Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

CRAYON posted:

The only issue I have with the ergonomics of the deck is the shoulder buttons. They feel awkward to press and I usually find myself remapping them to L4/R4.

The bumpers? they're awful, I have to unmap anything important from them. the triggers feel like surprisingly good to use, but overusing them (i usually put jump and dash on them) has led my hands to get sore. so now if there's any one button that has to be used constantly, like pagedown in Chrome, i put it on r4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

CRAYON posted:

The only issue I have with the ergonomics of the deck is the shoulder buttons. They feel awkward to press and I usually find myself remapping them to L4/R4.

That might be something that just comes down to individual hand shape because the shoulder buttons feel great for me

I did find the 4/5 buttons on the back weird at first but after I read somebody saying to press them further in on the back instead of squeezing them (if that makes sense) I love the poo poo out of them now, and using a controller without those buttons feels limited

but after being spoiled by steam controller customization anything without that capability feels limited

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Opopanax posted:

Depends on what you need. Any of the Switch ones out there should fit, but you lose gyro aiming unless they're very thin. I found one on etsy where a guy was 3d printing some that basically had a hole in the middle to fix that. If you don't care about the gyro stuff you have plenty of choices

Thanks I'll check those out. I give 0 fucks about gyro aiming so that opens up the possibilities.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Can't you just change the trigger for gyro to something else anyways?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yes, and I generally prefer to have it on something else so I can make camera adjustments without it "jumping" and/or rest my thumb on the stick for a second. Usually the "aim down the sights" button in FPS games, but I'm thinking one of the normally minimally-used back buttons for games that don't have a specific "aim" button.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well I'm interested in knowing if it solves it! Maybe I should get some old man reading glasses and see lol

Still waiting for my prescription inserts, but while waiting for delivery (still another week), I was cleaning the house and found a really old pair of glasses that were falling apart, and was able to pop out the lenses and jury rig a kind-of insert with tape; not pretty and not something I would actually use beyond just testing, but it did completely clear up all blurry text and lines and everything is sharp now. Tested the Air's with my brothers, both of whom don't have a prescription, and one didn't see any blurriness, but one did (and my lenses made it better for them, but not perfectly clear). Not exactly scientific and a definitive answer to anyone, but apparently a lot of people have slight vision issues and just don't know about it because they don't get an annual vision check and don't have "perfect vision" to compare it to because their correction is so small that it isn't noticeable nor really impacts them at all day-to-day anyways. I'm not an expert on how the tech works (another goon explained earlier better on why RX matters with VR), but it seems that astigmatism matters a lot more than distance vision in this case and at least for me it really messes with this and VR.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 27, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Both of my friends who bought the Airs have glasses, and are currently (as of last I heard) working out their situation. And while I don't need glasses, I can't afford an Air on top of paying for the Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Still waiting for my prescription inserts, but while waiting for delivery (still another week), I was cleaning the house and found a really old pair of glasses that were falling apart, and was able to pop out the lenses and jury rig a kind-of insert with tape; not pretty and not something I would actually use beyond just testing, but it did completely clear up all blurry text and lines and everything is sharp now. Tested the Air's with my brothers, both of whom don't have a prescription, and one didn't see any blurriness, but one did (and my lenses made it better for them, but not perfectly clear). Not exactly scientific and a definitive answer to anyone, but apparently a lot of people have slight vision issues and just don't know about it because they don't get an annual vision check and don't have "perfect vision" to compare it to because their correction is so small that it isn't noticeable nor really impacts them at all day-to-day anyways. I'm not an expert on how the tech works (another goon explained earlier better on why RX matters with VR), but it seems that astigmatism matters a lot more than distance vision in this case and at least for me it really messes with this and VR.

OK thanks that makes sense. I do wear glasses for distance but my wife doesn't need glasses ( she just had a vision test in the last 6 months) and she said the same thing.

They are cool as poo poo but mine are on the way back to amazon unfortunately

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Signalis is out on Steam. Still unverified on the Deck. The art style and mood look amazing and it should be a great fit for the Deck.

https://youtu.be/1okoqNHFlXc

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So it turns out you're not supposed to press the wing part of the paddles like with an Elite controller or the old Steam controller (I think? Been a while). You are supposed to press the inner part that is parallel with the system's backplate.

That was a fun discovery. Buttons aren't supposed to be uncomfortablly hard to press, who would have thought?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I learned that watching teardowns, they’re hinged on the outside at the grip. I assume learning where they’re meant to be pressed is something you’re meant to learn playing Desk Job.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

njsykora posted:

Yeah I learned that watching teardowns, they’re hinged on the outside at the grip. I assume learning where they’re meant to be pressed is something you’re meant to learn playing Desk Job.

