remember the "alien interview" clip from way back giving me a serious spook, probably the most believable footage of an EBE there is, let's see more of that caliber of evidence.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this is an amusing rabbit hole
https://twitter.com/RonyVernet/status/1584560898639007747

if *big if* the varginha beings are real and share dna with humans, then maybe we are a worker race (lol gold miners) who were allowed to run amok

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mood

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Tekne posted:

this is an amusing rabbit hole
https://twitter.com/RonyVernet/status/1584560898639007747

if *big if* the varginha beings are real and share dna with humans, then maybe we are a worker race (lol gold miners) who were allowed to run amok

maybe we are the og lucifer...firm favourites of our creators until one day we realised we can say 'nah gently caress that' and so cast out to live here in hell lol

but seriously though we do have a lot of easily relatable and very old stories involving someone being outcast, or paradise lost, or both, maybe the earliest humans remembered it as an event and over time well here we are, mucking around on the mud ball still

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Im gonna lol if the reality is the plot to battlestar galactica

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tighclops posted:

Im gonna lol if the reality is the plot to battlestar galactica

fat adama is my spirit animal

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Orange peel sized pores are actually very erogenous to the yeti I'll have you know

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Aliens real, you're still hosed - NYT

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

OKay you can go ahead and think that and I'll take it under advisement ig but like I've posted funny jokes in this thread. I just wasn't doing funny stuff today im doing serious stuff and a lot of people like that too. I thought maybe you would like it which is why I quoted you and asked permission but I was wrong :shrug:

You don't need to ask permission for jack poo poo, :justpost:

Seemed like you were almost doing like a reverse NDT thing, I certainly wasn't trying to make any kind of point originally beyond shitposting for the hell of it/to wind up any passing Neils. Fwiw I agree with basically everything you've posted itt and I think you're cool and good mostly.

I want to be this high, this is good stuff

Sleekly posted:

maybe we are the og lucifer...firm favourites of our creators until one day we realised we can say 'nah gently caress that' and so cast out to live here in hell lol

but seriously though we do have a lot of easily relatable and very old stories involving someone being outcast, or paradise lost, or both, maybe the earliest humans remembered it as an event and over time well here we are, mucking around on the mud ball still

The problem there is early hominids existing, so imo that leaves you with:

We are living in Niven's protector books, early hominids were unmodified breeding stock that was left to it's own devices for too long and now we're both smart and stupid at the same time

or

They hybridized us with their DNA during prehistory

or

Our entire world was seeded with their space jizz so our biospheres have common ancestry - bear in mind 90% (iirc) of the genetic code in you is identical to every other thing on earth

E: holy gently caress where did this AV come from, thank you benevolent astral poster, it is the greatest fucken thing ever and it made my goddamn day

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Oct 25, 2022

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

NDE accounts are honestly astonishing, and whatever they are - ontologically speaking - they are verifiable by their fruits, if nothing else. They Do Things to People.

I greatly dislike the medium stuff in Kean's book, though

I really enjoyed the first half of Kean's book. The stories were fascinating and like UAPs, it's amazing how often these stories line up. Enough so it's opened me up to the idea.

Like you said though, the medium part is what lost me. I can't buy into the physical manifestation of apparitions. She even has a line in the book that basically says this poo poo is so wild you probably want to stop reading. Yes, you're right. Still finished it but it left a sour taste. If it wasn't for all the other accounts outside of the book I'd have dismissed it and the UFO one she wrote.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

papersack posted:

I can't buy into the physical manifestation of apparitions.

Spencer is real and my friend

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Remember your posts are being judged.

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Oct 25, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Demilich posted:

Remember your posts are being judged.

somethingawful is merely a tendril of the cosmic forum. permalurkers? yeah those guys are aliens

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Slavvy posted:

What this thread has taught me:

Multiverse is real
Psi is real
Religion is real
Astrology is real
Cosmic consciousness is real
Time is fake
Death is fake
Self is fake
Physics is fake

Tighclops posted:

When I was a kid, probably around 1996 or so I was out looking at a meteor shower one night when I noticed what I thought was a satellite. At the time I thought "Cool! A satellite!" because I was young and hadn't seen one with the naked eye before. As the little point of light moved across the sky it suddenly and abruptly changed direction and began moving horizontally as quickly as it had been moving vertically across the sky, like one of the lightcycles from Tron.

I froze for a second before it dawned on me that human built spacecraft should not be able to do that, at which point I got spooked as hell and ran inside

a few months ago at like 2-3am i saw either a big/low orbit satellite break in two. it was moving across the sky looking very much like the ISS and then all of a sudden it splits into two pieces, and the bigger piece and the littler piece seemed to keep moving roughly parallel at the same speed and brightness as before. then they were behind trees :shrug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gravid Topiary posted:

a few months ago at like 2-3am i saw either a big/low orbit satellite break in two. it was moving across the sky looking very much like the ISS and then all of a sudden it splits into two pieces, and the bigger piece and the littler piece seemed to keep moving roughly parallel at the same speed and brightness as before. then they were behind trees :shrug:

Could've been star link? I think it deploys like that. Though I think there's usually more than two lights when that happens

(THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slavvy posted:

Seemed like you were almost doing like a reverse NDT thing, I certainly wasn't trying to make any kind of point originally beyond shitposting for the hell of it/to wind up any passing Neils. Fwiw I agree with basically everything you've posted itt and I think you're cool and good mostly.

Ah, no. I was seeking specificity by and large and did make some effort to minimize any of my personal beliefs or any dogmatism of any kind but I can see what you mean

Cheers, appreciate you