I played desk job and it didn't mention how to press it.

Edit: If you haven't played desk job, you ought to. It's super entertaining and only a half hour long.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No it doesn’t say anything but I assume they’re expecting you to figure it out from pressing them for the first time. Which is a bad assumption to make.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Animal posted:

Signalis is out on Steam. Still unverified on the Deck. The art style and mood look amazing and it should be a great fit for the Deck.

https://youtu.be/1okoqNHFlXc

yeah runs good, needs more as 6W for 40Hz (so far good with 8W), flawless otherwise

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

njsykora posted:

No it doesn’t say anything but I assume they’re expecting you to figure it out from pressing them for the first time. Which is a bad assumption to make.

It's maybe a fair assumption for players who have never used a controller with paddles before.

Only ever held 4 different controllers with paddles personally and they've always been the kind where you press the wing or oar-shaped bit.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

is there a sudo on the desktop? like when windows prompts you to do something as admin?

has anybody else tried the itchio app? i tried three games. one worked (i think it's portable) one had an error that thought i didn't own the game, and one couldn't find a necessary file or folder it was supposed to create. i don't want to have to email Itch and go to the official support forum of Nuclear throne or whatever for every little thing :/

i have calibre ebook reader kind of configured, but when i tried to open a book of a filetype without a default viewing app, it wouldn't open up a dialog box to choose one. seems like apps in gaming mode can't open system or app dialog boxes most of the time, why is this?

now, google chrome in gaming mode started opening windowboxed. square or narrower. but if i click in app menus that require more space, it will take up more space on the screen while moving the whole thing to stay centered. why? where is the Control Panel equivalent where i can generally find things like repair installation? if i do that, it'll probably fix it but it might just do it again

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Heran Bago posted:

So it turns out you're not supposed to press the wing part of the paddles like with an Elite controller or the old Steam controller (I think? Been a while). You are supposed to press the inner part that is parallel with the system's backplate.

That was a fun discovery. Buttons aren't supposed to be uncomfortablly hard to press, who would have thought?

After a few months of use the ones on mine loosened up slightly to the point I can fairly easily press either way which I greatly appreciate.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Wow Signalis is surprisingly GPU taxing for a 2D game, even in the menu. I turned off all the options and didn't really notice much of a difference, except film grain where turning it off looks much better.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wow Signalis is surprisingly GPU taxing for a 2D game, even in the menu. I turned off all the options and didn't really notice much of a difference, except film grain where turning it off looks much better.

its 3D, just mostly iso perspective.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mescal posted:

is there a sudo on the desktop? like when windows prompts you to do something as admin?

Yes, but you have to set the password in a terminal with passwd.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So Big Picture mode is now literally just the Steam Deck UI. Even the Steam and quick access buttons work so you could now install Windows on your Deck and still have it work exactly the same if you launch Steam in Big Picture mode on boot. Though apparently there's some weirdness with 40hz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmBh1ipgMrg

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's fantastic. I wanted the Deck UI on my PC so that's just fantastic. They were substantially similar, so I'm not surprised

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's a lot of emulator talk, so maybe goons could help me. About fifteen years ago I had a neo geo emulator on my pc, can't even remember what it was called. Over time I had accumulated a decent collection of roms for it. Sadly I've long lost all this stuff, it was back in the days of ZIP disk backups I no longer have. It would be fun if I could find it again though these days I have no idea where to start. Kinda miss playing Neo Turf Masters.

Is MUGEN still a thing? Because that would be a lot of fun on the deck as well. I have fond memories of Homer Simpson vs Lion-O and other funny match-ups.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Well, I finally got my deck. It's comfortable, well built and I played a lunch-hours worth of Katamari on it. Also, as the thread title implies, the odor from the top vent is interesting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man the Deck UI on Windows runs loving great on the Deck.

Destiny AND MW2 on the go with the Deck UI? Hell yes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Panfilo posted:

There's a lot of emulator talk, so maybe goons could help me. About fifteen years ago I had a neo geo emulator on my pc, can't even remember what it was called. Over time I had accumulated a decent collection of roms for it. Sadly I've long lost all this stuff, it was back in the days of ZIP disk backups I no longer have. It would be fun if I could find it again though these days I have no idea where to start. Kinda miss playing Neo Turf Masters.

Final Burn Alpha is the emulator you want. Also check your PMs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well it was a fun attempt but I'm softlocked in Bloodstained lol. The randomizer is still known to be fully unbeatable occasionally

Rip

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Mescal posted:

has anybody else tried the itchio app? i tried three games. one worked (i think it's portable) one had an error that thought i didn't own the game, and one couldn't find a necessary file or folder it was supposed to create. i don't want to have to email Itch and go to the official support forum of Nuclear throne or whatever for every little thing :/

I do. For itch games that don't have a Linux version, I have itch install the Windows version, but then I don't try to play it using itch... instead I play it through Steam, i.e. add it as a non-Steam game, drilling down into .config/itch/apps to find the appropriate executable. Then I explicitly set the compatibility doohickey in the steam-shortcut properties. FWIW I've been using Proton GE for that, but I'm sure Steam's default Proton would also generally work ... I just ran into one instance (Signs of the Sojourner) where Steam's Proton wouldn't play cutscene video.

OK the potential stumbling-block for this approach is that itch wants to run a "wine" command to do its Windows game installs. If you haven't really reconfigured with your deck's OS then that is not something that is going to happen. Instead, I followed the pointers in this reddit comment to get itch to use the Wine flatpack to install Windows games: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tynrsh/comment/i9tt302/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

There's one glitch in the code in that reddit comment... if you do those things exactly as shown, your little "wine" script won't end up with the "$*" at the end because it's not properly quoted in that example. The "cat" command there should really look like this instead (with the extra backslash added in there):
code:
cat <<EOF > ~/.local/bin/wine
#!/bin/sh
exec flatpak run org.winehq.Wine \$*
EOF
... buuuuut it took me a while to notice that because itch installs seem to work fine even without that fix, so, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One more thing: I do generally use BoilR to help create Steam shortcuts, and it has an option to handle itch games, BUT that only works for Linux-native itch games. This is an issue that the BoilR dev is aware of but there's something (I forget what) standing in the way of addressing it, so manually creating those Steam shortcuts is the way to go for those Windows itch games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Panfilo posted:

Join the Discord, we have such sites to show you: https://discord.gg/mcp79gPXJf

I'm surprised that there's no per-"game" settings for when you're in Docked mode, I'm sure Valve can change it but it would be nice if my Steam Deck automatically switched everything to 15w TDP and all that goodness when I plugged in and went back to my favored 11w when on the go. I'm sure this will get patched in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cowman posted:

I played desk job and it didn't mention how to press it.

Edit: If you haven't played desk job, you ought to. It's super entertaining and only a half hour long.

I guess it's a space thing but they should really have that preinstalled since it's effectively the Deck Tutorial

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JLaw posted:

code:
cat > ~/.local/bin/wine << 'EOF'
#!/bin/sh
exec flatpak run org.winehq.Wine "$@"
EOF
The original version breaks if you try to run wine on a file with a space in its name.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 28, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The new default desktop mode controls are so nice and are pretty close to what I had already mapped to my buttons.

Being able to long press on the menu button to switch to game pad controls is also really nice - it makes playing games so much easier while in desktop mode.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is there a summary of the new desktop mode stuff somewhere? I set custom controls a long time ago so I'm not sure what changed.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there a summary of the new desktop mode stuff somewhere? I set custom controls a long time ago so I'm not sure what changed.

You can save your current controls and preview the default controls before applying it. I’m on the preview branch.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm on a generic dock/dongle and my Samsung HDMI monitor often doesn't get recognized and is listed as DisplayPort-0 with a resolution of 640x480. It works, just doesn't get parsed properly. The only fix is the ol' in-out several times until it comes on properly.

People on the Valve's dock got the same problem?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Both displays I've tried the official dock with (my Hisense 4K TV and Lenovo 1440p monitor) have set themselves to the correct resolution automatically.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just picked up the switch for the first time in a few weeks to download Bayonetta. drat this thing feels TINY to me now. I love the form factor of the switch but it really does feel like holding a phone after using the deck for a while.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Just picked up the switch for the first time in a few weeks to download Bayonetta. drat this thing feels TINY to me now. I love the form factor of the switch but it really does feel like holding a phone after using the deck for a while.

The nice thing about the deck instead of the switch is my wrists and hands don't start cramping and screaming for mercy after an hour holding the drat thing

It's pretty ergonomic!

I went ahead and bought a better carrying case to hold all the cables and dock and stuff because it's a pain lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m trying to replace the L1 bumper because my broke in a drop, but I’m finding that the incumbent bumper has the dpad switches glued to it, whereas the new one from iFixit does not.

Old on left, new on right.

Anyone know how I go about getting a replacement for the dpad switch layer as well? it’s glued on pretty well, so I don’t think I can transfer it. (And the iFixit guide doesn’t mention it at all!) E: searching for the part number on the QR code doesn’t turn anything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what were we using instead of FTP again?